PDA

View Full Version : like coke? read this

bat1
11-13-2010, 09:58 PM
wow! not good
http://www.southwesterncollegesun.com/viewpoints/coca-cola-battery-acid-to-the-human-body-1.1771419

Coca-Cola: battery acid to the human body
A perspective
By Samantha Tellez

Published: Thursday, November 11, 2010
Updated: Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:11

From the pop of the top to that fizzled eruption, smiles are born when opening a can of Coca-Cola. Little do Coke-lovers know, an acidic and sweet poison runs through their bodies from the first sip. Many drinkers likely have no idea what ingredients are combined to make the dreadful drink.
Southwestern College does not provide Coca-Cola, as they have a contract with the Pepsi-Cola Company. Die-hard Coke fans bring their own to school. Some restaurants and stores surrounding the campus also provide our student population and community with this sweet poison.
Is it really the taste that consumers are so addicted to, or is it merely the name that draws Coke drinkers in? The taste of the effervescent, acidic beverage may lose its magical effect it has on consumers and in time become just another soda on the shelf. The Coca-Cola logo and the friendly polar bears displayed on the label during the holidays come into play and help keep the brand on top of the popularity scale. These features lure consumers, who may buy it out of habit than a desire for the taste.
Coca-Cola is a terrible substance that should not be consumed by anyone. One would think its ability to clean corrosions on car battery terminals due to the different acidic components alone should deter fans, but it does not.
One of Coke's acidic properties includes the active ingredient of phosphoric acid. Acids in the stomach, which help regulate functions, compete with phosphoric acid. In its purest form, phosphoric can eat through metals.
Since its conception, questions have risen regarding its components and "addictive" ingredient that keeps drinkers coming back for more. Coca-Cola was originally named after a combination of two key ingredients, the cocaine rich coca leaves and a caffeine-abundant cola nut. Initially the soft drink contained some amounts of cocaine when it first emerged, although the exact amount cannot be determined. Health-conscious students do not use cocaine to boost energy, so why drink Coke instead?
Students and other Coke fans who drink the bubbly substance might often display withdrawal symptoms due to the lack of caffeine when kicking the soda habit. Coca-Cola's withdrawal symptoms consist of headaches, migraines, fatigue, irritability and even depression or anxiety.
Coca-Cola is too often given to children, sometimes even in baby bottles. Before children even begin growing any teeth, Coke begins to decay and rot enamel. These children's teeth are decayed, causing them to fall out or be pulled out prematurely.
Other dangerous effects of drinking Coca-Cola also include obesity, calcium reduction of the bones due to phosphoric acid components and heart disease.
Coke is not the answer to putting an end to a child's temper tantrum or used as a sugar and caffeine high. Coca-Cola should be ingested sparingly to avoid possible health issues and instead be put to good use cleaning rust spots from chrome bumpers.

Odelay
11-13-2010, 10:54 PM
It's better for you if you snort it. The nose hair filters out all the bad crap.

bvj55
11-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Pretty simple actually. I wouldn't purchase or consume the product if I were you. Not sure why you feel it is so important that nobody consume it. Perhaps you feel it would be best if a nanny state removed the product to protect you from yourself. You have the free choice to use it or not. I know several people who eat no meat and are constantly trashing people for their choices yet they smoke and drink to excess. It's all about free choice. Actually everything will eventually kill you. Make the choices that are right for you and let others do the same. Think I'll go relax with a nice rum and coke.

bassman2546
11-13-2010, 11:31 PM
I take of the battery acid effect. I mix my coke with four ounces of whiskey. Problem solved.

traLika
11-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Cola is definitely not good for you but Samantha Tellez is being a bit of a scaremonger.

"In its purest form, phosphoric can eat through metals."

In the stomach you'll naturally find hydrochloric acid which, "in its purest form", can also eat through metals. Mix hydrochloric acid with nitric acid and you have aqua regia, which is used to dissolve gold...

And you'd have to drink a hell of a lot of Cola to get withdrawal symptoms.

DL_NL
11-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Luckily, my stomach is not made of metal.

I'll stick to drinking mineral water. I dislike sweet drinks anyway.

scroller
11-14-2010, 12:42 AM
That's, like... really, really, poorly written. Does not imply good things about "Southwestern College" if that's how the newspaper staff does its job.

TSMichelleAustin
11-14-2010, 01:46 AM
Damn and I thought this was on subject of the other coke! LOL!!!

dreamon
11-14-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm drinking one right now. Oh well.