PDA

View Full Version : at what point are you too old to be "fill in the blank"

toopretty
12-15-2010, 02:56 AM
bare with me this is long
A couple pieces of pop culture news in the last couple days got me thinking. The two things are a picture of Chelsea handler laying in bed with 50 cent and leaked sex pics of some guy from the band "taking back sunday" on the the dirty. I have a theory and goes back a few months...I was dating a girl for few weeks and one day we were driving in my car and she was picking songs (i had a burnt mp3 cd in with like 200 songs on it) and lil wayne song came on and these words come out of her mouth "on my god i fucking love lil wayne hes so hot!" That was the beginning of the end for me. I stop calling her because i couldnt take her serious any more. A grown, almost 30 year old woman, "fucking loves lil wayne" huh???? thats a problem to me. If a 17 year old girl said it then it would be ok. So back to 50 cent and the taking back sunday guy. One is like 35 and still dresses like a gangsta and the other is just as old and still acts and looks like a emo high school kid.
so here is my question, at what point is it too old to be like that? (my personal opinion is that if you are take on the "look" of the bands you listen to after the age of 21 or 22 then you are pathetic.
and also, for the ladies, when is it too old to still like those kind of guys? ( i have to say the same age 21 or 22) any grown woman looking for a "gansta" is lame to me

Miss Fagina
12-15-2010, 03:23 AM
Age doesn't matter, looks do... Pathetic is someone trying to look an age they're not and failing to pull it off. Gangsta's, and liking them, is ridiculous regardless of age.

toopretty
12-15-2010, 06:12 PM
i see what your saying. But NO GROWN MAN should ever be caught in ANYTHING teenagers wear or listen to ANYTHING teenagers listen to or do ANYTHING teenagers do

Caff_Racer
12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm 48 hours away from hitting the big four-oh, and I still mainly wear what I've always worn since my teenage years: jeans, t-shirts and work boots/Vans. Perhaps at my age I should wear a suit, but I have little use for one: in my line of business I don't meet my clients face-to-face and I only rarely find myself in the kind of social environment that warrants wearing one. And as my only means of transport is a motorbike, I feel naked wearing anything other than jeans when riding (apart from proper motorcycling clobber, I mean).

The only thing I no longer wear is the leather jeans/cowboy boots combination that I affected in my early twenties as I am no longer the slim, wiry bloke I was back then :cry::cry

CORVETTEDUDE
12-15-2010, 06:38 PM
i see what your saying. But NO GROWN MAN should ever be caught in ANYTHING teenagers wear or listen to ANYTHING teenagers listen to or do ANYTHING teenagers do

Fuck you!!! Teenagers have decided to wear, do and listen to what I have all my life. I'm not stoppin'! :fu: They're just now catchin' on. They've thought of nothing new. They have technical assets we didn't have 30-40 years ago, a pension for not completely putting their clothes on, and fuckin' up good music but...They Ain't NEW!!!

Goldenguinea
12-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Even tho he has made millions of dollars from it I find it kinda sad seeing Tony Hawk on a skateboard in his 40s

audifan
12-15-2010, 07:00 PM
...so here is my question, at what point is it too old to be like that? (my personal opinion is that if you are take on the "look" of the bands you listen to after the age of 21 or 22 then you are pathetic.
e

I'd say younger for guys. By their late teens they should have figured out it's just lame to copy some silly band's look, just as most other teen male behaviour is lame and something you try to grow out of asap. Once you realise it doesn't impress any sane female above the age of consent, such teen behaviour loses all appeal.

Show business is different. I think 50cent or whoever are stuck in a niche/genre for their public appearances and probably just trying to peddle whatever line of "designer wear" their agent has signed them up to advertise. And some people in show biz may be just trying to look younger to extend their careers. Since it's their living I can't really blame them for that, even if I think they look silly.

bte
12-15-2010, 07:06 PM
bare with me this is long
A couple pieces of pop culture news in the last couple days got me thinking. The two things are a picture of Chelsea handler laying in bed with 50 cent and leaked sex pics of some guy from the band "taking back sunday" on the the dirty. I have a theory and goes back a few months...I was dating a girl for few weeks and one day we were driving in my car and she was picking songs (i had a burnt mp3 cd in with like 200 songs on it) and lil wayne song came on and these words come out of her mouth "on my god i fucking love lil wayne hes so hot!" That was the beginning of the end for me. I stop calling her because i couldnt take her serious any more. A grown, almost 30 year old woman, "fucking loves lil wayne" huh???? thats a problem to me. If a 17 year old girl said it then it would be ok. So back to 50 cent and the taking back sunday guy. One is like 35 and still dresses like a gangsta and the other is just as old and still acts and looks like a emo high school kid.
so here is my question, at what point is it too old to be like that? (my personal opinion is that if you are take on the "look" of the bands you listen to after the age of 21 or 22 then you are pathetic.
and also, for the ladies, when is it too old to still like those kind of guys? ( i have to say the same age 21 or 22) any grown woman looking for a "gansta" is lame to me

Its just music dude. Women in their 60s and 70s swoon over Wayne Newton, are they too old to be in "love" with Wayne Newton. Also 50 cent and the guy from Taking Back Sunday dress that way to cater to their crowd. Its like people that play black metal music. Yeah you are 45 years old and still wearing black and corpse paint, but you do it because it matches the music you are playing.

Caff_Racer
12-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Even tho he has made millions of dollars from it I find it kinda sad seeing Tony Hawk on a skateboard in his 40s

Personally I don't see anything wrong with that; I have a friend who used to compete in skateboarding competitions throughout Europe who still skateboards, and he's now in his forties as well. It's a bit like saying that it's sad to still see Motörhead doing gigs just because Lemmy is in his sixties.

bte
12-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Its his career. Its not like he is doing it recreational. He made his money by riding a skateboard.

audifan
12-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Personally I don't see anything wrong with that; I have a friend who used to compete in skateboarding competitions throughout Europe who still skateboards, and he's now in his forties as well. It's a bit like saying that it's sad to still see Motörhead doing gigs just because Lemmy is in his sixties.

That Kronenbourg commercial with Ace of Spades kicks ass!

Caff_Racer
12-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I know, I've downloaded the song and use it as my ringtone. Sad, eh? :oops::lol:

audifan
12-15-2010, 07:43 PM
I know, I've downloaded the song and use it as my ringtone. Sad, eh? :oops::lol:

Not really, I've got AC/DC's Shoot to Thrill.

Now what was it I rashly said about immature behaviour not impressing any female over the age of consent?

toopretty
12-16-2010, 07:39 AM

I would say its ok to skate board but not ok to still dress like ryan sheckler

toopretty
12-16-2010, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=bte;845232]Its just music dude. Women in their 60s and 70s swoon over Wayne Newton, are they too old to be in "love" with Wayne Newton. Also 50 cent and the guy from Taking Back Sunday dress that way to cater to their crowd. Its like people that play black metal music. Yeah you are 45 years old and still wearing black and corpse paint, but you do it because it matches the music you are playing.[/QUOTE

it doesnt change the fact that it is lame. look at some one like dr dre....he is one of the inventors of the "hood" look and act and he is done with it because he knows he is too old it.

this is how a grown man dresses

toopretty
12-16-2010, 07:51 AM
this isnt!

amberskyi
12-16-2010, 07:59 AM
you know what i agree with you.its entirely possible to be true to who you are but also dress with some maturity.in highschool i wore fishnets with a freaking ton of black eyeliner,over sized hoodies and with spikes everywhere.but i learned that if i wanted to be taken seriously as an adult i have to change the way i present myself.im still me however.i still dress mostly in black and i still have a few tasteful piercings.
its so not attractive to see a guy in his 30's with his pants down his ass and a tshirt 3 sizes to big for him.

GrimFusion
12-16-2010, 08:05 AM
you know what i agree with you.its entirely possible to be true to who you are but also dress with some maturity.in highschool i wore fishnets with a freaking ton of black eyeliner,over sized hoodies and with spikes everywhere.but i learned that if i wanted to be taken seriously as an adult i have to change the way i present myself.im still me however.i still dress mostly in black and i still have a few tasteful piercings.
its so not attractive to see a guy in his 30's with his pants down his ass and a tshirt 3 sizes to big for him.

Wow, that was a really intelligent reply.
Kudos and ditto.

Ryz
12-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I dress like a white guy

GrimFusion
12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
I think it's a maturity and motivation issue.
Motivation in the regard that a lot of my buds have the credentials to get better jobs, but own a wardrobe that could scare children. Some of them think that a strong sense of "individuality" (lol) is more important than a paycheck. Some of them really don't give much of a shit about getting a job, let alone a better one.
Maturity plays in, but in a much lesser extent. The only other time I get uppity is when people flat out refuse to act their age. The worst is when a mother or father don't mature after having a child. Parties every weekend, hard drug use, babysitters and family members around all the time because mommy and daddy wanna go party. It's pathetic. Regarding the last paragraph, maturity has a lot to do with retiring your old high-school style and moving into something a little more real world friendly because what is maturity if not getting used to the real world?

audifan
12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Wow, that was a really intelligent reply.
Kudos and ditto.

+1:Bowdown::Bowdown::Bowdown:

Nivek
12-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I understand the whole thing you're saying, I'm with u on that, I'm in shock when I see ppl my age shopping at hot topic n shit, I think if you're questioning yourself on why nobody your age, friends/fam/co-workers are remotely dressing the same way... Yes you may be in fact too old to wear or listen to what you do. On the other hand, fuck it ppl are gonna do what they like regardless. I'm a tshirt jeans n sneakers/boots guy myself. I clean up nicely in a suit btw.

toopretty
12-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I understand the whole thing you're saying, I'm with u on that, I'm in shock when I see ppl my age shopping at hot topic n shit, I think if you're questioning yourself on why nobody your age, friends/fam/co-workers are remotely dressing the same way... Yes you may be in fact too old to wear or listen to what you do. On the other hand, fuck it ppl are gonna do what they like regardless. I'm a tshirt jeans n sneakers/boots guy myself. I clean up nicely in a suit btw.

yeh there is nothing wrong with tshirt, jeans, and sneakers but it just depends on the actually tshirt jeans and sneakers that you wear.

nonnonnon
12-18-2010, 09:02 AM
how old is too old to be at the club?

audifan
12-18-2010, 09:24 AM

Ugh! And so elegantly dressed as well...

hippifried
12-18-2010, 12:07 PM
So now there's an age dependent dress code? This whole designer fad thing cracks me up. They're always a few years behind the curve & selling their junk to those that missed it the first time. But it seems to me that a "grown man" should be able to wear whatever he damn well pleases, without worrying about a bunch of self-righteous purity crap from the wannabes of the fashion cop squad. Everybody gets older, & the alternative sucks.

There's no age limit on playing grabass.

I dress like a white guy
& that would be...???
Oh! You mean like Urkel?