PDA

View Full Version : Male, Female or "Other" Would a 3rd sex classification hurt or help?

www.tglovers.com
09-29-2010, 02:38 AM
YouTube - Male, Female Or "Other" - Is there a need for a 3rd sex classification (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGDytWeJg14)

BeardedOne
09-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Heh @ "The Headless Transsexual". :)

BeardedOne
09-29-2010, 03:43 AM
Nice piece, and exploring age-old questions. I've said it before that gender is fluid and doesn't subscribe to the binary 'norm' of the 'real world'.

Said 'real world' just needs to adjust to true reality.

BellaBellucci
09-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Wouldn't an 'other' designation reduce one's ability to self-identify or force someone to that doesn't want to (i.e. they'd prefer to choose their gender ID instead of their sex)? That's what I read out of it at least.

~BB~

youshouldtrythislol
09-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Why would we need an 'other' category? I think 't'girls should be able to put female and be done with it, no hassle.

yodajazz
09-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Why would we need an 'other' category? I think 't'girls should be able to put female and be done with it, no hassle.
Ideally yes, transwoman should be legally classified as women. But there still usually has to be some defintion of who passes the cut off. I third gender may serve some who are ealier in thei transition. I'm not completely convinced that it is a good idea, however many transexual do indentify as a third. I have heard it said that many travestis of Brazil feel this way.

yodajazz
09-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Ideally yes, transwoman should be legally classified as women. But there still usually has to be some defintion of who passes the cut off. I third gender may serve some who are ealier in thei transition. I'm not completely convinced that it is a good idea, however many transexual do indentify as a third. I have heard it said that many travestis of Brazil feel this way.

archineer
09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Most of my thai friends call themselves ladyboys- they see themselves as third gender.

dderek123
09-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Most of my thai friends call themselves ladyboys- they see themselves as third gender.

Why not?

Yeah a third gender is not a bad thing. Variety is the spice of life. Those who choose to be identified as a 'third gender' will be happy. And those that want to transition all the way can be identified as a female (for MTF) or male (for FTM). Sounds nice to me.

Jericho
09-29-2010, 07:33 PM
There's never going to be one solution that fits all! :shrug

henryfool
09-29-2010, 07:43 PM
i don't know 3 more star wars really didn't help.....

dderek123
09-29-2010, 07:54 PM
There's never going to be one solution that fits all! :shrug

Definitely... I am for inventing a word to identify a third sex because it can't hurt, but where does it stop?
...What gender label should be given to CDs and transvestites? What about the TS that are happy with not transitioning all the way to SRS? What label should be used to identify males who love TS or CDs or TVs? What's the point of labeling everything? They are just words ...

I believe that the labels and categories wouldn't make that much of a difference. It would only make it easier for simple minded people remember what name to call someone. Spreading awareness and promoting positive/constructive understanding of the lives of people involved in the scene would be more helpful imho.

Ones head could be spinning with all the complexity trying to label everything.

The moment I made peace with doing what I want to do is when I realized I didn't care about labels and cared more about being happy and doing what I want to do. Fuck the haters and all the other bullshit.

SarahG
09-30-2010, 03:50 AM
We should either use a two-gender system or we should not use any such distinctions in normal society.

There is no such thing as a 3rd category. A FtM and MtF do not have the same gender. Period. To imply both MtFs and FtMs are the same gender is intellectual dishonesty.

Example... If we started using 3 bathrooms in public places then we'd have proven that MtFs and FtMs can share the same bathroom in public without causing the downfall of society. If that is true we should be able to expect GGs and GBs to do the same. Instead of using 3 bathrooms we'd be better off just getting it over with and go to unisex bathrooms.

If we tried building a bathroom for every unique group out there, then we'd end up with somewhere between 4 and 6 bathrooms in every public place. This is foolish. In most places even in cities you'd never see so many separate bathrooms in use at one time. There would also be no way to tell if people are using the correct bathroom. Meaning it would be a massive waste of room and money. At this point it would be easier just to make unisex bathrooms and tell anyone who complains to get over themself and to stop whining.

If the GGs or GBs started complaining that unisex bathrooms were not "private enough" then the simple answer is to point out that public bathrooms are not meant to be private. They're public places. They're not supposed to be as private as your home bathroom. Why do you think we use these crappy metal partitions that rarely extend to the floor or the ceiling? Why do you think the metal doors in public bathrooms don't always shut well and frequently leaves gaps large enough for strangers to look in and watch you? Yet we as a society accept that public restrooms are not totally private and have no problem with it (so long as no one has a "wide stance").

If people really wanted more privacy then fine.... extend the partitions all the way to the floor or ceiling, make stall doors that actually shut properly, and stop leaving people the opportunity to let their "wide stance" get them in trouble. It would take up less space and less resources than building so many separate bathrooms and I'm sure our architectural designers are up to the task. Or we could just leave bathrooms alone and leave them as they are.

This is just one example. It wouldn't be so complicated to make marriage licenses unisex for instance, and anything like a correctional facility is not a normal part of society (which is why inmates don't have the same rights as someone on the outside...).

It's not that complicated. But don't anyone go and say MtFs and FtMs are the same gender.

dderek123
09-30-2010, 03:55 AM
We should either use a two-gender system or we should not use ... If we started using 3 bathrooms ... then we'd have proven that MtFs and FtMs can share the same bathroom in public .... Instead of using 3 bathrooms we'd be better off just getting it over with and go to unisex bathrooms...

If we tried building a bathroom for every unique group out there, then we'd end up with somewhere between 4 and 6 bathrooms in every public place. This is foolish. In most places even in cities you'd never see so many separate bathrooms in use at one time. There would also be no way to tell if people are using the correct bathroom. Meaning it would be a massive waste of room and money. At this point it would be easier just to make unisex bathrooms and tell anyone who complains to get over themself and to stop whining.

If the GGs or GBs started complaining that unisex bathrooms were not "private enough" then the simple answer is to point out that public bathrooms are not meant to be private. They're public places. They're not supposed to be as private as your home bathroom. Why do you think we use these crappy metal partitions that rarely extend to the floor or the ceiling? Why do you think the metal doors in public bathrooms don't always shut well and frequently leaves gaps large enough for strangers to look in and watch you? Yet we as a society accept that public restrooms are not totally private and have no problem with it (so long as no one has a "wide stance").

If people really wanted more privacy then fine.... extend the partitions all the way to the floor or ceiling, make stall doors that actually shut properly, and stop leaving people the opportunity to let their "wide stance" get them in trouble. It would take up less space and less resources than building so many separate bathrooms and I'm sure our architectural designers are up to the task. Or we could just leave bathrooms alone and leave them as they are.

Great example!
All this talk of bathrooms reminds me I have to go visit the throne. :geek:

peggygee
09-30-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm going to stick with the binary definitions of male and female, as I've
worked too hard to be the self-actualized woman I am.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/selfactualize44.jpg

BellaBellucci
09-30-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm going to stick with the binary definitions of male and female, as I've
worked too hard to be the self-actualized woman I am.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/selfactualize44.jpg

Your pyramid is interesting, but incomplete imho. I know many people who have achieved self-actualization while missing one or two of the lower rungs. In fact, sometimes it's even adversity itself that helps one determine who they really are. I wonder why that's not represented.

~BB~

peggygee
09-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Your pyramid is interesting, but incomplete imho. I know many people who have achieved self-actualization while missing one or two of the lower rungs. In fact, sometimes it's even adversity itself that helps one determine who they really are. I wonder why that's not represented.

~BB~

I'll definitely and emphatically agree with you that adverisity can aid in the
path to self actualization, but would beg to differ with you in that not
having the base or primal needs met, such as food, shelter, security
could hinder the path.

However, even Abraham Maslow who put forth the theory and Viktor
Frankl both stated that self-actualization is not necessarily human-kind's
ultimate destination.

To put it in lay terms "It is better to value the journey, than to value the
destination". :yingyang: