PDA

View Full Version : RIP Nicholas Courtney

Ecstatic
02-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Nicholas Courtney, the actor, who has died aged 81, was best known to Doctor Who viewers as Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, the longest-serving co-star of the popular science-fiction series, appearing opposite five television Doctors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-Courtney.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/8343786/Nicholas-Courtney.html)

LibertyHarkness
02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
ahhh man he was epic in dr who

Prospero
02-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Like so many - you know the face so well but never the name

CORVETTEDUDE
02-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Bummer.....

BeardedOne
02-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Sad to hear this. I met him at an event in Florida back in the 80s, genuinely nice guy.

rockabilly
02-28-2011, 02:16 AM
I had hoped he would've made a cameo in the new Doctor Who series.

R.I.P

Ecstatic
02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
He was referenced a few times in the new series, but his last on-camera Doctor Who appearance was in The Sarah Jane Adventures (spinoff) episode "Enemy of the Bane" in 2008. In all, he appeared with all seven "classic" or "original series" Doctors save the sixth, first appearing as a different chracter opposite William Hartnell before assuming the Lethbridge-Stewart role opposite Patrick Troughton.

Fourth Doctor Tom Baker visited him in hospital shortly before he died, and wrote of it in his blog: "Nick Courtney died yesterday after a very long and painful battle with cancer. I went to say goodbye to him on Friday at the wonderful hospice near Belsize Park in North London. The lady in charge said he was very stoical. And indeed he was. It was so distressing to see him so weak and yet so strong in resignation. My jokes were received with a generous effort from Nick to smile."

Baker also commented, "Nick's close friends simply adored him. There was a certain innocence in his personality that was utterly endearing ... We shall miss him terribly."

BBaggins06
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Sad news indeed. RIP Nicholas