PDA

View Full Version : io9.com's list of 25 classic sci-fi films (& 20 TV shows) that everyone should watch.

Legend
08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
25 classic sci-fi films that everyone should watch
http://io9.com/5619137/25-classic-science-fiction-movies-that-everybody-must-watch

20 classic sci-fi TV shows everyone should watch
http://io9.com/5622910/the-top-20-essential-science-fiction-tv-shows

In the tv show list i think the tick should be replaced with lexx though everything else is spot on.

south ov da border
08-27-2010, 07:42 PM
good lists right here...

JoePitt
08-28-2010, 06:54 AM
I'd watch Brisco County Jr. over half the TV series mentioned. Also, Galaxy Quest & The Dark Knight have to be on any best of movie list.

BellaBellucci
08-28-2010, 07:42 AM
I'd watch Brisco County Jr. over half the TV series mentioned. Also, Galaxy Quest & The Dark Knight have to be on any best of movie list.

Galaxy Quest was almost on it, according to the author. The Dark Knight, while a great movie, IMHO wasn't as good as Batman Begins in terms of depth, and of course Heath Ledger stole the show. But the most important thing about Batman being excluded is that it's hard to make a case that's it's true science fiction, a few technological marvels aside.

~BB~

Legend
08-28-2010, 04:52 PM
How could i have forgetten highlander the series it should have definitely be on the tv shows list.I remember watching brisco county jr but i liked it for the western setting and the characters i didn't care for the orb stuff.

JoePitt
08-28-2010, 09:00 PM
How could i have forgetten highlander the series it should have definitely be on the tv shows list.I remember watching brisco county jr but i liked it for the western setting and the characters i didn't care for the orb stuff.

The orb was a MacGuffin. Bruce Campbell is a god and it the acting & writing were what I loved about the show. It sucks that they didn't get a second year when it looked like they were going in a Wild, Wild West direction. I'm talking about the TV series not the execrable movie.

JoePitt
08-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Galaxy Quest was almost on it, according to the author. The Dark Knight, while a great movie, IMHO wasn't as good as Batman Begins in terms of depth, and of course Heath Ledger stole the show. But the most important thing about Batman being excluded is that it's hard to make a case that's it's true science fiction, a few technological marvels aside.

~BB~

I know and Brisco was mentioned in the comments section. It's a good list. I was just giving my opinion. I have to disagree with you on two points though. I liked almost everything better in DK over BB and Dark Knight is a superhero movie so by definition is science fiction. What about Children of Men is so science fiction-y?

Back to Batman. Just about everything in his mythos is SF. He's a spoiled billionaire who fights crime. It'd be like finding out Paris Hilton was a vigilante. His batsuit, belt, car, pod, computer are all SF. Finally, the is no such thing as "true science fiction". It's big enough to envelop any subgenre. It doesn't have to take place inside a computer or deep space to qualify.

russtafa
08-29-2010, 03:26 AM
pigs in space?