PDA

View Full Version : A question for our Canadian forum members

Caff_Racer
12-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Can any of the Canadians on here give me info about living in Canada? The fact is that some time next year I might be looking at spending a few months experiencing life in foreign parts outside Europe, and I quite fancy the idea of going across to Canada (with a preference for Quebec: normal, I'm French!). So any information, tips and advice are welcome! :cheers:

brualex336
12-17-2010, 05:14 AM
tips on what?

Ryz
12-17-2010, 05:33 AM
It's much cheaper to live in Montreal than it is to live in Toronto

audifan
12-17-2010, 09:14 AM
It's much cheaper to live in Montreal than it is to live in Toronto

From what little I remember, Montreal and Toronto are both nice in summer, effing cold in winter though. Both are "target-rich environments".

Vancouver's my favourite Canadian city.

Hope others can give you more info.

Caff_Racer
12-17-2010, 11:03 AM
tips on what?

Well on what life is like out there, e.g. is life expensive, is it easy for a foreigner to rent an apartment, that sort of thing. Also stuff on the cultural scene, social aspects, etc. As I said in my original post, any bit of useful information is welcome. :cheers:

From what little I remember, Montreal and Toronto are both nice in summer, effing cold in winter though. Both are "target-rich environments".

Vancouver's my favourite Canadian city.

Hope others can give you more info.

I'll probably pass off for an ignorant lout (nothing new there, then), but what on earth is a "target-rich environment"? :confused:

lisaparadise
12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Canada is without a doubt the greatest country in the world.montreal is by far the most beautifull city with the most beautifull tgirls anywhere.

bassman2546
12-17-2010, 03:26 PM
It depends on what you are looking for. If you hate your winters full of snow, then Vancouver offers the best chances at minimal snow and is beautiful in the summer. The golden horseshoe area (Toronto and around the bay) offer a great deal to do and Toronto, has been coined by many as one of the best cities in the world. There is also a Tgirl scene to keep you busy. But in the winters, you do get a lot of snow, not like the northern U.S. states but still snow. I can't speak for Montreal, but have been told it's beautiful. If you want to meet some of the nicest and most helpful people in the world, visit anywhere in the maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI, New Brunswick). And the area is beautiful in the summer. If you like golf, PEI is an island full of some of the greatest golf courses in Canada. Saskatchewan and Manitoba? Nice to cruise through because it's so flat and boring, but I'd keep cruising through on my way too...lovely Alberta, where you can see the world famous Calgary Stampede in the summer (if you're into that sort of thing) and face some of the weirdest weather conditions you can imagine. Frigid cold one day to snow skiing in bathing suits the next. Well, maybe not that extreme but you get the picture.

Have fun wherever you choose to go!

Caff_Racer
12-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that, bassman2546! I had to look up what PEI was, but if it's full of golfers, I doubt that I'll go there (my definition of golf is "the best way to spoil a walk in the countryside" :mrgreen:)! I also had to Google the Calgary Stampede: I thought that rodeos only happened in Texas? :confused::oops:

I don't mind snowy winters (as long as the roads are open to traffic) although riding a bike in those temperatures must be interesting!

It looks that if I do go across, I might gradually travel across the country, stopping off for a while in the nice bits, instead of staying put in one region: there seems to be so much to see/experience and such a lot of distance to cover!

audifan
12-17-2010, 04:37 PM
... what on earth is a "target-rich environment"? :confused:

Just my lame humour. It's on "Urban Dictionary" if you care.

Lisa put it better when she described Montreal. :):Bowdown::Bowdown::Bowdown:

Ryz
12-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Canada is without a doubt the greatest country in the world.montreal is by far the most beautifull city with the most beautifull tgirls anywhere.

The thing about people in Montreal though is that they're only nice to the people who are from there.

Caff_Racer
12-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Just my lame humour. It's on "Urban Dictionary" if you care.

Lisa put it better when she described Montreal. :):Bowdown::Bowdown::Bowdown:

Just looked it up on Urban Dictionary: I take it you're referring to meaning Nş 2 :geek: Interesting, very interesting! :)

brualex336
12-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Nice hyperbole. I've lived in Canada my whole live. It's fine, but not as great as Lisa would suggest. You on Harpers payroll? :whistle:

audifan
12-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Just looked it up on Urban Dictionary: I take it you're referring to meaning Nş 2 :geek: Interesting, very interesting! :)

Well it could be the first definition, until they ruined it by talking about helicopters & stuff...

But yes, I meant the 2nd definition :)

bassman2546
12-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Nice hyperbole. I've lived in Canada my whole live. It's fine, but not as great as Lisa would suggest. You on Harpers payroll? :whistle:

It's what you make of it. I'm sure any country can be the greatest to live in if you live from the positives and not die by the negatives. Governments are governments. They will never change. We will always bitch about them no matter who is elected. Only when we reflect back and compare them to more recent ones can we actually fairly assess their performance. That is why I don't get caught up in the political bullshit, whether it be federal or provincial. I do my thing and enjoy life day in and day out and am thankful I'm where I am, not where others are.

bassman2546
12-17-2010, 10:50 PM

The thing about people in Montreal though is that their only nice to the people who are from there.

I can agree with that statement from my own experience.

lisaparadise
12-17-2010, 11:11 PM
nice hyperbole. I've lived in canada my whole live. It's fine, but not as great as lisa would suggest. You on harpers payroll? :whistle:lol where do you live? Toronto lol

lisaparadise
12-17-2010, 11:13 PM
It's what you make of it. I'm sure any country can be the greatest to live in if you live from the positives and not die by the negatives. Governments are governments. They will never change. We will always bitch about them no matter who is elected. Only when we reflect back and compare them to more recent ones can we actually fairly assess their performance. That is why I don't get caught up in the political bullshit, whether it be federal or provincial. I do my thing and enjoy life day in and day out and am thankful I'm where I am, not where others are.he must be one of those pinkos grapes was bitchin about lol fuckn idiots

SXFX
12-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Quebec is very nice. Particularity Montreal. Good food, good people and beautiful city.
Not as big as many other cities but it's big enough.

tambor
12-17-2010, 11:59 PM
The thing about people in Montreal though is that they're only nice to the people who are from there.

Not true at all, I spent a week there in the Fall and Honestly I did not meet a single person that was rude to me.

Montreal is a wonderful City.

Ryz
12-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Not true at all, I spent a week there in the Fall and Honestly I did not meet a single person that was rude to me.

Montreal is a wonderful City.

Try living there buddy. Especially if you don't speak French and you're non white

SXFX
12-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Oh and there are more girls than guys in Montreal. If you can't get laid in Montreal you just can't' get laid anywhere!

audifan
12-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Try living there buddy. Especially if you don't speak French and you're non white

The OP is white, and French.

Caff_Racer
12-18-2010, 01:00 AM
The OP is white, and French.

a.k.a. Cheese-eating surrender monkey! :mrgreen:

asianphoenixx
12-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Can any of the Canadians on here give me info about living in Canada? The fact is that some time next year I might be looking at spending a few months experiencing life in foreign parts outside Europe, and I quite fancy the idea of going across to Canada (with a preference for Quebec: normal, I'm French!). So any information, tips and advice are welcome! :cheers:

I wanted to say thank you to Canada, and showed my gratitude, so I traveled throughout the country when I got my Canadian passport 2 years ago

It's so beautiful and natural in Summer.
It's so big and....empty (most probably because of the harsh climate)

I went to table mountain in Newfoundland, seeing a miraculous mountain surrounded by semi-artic tundra and brown algae, and oh..I saw so many moose at the time (it's their breeding season).

It's the kind of view you will never forget, even for an avid traveler like myself.

The only problem is really the winter. It's too cold, I mean it's freezing cold almost all over the place, except part of British Columbia (that's why Vancouver becomes my favorite city in Canada)

I'm in Zurich now, and it's just minus 2 degree Celsius (or around 29 degree Fahrenheit), and everybody is complaining, but me.

So my advice to you, visit the country from end of may to beginning of November and i'm pretty sure you will have a great time.

Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec are the places to go if you want to feel that you are really in Canada. Toronto is pretty much like other big US cities.

Halifax if you like a small size city, surrounded by natural beauty (Cabot trail in Cape Breton island is just few hours away).

Labrador and Newfoundland are the choice only if you are the outdoor and rugged type, and love nature. And for the girls, these are two great places to choose and pick up hunky, rugged handsome Caucasian men for fun. Oh boy...i remember my hot time there LOL:fuckin:

Btw, if you are from the states, I've seen a lot of US cities too....and oh...you guys have great places too. And the climate...mon dieu...it's much better than in Canada. I definitely can't complain living in Florida or west coast in winter for sure LOL.

Good luck!

Caff_Racer
12-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for that information, asianphoenixx! And stay warm in Zürich!

uchetal
12-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Lisa Paradise is a Canadian National Treasure!

tao1kiku
12-18-2010, 11:11 PM
The East coast of Canada has some of the most friendly and wonderful people. Lots of scenery and just good ol down home fun. Quebec (Montreal and Quebec City) have alot of history, awesome food and a very european atmosphere. Don't forget to try poutine and real Montrreal Smoked Meat in a little deli place! Toronto seems to be the place where people from all cultures come to live. So many restuarants, bars and places to go, but it can be difficult to meet people. At the same time, 6th largest city in North America, and you can walk down 90% of the streets at 3 am and be safe. The mid west of Manitoba, apparently Winnipeg has a growing arts and culture scene, but it can be a bit grotty (and I was born there). Sask, Alta, salt of the earth people, think of the american mid west. Be honest, be upfront, no bull and you'll get along fine. BC is a very liberal kinda place, incredible scenery. Unfortunately Vancouver is experiencing some violence problems right now. So just keep your eyes open and you'll be fine.

We're a self effacing and very tolerant society. Come, learn about our people and culture and all the cool things we have to offer. Don't judge, just learn and understand.

Caff_Racer
12-19-2010, 02:21 AM
The East coast of Canada has some of the most friendly and wonderful people. Lots of scenery and just good ol down home fun. Quebec (Montreal and Quebec City) have alot of history, awesome food and a very european atmosphere. Don't forget to try poutine and real Montrreal Smoked Meat in a little deli place!

I already know poutine: on the Isle of Man it's called chips cheese and gravy, and during TT fortnight it's cheap comfort/survival/anti-hangover food for many race fans!

Caff_Racer
12-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Oh and there are more girls than guys in Montreal. If you can't get laid in Montreal you just can't' get laid anywhere!

Trust me: I'd be incapable of getting laid anywhere, let alone in Montreal: I'm too damn ugly! :lol::lol:

Northof60
12-19-2010, 10:49 AM

Complete bullshit. I was transfered there for 5 years, never knew a word of french and never had a problem with people not being nice.

lisaparadise
12-19-2010, 02:55 PM
complete bullshit. I was transfered there for 5 years, never knew a word of french and never had a problem with people not being nice.anybody who travells to other countries on a regular bacis knows canadians are respected and loved more then any other country period.we are the kindest most loving tollerent down to earth people you ll ever meet.

onmyknees
12-19-2010, 03:56 PM
anybody who travells to other countries on a regular bacis knows canadians are respected and loved more then any other country period.we are the kindest most loving tollerent down to earth people you ll ever meet.

Lisa...the dude's got a point. Been to the English speaking Provinces hundreds of times . Still have lots of friends there and do lots of bizz there( Brantford is my next destination ! LOL) I agree they are some of the best people I've ever met, and man can they drink ! Went to a big bike rally last year at Thunder Bay and had a blast.

But let's face it....Quebec is not nearly as kind to Yanks. In fact I don't go there anymore cause I don't speak French, and they won't speak English even they all know it. In fact, most folks from Ontario I know hate 'em too. The only Quebecians I like are those super hot strippers in those tiny little snow covered towns. Man they got some hot women. They like me, but then again I'm paying them......eh !! LMAO

bassman2546
12-19-2010, 05:37 PM
he must be one of those pinkos grapes was bitchin about lol fuckn idiots

Is this directed at me?

Caff_Racer
12-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Went to a big bike rally last year at Thunder Bay and had a blast.

By the way, what is the motorcycling scene like in Canada? Is it mainly all Harley Davidsons or are there also other tastes catered for? I'm mainly into the Fifties/Sixties Brit bike scene, particularly the Ton-Up / Café Racer scene (hence the screen name).

onmyknees
12-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Ahhh Yes. The Brit Bikes. Had several Nortons back when Harley's were built by AMF. Have a buddy that collects older Triumphs has over 20. They were quite the ride back in the day.

Since I normally hang with that crowd, I suppose my view might be jaded, but most of the bikes I see in the Great White North are V Twins. I will say that driving thru BC on the way to Alaska it was about 50-50 between BMW's and Harley Dressers.

Caff_Racer
12-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Blimey, I'd stick out like a sore thumb then, tear-arsing about the place on a Triton or a Norvin ! :lol: :mrgreen:

lisaparadise
12-20-2010, 03:54 AM
is this directed at me?lol no what r ya new?

bassman2546
12-20-2010, 04:59 PM
lol no what r ya new?

Uh no. :confused: