PDA

View Full Version : Pinot Noir???????

Thick_Bar
11-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Who are the wine freaks on this board, and what do you recommend? Currently I'm digging the Louis Jadot 2001 Pinot.....

NickTheQuick
11-24-2005, 09:35 AM
classy.....

hwbs
11-24-2005, 09:39 AM
classy.....

box wine...!!!! the gift that keeps on giving, lol

Thick_Bar
11-24-2005, 09:40 AM
gotta love the box! lol

hwbs
11-24-2005, 09:49 AM
hmmm im guessing thats the new 180 litre

Thick_Bar
11-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Now, if Nick could only get a pic of two of them, we'd have a new visual reference for the term "bumping boxes".

GroobySteven
11-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Who are the wine freaks on this board, and what do you recommend? Currently I'm digging the Louis Jadot 2001 Pinot.....

If you can get anything by Hobbs or Grenock Creek (esp. the grenache) give them a try.
Coppola Directors Reserve Cab Franc 2001/2002 are both good buys.

A great wine to start with is a Gunderlock Reisling Auslese - esp. served withs seafood appertiser or on a warm evening.
seanchai

Ecstatic
11-24-2005, 03:39 PM
I prefer reds over whites. J. Lohr markets a decent inexpensive Merlot.

hwbs
11-24-2005, 09:45 PM
hmmm on a serious note...for pinot noir , i like latour pinot noir Valmoissine or like in my other post , jokingly, duckhorn goldeneye pinot noir....also cant go wrong with Caymus Connundrum or Bouchard Chassagne-Montrachet blanc.... :lol:

BlackAdder
11-24-2005, 10:07 PM
I like grape mad dog, that counts right?

GroobySteven
11-24-2005, 10:51 PM
hmmm on a serious note...for pinot noir , i like latour pinot noir Valmoissine or like in my other post , jokingly, duckhorn goldeneye pinot noir....also cant go wrong with Caymus Connundrum or Bouchard Chassagne-Montrachet blanc.... :lol:

Connundrum is excellent value.
Sin Zin (Zinfadel) - i think a Napa vineyard is good also.

Getting into the red varietals - drink mostly from Spain, France, Argentina, Chile, NZ and Australia. California wines are over-priced in the US (you can buy them cheaper in Europe funnily enough) and although I quite like the power of them sometimes, the subtleties of old world wine works better for me (and the value of S.America wine vs quality is awesome).
seanchai

chefmike
11-24-2005, 11:10 PM
I prefer reds over whites. J. Lohr markets a decent inexpensive Merlot.

I don't mind Merlot, but it reminds me of the movie Sideways...

"If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot"

"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!"

GroobySteven
11-24-2005, 11:16 PM
What's funny is that you now have so called wine snobs who started getting into wine after that movie refusing to drink merlot. There are some awesome merlots and it was put into the movie as a joke - and of course contributes to some great Bordeax's
seanchai

hwbs
11-24-2005, 11:20 PM
and then there is yellow tail..... :jerkoff

GroobySteven
11-24-2005, 11:27 PM
They add sugar to sweeten it for US tastes.

Have you tried "Two Buck Chuck"? Charles Shaw Vineyards - excellent and less than $2 a bottle.
seanchai

Quinn
11-25-2005, 05:29 AM
I'm really into Champagne, and I occasionally drink certain Trappist ales. As far as wine goes, Shiraz and Porto (vs. Port) are probably my favorites.

Once, when I was like 15, I made the mistake of drinking Boone's Farm.
The thought process went something like this:

Wow, this tastes like soda.
This isn't bad at all.
I've downed tons of this and don't feel half bad.
This is great.
I'm going to drink this all of the time.

Four to five hours later:
Where am I.
Why am I lying in the middle of the street.
Everything is spinning.
Fuck, I feel sooo sick.

To this day, that is the sickest I have ever been (three days of vomiting). That was the last time I touched any form of cheap alcohol.

-Quinn

hwbs
11-25-2005, 05:40 AM
im just getting into port ....ill have a glass of a 15 year tawny port and call it a night...dont remember the name offhand...dont have the bottle....osborne is good though... :lol:

GroobySteven
11-25-2005, 05:48 AM
I got 2 cases of Graham's 2000 vintage port which is unbelievably good.
Last year I bought some from Berry's of London which were a 60's and an 80's bottle - can't remember exact vintage.
I do have a 1970 (my birth year) bottle of Taylors which is well rated but will have to wait until I have a kid to celebrate or something - and a friend (Frank from Franks-tgirlworld.com) give me an 1875 Madeira last year, which is great in the collection but when the fuck am I meant to drink it!
:?
seanchai

Thick_Bar
11-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Yeah, I like Port a lot, I had some Dow's 1996 vintage Port tonight, this is the season for Port here in NYC.

MacMurray Ranch Pinot is good, and the best thing I've had recently was some Olivier Laflaive red burgundy........

That's funny about Sideways, and Merlot, I used to like Merlot, but I stopped drinking it a few years ago, had nothing to do with Sideways. Anyway, I loved that movie.

Seanchai, I love good German Riesling's........ tell us a few South American wines that you recommend.

Reddman
12-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Not quite the accomplished sommeliers as you guys and yes am making my first appreciative steps with pi-not noirs (Cali, Oregon and Washington vineyards mostly but the 2 or so South American PN did not impress me as much. More since I'm partial to medium bodied wines than any Sideways connection

most recent taste i enjoyed greatly just two days ago: Benton Lane (Oregon 2002)

good for eveyday and especially for friends who don't like red wine: Praxis PN (California 2003,2004)

PumpDaddy
12-29-2005, 01:48 PM
I like grape mad dog, that counts right?

Me too!! Let's not forget these "Magnificent Seven":

Cisco red
MD 20/20
Night Train Express
Richard's Wild Irish Rose
VP Medium
Buckfast Tonic Wine
and the creme de la creme.....

THUNDERBIRD!!!

dajuicy
12-29-2005, 04:38 PM
this board never seizes to amaze me..what a wild, eclectic bunch of crazies are here...opinionated, passionatle, smart, freaky, stupid, you name it its here...happy new year....dajuicy

figger
12-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Try the Mark West 2003 Russian River pinot noir, let me know what you think.

LAtoNY
12-29-2005, 08:55 PM
I lived in Chile for a few years in the mid-90's. The Cabernets and Merlots are outstanding. Still have a nice stock of Concha y Toro, Don Melchor from 95 & 96 -- superb!!

Other good Chilean wines are Errazuriz, Cousino-Macul, Caliterra, Santa Rita, Tres Medallas (not sure if that's still around).

Also keep in mind that in addition to their high quality wines, most Chilean wineries also produce "export only" versions as well which tend to be marginal.

PS - Sideways was hilarious!

hothornman
12-30-2005, 03:21 AM
here's a good one from australia--Tait--The Ballbuster 2003 I'm not kidding

Reddman
12-30-2005, 07:32 AM
I lived in Chile for a few years in the mid-90's. The Cabernets and Merlots are outstanding. Still have a nice stock of Concha y Toro, Don Melchor from 95 & 96 -- superb!!

Other good Chilean wines are Errazuriz, Cousino-Macul, Caliterra, Santa Rita, Tres Medallas (not sure if that's still around).

Also keep in mind that in addition to their high quality wines, most Chilean wineries also produce "export only" versions as well which tend to be marginal.

PS - Sideways was hilarious!

LAtoNY any picks on the Chilean PN front?????

Vicki Richter
12-30-2005, 08:00 AM

I have a hookup on the best wine country 2003 Pinot out there. Having just spent the past several days there... Yummy.

BlackAdder
12-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Damn PD...you know your shit....A veritable smorgasboard of bathtub spirits!!!

Thunderbird'll put hair on your chest!! Or is that rot your insides? I always forget how that one goes....ah well, ill console myself with a bottle of Everclear and going blind.