PDA

View Full Version : Would You Take A Bullet?

InHouston
11-14-2005, 10:02 PM
You don't have to. The secret service agents who surround the president at all times are trained to listen for the direction of the gun being fired, and position themselves in front of it. Yes, they are trained and required to take the bullet. You can see that actually happening when Roland Reagan was shot. As he's approaching the limo, and the shots ring out, you'll see an agent thats directly in front of him, turn around, face the incoming bullets while blocking the president, and take one right in the stomach.

To answer your question as to would I? Nope.

kennbo
11-15-2005, 01:53 AM
u need therapy..u would take a bullet for someone????

I see that altruism is dead. I can understand not taking a bullet for certain persons whom you might find unworthy of such a sacrafice, but what about running into a burning building to save a child to whom you are unrelated? Or jumping in front of a bus to push an unknown child to safety? Saving your own child, or relative, barely qualifies as being altruistic because you have something to gain by that action.
As far as taking a bullet for a politician goes, that would depend. I would do so as long as he/she wasn't a total shithead, i.e GHWB.[/quote]

Dkg
11-15-2005, 02:00 AM
Actually, doing anything for anyone other than yourself is considered as Alturism, not just for people you don't know, family included

Alturism is basically when you preform an action that will give benefit to another and be non beneficial for you or even detrimental.

I should know since I'm currently taking an evolutionary cousre at the university, besides I'm a bio major so I knew anyway

MacShreach
11-15-2005, 02:01 AM
If you found yourself talking to a President / Prime Minister / Whatever and some psycho pulled a gun, would you jump in front of the target?

No. Not ever. I'd be on the deck with my hands over my head. Fuck 'em. They wanted the fame.

BlackAdder
11-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Yeah, Serious...they knew the risks when they took that job.
Theres only ever been one person that Id take a bullet for, and it certainly isnt any politician.

kennbo
11-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Actually, altruism has multiple definitions. Dictionary dot com lists 1)Unselfish concern for the welfare of others,selflessness and 2)ZoologyInstinctive cooperative behavior that is detrimental to the individual but contributes to the survival of the species. I have degrees in Psychology/Philosophy w/ a concentration in Biology. Trust me, altruism is more than just the secondary, zoological definition, when pondered in a philosophical context.

hondarobot
11-15-2005, 02:29 AM
It depends on lots of factors. If I was 100 years old, pushing my walker next to the motorcade and the bullets started flying, depending on who was president, I just might jump (or, you know, shamble or whatever) into the path just to avoid the nightmare of wearing Depends Undergarments and lugging around oxygen tanks.

But at this point in life, there's not too many people I would take a bullet for.

chefmike
11-15-2005, 03:05 AM
take a bullet... only for family or a loved one...

but under the right circumstances...

I can think of a few people...that I would push in front of a bullet... :wink:

Legend
11-15-2005, 03:09 AM
take a bullet... only for family or a loved one...

but under the right circumstances...

I can think of a few people...that I would push in front of a bullet... :wink:

co-signed

GroobySteven
11-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Yep - I'd take one for my girlfriend, I'd take one for my friend but take one for a politician I've never met? No thanks.

seanchai

Legend
11-15-2005, 03:18 AM
how beautiful was reading chefs post then immediately seeing legend follow;)

What i do this time?

chefmike
11-15-2005, 03:20 AM
how beautiful was reading chefs post then immediately seeing legend follow;)

Gee, thanks, J...I'm a little concerned myself...

Legend
11-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Oh i get it, why man?

lmw222001
11-15-2005, 04:29 AM
I'd Take A Bullet For Gia Or Allanah........ :D

Shandus
11-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Daughter, Wife, Mother, Father, Sister. That's who I would take a bullet for. I've taken bullets before. It's not pleasant.

A politican getting shot? Tough shit. Die, you corrupt bastards.

Quinn
11-15-2005, 06:29 AM
I've taken bullets before. It's not pleasant.

You, too. I actually have a pic I took for a friend that I’ll try and post. It's a little fuzzy, but you should be able to make out the wound on my wrist. Check out the shitty patch up job. For those who know your firearms, you'll probably even be able to guess the caliber. Who in the hell gets shot in the wrist anyway?

-Quinn

LG
11-15-2005, 09:49 AM
There's not one politician in the world I'd take a bullet for. Why? Are they better than me? Most of them are dishonest, corrupt, perverted scum-sucking asswipes, who wouldn't know the truth if it slapped them in the face. Maybe I would've taken the bullet for Bobby Kennedy if I were around then, but that's all.

I'd take a bullet for something like eight or nine people only, very close friends and very close family. That's it. No one else.

GroobySteven
11-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Who would you give a kidney for?
(anyone whose seen Curb your Enthusiasm knows where I'm getting this question from).
How close would you have to be to them?
seanchai

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-15-2005, 10:01 AM
OMG. Seanchai..Thats a BIG avatar! LOL.

But to answer the topic of this thread. No. I wouldnt take a bullet for anyone..not even a loved one. Id maybe push them down but not take a bullet. I have witnessed a guy who got shot 10 feet away from me at a mall. Thats something I personally wouldnt wanna experience again. Top that I had a TS friend who's a loud mouth and at one time we all went out for halloween and she wasnt even drunk yelled and cursed a guy out. The guy pulled a gun and stick it in her face. It was frightening but we managed to calm the guy down. Thankgod!

Its quite easy to say, sure Id take a bullet for a loved one. Then again, when the situation arises..youll stand there completely frozen/immobile. Not to mention, growing up..I get uncomfortable around with guns since my Dad has a few for personal reasons (He has a license to carry one). So does my Brother, my Aunt. They're all fond going to shooting ranges and stuffs.

~Kisses.

HTG

McRen
11-15-2005, 10:58 AM
take a bullet for a loved one? i think so.

take a bullet for a politician? no

Dkg
11-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Actually, altruism has multiple definitions. Dictionary dot com lists 1)Unselfish concern for the welfare of others,selflessness and 2)ZoologyInstinctive cooperative behavior that is detrimental to the individual but contributes to the survival of the species. I have degrees in Psychology/Philosophy w/ a concentration in Biology. Trust me, altruism is more than just the secondary, zoological definition, when pondered in a philosophical context.

Yea, that's right and I agree, but I still don't agree with your 1st post. and actually, alturism itself is kinda selfish as most species that are alturistic usually only are towards close kin. Some will do it for non relatifves but most will do it for closely related individuals as it helps ensure that their genes will live on.

dreamer
11-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Alturism ---a new word for me --selfless (been called this) --selfishless...ness ---kinda like when I find a tails up penny ---I flippy and leave alone ---next fool can have the luck I missed out on

take a bullet? --ummm --I dunno ---