PDA

View Full Version : Snipers (off-topic)

BeardedOne
12-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey, I said this post was off topic

Well, it's on-topic for this...um...topic. :)

There was a film a couple of years back (Enemy at the Gate) with Jude Law as the WWII Soviet soldier that became a national hero with his sniping skills. I don't recall the man's name offhand, but he became such a national icon that I believe he was buried in or near Lenin's tomb in honor of the enormous boost in morale that his duty gave to the Soviet army.

Quinn
12-12-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm reading this book about the history of snipers in war, and I have to share this with someone:

When Germany invaded Russia in WWII, TWELVE THOUSAND Germans were killed by snipers.

When Russia invaded Finland in 1939, over 1.5 MILLION Russkies went in, barely half a million made it home.

That's freakin' amazing!

Rant over :roll:

Russia's invasion of Finland during 1939 (the Winter War) is one of history's most interesting conflicts. The Finns fought brilliantly; conversely, the Soviets were completely unprepared to launch this sort of campaign due to logistical and command issues. Stalin's purges played a major role in crippling the Red Army prior to this conflict. Many historians think that the Red Army's abysmal performance during this conflict is what encouraged Hitler to plan Operation Barbarossa.

-Quinn

shifty
12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
A good book to read about snipers is "Marine Sniper" by Carlos Hathcock, USMC. He had 95 confirmed kills before he got badly wounded in Vietnam. His account of going after a vietnamese sniper is amazing. Shot him through his scope, like in "Enema at the Gates". Once captured a company of vietnamese by making them think they were up against overwhelming odds.

Quinn
12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
A good book to read about snipers is "Marine Sniper" by Carlos Hathcock, USMC.

I read it. Definitely a great read.

-Quinn

Andrew Johnson
12-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I saw a documentary about WWII snipers, and the Russians used a lot of women as snipers. The theory was that they would be more patient and wait a lot longer for that perfect shot than men.

fishman33
12-13-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm reading this book about the history of snipers in war, and I have to share this with someone:

When Germany invaded Russia in WWII, TWELVE THOUSAND Germans were killed by snipers.

When Russia invaded Finland in 1939, over 1.5 MILLION Russkies went in, barely half a million made it home.

That's freakin' amazing!

Rant over :roll:

Russia's invasion of Finland during 1939 (the Winter War) is one of history's most interesting conflicts. The Finns fought brilliantly; conversely, the Soviets were completely unprepared to launch this sort of campaign due to logistical and command issues. Stalin's purges played a major role in crippling the Red Army prior to this conflict. Many historians think that the Red Army's abysmal performance during this conflict is what encouraged Hitler to plan Operation Barbarossa.

-Quinn

also the fact that Germans fought along side the Finns gave Hitler the impression he could defeat the soviets. Luckily for the free world, he under estimated the Russians and their winter.

fishman33
12-13-2005, 12:52 AM
A good book to read about snipers is "Marine Sniper" by Carlos Hathcock, USMC. He had 95 confirmed kills before he got badly wounded in Vietnam. His account of going after a vietnamese sniper is amazing. Shot him through his scope, like in "Enema at the Gates". Once captured a company of vietnamese by making them think they were up against overwhelming odds.

lol at 'Enema' at the gates. was that intentional?

BeardedOne
12-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Once captured a company of vietnamese by making them think they were up against overwhelming odds.

Let's not forget Alvin York and his admirable performance as a turkey during a battle of WWI. :) York clucked and gobbled and tweaked the curiosity of entrenched German machine gunners who he then picked off, one by one, as they prairie-dogged their heads into sight trying to figure out what the strange noises were.

steven_638
12-13-2005, 06:21 AM
It's amazing to think that just one sniper on a battlefield can change the outcome of a battle. Sharpshooters played a large part in the American war of Independence...[/quote

The long range marksman is NOT that big of a player in the "battlefield" itself, It is merely one man with a bolt action rifle and a spotter to point out things like targets, elevations, windages, etc....What the sniper is, however, is a psychological nightmare for enemy troops, the not knowing how, who, when or where the next bullet will be delivered. If you are interested in learning more, you should read Carlos Hathcock's autobiography. He is, without a doubt the greatest shooter ever.