PDA

View Full Version : How worried should I be

ed_jaxon
02-25-2011, 09:13 PM
A couple of days ago some crack head douche bag swiped my laptop from my bar. How it happened is inconsequential but needless to say its gone.

Now many of you guys know ol' Ed is not above filming some of his clandestine adventures and some have even seen my work such as "Dick slap dat Hoe" and "Dick slap dat Hoe 2" That's a joke but no of you knuckleheads better ever steal that title cuz its copyrighted.

Seriously though the lap top was password protected but there is personal info on there. How worried should I be that someone could get my password and get my information?

I have had to reinstall operating systems and this seemed easy but is it easier for a dude to do this or crack my pw?

Any input is as always, appreciated.

BellaBellucci
02-25-2011, 09:15 PM
People don't steal laptops for personal info. They steal them for the tech. If they're smart, they'll just format your drive and install a new OS, which of course is presumably also stolen. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about it.

~BB~

ed_jaxon
02-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks Bella.

BellaBellucci
02-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Bella.

Who loves ya baby? ;)

http://www.jollygoodshow.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/kojak.jpg

~BB~

CORVETTEDUDE
02-25-2011, 09:40 PM
If the thief is a "Crack Head", said person didn't steal it for anything but the money they can get for it. It can depend on just how 'in-tact' it remains to a person that gets it for a usage purpose.

ed_jaxon
02-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Here is the deal. It was stolen on a college campus in the campus bar. While there were people who were not regular patrons in the bar that night there were students as well.

Just got to ride this out I guess.

Love the Kojak reference BB

Brittany St Jordan
02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I can take any laptop and boot to a Linux OS and access everything that is on the hard drive without needing a password. If they really want your data they will get it. But you can hope and pray that they simply want the cash for it and not interested in your private stash of cinematography.

If you keep your stuff on an encrypted drive then your chances of them getting to your stuff is greatly reduced. But even with enough time and patience it can be cracked. The important thing is to put up enough safeguards to not be impenetrable but to just piss them off enough to make them not want to waste their time and leave it alone.

CORVETTEDUDE
02-25-2011, 10:01 PM
I can take any laptop and boot to a Linux OS and access everything that is on the hard drive without needing a password. If they really want your data they will get it. But you can hope and pray that they simply want the cash for it and not interested in your private stash of cinematography.

If you keep your stuff on an encrypted drive then your chances of them getting to your stuff is greatly reduced. But even with enough time and patience it can be cracked. The important thing is to put up enough safeguards to not be impenetrable but to just piss them off enough to make them not want to waste their time and leave it alone.

And....there it is!

BellaBellucci
02-25-2011, 10:02 PM
And....there it is!

Yup. It really depends on how 'crack-headed' the person is. :lol:

~BB~

BLKGSXR
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
its ghost B...Pawnshop has it im telling you..that or some kid got a old/new present

ed_jaxon
02-25-2011, 10:45 PM

Thanks Brittany,

Just got to wait. Money starts disappearing and I start showing up on Xtube I got my answer.

And Jix the laptop aint the issue. I got another one coming so...let the pawnshop do their thing, hell I would even buy it back.

kaiser1one
02-25-2011, 11:05 PM
That's why I wanna GPS my shit. I'll track it to the location. That or have the built in camera activate upon startup, that way I can get a feed of who is staring right at it AND it's location.

Willie Escalade
02-26-2011, 12:23 AM
The iPhone has MobileMe; there should be something for laptops as well...

onmyknees
02-26-2011, 12:33 AM
A couple of days ago some crack head douche bag swiped my laptop from my bar. How it happened is inconsequential but needless to say its gone.

Now many of you guys know ol' Ed is not above filming some of his clandestine adventures and some have even seen my work such as "Dick slap dat Hoe" and "Dick slap dat Hoe 2" That's a joke but no of you knuckleheads better ever steal that title cuz its copyrighted.

Seriously though the lap top was password protected but there is personal info on there. How worried should I be that someone could get my password and get my information?

I have had to reinstall operating systems and this seemed easy but is it easier for a dude to do this or crack my pw?

Any input is as always, appreciated.

I'm not a computer geek, but I feel for ya and I'm guessing the dude won't be caught so you can beat his ass....and more importantly get your private shit back. I've thought about that for sometime...it was sort of a struggle on saving those filmed encounters for posterity, or fear someone get's thier hands on them and not have my privacy in mind !! I erred on the side of caution and deleted and destroyed them which sucks, but that's the world we live in. Ed the only place those encounters once filmed and photographed, are in my mind now and they're safe there !! I wish you the best.

Odelay
02-26-2011, 12:35 AM

Just got hard, reading that.

Hey Ed, best of luck. And I have to say, you have a pretty good attitude after having just had your laptop stolen. You haven't even threatened to go back to the coffee shop with a semi-automatic. :Bowdown:

sweetanna
02-26-2011, 01:00 AM

I agree with the above. Expert opinion!

lovesall
02-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Sorry to read what had happened, I also had my laptop swiped two years ago. Was also worried about my personal information. I had asked one of my tech friends and he told me 90% of the time stolen laptops and computers are resold for quick cash. It seems like the information on my laptop was never used and all is well. Hope it turns out the same way for you.

LittleGuy
02-26-2011, 02:14 AM
You're fucked kid

Caff_Racer
02-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Sorry to hear about your lappy, ed!

If it's any consolation, I'll keep my eyes peeled on xhamster for "Dick Slap Dat Hoe" and "Dick Slap Dat Hoe 2" and give them glowing reviews! ;-)

Seriously, though: any personal stuff, you keep it on an encrypted external drive...

fred41
02-26-2011, 03:07 AM
might be worth getting LoJack for the next one.