Main Card
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida
Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo (c) vs. Mark Hominick
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jake Shields

theone1982
05-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Really looking forward to this one. Machida will go over Couture if he keeps it off the ground. The St. Pierre-Shields match should be excellent. I don't see St. Pierre losing, but it's quite possible that Shields will put an end to St. Pierre's 30 round winning streak.

partlycloudy
05-01-2011, 01:18 AM
you should post your picks up earlier so we can get some avatar bets going.

:whistle:

theone1982
05-01-2011, 02:10 AM
you should post your picks up earlier so we can get some avatar bets going.

:whistle:

Yeah, that would be cool! I've been on a winning streak lately with my picks.:party:

theone1982
05-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Well, I was right about Machida/Couture. Machida dropped him in the second round.

theone1982
05-01-2011, 06:38 AM
I was right about the GSP/Shields fight too. Though Shields did rough him up a little bit, there was no point when GSP was in danger of losing. I think it's going to take Anderson Silva to take GSP to the limit.

bte
05-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I was right about the GSP/Shields fight too. Though Shields did rough him up a little bit, there was no point when GSP was in danger of losing. I think it's going to take Anderson Silva to take GSP to the limit.

Shields striking is atricious. I have been hearing that GSP next opponent is Nick Diaz.

theone1982
05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Shields striking is atricious. I have been hearing that GSP next opponent is Nick Diaz.

Shields is pretty sloppy, he's had a lot of hype, but hasn't produced too much, in my opinion. I have heard that about Diaz too, but the money match is Silva/GSP.

socal323
05-02-2011, 02:32 AM
i got 8 out of 9 of my picks right
There were some great fights last night. That machida kick was crazy. Just like the silva one. Makdessi has great standup and that spinning backfist ko was great.

bte
05-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Shields is pretty sloppy, he's had a lot of hype, but hasn't produced too much, in my opinion. I have heard that about Diaz too, but the money match is Silva/GSP.

GSP is the type of guys that play it safe. The only weakness of Silva game could be his wrestling. He got taken down repeatedly against Sonnen, but that could be because of his ribs. Although Silva submitted Sonnen. Silva would destroy GSP on the feet and submit him on the ground. Plus what does Silva have to gain by beating up on a smaller opponent.

partlycloudy
05-02-2011, 06:00 AM
i know i'm in the minority on this, but i don't think a silva vs gsp fight will be as exciting as people think. if gsp can't finish guys at 170, what makes people think he'll do better at 185? just look at the size difference between silva and gsp. it's too much.

spider silva vs bones jones is the superfight i wanna see.

:2cent

bte
05-02-2011, 06:10 AM
@Partlycloudy

Dude I am with you. I have voiced this on many MMA forums. The GSP vs. Silva fight does not interest me at all. I would like to see Silva face not Jon Jones, but someone like Gegard Mousasi. Don't look at his fight with Jardine. I believe Gegard won that fight even if he threw an illegal kick. Gegard has good striking and good submissions.

diablito
05-03-2011, 12:49 AM
is it just me... or did Shields look terrible... i mean dude, get a boxing coach... on the other hand, GSP sounded like a hurt pussy after the fight... any word on what happened to his eye?? detached retina maybe??

partlycloudy
05-03-2011, 01:33 AM
is it just me... or did Shields look terrible... i mean dude, get a boxing coach... on the other hand, GSP sounded like a hurt pussy after the fight... any word on what happened to his eye?? detached retina maybe??
eye poke. no permanent damage. shields always looked like that. gsp just made it more noticeable.

partlycloudy
05-03-2011, 01:35 AM
@Partlycloudy

Dude I am with you. I have voiced this on many MMA forums. The GSP vs. Silva fight does not interest me at all. I would like to see Silva face not Jon Jones, but someone like Gegard Mousasi. Don't look at his fight with Jardine. I believe Gegard won that fight even if he threw an illegal kick. Gegard has good striking and good submissions.
silva vs mousasi? sounds interesting. 185 or 205?

:?:

theone1982
05-03-2011, 01:38 AM
eye poke. no permanent damage. shields always looked like that. gsp just made it more noticeable.

HA!:iagree: Shields is a lot of hype. He has potential, but that was a pretty lackluster performance from him.

south ov da border
05-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Shields is only good on the ground, he's not that great in comparison to GSP. Nick Diaz is a good striker, but how long would that last against GSP?

Silva would beat GSP in 3 rounds if it did happen...

bte
05-03-2011, 05:17 AM
silva vs mousasi? sounds interesting. 185 or 205?

:?:

205 of course. Don't let Mousasi fight against Jardine weigh on your mind. I believe that Mousasi won that fight even with the point deduction. I think Mousasi could hang with any of the UFC LHW.

socal323
05-04-2011, 06:22 PM
205 of course. Don't let Mousasi fight against Jardine weigh on your mind. I believe that Mousasi won that fight even with the point deduction. I think Mousasi could hang with any of the UFC LHW.

Mousasi would get destroyed by Jon jones though

bte
05-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Mousasi would get destroyed by Jon jones though

I don't know man. I am not ready to get on the Jones train just yet. True he beat Shogun, but by Shogun admission, he was out of the fight when Jones threw that knee at the beginning of the round. Of course Jones is a problem for anyone with that 84 inch reach that he has.

diablito
05-05-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't know man. I am not ready to get on the Jones train just yet. True he beat Shogun, but by Shogun admission, he was out of the fight when Jones threw that knee at the beginning of the round. Of course Jones is a problem for anyone with that 84 inch reach that he has.

jones is a natural fighter... not striker or wrestler... FIGHTER... he is not losing that title any time soon... no way

south ov da border
05-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Jones is the real deal...

bte
05-06-2011, 03:03 AM
I am not convinced on Jones just yet. I like Jones and a fan. Granted he is the champion, but who has he beaten besides Rua and Bader? Sure you say Vladmir, but he hasn't faced anyone who is top 5 except for Rua. When he faces a Rashad or Rampage or Machida then I be convinced. If he gets a win over one of those three then I change my stance.

The LHW belt is the kind of belt that changes hands every other fight. If he wins in his next match, then I will say that Jones is unstoppable. The fight with Evans will be the real test for Jones in my opinion.

diablito
05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I am not convinced on Jones just yet. I like Jones and a fan. Granted he is the champion, but who has he beaten besides Rua and Bader? Sure you say Vladmir, but he hasn't faced anyone who is top 5 except for Rua. When he faces a Rashad or Rampage or Machida then I be convinced. If he gets a win over one of those three then I change my stance.

The LHW belt is the kind of belt that changes hands every other fight. If he wins in his next match, then I will say that Jones is unstoppable. The fight with Evans will be the real test for Jones in my opinion.

Evans is next... and Jones is going to make quick work of him... Machida in my opinion will be his truest opponent in his weight class.

partlycloudy
05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
The LHW belt is the kind of belt that changes hands every other fight.
agreed. 205 is probably the toughest division to hold onto the belt. if bones jones defends his title as much as spider silva (8 title defenses) or gsp (6 title defenses) then you can give him credit. until then we just have to see.

:geek:

dderek123
05-07-2011, 04:00 AM
Yeah Jones is young and unproven. But he has put on some spectacular performances so far. And he is going to get better as he trains with Greg Jackson. Many think that he is a good example of the fighters that are yet to come to the UFC. The competition is going to be sick! Soon no longer someone like Lesnar can just stroll into the UFC cage with little experience and expect to do well.

Daniel LaRusso
05-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Check this out. Machida with Mr. Miyagi in his corner!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81489332/?lt=em

bte
05-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Yeah Jones is young and unproven. But he has put on some spectacular performances so far. And he is going to get better as he trains with Greg Jackson. Many think that he is a good example of the fighters that are yet to come to the UFC. The competition is going to be sick! Soon no longer someone like Lesnar can just stroll into the UFC cage with little experience and expect to do well.

The opponents that Jones has faced with the exception of Rua has not been top 5. His only impressive "victory" was against Hamill, which he technically loss via DQ. Although I will say that Jones is a threat to anyone. Not really with his striking but his reach as well.