PDA

View Full Version : OK, Now I Like Freschetta Better

Dino Velvet
01-13-2011, 09:45 AM
I was a real DiGiornio Pizza guy for a long time but recently they've been jipping me on toppings. I got a Pepperoni Rising Crust and there was hardly any Pepperoni on it and what there was was pushed to one side. I had to kick it up with lots of Parmesan Cheese, Red Pepper Flakes, and Garlic Salt. This "no toppings" crap has happened several other times with DiGiornio Frozen Pizzas. I say this with a heavy heart but I will no longer buy DiGiornio Frozen Pizzas and will buy Freschetta instead. Today at Ralph's I bought 2 Freschetta Frozen Pizzas, one Pepperoni and one Supreme. I ate the Pepperoni Pizza for supper tonight. The crust was nice and buttery, the cheese and sauce were tasty and full of flavor, and most importantly, there was a lot of Pepperoni.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MJuexNCzKXE/S_Ragt23zUI/AAAAAAAAFkk/ohZu3qOgdCY/s1600/Freshcetta+Pizza.jpg

south ov da border
01-13-2011, 09:55 AM
That's ok stuff. I miss Ralphs and trader joes. Never really went to Vons or Jons...

Dino Velvet
01-13-2011, 10:04 AM
That's ok stuff. I miss Ralphs and trader joes. Never really went to Vons or Jons...

I love Trader Joe's. Their beer selection is excellent. The store, as a whole, is full of interesting stuff at good prices. The only thing I don't like is that their stores have narrow aisles making it occasionally difficult to navigate my shopping cart.

sunairco
01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Turns out locally that the Publix supermarkets carry their own version that's even better then the nationals based on the 3 that we bought during the hollidays. Their Surpreme and 4 cheeses tasted great and so was the Pepperoni according to my lady that I didn't try. For three bucks less and more flavor and toppings it's a winner. Next time they have these on sale we're stocking up on a couple. Never thought icebox pizzas would rise to this level where you'd rather them then a take away.

Caff_Racer
01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing quite like a home-made pizza: it doesn't take that much time to make, and it's a thousand times tastier than all this prefabricated stuff.

bridgetbbyxo
01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
dino , do you mean DiGiorno's?

i like digiorno's but ill have to try your pizza

Ryz
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Fuck frozen pizza

Richctdude
01-13-2011, 03:03 PM
love the stuff i got a freezer full of them

nonnonnon
01-13-2011, 03:35 PM
you need a girl to cook you some real food :P

YouTube - Pizza Rolls challenge... kinda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC1CUl4XcZc)

dbev
01-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Pizza is made of:

flour,
water,
salt,
olive oil,
yeast (hopefully not brewer's yeast but Sourdough).

Have you read the ingredients of those pizze they sell all over the world like Italian?

Here they are:

Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)
Water,
contains 2% or less of Yeast,
Soy Oil,
Bleached Wheat Flour,
Sugar,
Nonfat Dry Milk,
Salt,
Isolated Oat Product,
Guar Gum,
Wheat Gluten,
Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch, Monocalcium Phosphate)
Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate,
Soy Flour,
Mono and Diglycerides,
L-Cysteine,
Enzymes.

That is not a pizza crust, is plain poison.

CORVETTEDUDE
01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Dino...You're just a Food Slut!!! :dancing::dancing::dancing:

Caff_Racer
01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Pizza is made of:

flour,
water,
salt,
olive oil,
yeast (hopefully not brewer's yeast but Sourdough).

Have you read the ingredients of those pizze they sell all over the world like Italian?

Here they are:

Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)
Water,
contains 2% or less of Yeast,
Soy Oil,
Bleached Wheat Flour,
Sugar,
Nonfat Dry Milk,
Salt,
Isolated Oat Product,
Guar Gum,
Wheat Gluten,
Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch, Monocalcium Phosphate)
Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate,
Soy Flour,
Mono and Diglycerides,
L-Cysteine,
Enzymes.

That is not a pizza crust, is plain poison.

:Bowdown::Bowdown:

And another thing: a pizza crust should be as thin as possible, not these thick wads of crap like you get in many frozen pizzas.

sunairco
01-13-2011, 08:09 PM
I spent nearly 5 years working in the biz, so there's very little that I don't know what goes into a NY style pizza. Suffice to say is that you can't do them at home. Not that you can't, it's just the ingredients to make them aren't sold in grocery stores and the industry has been successful making sure the specialized high protien flour, concentrated, crushed tomatoes, ground tomato product, and whole milk mozzarella are never sold outside of the wholesale institutional food supply service. You'll never see these products retail and never will, at not least in the 35+ years since I was in the biz. Assuming you can get these products in reasonable amounts for home use, your oven wouldn't work. Pizza's need radiant heat. The store bought pizza stone isn't enough. You'd need a 3/4 thick slab stone on your bottom with baking stones on the sides and top to radiate reflected heat like a pizza parlor deck oven to cause even heating and carmalization and quick cooking of the raw sauce. Simple really if you had the right equipment and ingredients, otherwise any home product is going to have to rely on store bought bread flours, part skim cheeses,and unsuitable tomato products that combine to make a poor facimile.

B4 you condemn the ingredients in a frozen pizza, you have to understand that freezing food presents many challenges such as degredation of vegetables,dessication, and ice build up no matter how well you flash freeze it. Furthermore, to have a shelf stable pie that can suffer periods of defrost from handling,transport, and customer handling, other techniques invlolving engineered starches and anti-freeze products need to be introduced to keep the ingredients from falling off and stay in one piece and the sauce from seperating. Furthermore you have the crust that has to be specially engineered/sealed to prevent fluid absorbtion and crisp with a free flow of heat such as a preforated pan or screen and in the case of self rising, an non-yeast or engineered yeast complex alternative. Shelf stable food is a chemical engineering marvel of the late 20th century/21rst century that's already capable of delivering QSR quality food from a freezer. You probably can't replicate a NY or Chicago style deck oven pizza, but you sure can replicate a chain style, tractor oven style pizza that most people nowdays associate with good pizza. Aside from the NE area, the average American would consider the soft and chewy Pizza Hut, Poppa Johns, and Domino's the definitive pizza nowadays over the real deal and would absolutely reject a true, wood fired Pizza Margherita that's done with no sauce and just sliced san marzano tomatoes, basil leaves, lump, water mozzarella seared in a 1200 degree mud/stone oven as done in Italy.

The Pizza is the perception of the masses now that don't know any better

Dino Velvet
01-14-2011, 01:18 AM
Dino...You're just a Food Slut!!! :dancing::dancing::dancing:

If you saw me in real life you'd agree I look like a guy that loves to eat.

PomonaCA
01-14-2011, 07:00 AM
I haven't been to Ralphs in years because I try not to buy union. I haven't seen the Freshetta brand at my Super Walmart but to be honest I don't really look for those fancy frozen pizzas. I'm one cheap bastard so I like Tony's and those other $1.38 frozen pizzas. I don't know why but it seems like a contradiction to me..... frozen and fancy? I'll just settle for some cheap thrills.

Dino Velvet
01-14-2011, 07:58 AM
I haven't been to Ralphs in years because I try not to buy union. I haven't seen the Freshetta brand at my Super Walmart but to be honest I don't really look for those fancy frozen pizzas. I'm one cheap bastard so I like Tony's and those other $1.38 frozen pizzas. I don't know why but it seems like a contradiction to me..... frozen and fancy? I'll just settle for some cheap thrills.

The Freschetta was only $4.99. A few bucks more but it was delicious.

PomonaCA
01-14-2011, 08:21 AM
The Freschetta was only $4.99. A few bucks more but it was delicious.

I'm the tjinla of frozen foods. I go for the quick and easy, consequences are of small concern. I can get 3 of the Tony's for less than the price of 1 Freschetta.

Dino Velvet
01-14-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm the tjinla of frozen foods. I go for the quick and easy, consequences are of small concern. I can get 3 of the Tony's for less than the price of 1 Freschetta.

When I go real cheap, I get the Stouffer's French Bread Pizza. Those are good too.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_W-pG7tUmJk0/TKWfhvNP8MI/AAAAAAAAC6A/-G-VZdoOqg0/s1600/stouffers_french_bread_pizza_01.jpg

hard4janira
01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
I spent nearly 5 years working in the biz, so there's very little that I don't know what goes into a NY style pizza. Suffice to say is that you can't do them at home. Not that you can't, it's just the ingredients to make them aren't sold in grocery stores and the industry has been successful making sure the specialized high protien flour, concentrated, crushed tomatoes, ground tomato product, and whole milk mozzarella are never sold outside of the wholesale institutional food supply service. You'll never see these products retail and never will, at not least in the 35+ years since I was in the biz. Assuming you can get these products in reasonable amounts for home use, your oven wouldn't work. Pizza's need radiant heat. The store bought pizza stone isn't enough. You'd need a 3/4 thick slab stone on your bottom with baking stones on the sides and top to radiate reflected heat like a pizza parlor deck oven to cause even heating and carmalization and quick cooking of the raw sauce. Simple really if you had the right equipment and ingredients, otherwise any home product is going to have to rely on store bought bread flours, part skim cheeses,and unsuitable tomato products that combine to make a poor facimile.

B4 you condemn the ingredients in a frozen pizza, you have to understand that freezing food presents many challenges such as degredation of vegetables,dessication, and ice build up no matter how well you flash freeze it. Furthermore, to have a shelf stable pie that can suffer periods of defrost from handling,transport, and customer handling, other techniques invlolving engineered starches and anti-freeze products need to be introduced to keep the ingredients from falling off and stay in one piece and the sauce from seperating. Furthermore you have the crust that has to be specially engineered/sealed to prevent fluid absorbtion and crisp with a free flow of heat such as a preforated pan or screen and in the case of self rising, an non-yeast or engineered yeast complex alternative. Shelf stable food is a chemical engineering marvel of the late 20th century/21rst century that's already capable of delivering QSR quality food from a freezer. You probably can't replicate a NY or Chicago style deck oven pizza, but you sure can replicate a chain style, tractor oven style pizza that most people nowdays associate with good pizza. Aside from the NE area, the average American would consider the soft and chewy Pizza Hut, Poppa Johns, and Domino's the definitive pizza nowadays over the real deal and would absolutely reject a true, wood fired Pizza Margherita that's done with no sauce and just sliced san marzano tomatoes, basil leaves, lump, water mozzarella seared in a 1200 degree mud/stone oven as done in Italy.

The Pizza is the perception of the masses now that don't know any better

This was excellent. Thank you.

PomonaCA
01-14-2011, 08:38 AM
When I go real cheap, I get the Stouffer's French Bread Pizza. Those are good too.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_W-pG7tUmJk0/TKWfhvNP8MI/AAAAAAAAC6A/-G-VZdoOqg0/s1600/stouffers_french_bread_pizza_01.jpg

You should try the English Muffin pizza with Hunt's Pizza sauce if you like that.

Caff_Racer
01-14-2011, 10:32 AM

LOL at the "Made with real cheese" mention on the packaging! Mean to say that there's such a thing as "false" cheese? :hide-1: (I wouldn't know, I tend to avoid eating fast/junk food ;-) )

bridgetbbyxo
01-14-2011, 04:29 PM
hmmmm

Dino Velvet
01-15-2011, 12:34 AM
hmmmm

Somebody got Rick-Rolled by a frozen pizza.