PDA

View Full Version : Study on Gay parents having higher rate of Gay children

fred41
10-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Very interesting...:

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/study-gay-parents-more-likely-to-have-gay-kids/19668089

DL_NL
10-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Isn't it usually more of a problem for gay parents to get children at all?

fred41
10-17-2010, 10:03 PM
The professor supports gay foster parenting....but that's not what the study is really about.

DL_NL
10-17-2010, 10:23 PM
A sense of humour would come in handy here...

fred41
10-17-2010, 11:03 PM
A sense of humour would come in handy here...

:) sorry I didn't read the sentence that way the first time around (have a slight hangover)....I read it as Gay parents have a harder time adopting (getting) children...sorry.

Jericho
10-17-2010, 11:09 PM
he noticed how lesbians begat more lesbians.

This amuses me! :shrug

AllanahStarrNYC
10-17-2010, 11:31 PM
The whole thing sound very silly to me.
I know familys where every sibling is gay from st8 parents. I know twins where one is gay and the other isn't.
It's in your genetic make up.
Environment has nothing to do with sexual prefference IMO.

fred41
10-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I know familys where every sibling is gay from st8 parents. I know twins where one is gay and the other isn't.

This study might suggest that environment might have something to do with it at least to a small degree...the article also breaks it up between female parents and male parents with the female parents having a higher percentage of gay children...what the article doesn't tell me however (at least on AOL)..is the percentage of lesbian children to gay male children raised by gay parents in total...

BellaBellucci
10-18-2010, 12:09 AM

I agree. While I don't think having gay parents makes one gay, it does usually allow one an environment in which it's permissible to explore the possibility. A study like this can only show that, not prove direct causation.

~BB~

trish
10-18-2010, 01:00 AM
The study may suggest that gay children come out earlier, or are simply more willing to come out when their parents are gay. It may suggest that agencies are more inclined to place children who display early behaviors associated with homosexuality with gay parents. It could be that gay parents can tip the sexual orientation of children on the borderline of homosexuality (if there is such a thing as a borderline). It could be the methodology of the study is fucked up. The only conclusion that one can draw from a single study is that another study is warranted.

yosi
10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
It's much easier to get out of the closet if someone's parents are gay , isn't it?

BrendaQG
10-18-2010, 12:10 PM
The abstract of the study says. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20642872

Ten narrative studies involving family histories of 262 children of gay fathers and lesbian mothers were evaluated statistically in response to Morrison's (2007) concerns about Cameron's (2006) research that had involved three narrative studies. Despite numerous attempts to bias the results in favour of the null hypothesis and allowing for up to 20 (of 63, 32%) coding errors, Cameron's (2006) hypothesis that gay and lesbian parents would be more likely to have gay, lesbian, bisexual or unsure (of sexual orientation) sons and daughters was confirmed. Percentages of children of gay and lesbian parents who adopted non-heterosexual identities ranged between 16% and 57%, with odds ratios of 1.7 to 12.1, depending on the mix of child and parent genders. Daughters of lesbian mothers were most likely (33% to 57%; odds ratios from 4.5 to 12.1) to report non-heterosexual identities. Data from ethnographic sources and from previous studies on gay and lesbian parenting were re-examined and found to support the hypothesis that social and parental influences may influence the expression of non-heterosexual identities and/or behaviour. Thus, evidence is presented from three different sources, contrary to most previous scientific opinion, even most previous scientific consensus, that suggests intergenerational transfer of sexual orientation can occur at statistically significant and substantial rates, especially for female parents or female children. In some analyses for sons, intergenerational transfer was not significant. Further research is needed with respect to pathways by which intergenerational transfer of sexual orientation may occur. The results confirm an evolving tendency among scholars to cite the possibility of some degree of intergenerational crossover of sexual orientation.

This is not saying that gay parents influence their children to be gay, it's saying that gay parents are more likely to have gay children which would indicate that being gay is somehow genetic.

It also acknowledges the reality that many truly gay people, have had some little hetero experience and that they can even have children like anyone else. It only takes one strong swimmer.

russtafa
10-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Its enough to drive you STRAIGHT up the wall

Nowhere
10-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I think the fact that they know they'll be accepted allows the kids to come out of the closet more easily instead of living a life in denial (i.e. like people who "realize" they're gay at age 50).

I know it's not remotely as common as trans kids getting thrown out on the street (which I get the impression it's like 50% or more) but there is definitely an exponentially higher risk of being permanently ostracized and tossed from your family if a child is gay and their parents are straight, no?

How about a study on how much higher the odds are that a child will be abandoned or abused if they attempt to come out as being gay in a household with two straight parents instead of two gay parents???

Duh
10-18-2010, 03:39 PM
The results confirm an evolving tendency among scholars to cite the possibility of some degree of intergenerational crossover of sexual orientation.

That`s all it is. Nothing more nothing less. It doesn`t confirm that being gay is genetic although it is a good hypothesis that needs further researches.

loveburst
10-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Very interesting...:

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/study-gay-parents-more-likely-to-have-gay-kids/19668089

Heh, well this study does not adress the issue of many gays actually hiding behind a social mask (meaning also those, who have not been able to admit their sexual inclinations to themselves due to some sort of a dogma) - which is quite large percentage of people these days (as it has always been). Also ithe study does not identify bisexuals, meaning those who are open to making love with both genders without labeling stuff..

So that is a bit of a downfall in those percentages given actually =/

phobun
10-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Very interesting...:

It's a meta-analysis... as is said... garbage-in, garbage-out.

"I'm trying to prove that it's not 100 percent genetic," Schumm tells AOL News.

Sounds like he has a bias.

giovanni_hotel
10-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Non-heterosexual identities = bisexual, not specifically homosexual IMO.