PDA

View Full Version : best used car for winter driving..........

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
10-09-2010, 08:09 AM
need a good used car for the harsh winters (thanks global warming) the tri state area gets as of late, don't want to spend an arm and a leg, looking for suggestions.......

so far I was thinking maybe a used Grand Cherokee, those things go cheap in Laredo form

goku
10-09-2010, 08:11 AM
need a good used car for the harsh winters (thanks global warming) the tri state area gets as of late, don't want to spend an arm and a leg, looking for suggestions.......

so far I was thinking maybe a used Grand Cherokee, those things go cheap in Laredo form

Price range??

bridgetbbyxo
10-09-2010, 08:18 AM
im gonna have a a friend get me a one of the "green"(meaning its still under warranty) cars from the dealers auction for 4000... just gotta pay him like a 100 buck since he's a dealer..

Deja Vu
10-09-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.hertzcarsales.com/

sunairco
10-09-2010, 08:39 AM
My kid did very well up in Northeast with my old '93 Cherokee XJ and only recently bought an 08 Grand new that's been a charm so far. Older model XJ's are pretty plentyful as former municipal fleet vehicles that have been maintained well beyond their blue/black book values and outfitted accordingly. They are cheap to repair and parts are very available for the older models.

tregus
10-09-2010, 08:43 AM
IMO, hands down...a saab 9-3, preferrably an aero. They are super inexpensive, fast, sexy looking ride, front wheel drive with amazing traction controll (sweden). They are either 4 cylinder or V6, both are turbo, and city gas milage is 22-24, highway 35+. Automatic tranny (no pun) is impressive in controll and quickness. I've had 2, currently own an 08. Bought the 08 with 25K miles for 16K out the door. Again, super cheap, and can't beat the performance....

you could pic up a Linear (base model) for 8 to 12K (04 to 07), or an Arc (same package as the aero minus the interior and suspension) for about 2K more, but again I'd recommend the Aero...just a sexy ride and worth the money for what you get with it, in comparison within its class (audi A4, Benz C Class, Acura TSX, BMW 3 series).

that's my 2 cents.

hwbs
10-09-2010, 11:04 AM
the one reason why i was glad to get rid of my tl ....that thing was soooooo horrible in the snow...

BLKGSXR
10-09-2010, 11:36 AM
anything with TRACTION CONTROL!!! Awd is preferred but RWD is fine...Lexus is300 or 350 couldnt hurt :D

Caff_Racer
10-09-2010, 11:39 AM
This might be useful for "harsh winters":

http://www.smartsrus.com/images/other/Smart-Half-track.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

AllanahStarrNYC
10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
A horse and buggy?

DL_NL
10-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Audi A4 quattro or any Subaru... no beating AWD in bad weather.

lisaparadise
10-09-2010, 01:38 PM

so far I was thinking maybe a used Grand Cherokee, those things go cheap in Laredo formya i may need one as well i have a 2009 mustang convertable and it sucks in the winter but last year we only had snow for 3 weeks thank god but this year i might put it away and get a winter beater

Anubis1779
10-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Honestly, when I was living in the other tri-state area (PA, OH, NY) I had a '97 Honda Civic EX (high school car) with Blizzak snow tires and upper strut tower bars on the front and rear, and it was awesome! It was so predictable in the snow and fun as hell to drive. I used to wake up early as hell (4am) just so I could out and do a little rally driving while the powder was fresh. It was great on the highways also, easily passing anything on the road with confidence and not making winter road trips take forever (I'd do 70-80 mph when the road was completely packed with snow). I've never had more fun behind the wheel (180mph runs on I-4 included) than I did driving that car in the winter. Also, it gets good mileage and is cheap to repair if something goes awry.

CORVETTEDUDE
10-09-2010, 08:46 PM
JWBL....It's not just the vehicle but the tires that meet the roed. A 4WD or AWD with shitty tires is nothing but a shitty ride. The Cherokee is a decent and inexpensive choice, as long as it is in good mechanical condition. Keep in mind, "Murphy's Law" is alive and well. If you're gonna spend the dinero....spend it wisely!