PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Jimi Hendrix!

bat1
11-27-2010, 07:34 PM
would make him 67 today

Still my #1 guitar god!:Bowdown:

Nikka
11-27-2010, 07:38 PM
he was a genius

bte
11-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Hendrix is the best guitar player in the world. He influenced a lot of people who play music now. Kind of sucks that he died, because it would have been interesting to see what kind of music he would make.

Coroner
11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Probably the most unique guitar player ever because he was shredding in the right time. He was the prototype of a rock guitar player. Some people say he influenced Miles Davis who recorded Bitches Brew after discovering the madness of Jimi Hendrix.

J_178169
11-27-2010, 09:54 PM
This Hendrix Box Set is amazing...The instrumental Bold As Love on disc two blows my mind every time i hear it. Happy Birthday Jimi!

traLika
11-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Hendrix was awesome. I'd say he was the most influential electric lead guitar player of all. Clapton was the first to crank the amp right up with the Bluesbreakers but Hendrix truly soared and opened the door for a lot of players.

The most unique guitar player award could probably go to Allan Holdsworth, Derek Bailey, Fred Frith or Hans Reichel, although their stuff isn't exactly middle of the road... lol (But I love it!)

As for being the best player - I don't think there is one. There are so many guys who were/are fantastic at doing their own different thing that they can't really be compared. It's a bit like saying which composer's the best - Bach, Beethoven or Stravinsky? All geniuses, and each in different ways...

Coroner
11-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Allan Holdsworth is far ahead Jimi (and not only him) but there was no other Jimi during him time. Derek Bailey was amazing. Too bad he passed away recently and got almost no recognition for the kind of avantgarde music he was playing. If you like Derek Bailey, youŽd love Sonny Sharrock, too. Fred Frith, however, is not my cup of tea.

Helvis2012
11-28-2010, 03:59 AM
The master.

traLika
11-28-2010, 10:10 AM
If you like Derek Bailey, youŽd love Sonny Sharrock, too. Fred Frith, however, is not my cup of tea.

Yeah, I like Sharrock too, although I find his stuff can be a bit hit and miss…

My personal electric guitar faves are the fusion guys: Holdsworth, Krantz, McLaughlin, Frisell, Metheny, Morse, Henderson, Di Meola, Zappa, Rustici and Carlton. I like Gilmour too. I see where Clapton fits in the scheme of lead guitar evolution but I never could get excited about his playing. But there’s definitely something special about Hendrix...

scubaman
11-28-2010, 06:53 PM
YouTube - Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsys)(Best Audio,Live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEpHaa459Hw)

bat1
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
YouTube - Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsys)(Best Audio,Live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEpHaa459Hw)

that is the best guitar solo ever! in history of rock