PDA

View Full Version : Transmisogyny

BellaBellucci
03-04-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.bilerico.com/2009/03/what_transmisogyny_looks_like.php?utm_source=tbpfr ont&utm_medium=bestof&utm_campaign=best_of_box

I don't agree with 100% of it, but here are some notable quotables:

"Male Privilege"

When trans women are told that they need to stop being assertive and strong because it is a sign of male privilege - invariably by "feminists" who, of course, encourage cis women to be assertive and strong - that's transmisogyny.

When trans women are pressured into being silent, rarely offering their opinion, and refusing leadership roles for fear of being seen as male or accused of having male privilege, that's transmisogyny.

When trans women are afraid to analyze or discuss the role of male privilege in their life because of the way accusations of male privilege have been used as weapons to silence, shame, and misgender trans women, that's transmisogyny.

When trans women do analyze and discuss the role of male privilege in their lives and come to different conclusions than the dominant cis feminist perspective and are told it is because they simply don't understand privilege or are ignorant of feminism, that's transmisogyny.
... or, as is the case around here, when men do the same.

Gender Expression

When trans women who present femininely or assert a binary identity are blamed for perpetuating binary gender roles, while it's forgotten that many or even more cis women do the same, that's transmisogyny. (When cis women who present femininely are also blamed for perpetuating binary gender roles, that's femmephobia)

When trans women have every aspect of their presentation examined and labeled either hyperfeminine and therefore fake or not feminine enough and therefore male, while the same traits would be seen as normal in cis women, that's transmisogyny.

When trans women and transfeminine genderqueers are assumed to be conformist, apolitical, and weak while trans men and transmasculine genderqueers are assumed to be radical, with it, and hip, that's transmisogyny (and femmephobia, and subversivism).

... and my personal favorite, one that I'd been discussing since the very first day I got here:

When being sexually available to men and not interested in your own sexual gratification is another way to prove that you are not a fetishistic transvestite or autogynophile, that's transmisogyny.

~BB~

phobun
03-05-2011, 09:40 AM
http://www.bilerico.com/2009/03/what_transmisogyny_looks_like.php?utm_source=tbpfr ont&utm_medium=bestof&utm_campaign=best_of_box

I don't agree with 100% of it, but here are some notable quotables:

Transmisogyny is a stupid, disjointed neologism. Misos (hate) and gyne (woman) are Greek... why add a Latin prefix (trans)?

The author is a bitter dyke. Not a transbitterdyke.

"In our time it is broadly true that political writing is bad writing." -- Orwell

MdR Dave
03-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Transmisogyny is a stupid, disjointed neologism.

You get my vote for "Ms. Misses the Point 2011". And though I wasn't around for it, 2010 as well.

Love you, though.

MdR Dave
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
And yes, I know you're a guy.