PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles watch your ass!

bat1
11-15-2010, 07:07 AM
So many people dying on bikes these days if you ride one or be on one
Watch your ass!! so many nuts on the road

Five people died when a car ploughed into a group of motorcyclists on a desert highway in California.
Seven motorcycles were caught in the collision on two-lane Route 98 near Ocotillo, a few miles north of the Mexico border and 80 miles north of San Diego.
The crash happened when a car trying to pass the group of motorcycles caused another car to lose control.

Two men and two women motorcyclists died at the scene before paramedics arrived, Imperial County Fire Department Capt. Peter Stanton told The Associated Press. One passenger from a car was also killed.
Stanton said the crash occurred shortly before 1 p.m. yesterday as an eastbound car went into the oncoming lane to pass about a dozen motorcycles, some of them carrying two people. That manoeuvre forced a westbound sedan to swerve on to the sandy shoulder to avoid a head-on collision.
He said at that point the westbound car veered back across the road and into the cyclists.
'He lost control and then his vehicle just drove into the group of motorcycles,' Stanton said.
The eastbound car making the pass that triggered the accident did not stop and authorities were seeking it, Stanton said.
'They're looking for that car and the driver,' he said. 'He didn't stop, he kept going, he fled the scene.'
Five people from motorcycles and one from a car were injured, Stanton said. Several motorcycles toward the back of the pack were able to avoid the accident.
Two helicopters landed on the highway to airlift two male patients to San Diego-area hospitals, and four ambulances took patients to local hospitals in Brawley and El Centro, authorities said.
The identities of the dead and injured were not released.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1329607/Horror-Route-98-Five-people-died-car-ploughs-group-motorcyclists.html#ixzz15KBOW2IQ

hippifried
11-15-2010, 07:23 AM
So other than that, it's nice weather to ride.

Jericho
11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Nothing new, is it.
They don't call 'em donorcycles for nothing! :shrug:

Caff_Racer
11-15-2010, 11:05 AM
RIP to the five motorcyclists... :sad:

Jericho, as a motorcyclist, I find your remark to be slightly "off"; perhaps I'm reading things between the lines that aren't there (many moons ago I got knocked off my bike by a tosspot who didn't even bother to stop, luckily I was just a bit shaken), but it's almost as if you're saying "serve 'em right".

As an aside, I find it impossible to understand the rather cavalier attitude to motorcycle safety in the U.S. Why isn't the wearing of protective clothing (particularly a proper crash helmet) obligatory throughout the U.S.? And don't come bleating to me with the "It's democracy, giving the people the choice to wear a helmet or not" bullshit. In almost 20 years of motorcycling I've had a few offs and on more than one occasion, if it hadn't been for my crash hat, and decent protective clothing, I might not be here today. So all of you who have friends or family members who ride bikes, get them to wear proper protective gear: it's not "taking away people's right to choose", it's just common sense.

Jericho
11-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Jericho, as a motorcyclist, I find your remark to be slightly "off"; perhaps I'm reading things between the lines that aren't there (many moons ago I got knocked off my bike by a tosspot who didn't even bother to stop, luckily I was just a bit shaken), but it's almost as if you're saying "serve 'em right".

Yes, you are reading things between the lines that aren't there.
I'm not saying "Serves 'em right".
(Not even my jaded outlook is that calloused!)

What i am saying is, it's nothing new. In a collision, bikers are always going to come off second (as you know).

Caff_Racer
11-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Fair enough; I can put my high horse back in its stable, then! ;-) :cheers:

Jericho
11-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Fair enough; I can put my high horse back in its stable, then! ;-) :cheers:

1HP, not your normal conveyance! :whistle:

BeardedOne
11-15-2010, 11:51 PM
I'll speak to Jericho's sincerity here. He means no disrespect, but recognizes that a bike vs. cage is usually a losing fight. Sad that it is, bikes don't fare well in most motor vehicle accidents. :(

I've long had the desire for nice ride, but due to balance issues (I'm lucky that I can stand upright) I've had to forego the usual motorcycle high. I have dreams of a 1200 Police Special with sidecar or a Servicar (Though even the latter has issues with high-speed balance), but that's for another time.

One of our local heroes, Pat Croce, wasn't even saddled when his foot was severed in a bike accident, so you never know when the reaper will call.

Caff_Racer
11-16-2010, 12:33 AM
I've been in a bike/car collision (and I'm man enough to hold up my hand and acknowledge that it was my fault), and the car was a write-off, but the bike wasn't - and I only suffered a broken toe! I'm fortunate in that I'm not much of a "crasher", although I've had a fair few close calls and near-misses...

And now, with my 40th birthday just a month away, I'm seriously thinking of going racing...

lisaparadise
11-16-2010, 12:43 AM
ive owed a bike for years theres nothin better in life then ridin down the country roads YouTube - Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8&feature=related)

traLika
11-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Lis, why have you got a girl's head stuck to the back of your bike? :whoa

lisaparadise
11-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Lis, why have you got a girl's head stuck to the back of your bike? :whoashe told me i had the sexiest ass she ever seen lol so i took my jeans down and she and her 3 girlfriends each got pix of each other licking my ass it was pretty hot in port dover friday 13th bash.

traLika
11-16-2010, 01:15 AM
she told me i had the sexiest ass she ever seen lol so i took my jeans down and she and her 3 girlfriends each got pix of each other licking my ass it was pretty hot in port dover friday 13th bash.

I knew there had to be a rational explanation! lol

Caff_Racer
11-16-2010, 01:29 AM
I also like a good ride on quiet country roads even if the ride ends up somewhat like this...:

YouTube - Isle Of Man TT 2009 Steve Plater Onboard video part 1 of 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpq01LYEh0k)

By the way, lisa, what bike is that you're on? A Yamaha XS1100?

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=353997&stc=1&d=1289861020

lisaparadise
11-16-2010, 01:44 AM
im not sure i was checkin it out and the owner asked me if i would sit on it so he could take pix

hotcar
11-16-2010, 01:52 AM
amazing vid in tt isle of man cafe racer!

Caff_Racer
11-16-2010, 02:07 AM
amazing vid in tt isle of man cafe racer!

The Isle of Man TT - and true road racing in general - is what racing is all about as far as I'm concerned, not all that MotoGP shit. That's why if I go racing it'll be on the roads, not on the short circuits.

hotcar
11-16-2010, 02:20 AM
cafef racer do you have motorbike?

Caff_Racer
11-16-2010, 02:34 AM
Yup, I have a Triumph Thruxton 900.

Here's my pride and joy:

hippifried
11-16-2010, 03:14 AM
I heard on the radio today that they found the hit & run guy, & he's out on bail now.

tao1kiku
11-16-2010, 04:32 AM
I've had 4 bikes during my earlier years, over 300,000 miles of driving and there is absolutely nothing like it! Cutting canyon runs, opeing it up flat out on a deserted desert road, cruising country backroads on a fall Sunday afternoon. Always wore a full face helmet, racing leathers (jacket and pants) and gloves, even in the Mojave desert. All it took was one stupid car driver and damn near bought the farm. But, after almost 20 years, I'm slowly getting back on starting on a smaller bike. Every motorcyclist knows the risks when they get on, and for the fools that drive with a 3/4 helment, shorts and a T-shirt who lane split doing 150 mph, you've got it coming baby!

bat1
11-16-2010, 05:07 AM
guess I will post mine 2002 Kawasaki ZX12R

bat1
11-16-2010, 05:09 AM
Yup, I have a Triumph Thruxton 900.

Here's my pride and joy:

that bike looks just like a early Norton Commando :Bowdown:

runround04
11-16-2010, 05:53 AM
Shoulda been on a Busa...

Caff_Racer
11-16-2010, 10:22 AM
that bike looks just like a early Norton Commando :Bowdown:

Well in fact the seat unit is from a 1970's Norton Commando production racer, and the exhaust cans are Norman Hyde peashooters, which are carbon copies of the peashooters fitted to Commandos.