PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Quotes of all Time

Pages : [1] 2 3

southern81
09-17-2010, 05:55 AM
i ve always loved hearing Quotes from the past, b/c some still work in 2days time. i fig i would share some.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy--Benjamin Franklin

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. --Alexander the Great

Cowards die many times before their actual deaths. -Julius Caesar (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/juliuscaes378265.html)

PomonaCA
09-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself. CS Lewis

samspud
09-17-2010, 06:09 AM
it's always darkest, just before it turns pitch black and you're eaten alive by vampire sheep. - Me

southern81
09-17-2010, 06:10 AM
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ---Thomas Jefferson

youshouldtrythislol
09-17-2010, 06:37 AM
"It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not"

scubaman
09-17-2010, 06:45 AM
YouTube - Leave the gun Take the cannoli (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHzh0PvMWTI)

Clemenza

PomonaCA
09-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks- Snoop Doggy Dogg

Malik4Tgirls
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
So what's your problem? My Cousin Vinny (1992), spoken by Marisa Tomei

Ma, I made it…Top of the world!
White Heat, spoken by James Cagney

Aw geez what a bunch that is: A meathead, A dingbat, a woman's lib and a bald headed kid. Archie Bunker

Aunt Esther: Who you calling ugly, sucker? (Sanford and Son)

Fred Sanford: I'm calling you ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make some gorilla cookies. (Sanford and Son)

Caff_Racer
09-17-2010, 10:51 AM
"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the Old." - Winston Churchill

"The gratitude of every home in our Island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the World War by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. All hearts go out to the fighter pilots, whose brilliant actions we see with our own eyes day after day; but we must never forget that all the time, night after night, month after month, our bomber squadrons travel far into Germany, find their targets in the darkness by the highest navigational skill, aim their attacks, often under the heaviest fire, often with serious loss, with deliberate careful discrimination, and inflict shattering blows upon the whole of the technical and war-making structure of the Nazi power." - Winston Churchill

Two rousing quotes dedicated to the memory of all those brave and selfless RAF fighter pilots and bomber crews (and not forgetting Polish, French, Czech, Australian, American, Canadian and other pilots) who fought in the skies over Britain, France and Germany.

Niccolo
09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
'A man who wishes to profess goodness at all times will come to ruin among so many who are not good. Therefore, it is necessary for a prince who wishes to maintain himself to learn how not to be good, and to use this knowledge or not to use it according to necessity.' The Prince, Chapter 15.

Silcc69
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, "is Ray Goff still the head coach there?"

Insulted Florida State University as Free Shoes University (after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes).

Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee "You can't spell Citrus without UT" and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP"

in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC. Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying; "But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!"

Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as Ray Goof;

Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying; "How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?"

When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said; "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama"; But then he immediately added the punch: "Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours." (in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s)

Responded to a question of;Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?; at a South Carolina alumni meeting with ; "The same way Vanderbilt did."

rameses2
09-17-2010, 02:41 PM
"Everybody wants to be a nigga but nobody wants to be a nigga."- Paul Mooney. From Chappelle's Show. After he was asked why Black culture is appropriated by other cultures.

southern81
09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
To the victors belong the spoils. --Andrew Jackson

bassman2546
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Go ahead, make my day.

Jericho
09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I rather like my reputation, actually, that of a spoiled genius from the Welsh gutter, a drunk, a womanizer; it's rather an attractive image. Richard Burton

And just for shits and giggles...

Fog in Channel - Continent cut off. English news paper headline

ed_jaxon
09-17-2010, 06:15 PM
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Henry David Thoreau

flabbybody
09-17-2010, 06:21 PM
no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded

Yogi

LibertyHarkness
09-17-2010, 07:00 PM
"what d0 y0u mean flash g0rd0n appr0aching!"

"g0rd0ns aliveeeeeee!"

"squadr0n s0rtie Divvvvvvvvvvvveee"

south ov da border
09-17-2010, 11:57 PM
"Same sh*t, different toilet"...

Caff_Racer
09-18-2010, 01:53 AM
"Vive le Québec libre!" - Charles de Gaulle

"You cannot be fuckin' serious, man!" - John McEnroe

rameses2
09-18-2010, 03:31 AM
"Autobots! Roll out!" This guy:344285

rockabilly
09-18-2010, 03:46 AM
"And i'll form the Head." - Keith the pilot of the Black Lion ... who wore a Red Suit. Voltron

sjn1924
09-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard.

PomonaCA
09-18-2010, 06:55 PM
"Give em a tootsie roll, and tell em thanks for the pussy hole"- Eazy E

Wow! How can we not respect people who think like that?

Jericho
09-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I like the English. They have the most rigid code of immorality in the world.
Malcolm Bradbury

traLika
09-18-2010, 09:57 PM
"Buggers can't be choosers"

Winston Churchill commenting on a 'marriage of convenience' of a homosexual politician to an ugly woman.

Jericho
09-19-2010, 06:25 AM
The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.
Sir Richard Francis Burton

russtafa
09-19-2010, 08:17 AM
peace in our time-neville chamberlin. for all you liberals and peace niks

PomonaCA
09-19-2010, 08:53 AM
peace in our time-neville chamberlin. for all you liberals and peace niks

Don't remind them of that. They like to believe that stabbing your friends in the back and handing them over to slaughter is 'non-aggression'. Peace at any price, including slavery and slaughter.

kilumanti
09-19-2010, 09:34 AM
"The cemeteries of the world are full of indispensable men" - Charles de Gaulle

Jericho
09-20-2010, 04:09 AM
The Pope might be French, but Jesus is English!
.....Roland

Helvis2012
09-20-2010, 04:41 AM
YouTube - Leave the gun Take the cannoli (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHzh0PvMWTI)

Clemenza

Classic! Fat Clemenza knows!

JamesHunt
09-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Clint Eastwood - A Man's Got to Know his Limitations

YouTube - Eastwood- A Man's Got to Know his Limitations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0)

flabbybody
09-20-2010, 06:29 AM
people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

Josef Goebbels

jamiecoxxdotcom
09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it. - W.C. Fields

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. - Tom Waits, (Most famously.)

I'd rather have 100 natural vices than 1 unnatural virtue. - Oscar Wilde.

south ov da border
09-20-2010, 09:07 AM
We don't need no stinkin' badges...

loren
09-21-2010, 02:40 AM
I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me.

I never saw so many shocking bad hats in my life.
- Of the British Parliament.
People talk of their enlisting from their fine military feeling - all stuff - no such thing. Some of our men enlist from having got bastard children -- some for minor offences -- many more for drink.

(my favorite)Hard pounding, gentlemen. Let's see who pounds the longest.

The Duke of Wellington

princevince89
09-21-2010, 05:23 AM
"Escalators can not break, they can only become stairs"

-Mitch Hedberg

lisaparadise
09-21-2010, 03:50 PM
And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.
John F. Kennedy (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/johnfkenn109213.html)

Amsterdamage
09-21-2010, 06:30 PM
"i cost so much because i'm not very good. it takes me twice as long to do it right"

southern81
04-03-2011, 05:34 AM
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. -Alexander the Great (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alexandert391181.html)

There is nothing impossible to him who will try.
Alexander the Great (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alexandert148611.html)

Life's Tragedy is that we get old to soon and wise too late.
Benjamin Franklin (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/benjaminfr132004.html)

southern81
04-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide. --John Adams

theone1982
04-03-2011, 08:29 AM
After your death you will be what you were before your birth. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Prospero
04-03-2011, 08:44 AM
"Life is far too serious not to be taken lightly"
Oscar Wilde

Nivek
04-03-2011, 01:09 PM
"Modern paintings are like women, you'll never enjoy them if you try to understand them." (Freddie Mercury)

jaybee
04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
"When it comes to bullshit, big time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe, in AWE, of the all time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, RELIGION... no contest!" - George Carlin

jaybee
04-03-2011, 03:14 PM
"Don’t just eat a mushroom stem and see colours, eat the whole bag and see God one time in your life! A real God! Not some storybook bullshit God that’s been fucking kicked in your head for the last 2000 years that you just accept with no logic what so ever, a real God that works for you. Every time you deny your own logic, deny your own instincts, you deny your own God you fucking moron." - Doug Stanhope

Faldur
04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
"Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film." Oscar Wilde

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Weather my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure." Benny Hill

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, your a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Jack Handey

tgtscurious
04-03-2011, 05:02 PM
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever" - Keanu Reeves in The Replacements

"One shall stand.. One shall fall" - Optimus Prime

flabbybody
04-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Democracy is the worst form of government....
except for all the others.

Sir Winston Churchill

Stavros
04-03-2011, 06:26 PM
"La vie est une tragédie pour celui qui sent,une comédie pour celui réfléchit"

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think.
-Jean de la Bruyere, but I have also seen it cited as a quote from Racine.

markyboy21
04-03-2011, 11:19 PM
"The moving finger writes; and, having writ, moves on: nor all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line, nor all thy tears wash out a word of it." The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

"Your not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin.

"Twas a woman who drove me to drink and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it." W.C.Fields.

"Always remember Clemmie, I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me" Winston Churchill.

"And you, madame, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning." Winston Churchill.

"Mr Churchill I want you to know that I got up at dawn and drove one hundred miles for the unveiling of your bust." A Curvaceous Female. "Madam, I want you to know that I would happily reciprocate the honour." Winston Churchill.

"If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee." Nancy Astor. "Nancy,if I were your husband I would drink it." Winston Churchill.

I think Churchill has more of the greatest quotes than anyone.

Prospero
04-03-2011, 11:35 PM
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. "
Walt Whitman

"A man of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key"
Paul Valery

"The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, but stranger than we can imagine."
Sir Arthur Eddington

"Life is a tale told by by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
Shakespeare

CORVETTEDUDE
04-04-2011, 12:41 AM
"It's time for change!"....Barack Obama

Willie Escalade
04-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

mikelpo
04-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Mother fucker - Richard Pryor

Prospero
04-05-2011, 09:36 AM
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on and our little lives are rounded with a sleep" Prospero in The Tempest

Ineeda SM
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
"Get your facts straight first, then you can distort them as you please."
....................Mark Twain.

“If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.”

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
....................Mark Twain

It is perfectly legal to be stupid. I just wish people would stop abusing the privilege.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more, is a congress
....................John Adams

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
....................James Bovard, Civil Libertarian

Prospero
04-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Love those Twain quotes Ineeda. Thanks.

iamdrgonzo
04-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Thomas More on governments:

"They are a conspiracy of the rich, who, on pretence of managing the public, only pursue their private ends, and devise all the ways and arts they find out, first, that they may, without danger, preserve all that they have so aquired, and then that they may engage the poor to toil and labour for them, at as low rates as possible and oppress them as they please."

Stavros
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.
abandon all hope, ye who enter here(The sign on the gates of Hell)
-Dante, Inferno Canto III

iamdrgonzo
04-05-2011, 09:42 PM
" In accordance to the principles of Doublethink, it does not matter if the war is not real, or when it is, that victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won. It is meant to be continuous. The essential act of modern warfare is the destruction of the produce of human labor. A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance. In principle, the war effort is always planned to keep society on the brink of starvation. The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects. And its object is not victory over Eurasia or Eastasia, but to keep the very structure of society intact."

~ Winston Smith from Orwell's 1984

Stavros
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
It was midday, and the clocks were striking thirteen...

iamdrgonzo
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
"The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws." ~ Tacitus

joeym75ld
04-05-2011, 10:13 PM
people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

Josef Goebbels

Flabbybody, was he referring to the Holocaust in this quote?
Scary.

iamdrgonzo
04-05-2011, 10:22 PM
"Single acts of tyranny may be ascribed to the accidental opinion of a day. But a series of oppressions, begun at a distinguished period, and pursued unalterably through every change of ministers, too plainly proves a deliberate systematic plan of reducing us to slavery."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Jericho
04-05-2011, 10:31 PM
That'll do, Pig!

Jericho
04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Interrogation Cop (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003160/): You know what happens if you do another turn in the joint?
Hockney (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001629/): Fuck your father in the shower and then have a snack?
The Usual Suspects

insurgentes
04-05-2011, 10:36 PM
The word "problem" is completely unknown to my vocabulary. In this world, we don't have "problems": we only have "opportunities".

Insurgentes

HUNGTOP552
04-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Don't knock it til you try it - an old saying

iamdrgonzo
04-06-2011, 03:05 AM
"A criminal who acts under the color of government "authority" is simply a criminal, and should be dealt with, by the citizen, in appropriate fashion." ~ John Locke

southern81
04-06-2011, 04:34 AM
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty ---Thomas Jefferson.

theone1982
04-06-2011, 04:46 AM
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world."-Paul Gerhardt

south ov da border
04-06-2011, 05:09 AM
The great thing about being the only species that makes a distinction between right and wrong is that we can make up the rules for ourselves as we go along.-Douglas Adams...

south ov da border
04-06-2011, 05:09 AM
We are not an endangered species ourselves yet, but this is not for lack of trying.-Douglas Adams...

Ineeda SM
04-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Love those Twain quotes Ineeda. Thanks.

Your welcome hun. Twain is my favorite. Here's a few more......

“Isn't it strange how everyone thinks that their own opinion should be the only rule? But if you challenge them on it, they proudly argue back that they are Americans, and have the freedom to do anything, say anything, and be anything they want. Let's see now. My way only, or freedom to choose for yourself? Dictatorship, or democracy? Seems to me, you can't have it both ways. But if you refuse to consider the needs and desires of others, then you have cast your final ballot against democracy.”
................... Mark Twain.

“A fact is a fact. It means the statements of an issue are proven, confirmed, and verified as total honesty and truthful. When you state a fact you tell the truth. When you dispute the fact, you’re either lying deliberately, or you are just plumb stupid.”

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself."

“The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin.”

nevada64
04-06-2011, 06:01 AM
"There are worse things than being alone." - Charles Bukowski

TJ347
04-06-2011, 06:25 AM
"Friendship is an arrangement by which we undertake to exchange small favors for big ones." - Baron de Motesquieu

"If all men knew what each said of the other, there would not be four friends in the world." - Blaise Pascal

"The word good has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man." - G. K. Chesterton

"When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other." - Eric Hoffer

Prospero
04-06-2011, 09:30 AM
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
Oscar Wilde

LibertyHarkness
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
"I have come to Destroy You!" Dreadnaught Bjorn 41st Millenium . this is what he says to humanities encounter with the Eldar ...

TJ347
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
"Faith; n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks, without knowledge, of things without parallel." - Ambrose Bierce

"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for the them, the rest of us could not succeed." - Mark Twain

"Voters quickly forget what a man says." - Richard M. Nixon

"It's innocence when it charms us, ignorance when it doesn't." - Mignon McLaughlin

"A woman is a woman until the day she dies, but a man's a man only as long as he can."- Moms Mabley

Corven Ren
04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
"Try not, do or do not, there is no try"~Yoda

"The noir hero is a knight in bloodcaked armor, hes dirty and does his best to deny he's a hero the whole time."~Frank Miller

"There is no knowledge that is not power"~from the Original Mortal Kombat

"That which does not kill me makes me stronger"~Frederich Neice

Prospero
04-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Corven Ren.... the last quote is from the 19th century german philosopher Friedrich Nietszche

Like this one -
"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Cuchulain
04-06-2011, 06:56 PM
The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets or steal bread. - Anatole France

Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair, or fuckin’ beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man — and give some back. - Al Swearengen, HBO's Deadwood

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!” - Jack Kerouac

“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged, a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested” - Tom Wolfe

“A lot of people think 'Alice's Restaurant' was an anti-war song. It's not. It's an anti-idiot song,” - Arlo Guthrie

We have become a Nazi monster in the eyes of the whole world, a nation of bullies and bastards who would rather kill than live peacefully. We are not just Whores for power and oil, but killer whores with hate and fear in our hearts. We are human scum, and that is how history will judge us. No redeeming social value. Just whores. Get out of our way, or we'll kill you. Who does vote for these dishonest shitheads? Who among us can be happy and proud of having all this innocent blood on our hands? Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid little rich kids like George Bush? They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate mongers among us; they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis. And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them. - Hunter S Thompson
http://i.brainyquote.com/i/t.gif

iamdrgonzo
04-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up. ~ Roger Waters

Prospero
04-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. - T S Eliot

iamdrgonzo
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality" ~ Dante

Prospero
04-06-2011, 09:34 PM
"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality" ~ Dante

I LOVE this

iamdrgonzo
04-06-2011, 09:57 PM
"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." ~ Mario Savio

Stavros
04-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hate quotations, tell me what you know.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Emerson, America's finest writer of prose...

Corven Ren
04-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Corven Ren.... the last quote is from the 19th century german philosopher Friedrich Nietszche

Like this one -
"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
Friedrich Nietzsche

I ha a feeling I misspelled it, I did not have a way to look it up while I was posting.

TJ347
04-08-2011, 04:53 AM
"Those who can do; those who can't teach." - Unknown

"The fault no child ever loses is the one he was most punished for." - Cesare Beccaria

"The Christian religion was not only at first attended with miracles, but even at this day cannot be believed by any reasonable person without one." - David Hume

"All cruelty springs from weakness." - Seneca

iamdrgonzo
04-08-2011, 05:12 AM
Fishiii ~ Susi

markyboy21
04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=TJ347;911482]"Those who can do; those who can't teach." - Unknown

This is by George Bernard Shaw.

Prospero
04-08-2011, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=TJ347;911482]"Those who can do; those who can't teach." - Unknown

This is by George Bernard Shaw.

....and it's one I've always hated! Shaw so disrespects one of the toughest professions.

TJ347
04-11-2011, 01:45 AM
[quote=markyboy21;911522]

....and it's one I've always hated! Shaw so disrespects one of the toughest professions.

Thanks markyboy... Couldn't recall when I posted it who'd come up with that gem.

Prospero, I think that Shaw makes a good point, though I can see how it can be viewed as disrespectful depending on how you interpret it. For example, I always wondered how one of my favorite professors could be such an incredible teacher, yet had an absolutely miserable legal practice. Some students have gone on to impressive careers, yet his own wasn't one of note. In this example, Shaw's words ring quite true.

"Always willing to lend a helping hand to the one above him." - F. Scott Fitzgerald of Hemingway

"James Joyce- an essentially private man who wished his total indifference to public notice to be universally recognized." - Tom Stoppard

"Henry James had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it." - T.S. Eliot

"Hard to lay down but easy not to pick up." - Malcolm Cowley of James O'Hara's novels

"Nobody can read Freud without realizing that he was the scientific equivalent of another nuisance, George Bernard Shaw." - Robert Maynard Hutchins

Stavros
04-11-2011, 02:05 AM
'I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry'
-John Cage

I think of him as a sound engineer rather than a composer -all music is sound, but not all sound is music, unless you are John Cage.

theone1982
04-11-2011, 02:16 AM
“It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye...than it's fun and games and you can't see anymore.” -James Hetfield, rocker, philsosopher, and all around awesome dude.

JoShe
04-11-2011, 02:42 AM
"Midlife is when you reach the top of the ladder only to find it's been leaning against the wrong wall."
- apocryphal

"Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields

"Can I teach Evolution in your church?"
- bumper sticker

"A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two is never quite sure."
- Confucius

hippifried
04-11-2011, 05:48 AM
"Oops!"
~George Custer~

Ineeda SM
04-11-2011, 07:07 AM
I was carrying my matress on my back out to the street, and a cop asked me why. I told him some guy wanted curb service.
............Mae West

Prospero
04-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Beckett

transmaven
04-11-2011, 11:29 AM
On over-indulgence with drink (http://www.samueljohnson.com/drinking.html), to the extent of becoming a beast: "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man (http://www.samueljohnson.com/depressi.html)."
Anecdotes of the Rvd Percival Stockdale (reprinted in "Johnsonian Miscellanies", edited by G.B. Hill).
"Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."
from Boswell's Life of Johnson

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote (http://www.samueljohnson.com/writing.html), except for money (http://www.samueljohnson.com/action.html)."

On second marriages (http://www.samueljohnson.com/marriage.html): "The triumph of hope over experience."

"Much may be made of a Scotchman (http://www.samueljohnson.com/scotland.html), if he be caught young."

"Human life (http://www.samueljohnson.com/life.html) is everywhere a state in which much is to be endured, and little to be enjoyed."
Johnson: Rasselas [said by the character Imlac]

"A man, Sir, should keep his friendship (http://www.samueljohnson.com/friendsh.html) in constant repair."

"No man will be a sailor (http://www.samueljohnson.com/soldiers.html) who has contrivance enough to get himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned."

"Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged (http://www.samueljohnson.com/mortalit.html) in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

"Sir, I have found you an argument (http://www.samueljohnson.com/argument.html); but I am not obliged to find you an understanding."

Definition of "oats": "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland appears to support the people."
Johnson: A Dictionary Of The English Language. (A selection of definitions can be found here (http://www.samueljohnson.com/definitions.html).)

...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney' (http://www.samueljohnson.com/law.html).
"Exercise!! (http://www.samueljohnson.com/exercise.html) I never heard that he used any: he might, for aught I know, walk to the alehouse (http://www.samueljohnson.com/drinking.html); but I believe he was always carried home again."
Piozzi: Anecdotes

Stavros
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
"A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two is never quite sure."
- Confucius

I was puzzled by this quote because Confucius would not have known what a watch is, so I Googled it but it seems to be someone called Lee Segall -American advertising guru or something like that?

Jennifer_English
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

~ Jules

HbgDon
04-11-2011, 01:13 PM
“Never lie to someone who trusts you. Never trust someone who lies to you.” - Dexter Morgan

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Bruce Wayne

iamdrgonzo
04-11-2011, 01:18 PM
"But how is this legal plunder to be identified? Quite simply. See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them and gives it to the other persons to whom it doesn't belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without committing a crime. Then abolish that law without delay ... No legal plunder; this is the principle of justice, peace, order, stability, harmony and logic." ~ Frederic Bastiat

iamdrgonzo
04-12-2011, 05:24 PM
"The only things that government makes – as I've said before – is criminals out of innocent people, and corpses out of living human beings."

~ William Norman Grigg

Prospero
04-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Turn on, Tune In, Drop Out

Timothy Leary

Johnny O
04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
No tickee...NO laundry!
Jack Nicholson as Frank Costello in The Departed.

toopretty
04-13-2011, 06:01 AM
everybodys got a plan until they get hit in the mouth - Mike Tyson

robertlouis
04-13-2011, 06:16 AM
On over-indulgence with

"Much may be made of a Scotchman (http://www.samueljohnson.com/scotland.html), if he be caught young."

Definition of "oats": "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland appears to support the people."
Johnson: A Dictionary Of The English Language. (A selection of definitions can be found here (http://www.samueljohnson.com/definitions.html).)

Piozzi: Anecdotes

Fuck him, English git.

"An honest man's the noblest work of God"

- Robert Burns

bubbski
04-13-2011, 11:24 PM
"Don't ever write a check with your mouth you can't cash with your ass."
- Wiseman in "Sucker Punch"

“All generalizations are false, including this one. (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/all_generalizations_are_false-including_this_one/216596.html)”
- Mark Twain

Cuchulain
04-13-2011, 11:56 PM
"Stealing is when you take a piece of bread from a hungry child, even if you own that bread. The rest is mere law."
--- Kilroy's Street Bible

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
-- Robert E. Howard (1906-1936)
Creator of Conan The Barbarian

"Congress passes laws to help the country become better than it was -- if that's possible. It will listen to everybody, but at the end of the day, its members will vote their consciences -- and whoever promises to give them the most money for their next reelection campaign."
--- Art Buchwald

“I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives.”
-- Molly Ivins
(1944-2007)

"If any question why we died,
Tell them, because our fathers lied."
-- Rudyard Kipling
“Epitaphs of the War” (1914-1918)

Caff_Racer
04-14-2011, 12:36 AM
"This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise;
This fortress, built by nature for herself,
Against infection, and the hand of war;
This happy breed of men, this little world;
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands;
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England..." From John of Gaunt's monologue in Shakespeare's "Life & Death of King Richard II", Act II, Scene II

Caff_Racer
04-14-2011, 01:03 AM
From 0:49 onwards

YouTube - Cyrano de Bergerac avec sous-titres français-Ballade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-poxxofku98)

Skunch
04-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

- Groucho Marx

partlycloudy
04-14-2011, 03:24 AM
never trust a tranny - truebeauty ts

JoShe
04-14-2011, 04:09 AM
I was being facietious by attributing it to Confucius. No, he wouldn't have known about watches, as wise as he was.

Prospero
04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Great stuff Caff Racer (A1 cafe ? doing the ton?)

I'd love to post the whole of King Lear but will let this suffice

"Like flies to wanton boys are we to the Gods. They kill us for their sport."

iamdrgonzo
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
“The first panacea for a mismanaged nation, is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists.” ~ Ernest Hemingway

sexyshana
04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
"I'm not fat, I just retain semen."

...A shemale friend.

scubaman
04-14-2011, 11:19 PM
"I'm not fat, I just retain semen."

...A shemale friend.

lmfao

luvem
04-15-2011, 04:36 AM
As seen recently on a poster:

"God is dead". Nietszche
"Nietszche is dead". God

theone1982
04-15-2011, 04:42 AM
"I've won the world title more times than you've had pieces of ass!" -Ric Flair:)

southern81
04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.---John Adams (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/johnadams169381.html)

Prospero
04-15-2011, 07:11 PM
"The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
J B Yeats

Stavros
04-16-2011, 12:47 AM
'The trees encountered on a country stroll
reveal a lot about that country's soul'
-WH Auden

'History opposes its grief to our buoyant song,
to our hope its warning'
-WH Auden

Caff_Racer
04-16-2011, 01:01 AM
"When we do right, nobody remembers. When we do wrong, nobody forgets." Sonny Barger, founder of the Oakland, CA chapter of the Hell's Angels MC - the greatest motorcycle club in the world

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3624/3403879919_2d829c9158.jpg

iamdrgonzo
04-16-2011, 03:20 PM
"What this country needs are more unemployed politicians." ~ Edward Langley

Prospero
04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
WHEN you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;

And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.

Yeats

Stavros
04-16-2011, 05:57 PM
'In nature, light creates the colour: in the picure, colour creates the light'
-Hans Hoffman, artist (1880-1966)

iamdrgonzo
04-16-2011, 07:09 PM
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

~ Dr. Ferris, a bureaucratic parasite, explains the governing principle of “soft totalitarianism” to industrialist Hank Rearden in Atlas Shrugged

envivision
04-16-2011, 07:15 PM
'Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not?'

One of the kennedies brothers.

Prospero
04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
He was quoting the great George Bernard Shaw

"Some people see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not?"
George Bernard Shaw

Prospero
04-16-2011, 07:29 PM
I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.

J B S Haldane

Jericho
04-16-2011, 08:00 PM
"Fuck me, where'd all these Indians come from"!
::: George Armstrong Custer

iamdrgonzo
04-16-2011, 09:29 PM
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country" ~ Edward Bernays, 1928

sexyshana
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go.

Anais Nin.

Deimos
04-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Adult entertainment isn't killing children, killing children is entertaining adults.

Marilyn Manson

iamdrgonzo
04-19-2011, 01:29 PM
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky

Stavros
04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
'If you can't get real Indians, use Hungarians'
-Sam Goldwyn

Prospero
04-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Censorship is the mother of metaphor
Jorge Luis Borges

iamdrgonzo
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
"The people will believe what the media tells them they believe."
~ George Orwell

Stavros
04-19-2011, 05:02 PM
'You know how to whistle, don't you Mr Marlowe? You just put your lips together...and blow...'
-The Big Sleep

iamdrgonzo
04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
"Where's the beef?" ~ Clara Peller

Prospero
04-19-2011, 07:28 PM
What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells;
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs, –
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.
What candles may be held to speed them all?
Not in the hands of boys but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmers of goodbyes.
The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.

Wilfred Owen

iamdrgonzo
04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
"A thunderclap under the clear blue sky
All beings on earth open their eyes;
Everything under heaven bows together;
Mount Sumeru leaps up and dances."

~ Wumen Hui-k'ai

Prospero
04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix"

Alan Ginsberg

iamdrgonzo
04-19-2011, 07:44 PM
"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

~ William of Ockham?

Prospero
04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing.

Blaise Pascal

iamdrgonzo
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
"The average life span of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years progressing from "bondage to spiritual faith ... to great courage ... to liberty ... to abundance ... to selfishness ... to complacency ... to apathy ... to dependence and ... back into bondage" ~ Alexander Fraser Tytler

iamdrgonzo
04-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Laverty Beria, who famously declared:

"Show me the man, and I will find you the crime."

Stavros
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
'My father rode a camel, I drive a car. My son flies a jet aeroplane; his son will ride a camel'
Saudi Proverb c1982

iamdrgonzo
04-20-2011, 09:17 PM
"Fie on you, Hansen, Mann, Jones et al! You are not worthy of the name scientists! May the pox consume your shrivelled peterkins!" ~ Isaac Newton

iamdrgonzo
04-21-2011, 07:08 PM
"There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion." ~ Lord Acton

iamdrgonzo
04-23-2011, 10:40 PM
"How does it become a man to behave toward this American government to-day? I answer that he cannot without disgrace be associated with it." ~ Thoreau

loren
04-24-2011, 05:59 AM
"To each of us falls a task, and all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand the line, and we die fighting. It's what we do best, we die standing." General Sturnn

iamdrgonzo
04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
"The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today is my own government ... for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent." ~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., speaking at Riverside Church April 4, 1967

Yvonne183
04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Th Th Th Th Th Th That's all Folks- Porky Pig

BigDF
04-24-2011, 08:53 PM
"What's up Doc?" Bugs Bunny

iamdrgonzo
04-25-2011, 11:27 AM
"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will." ~ Frederick Douglass, 1857

The Piper
04-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Today,blind faith in our politicians,will get you killed.

Bruce Springsteen.Roundhey Park,Leeds.1985.

loren
04-26-2011, 06:32 AM
I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers, you can be good citizens. Obey the laws, preserve your honor, and the Government to which you have surrendered can afford to be, and will be, magnanimous. - Lt. Gen. Forrest

iamdrgonzo
04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." ~ Mayer Amschel Rothschild

TSLoverIB
04-27-2011, 05:11 AM
say hello to my little friend, lol

iamdrgonzo
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
"The two parties have combined against us to nullify our power by a 'gentleman's agreement' of non-recognition, no matter how we vote ... May God write us down as asses if ever again we are found putting our trust in either the Republican or the Democratic Parties." ~ W.E.B. DuBois, 1922

NRT
04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
"In America we have socialism for the rich and free enterprise for the poor" MLK

Prospero
04-27-2011, 01:57 PM
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
Ludwig Wittgenstein

NRT
04-27-2011, 01:58 PM
"I tussled with an aligator
wrestled with a whale
handcupped to lightning
and threw thunder in jail

I murdered a rock
hospitalised a brick
Im so bad I make medicine sick"

==========================
"If he even dreamed of beating me, he would have to wake up and apologise"

Muhammad Ali

NRT
04-27-2011, 02:02 PM
I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races; that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people...
And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together
there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1858

NRT
04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
row row row the boat gently down the stream
if you see a crocodile dont forget to scream

Nivek
04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
"We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and -- in spite of True Romance magazines -- we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness."
— Hunter S. Thompson (The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman 1955-67)

iamdrgonzo
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
"To be ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child always." ~ Cicero

johnnieev
04-28-2011, 01:17 PM
When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends. (Japanese Proverb)

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load. (Paul "Bear" Bryant)

Stavros
04-28-2011, 04:05 PM
"I may not know much, but I do know the difference between chicken shit and chicken salad"
-LBJ, when asked why he had not replied to a speech by then-Vice President Nixon. Quoted in Merle Miller, Lyndon, An Oral Biography (1980), p. 542

Prospero
04-28-2011, 04:10 PM
"You can lead a whore to water, but you can't make her think."
Dorothy parker

underdawg
04-28-2011, 10:40 PM
"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it."
- Marilyn Monroe

iamdrgonzo
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination." ~ Mark Twain

spunktrumpet
04-29-2011, 10:10 PM
The Queens advice to Kate Middleton on how to maintain a Healthy Marriage;

"Always wear your seatbelt and don't fuck me around"

iamdrgonzo
04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
"They have plundered the world, stripping naked the land in their hunger… they are driven by greed, if their enemy be rich; by ambition, if poor… They ravage, they slaughter, they seize by false pretenses, and all of this they hail as the construction of empire. And when in their wake nothing remains but a desert, they call that peace."
~ Tacitus

ILuvGurls
04-30-2011, 02:09 PM
" 'Light fuse and get away' may work for a Roman candle, but not so much for the wrath of a woman scorned." (Jeph Jacques)

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." (Unknown)

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." (Mae West)

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people." (G. K. Chesterton )

"We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know." (WH Auden)

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." (Oscar Levant)

envivision
04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
I like boys now
(Ralph Wiggum)

Jericho
04-30-2011, 04:10 PM
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
:: Adolf Hitler

theone1982
05-01-2011, 10:14 AM
"Virtue has never been as respectable as money."-Mark Twain

iamdrgonzo
05-01-2011, 01:22 PM
"Some men rob you with a six gun. Some do it with a fountain pen."
~ Woody Guthrie, from The Ballad of Pretty Boy Floyd

Willie Escalade
05-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Someone said this on Twitter:"While Trump was looking for a birth certificate.....Obama went and found a death certificate..."

south ov da border
05-02-2011, 06:52 AM
"I'm just too big, I'm too rich and I'm too tan for anybody around here" Hollywood Hogan...

iamdrgonzo
05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
"[They] were not fighting this perpetual war for victory, they were fighting to keep a state of emergency always present as the surest guarantee of authoritarianism."
~ George Orwell, from his novel 1984

Prospero
05-02-2011, 12:47 PM
"[They] were not fighting this perpetual war for victory, they were fighting to keep a state of emergency always present as the surest guarantee of authoritarianism."
~ George Orwell, from his novel 1984

Indeed... the war on terror will continue despite Osama's death

iamdrgonzo
05-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Indeed... the war on terror will continue despite Osama's death

Un-fucking-fortunately, it is simply too easy for people believe the propaganda and not examine the evidence or the lack thereof.

iamdrgonzo
05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” ~ Joseph Goebbels

iamdrgonzo
05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
“Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” ~ Hermann Goering, at the Nuremberg Trials

theone1982
05-04-2011, 01:49 AM
“Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law” -Aleister Crowley

envivision
05-04-2011, 04:12 AM
"When people look at you, they see who they want to be. When people look at me, they see who they are".

Richard M. Nixon, addressing a portrait of JFK.

Paulistano
05-04-2011, 04:14 AM
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie".

loren
05-04-2011, 06:10 AM
"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!" Captian (Major) Lloyd Williams

LittleGuy
05-04-2011, 06:18 AM
"We got him" - President Obama

maaarc
05-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Little Bill Daggett:
Look son, being a good shot, being quick with a pistol, that don't do no harm, but it don't mean much next to being cool-headed. A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya. It ain't so easy to shoot a man anyhow, especially if the son-of-a-bitch is shootin' back at you.

loren
05-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Little Bill Daggett (http://www.hungangels.com/name/nm0000432/): You'd be William Munny out of Missouri. Killer of women and children.
Will Munny (http://www.hungangels.com/name/nm0000142/): That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

NRT
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I had no luck at all untill i started having bad luck

Prospero
05-04-2011, 05:18 PM
"Been down so long it feels like up to me"
Old blues line stolen as title for Richard Farina's autobiography (I think)

Prospero
05-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't want to become immortal through my art. I want to be immortal by not dying.
Woody Allen

Prospero
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
"Don't knock masturbation. it's sex with someone you love."
Woody Allen

iamdrgonzo
05-04-2011, 05:30 PM
"We too often bind ourselves by authorities rather than by the truth." ~ Lucretia Mott

partlycloudy
05-04-2011, 08:22 PM
everyday is repost day - ?

iamdrgonzo
05-05-2011, 12:12 PM
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

CORVETTEDUDE
05-05-2011, 08:30 PM
"Do the Deed." Navy SEALs

Ben
05-06-2011, 02:11 AM
YouTube - Scarface - Say Hello To My Little Friend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQ8byG2mY8&NR=1)

rover187
05-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Pressure makes diamonds...

maaarc
05-06-2011, 05:01 AM
"Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything."

-- G.K. Chesterton

iamdrgonzo
05-06-2011, 11:51 AM
“Now thou art come unto a feast of death.” ~ Shakespeare, 1 Henry VI 4.5.7

Prospero
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Arbeit Mach Frei

Fitz1600
05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Caiaphas

johnnieev
05-06-2011, 02:01 PM
"....that others may live." USAF PJ motto

plankton
05-06-2011, 02:35 PM
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies"- Robert E Lee

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin franklin
(http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin)

Stavros
05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
'Anatomy is destiny'
-Sigmund Freud

iamdrgonzo
05-07-2011, 01:00 PM
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." ~ Mark Twain

hippifried
05-07-2011, 07:52 PM
"Hey man. you might think I'm really fucked up, but I'm only 17 cents short of being righteously fucked up like I should be,"

~drunk in front of the 7/11~

( I gave him a quarter.)

iamdrgonzo
05-09-2011, 12:31 PM
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value--zero." ~ Voltaire

Prospero
05-09-2011, 02:09 PM
"Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position. But certainty is an absurd one." Voltaire.

Prospero
05-09-2011, 02:12 PM
The unexamined life is not worth living for a human being.
Socrates

Prospero
05-09-2011, 02:22 PM
"We travel not for trafficking alone:
By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned:
For lust of knowing what should not be known
We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand"
James Elroy Flecker

Stavros
05-09-2011, 09:49 PM
"Hey man. you might think I'm really fucked up, but I'm only 17 cents short of being righteously fucked up like I should be,"

~drunk in front of the 7/11~

( I gave him a quarter.)

Love this Hippifried, but what I can't get is the 17 cents...is this something only an American would understand?

Stavros
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM
'To imagine a language means to imagine a form of life'
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

iamdrgonzo
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" ~ Samuel Adams

Jericho
05-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Don't be humble, you're not that great!
::Anon

iamdrgonzo
05-11-2011, 11:54 AM
"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
~ Alexander Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, Volume I

Prospero
05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Martin Niemoller

iamdrgonzo
05-12-2011, 04:54 PM
“The real act of discovery consists not in finding new lands but in seeing with new eyes.” ~ Marcel Proust

Stavros
05-12-2011, 05:40 PM
" von herz moge es wieder zu herzen gehen'
(From the heart may it go to the heart)
-Ludwig van Beethoven

iamdrgonzo
05-13-2011, 12:03 PM
"Better to dwell in freedom's hall, with a cold damp floor and mouldering wall, than bow the head and bend the knee in the proudest palace of slaverie."
~ Thomas Moore

davidjordan
05-13-2011, 08:19 PM
It's cool, it's cool, it's gotta be cool. If it wasn't cool, it wouldn't be groovy. And everything's groovy, so it's gotta be cool.

- "Spacey" Stacey Osborne

Prospero
05-13-2011, 08:37 PM
There are holes in the sky
where the rain gets in
but they're ever so small
so the rain is thin

spike milligan

hippifried
05-14-2011, 01:27 AM
"Hey dude, can you hold this burrito for a minute?"

~ Ted Bundy's executioner ~

Ben
05-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Anything & everythin' from that musclebound dude Arnie Schwarzenegger:

YouTube - 160 Greatest Arnold Schwarzenegger Quotes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0Xfqkgw)

mikelpo
05-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Gigetty - quagmire (family guy)

southern81
05-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Jor-El (http://www.hungangels.com/name/nm0000008/): Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son.

robertlouis
05-14-2011, 04:42 AM
Neil Young, talking about the impact his only career No 1, Heart of Gold, almost had: "This song put me in the middle of the road. Travelling there soon became a bore so I headed for the ditch. A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there."

Prospero
05-14-2011, 08:54 AM
We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Oscar wilde

robertlouis
05-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Are you looking at me?

Travis Bickle. Taxi Driver has just had a welcome limited new print release in UK cinemas. I hope to see it in Cambridge this week. One of the greatest movies of that surprisingly fecund decade for Hollywood, the 1970s.

iamdrgonzo
05-14-2011, 01:22 PM
“The poorest man in his cottage may bid defiance to all the force of the crown. It may be frail—its roof may shake—the wind may blow through it—the storm may enter—but the king of England cannot enter. All his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement.”

~ William Pitt

iamdrgonzo
05-15-2011, 05:40 PM
"Where there is a stink of shit there is a smell of being" ~ Antonin Artaud

Prospero
05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.
Samuel Beckett

Prospero
05-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Art is a lie that brings us nearer to the truth
Pablo Picasso

iamdrgonzo
05-16-2011, 12:14 PM
"The typical lawmaker of today is a man wholly devoid of principle — a mere counter in a grotesque and knavish game. If the right pressure could be applied to him, he would be cheerfully in favor of polygamy, astrology or cannibalism."
~ H.L. Mencken

iamdrgonzo
05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
"None but ourselves can free our minds." ~ Bob Marley

cockgobbler
05-17-2011, 05:53 PM
"What am I thinking about? If I wanted you to know, I'd be talking."

Al Bundy, Married with Children.

nottech
05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
the world great quote that is not famous yet is " its time you change back into a man"

iamdrgonzo
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
"I would rather be mad with the truth than sane with lies." ~ Bertrand Russel