PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for retirement?

bat1
07-25-2010, 06:57 AM
One day we will all get old. So you ever think about retirement? are you
putting money away for the future? time fly's after age 30

LAGent4ts
07-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Have pension, 401k, and some income property. I'm getting ready for a little road trip to Costa Rica, Recife in Brazil, Philippines and Thailand to investigate where to land for retirement. Have some friends in each location who all tell me how wonderful life is as an X pat.

I get my SS statement once a year from Uncle Sam and know that the well will be dry when I'm ready to collect.

Maybe if those politocs in washington were forced to roll their fat gov't pensions into SS and retire like people who actually work for a living, the future would not be so dim here. And they have the nerve to call themselves our representatives! Rat Bastrds represent themselves!

sugdaddie69
07-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Chill..and keep a young TS on my retirement plan......

peggygee
07-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Saving, investing, and looking in to expat options and a place with a lower
cost of living.

However, I love my occupation and would most likely continue doing it as
long as I was physically and mentally able to.

BeardedOne
07-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Gotta love the TSP. Sadly, I am hitting that as a rescue option of ongoing financial issues. Still, there is sufficient to fill the gaps when the time comes.

I just hope that I will live that long.

El_hefe
07-26-2010, 07:27 AM
You know, it's all about the compounding interest with your $$$$. If you put away $2000 a year from age 21-31 in a balanced portfolio, & never save another dime..... you'll be a millionaire around 65 yo.

Caff_Racer
07-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I'll probably be roadkill before I reach retirement age, so I'm not too concerned: what money I have I spend - after all, when I croak it'll be of fuck all use to me!

On a less sombre note, my job is one that I can do for as long as I am compos mentis (after that, one becomes compost, full stop :lol: ), and by its nature (I'm a freelance translator - if anybody is interested don't hesitate in dropping me a pm ;-) ) it will keep me compos for quite a while. So retirement is not something that will ever happen to me, lol!

flabbybody
07-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Just about everyone's 401(K) investment choices have stock market exposure. The old adage of an annual 10% return on equities fell apart badly in the decade just ended. This has thrown a serious monkey wrench in retirement schedules and I can personally attest to that. People have to work longer and spend less.

I guess it's all for the good... can't stand golf

bat1
07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I love Golf, and trading Stocks

hwbs
07-26-2010, 08:47 PM
when i open up my s/s statement every year it has one of those e card things that gives off a joker laugh , lmfao

bat1
07-26-2010, 09:23 PM
when i open up my s/s statement every year it has one of those e card things that gives off a joker laugh , lmfao

lol....Wonder if it will be there in 15 yrs for me:confused:

JoePitt
07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Pension, 457(b) & a couple of stocks I bought myself. I can even retire in 8 years when I turn 50.

cyber
07-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm already there!