PDA

View Full Version : MTA Strike.................................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-14-2005, 12:10 PM
If there is a transit strike no one driving a car is allowed fewer than 4 people in the car............

for those of you that have no idea about the NY MTA let me put it like this.....
technically they aren't allowed to strike
regardless of that since they are planning on striking they will basically shut DOWN NYC during it's busiest time of the year...............

many of them make well over six figures annually with overtime

personally I'm wondering if many of these assholes have forgotten that the city is still hustling to recover financially from 9/11

romeodred
12-14-2005, 02:26 PM
When you say many...you are absolutely wrong. So get it straight. You read some articles between 10 & 15 years ago showing , and I'll be extremely, extremely, extremely generous, 50 employees making six figures in overtime...well there are roughly 25,000 employees working for transit. And when that happened, essentially those people never went home. They basically gave up their lives for a solid year to increase their pension. Now transit goes by the average of your last three years of service. THAT OVERTIME SH*T IS OVER, and I know because I work there. Overtime is looked at every week! And let me put the record straight, I'm not in the union. Quite frankly NYCT has the lowest paid transit workers in the country! And they run 24/7! 911 has nothing to do with their salaries so you're wrong there also. And if you mean crippling the city during the holidays is a bad move because we're recovering from 911 don't be angry with the workers (write a letter to Bush). Transit has the money to pay. They have over a billion dollars. And if they're saying they have that, you know it's more. And these assholes as you put it ARE THE LIFE BLOOD OF THIS CITY. And please don't go talking about how bad the service is. Reality check...this is New York Freakin' City. We move over a million people a day (with their hang-ups, problems, illnesses, craziness and whatever). And you know how New Yorkers are! Ask anybody in the customer service business in this city. Everyone is in a rush, everyone is late. 85% of the delays in service is caused by the public. There is no where else in this country you can travel the distances you do here for the price you pay. And I believe the subway should be free. Let Wall Street pay for it. OK now...Let me get off this rant...And don't worry, there won't be a strike. The Taylor Law basically takes two additional days pay away for everyday you're on strike. So you lose the day's pay for not being at work, then you lose two more days pay in fines. if there was a strike it wouldn't last a week. Five days would equal fifteen days lost pay and you know most people are living paycheck to paycheck. There won't be a strike. Our Mayor won't let it happen. The money is there.

Quinn
12-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Romeodred,

You're probably a good guy and all, but you need to understand that the overwhelming majority of NYC residents loathe both the Transport Workers Union and the MTA. From their perspective, you are overpaid for what is widely regarded as increasingly substandard performance. If you guys strike, you will have less sympathy and generate more anger than any strike in this city’s recent memory.

-Quinn

Kramer
12-14-2005, 06:13 PM
A strike WILL NOT HAPPEN. The TWU 100 is a joke, and are paid under the table to take bad deals. Its been that way in the past, and will remain that way. If they didnt strike in 2002, they wont strike now!!

BeardedOne
12-14-2005, 07:14 PM
I was just an itty-bitty guy when ATU 589 struck the (Boston) MTA in the early 60's, but I appreciated the long walk I took to work on the day that its succesor agency, the MBTA (Or "T") had its "sick out" in the late 70's.

Boston transit was always held together by a certain work ethic until the retirement of Edward G. Dana in 1959. Dana rose up through the ranks from conductor for the Boston El to become that company's president in 1919 (Though I recollect that he also married General Bancroft's daughter to get a familial tie to the company as well). Dana had good relations and understanding with the Carmen's Union Local 589 of the AASERMCEA/ATU and most labor strains were mediated quickly without any disruption of service. After his retirement, the leadership went to management school and later political party men that chafed the unions to no end. One of the early post-Dana managers even wound up as the central figure in Boston's contribution to the GM/National City Lines scandal of that era (See Who Framed Roger Rabbit for a comic take on that).

The rift between union and management in Boston's transit is most evident in things like the popular "How many ATU members does it take to change a lightbulb?". The scary fact: Five. The Motorman to run the line car, the Conductor to tell the motorman when to stop, go, back up, etc., the Brakeman to make sure the Motorman stops the car, the Electrician to make sure the light socket is working properly, and a Laborer to actually install the official Phillips Street Railway Bulb. The union has fought to keep anachronistic jobs such as Conductor and Brakemen for decades since the positions were made obsolete by automatic signaling equipment and reliable air brake systems. <Thinking> Though it's possible/likely that two of those positions are IBEW and not ATU.

Hey, JWBL, if they strike can I come up and play with their trains? I learned how to run them when I was 13 and spent a day last summer playing with one of the old IRT cars. :)

slinky
12-14-2005, 09:02 PM
I am so glad I walk to work.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
When you say many...you are absolutely wrong. So get it straight. You read some articles between 10 & 15 years ago showing , and I'll be extremely, extremely, extremely generous, 50 employees making six figures in overtime...well there are roughly 25,000 employees working for transit. And when that happened, essentially those people never went home. They basically gave up their lives for a solid year to increase their pension. Now transit goes by the average of your last three years of service. THAT OVERTIME SH*T IS OVER, and I know because I work there. Overtime is looked at every week! And let me put the record straight, I'm not in the union. Quite frankly NYCT has the lowest paid transit workers in the country!
Considering there aren't a plethora of transit companies for machines like 'subways' in the United States I'd find it hard to believe that cities such as Chicago and even Los Angeles with their "never finished completely" subway system are paying their workers more than you guys

And they run 24/7! 911 has nothing to do with their salaries so you're wrong there also. And if you mean crippling the city during the holidays is a bad move because we're recovering from 911 don't be angry with the workers (write a letter to Bush).
It does cripple the city, I could care less if it's 50 out of the 25k or the whole 25k that goes on strike, you signed up for a job that you get PAID for and now that you have that job (something people in NYC that don't have jobs would love to have) you strike during the most important time to basically make a statement, because being a former city worker I can assure you whatever settlement you'd get from the city would not be instantaneous, it would be given to you gradually over time

Transit has the money to pay. They have over a billion dollars. And if they're saying they have that, you know it's more. And these assholes as you put it ARE THE LIFE BLOOD OF THIS CITY.
Yall aren't the lifeblood of the city, get a grip dred, the lifeblood of the city is the corner store.................lol at any point 24 hours 7 days a week you can walk out of your apt and go down the street to the CORNERSTORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the owner will always be there with the cat on the bread, and the 40 oz. ice cold for the "homies" and the milk never spoiled, that's the LIFE BLOOD OF THIS CITY, without the cornerstore we'd all be screwed...................

And please don't go talking about how bad the service is. Reality check...this is New York Freakin' City. We move over a million people a day (with their hang-ups, problems, illnesses, craziness and whatever). And you know how New Yorkers are! Ask anybody in the customer service business in this city. Everyone is in a rush, everyone is late. 85% of the delays in service is caused by the public. There is no where else in this country you can travel the distances you do here for the price you pay. And I believe the subway should be free. Let Wall Street pay for it. OK now...Let me get off this rant...And don't worry, there won't be a strike. The Taylor Law basically takes two additional days pay away for everyday you're on strike. So you lose the day's pay for not being at work, then you lose two more days pay in fines. if there was a strike it wouldn't last a week. Five days would equal fifteen days lost pay and you know most people are living paycheck to paycheck. There won't be a strike. Our Mayor won't let it happen. The money is there.

The service isn't bad, it's actually quite good, if you use it. I hardly use the subway system but when I did last Saturday the workers on the train were more helpful than I thought they ever would be. And you're wrong with that 85% shit, 85% of the delays in service is caused by the subway rats................ that's right I said it Subway rats...........you all know those big fuckin rats will fuck up a train track at any given point in time, but do you muhfuckas set out glue traps, noooooooooooooooooooo

and you're right yall ain't striking, It's Christmas and you like every other New Yorker needs to get that Xbox 360 or Ipod Nano for ya kid(s), you just talk a good game. Only problem is Bloomberg don't givafuck........... he'd rather fire yall (if he had the power to do so) and hire new people with an iron-clad contract that go through this bullshit

nuff said
p.s. romeo you still my bro, lol, you transit strikin muhfucka

BeardedOne
12-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Considering there aren't a plethora of transit companies for machines like 'subways' in the United States I'd find it hard to believe that cities such as Chicago and even Los Angeles with their "never finished completely" subway system are paying their workers more than you guys

Does anyone have the current figures handy? :)

Boston once held the crown for highest paid transit workers in the nation, but this is stale news (I haven't been in the loop, so to speak, in a couple of decades). The formula includes benefits packages that can almost double the hourly wage, but which are "invisible" to the workers until they kick in at retirement/illness/death. An example is my own federal pay package which claims a figure more than 40% higher than my actual gross salary in unpaid dollar amounts such as sick leave, unused vacation leave, retirement "value", etc.

It must be good, though, as the rare call for operators is answered by thousands who are then chosen by lottery.

popperluv
12-14-2005, 10:02 PM
http://nydailynews.com/front/story/285955p-244831c.html

Do they really deserve a raise?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-14-2005, 10:04 PM
http://nydailynews.com/front/story/285955p-244831c.html

Do they really deserve a raise?

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

LMAO

oh and Bearded, my apologies for forgetting Boston, Yankees fan, I blank Boston out alot

happyjack
12-14-2005, 10:17 PM
If there is a transit strike no one driving a car is allowed fewer than 4 people in the car............

for those of you that have no idea about the NY MTA let me put it like this.....
technically they aren't allowed to strike
regardless of that since they are planning on striking they will basically shut DOWN NYC during it's busiest time of the year...............

many of them make well over six figures annually with overtime

personally I'm wondering if many of these assholes have forgotten that the city is still hustling to recover financially from 9/11

technically speaking,the workers are considered humans too,not that you would know that by interacting with any of them... :twisted:

BeardedOne
12-14-2005, 10:19 PM
oh and Bearded, my apologies for forgetting Boston, Yankees fan, I blank Boston out alot

No prob. I do my best to forget Boston a lot myself (And it has nothing to do with baseball). :)

romeodred
12-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Again...No one is looking for sympathy from the riders of New York. They are looking for a fair wage compared to everyone else in the transportation industry. No, not everyone has subways but there are buses. But there are other transportation industries like LIRR, AMTrak, Bay Area Rapid Transit, MART, SEPTA, DART... and Chicago and LA are paying more FYI ...even worldwide. And no one has the sheer volume NYCT has. NO ONE comes close. Again people talk about how they're treated by civil servants. I don't condone it all. I can't condone a-hole civil servants and I can't condone a-hole NYers. But believe you me, there are more a-hole NYers than there are civil servants. People are people and then there are NYers. How we think, what we expect, what we won't tolerate. How many of you get spit on at your job? How many of you get punched in your face by some delinquent on your job? How about facing that possibility every stop on a subway for 8+ hours? How many of you get berated by someone already late when they left the house. And no, no one signed on for that when they took the job. Now some say be happy you have a job. You get paid...do your job. Well this is ther real world and there is a contract expiring. That's the way it is. Now if your contract was expiring what would you do? Would you want a raise? The union didn't time this contract to expire during the holidays. Eveybody else got a raise in the city. The teachers, NYPD, FDNY etc. And dred has a grip, everyone don't work in the corner store. I guess you gonna buy that Xmas present at the corner store too. LOL! JWBL, local 100 is a weak union...no way there's going to be a strike. Even if it was a strong union they wouldn't do it on the holidays. Despite popular belief, the workers have hearts and they are NYers too.

I hear ya JWBL...forever my homie!!!!

romeodred
12-14-2005, 11:10 PM
BTW..I don't have to have four people in my car...LOL!!!

romeodred
12-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Seriously...when they strike tomorrow...if anyone needs a ride...I'm available, you'll get the HA discount. I'm not going to Queens, sorry... LOL

Quinn
12-14-2005, 11:33 PM
The thing I don’t get is why they are calling for a restriction on cars with less than 4 passengers from going below 96th street starting at 5AM and ending at 11AM? There's little traffic in Manhattan until 6:30/7:00AM, and it sure as hell doesn't last until 11AM.

One thing is for sure, if there is a strike, I'm going to have to listen to my wife bitch to no end because she works in mid-town. Now, my wife very rarely complains about much of anything, but on the rare occasions she does – it just doesn't fucking stop. There better not be a strike.

-Quinn

flabbybody
12-15-2005, 01:39 AM
romeo:
one of the MTA demands is that new hires contribute 2% toward health care insurance. I don't think that's too unreasonable. It doesn't affect current workers , who will continue to enjoy fully paid for benefits.

BeardedOne
12-15-2005, 01:41 AM
The thing I don’t get is why they are calling for a restriction on cars with less than 4 passengers from going below 96th street starting at 5AM and ending at 11AM? There's little traffic in Manhattan until 6:30/7:00AM, and it sure as hell doesn't last until 11AM.

Take that formula and subtract the three subway divisions, LIRR, possible sympathy slowdowns by Metro North, CDOT, PATH and all related surface lines and then add all the automobiles, jitneys, bicycles, pedestrians, limos, etc. that such a stoppage/slowdown would produce.

Trust me, there can be a =lot= of traffic there during the odd hours.

EdelweissFan
12-15-2005, 01:49 AM
A couple of thoughts on the Transit situation.

First of all, if you have been riding the trains for decades, you have to realize that they have made heroic improvements in service, and the employees have played a major role in those improvements.

As for the money, it's pathetic that Bloomberg can scheme to rip off the MTA for $300 million dollars worth of Manhattan real estate to give away as FREE MONEY to his friends for a stadium, then have the fucking nerve to turn around and try to rip off another $100 million from the MTA's Brooklyn real estate to give to another bunch of greedy billionaire friends for the Ratner organization and no one blinks an eye. Yeah, they have an extra $400 billion for corporate welfare for the two or so richest bastards in the city.

But when the MTA workers want a raise similar to what cops and teachers have gotten, everyone pretends the poor MTA has no money, and the transit workers are greedy.

Steal big -- your ok. Steal little --your screwed ...not BTW that I am saying the workers would be stealing to get a raise, just stating a fact of life.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-15-2005, 01:53 AM
BTW..I don't have to have four people in my car...LOL!!!

yes you Do nukka, I'm gonna make sure I find 3 old cronies to sit in your whip, just for strike spite, muhfucka........................LOL

and fuck you I aint doin my Xmas shopping in a bodega, except for Vicki's present, gonna buy her punk ass an afro pick

BeardedOne
12-15-2005, 03:09 AM
Still, ya gotta love a subway system so huge that a shop foreman was able to hide an entire five-car IRT train from the inventory for a significant amount of time. :)

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-15-2005, 03:13 AM
there's old levels to the NYC subway that are hidden under concrete

things that would go right in a Museum are down there

i.e. old lights, old ticket machines, old guard rails, old mobsters, etc.

romeodred
12-15-2005, 03:42 AM
JWBL...Who luv's ya baby!

BeardedOne
12-15-2005, 03:54 AM
there's old levels to the NYC subway that are hidden under concrete

things that would go right in a Museum are down there

i.e. old lights, old ticket machines, old guard rails, old mobsters, etc.

I used to go spelunking down the subways in Boston (This was before they shot at people for doing that) and it was amusing what you could find down there. Some old stations were used as Civil Defense shelters and were filled wall-to-wall with emergency supplies while other tunnels, in later years, were used to hide the authority's greatest embarrassments (Boeing-Vertol LRVs that had died horrible deaths from poor design).

Of course, when one wants to talk about municipal waste in regards to transit, one only has to look to the massive subway project in Cincinatti. Near completion just before the depression, the project was halted and never restarted. Tunnels and stations never had track installed, no trains were purchased. Cute second chapter, though. In the eighties and nineties, as mass transit was reawakening, Cinci applied to the DOT for grants to build a modern subway system and the DOT said the city had to come up with 50% of the project funds. The city pointed to the old tunnels and stations and said "Been there, did that, give us our free money!". They almost got away with it, too, had they not built an interstate on the surface right-of-way, blocking a central part of the viable project.

romeodred
12-15-2005, 03:54 AM
Don't worry people...who have my personal assurance there will be no strike. And with my assurance and a MetroCard you can get a ride on the train...

Think about it for a second. One day they say they have a deficit. Weeks later...over a billion dollars is found! A freakin' billion! How does a public agency make a billion dollar profit? They make it through the hard work and sacrifice of the employees. You know what they tell us everyday at work....Do more with less. Then bingo...a billion dollar surplus. And then they don't want to give a cost of living wage increase??? If that's stealing... It's the workers that are being robbed.

And you're right JWBL..the subway is a city within our city. People don't realize the sheer vastness of the system. There are levels upon levels upon levels that haven't been used for over a century. There are not just people living in the system, there are families. And some of these people are coo-coo for coco-puffs.

Reddman
12-15-2005, 09:16 AM
A couple of thoughts on the Transit situation.

First of all, if you have been riding the trains for decades, you have to realize that they have made heroic improvements in service, and the employees have played a major role in those improvements.

As for the money, it's pathetic that Bloomberg can scheme to rip off the MTA for $300 million dollars worth of Manhattan real estate to give away as FREE MONEY to his friends for a stadium, then have the fucking nerve to turn around and try to rip off another $100 million from the MTA's Brooklyn real estate to give to another bunch of greedy billionaire friends for the Ratner organization and no one blinks an eye. Yeah, they have an extra $400 billion for corporate welfare for the two or so richest bastards in the city.
But when the MTA workers want a raise similar to what cops and teachers have gotten, everyone pretends the poor MTA has no money, and the transit workers are greedy.

Steal big -- your ok. Steal little --your screwed ...not BTW that I am saying the workers would be stealing to get a raise, just stating a fact of life.

BTW last time contract time rolled around the MTA cried broke. The city comptroller and the AG found a second ( hell it coulda been a third) set of books. What the f#$k became of that boondoggle???? Nada after a few weeks, so my sense of confidence and fair play definitely sides more with the rank and file.

Kramer
12-15-2005, 09:14 PM
The problem is that the union is corrupt. They are bought, plain and simple. Thats why there wont be a strike. I worked there for 14 years and was furious every contract year. There was smokescreens and no results. Believe me the MTA is horrible to work for, and the TWU 100 is bought! :evil:

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-16-2005, 01:05 AM
6 hours left

you strikin bastards

and I know you wanna say something Romeo, that Haitian leader you got thinking he's gonna make a statement only hurts YOUR pocket!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO

Bigups the dollar vans who will profit SUBSTANTIALLY from a strike

(for those of you that dont know what a dollar van is, picture a Ford Econoline with about 4 or 5 rows with each rider paying $1 to travel a distance)

I should go down to the Gran Hyatt Hotel and throw some eggs at you striking bastards, I'll bring Pataki & Bloomberg with me

Quinn
12-16-2005, 01:11 AM
We're definitely getting close to some serious 11th hour brinksmanship.
Could get interesting.

-Quinn

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-16-2005, 01:14 AM
NY1 just said that people that participated in the 80's strike WILL LOSE THEIR JOBS if they participate in this strike..........................

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quinn
12-16-2005, 01:49 AM
IMO, if the TWU strikes, two things should happen:

a) The union should be fined into the ground;

b) All strikers should be fired, period.

Eight Percent a year for the next three years. Are you fucking kidding me?

-Quinn

romeodred
12-16-2005, 03:04 AM
Unfortunately homeboyz...this is America. You don't get fired for going on strike. Let me make something clear. I'M MANAGEMENT. I haven't been in the union since 1995. A BILLION DOLLARS FOLKS!!! A BILLION DOLLARS!!! JWBL...where is that f*cking Pataki??? Some Governor we have. He's not even in the state! And Quinn, don't hate...participate. No, they're not kidding!!! You wish you could get 8% doncha??? And the thing is....it ain't coming out your pocket. STOP HATING! They already have the money! Some og y'all sound like a the bunch who hate A-Rod for his contract yet you'd sign it in a minute if it was you. Now you know you can't trust management . Like it was said earlier. Last contract they said they didn't have any loot. Right after the contract....Lookeee here...CASH MONEY!!! Where'd that come from? Wake up and smell. The union ain't the only krooks...so are those bastards in the blue suits and the burgundy ties. What ever happened to "Power to the People"? I never thought Id see a bunch of regular hardworking joes siding with the MAN? WTF!!!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-16-2005, 04:40 AM
JWBL...where is that f*cking Pataki??? Some Governor we have. He's not even in the state!

He's in NYC right now actually

Quinn
12-16-2005, 04:44 AM
Unfortunately homeboyz...this is America. You don't get fired for going on strike. Let me make something clear. I'M MANAGEMENT. I haven't been in the union since 1995. A BILLION DOLLARS FOLKS!!! A BILLION DOLLARS!!! JWBL...where is that f*cking Pataki??? Some Governor we have. He's not even in the state! And Quinn, don't hate...participate. No, they're not kidding!!! You wish you could get 8% doncha??? And the thing is....it ain't coming out your pocket. STOP HATING! They already have the money! Some og y'all sound like a the bunch who hate A-Rod for his contract yet you'd sign it in a minute if it was you. Now you know you can't trust management . Like it was said earlier. Last contract they said they didn't have any loot. Right after the contract....Lookeee here...CASH MONEY!!! Where'd that come from? Wake up and smell. The union ain't the only krooks...so are those bastards in the blue suits and the burgundy ties. What ever happened to "Power to the People"? I never thought Id see a bunch of regular hardworking joes siding with the MAN? WTF!!!

To answer your question, I run a successful investment company and own a shit load of real estate, so an 8% increase in my earnings wouldn’t make a bit of difference to me. That said, this isn’t about you and I; it’s about the city. Your point concerning the MTA misrepresenting its financial status is dead on – and no one has disputed that. However, this isn’t about the MTA. It is about the union threatening a strike – which you and I would probably both agree won’t even happen – because they want an 8% increase annually for the next three years. That’s roughly twice the rate of inflation and is completely unwarranted by any measure of common sense or performance. Anything north of 4% is too much.

One more thing: If you believe they can’t be fired for striking, you are wrong.

-Quinn

romeodred
12-16-2005, 09:48 PM
So what are you saying??? You're only beef is the threat of a strike? Oh, it's 8% you have a problem with. Well if 8% is twice the rate of inflation and you're saying anything over 4% is too much....you're saying NO RAISE! I say that's unwarranted. Raises are suppose to be just that...a raise. Again...a BILLION DOLLARS. You seem to gloss over that. Well, unfortunately we aren't all are rich like you and 8% would make a dent in most peoples income. I am happy for you that 8% means nothing in your world... Funny how you have a problem with someone else getting something that is meanlingless to you...But I see you're management. Well as you know when negotiating you ask for the sun and settle for the earth. You know and I know 8% is out the question. Again, A BILLION DOLLARS. Every other city agency who had their contract up recently got their money...no it wasn't 8% but is wasn't 4% either.

romeodred
12-16-2005, 10:06 PM
What other leverage does the Union have but the threat of a strike? Would MTA care? Would the Mayor care? Would the City care? Would you care? No... You made it clear you have a problem with the union. The MTA has the money...more than enough...but it's the union, in your opinion, that's jamming the city. Not the MTA. Not the MTA. They can give millions of dollars away with these fare incentives for the holidays without consulting anyone, and I believe some higher ups have a problem with that also. But it's the union, who without the threat of a strike would have absolutely no clout, that are the bad guys... You honestly think the MTA cares if the union strikes? They won't be the bad guys if there is a strike. They could have 50 billion dollars and the union would still be the bad guys. I am happy to say that a lot of interviews have the people saying the MTA should come up off that cash.

Quinn
12-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Regarding my financial status, you asked a question, and I answered it. The fact is that I was once very poor and nearly killed myself (literally) getting to where I am, so don’t expect me to feel guilty about it.

As far as the MTA is concerned, you seem to be of the opinion that I am giving them a free pass. I’m not. They are a bunch of lying scumbags, period. However, your writings convey the opinion that everything is exclusively the fault of the MTA. I disagree. Take a look at the TWU. Look at the poor performance of its members. Look at the pervasive corruption and incompetence. Defend the TWU’s criminal behavior all you want, but, frankly speaking, 4% is as much as they deserve. The TWU – and Local 100 in particular – is an embarrassment to unions everywhere.

-Quinn

romeodred
12-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Criminal behavior??? LOL! You're funny! The pervasive corruption and incompetence? By who? The rank and file? LOL! News flash... nobody is perfect. No organization is perfect. This is the real world my man. Get off you throne and see the world as it is. There is corruption and incompetence is all levels of organizations, businesses, unions, politics, clubs, families, whatever... At least you say the MTA a bunch of lying scumbags. Saying that meaqns you're not giving them a free pass? Yes it does cuz that's all you're saying. But you still didn't answer my question. If there was no threat of a strike, would you give a sh*t? Would anyone? And the 4%? Well that's your humble opinion. I disagree. I may be wrong. If I am it's not the first time and it won't be the last. AND EVERYTHING IS THE FAULT OF THE MTA. Productivity is up, ridership is up, service is better (of course it's not perfect), and they got a BILLION dollar surplus! How would you treat your employee's if your busness did the same? Give them a cost of living increase (which is not a raise by the way). Oh, you'd pinpoint isolated incidents and cry incompetence and corruption. Ypu'd say I should have a TWO BILLION dollar surplus if you jerk-offs weren't such criminals. This is getting us no where my brother. Much respect to you, your family and your accomplishments. I wish you the best personally and for your family this holiday season and beyond. Hopefully we can meet one day and share a drink. God Bless!

Quinn
12-18-2005, 01:35 AM
This is getting us no where my brother. Much respect to you, your family and your accomplishments. I wish you the best personally and for your family this holiday season and beyond. Hopefully we can meet one day and share a drink. God Bless!

You're right, this isn't getting us anywhere. With regard to this specific topic, we'll just have to agree to respectfully disagree. Your holiday wishes are genuinely appreciated. I, too, wish good fortune for you and your loved ones in the coming year. Stay strong.

-Quinn

yourdaddy
12-18-2005, 01:44 AM
I was a union member (I.A.T. S. E.) when S.A.G. (Screen Actors Guild) called a strike. You know what happened? All the production went to Canada. The SAG members had the best benefits, insurance, pay scale, etc., of any union in America. A couple of hot-head union leaders screwed up a good thing, and this country has NEVER recovered from that loss to the film industry. There is no democracy in a union. The rank and file have no vote.

chefmike
12-18-2005, 03:02 AM
I was a union member (I.A.T. S. E.) when S.A.G. (Screen Actors Guild) called a strike. You know what happened? All the production went to Canada. The SAG members had the best benefits, insurance, pay scale, etc., of any union in America. A couple of hot-head union leaders screwed up a good thing, and this country has NEVER recovered from that loss to the film industry. There is no democracy in a union. The rank and file have no vote.

:arrow:

Quinn
12-18-2005, 06:49 AM
LMAO @ the scab pic. It Brings to mind a funny nickname my friends and I used to have for this guy. Here’s the story:

Growing up, my one friend used to have a father who was this strung out Vietnam vet type. Not surprisingly, his dick of a father died of a heroin overdose when my friend was in his mid-teens. Anyway, his none to virtuous mother hooked up with his father's best friend within like 5 weeks of the guy’s death. In less than two months the new guy was living in my friend’s house trying to be his new father. No one liked the guy at all, so we came up with a nickname befitting his unique status: Scab Dad.

-Quinn

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-21-2005, 01:12 AM
why there was another thread started is beyond me
but anyway

YEAH you muhfuckas are striking, costing us money, costing you money, fuck yall
lol

and props to you TWU muhfuckas on NY1 with the Jay Z hat over the eyes look so no one knows who you are

yourdaddy
12-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Well chefmike, scabs sound pretty good right now, don't they?

AllanahStarrNYC
12-21-2005, 01:17 AM
im so over this fucking strike- and the mta workers.

i had to walk 34 blocks today and pay $20 for a cab ride and would cost 10 regularly.

thank you to the mta workers for fucking up the lives of all the people who depend on mass transit and all of those who are affected by the city's contingency plan. thank you for costing the city $400 million dollars just today-

merry fucking christmas

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-21-2005, 01:20 AM
thank you to the mta workers for fucking up the lives of all the people who depend on mass transit and all of those who are affected by the city's contingency plan. thank you for costing the city $400 million dollars just today-

merry fucking christmas

co-sign

and I would like to say that this is just making NY'ers stronger, people offering free rides to strangers from Shea Stadium????????????

unreal

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-21-2005, 02:29 AM
LOL @ former Senator D'Amato saying on NY1 that the head of the TWU in NYC is not running it..............

Kramer
12-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Some of you people have no idea of what negotiating is all about. Without the threat of a strike the MTA will never negotiate in good faith, why should they? Its sickening how the media is making the union out to be the bad guys! What about the damn MTA? They want what they want and thats it! Well that isnt how it works.

I was wrong earlier I never thought they would strike, but im happy for them.

BOATER
12-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Agreed, you need the threat of strike for good negotiating. But when you are part of a municiple gov't, whether it by city, state or federal that power is limited. Thank to Pres Reagan.

Now what the MTA did with the surplus was wrong. But TWU will have little sympathy from most of the working class. There wages, benefits and pension plans are well better off than 90% of any other occupation. This is a fairly good gig for the majority of worker who have a HS Diploma at most.
I believe that could have gotten more accomplished by having a slow down, doing everything by the book.

Quinn
12-22-2005, 01:09 AM
One thing's for certain. Public sentiment has largely turned against the TWU. They’re getting trounced in the PR battle. People are really pissed.

-Quinn

BOATER
12-22-2005, 01:31 AM
I've been taking advantage of the 6 hour work days because of the strike. Though I spent 2 hours today on line in Post Ofiice to mail a package after I left work. Other than that I've used the time to get some last minute Christmas gifts.
Any after the strike there sure will be plenty of OT to make up for lost production. I know Pres Bush isn't happy giving us 2 hours off every day for the strike. So the TWU will be paying those fines. A few fays alone is costing the Fed a few million in it NYC offices alone.

flabbybody
12-22-2005, 04:54 AM
this absolutely sucks

can't get to Northern Blvd to see my favorite girl

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-22-2005, 06:14 AM
this absolutely sucks

can't get to Northern Blvd to see my favorite girl

We Li'ers aren't really affected by this
it's basically a typical day & night driving here

Quinn
12-22-2005, 10:06 PM
It looks like it's all over. TWU Local 100 is pushing for amnesty from Taylor Law realted fines. Good luck :roll:

-Quinn

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-22-2005, 11:05 PM
It looks like it's all over. TWU Local 100 is pushing for amnesty from Taylor Law realted fines. Good luck :roll:

-Quinn

to be honest it was over yesterday when Bloomberg called them thugs

LOL

but it officially ended when the TWU went to talk at 6am

Legend
12-23-2005, 12:40 AM
They should have fired all those workers in my opinion is wasnt like they were working at sweatshops and yet they stil bitched.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-23-2005, 12:45 AM
They should have fired all those workers in my opinion is wasnt like they were working at sweatshops and yet they stil bitched.

co-sign

considering 90% of them only got the jobs with a high school diploma, I think it's safe to say anyone could have been trained to do the job

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I know I'll hear it for that one

Legend
12-23-2005, 12:48 AM

co-sign

considering 90% of them only got the jobs with a high school diploma, I think it's safe to say anyone could have been trained to do the job

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I know I'll hear it for that one

those bitches really went of strike because they could.they caused so much choas because they just wanted too. That crap sorta pisses me off

BeardedOne
12-23-2005, 02:31 AM

I learned how to operate subway trains when I was thirteen (And I know that strikes terror into the hearts of the legal and claims department), but the real skill is being able to stop a few tons of steel on a dime.

Now I'm in a grunt job where the supervisor announces to all the rookies that "...a trained chimpanzee could do this!" and wonders why all the temps bail in the first week. :roll: