PDA

View Full Version : X3 vs. Fantastic 4 (II) vs. Spiderman 3 vs. Newest Superman

A_Thug_Fessional
11-12-2005, 03:47 AM
which one will win the box offic battle next year?

Personally i'm looking forward to the newest superman flick...I haven't even seen fantastic 4 yet, the X-men movies were okay but lacked character development and the spiderman movies lacked edge.

I guess that's what I liked the Hulk movie so much, it sort of seemed like a real comic. Dark, moody, twisted since of humor.

I suppose i'm letting my 'nerd' slip out of the bag. Which movies are you checking for?

Oh yeah, I heard they are making another Underworld, that shit should rock!

Legend
11-12-2005, 04:13 AM
Probably Spider man 3,X-3 wont have gambit and f4 probably will be awful like the first one. Superman just doesn't look all that good!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-12-2005, 04:14 AM
link me the superman site

Ecstatic
11-12-2005, 04:15 AM
I look forward to all four. The original Superman with Christopher Reeve (well, the real original was Superman and the Mole Men from 1951, which introduced George Reeves) is still the touchstone for superhero movies in many ways. I do look forward to the new Superman, but it's so easy to the character badly (as with the 3rd and 4th Reeve movies, whereas the 2nd was nearly as good as the first).

X2 was better than the X-men, and I thought they set up Phoenix very nicely, so I'm looking forward to that one a lot. But you're right; with that many characters crawling about, it's hard to get to any real character development.

FF was better than many say, but still tortured in places, so I have lower expectations there. I liked Jessica Alba's Sue Storm, Chris Evans' Torch, and Michael Chiklis' Thing, but Gruffudd played Reed so flat he was boring. I didn't like the changes in Dr Doom's character, but I liked the way Julian McMahon played him.

Spidey, Spidey, Spidey...my niece is a physicist, and we had a good laugh over how to extinguish a runaway fission reaction by dunking it in the East River, lol. But otherwise it was a far better movie than the first.

So I'm willing to give them all a chance.

Legend
11-12-2005, 04:19 AM
http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film.php?482

brickcitybrother
11-12-2005, 04:40 AM
X-Men 3 will rock. My opinion based on early script read (though I only was allowed to leaf through what I understand was one of two seperate drafts) this is going to be a great movie. Though I am disappointed by the lack of adherence to the original marvel storyline.

Ecstatic
11-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Well, bcb, you know they never adhere to the original storyline. Directors always think they can improve on it. But good to hear the early thumbs up. How'd you get an early look at the script?

BTW, the best treatment of the Xmen since those halcyon days of Claremont and Bryne are happening now with Whedon's Astonishing X-men. Have you checked it out?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-12-2005, 04:47 AM
I don't like who they got to play Kal El
therefore this movie will suck

brickcitybrother
11-12-2005, 05:26 AM
Well, bcb, you know they never adhere to the original storyline. Directors always think they can improve on it. But good to hear the early thumbs up. How'd you get an early look at the script?

BTW, the best treatment of the Xmen since those halcyon days of Claremont and Bryne are happening now with Whedon's Astonishing X-men. Have you checked it out?

Ecstatic to be honest ... I can't get back into it. I was out, traveled and worked. Then came graduate school and one day visiting a local comic shop. Picked up a few titles out of curiousity and the next thing I'm 3k into getting every missed issue of every title I used to collect. So I am careful not to go back - plus I don't think it'll be the way it was. Come on.. Claremont and Bryne were the best. I would like someone to talk me out of the awe I still feel when I think of "Days of Future Passed" Mentioning the "Dark Phoenix Saga" goes without explanation. How about the first time Wolverine was allowed to do 'what he does best' in his first encounter with the Hellfire Club.

I could go on and on. lol. As for the peek... a lucky perk of my employment and contacts.

brickcitybrother
11-12-2005, 05:34 AM
Those were the days

brickcitybrother
11-12-2005, 05:36 AM
one more - technically outside the scope - but still one of the best

Ecstatic
11-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Yep, comics were comics then. I know what you mean: I've been in and out of comics for so very long. My first comics were Superman and Superboy comics back in '57, followed by the emergence of the Silver Age with the Julie Schwartz titles (Showcase, Flash, Green Lantern, Strange Adventures, Atom, JLA), then the breakthrough of Marvel in the early 60s (started with FF #2, Spidey, Avengers, X-Men #1's, etc.), and read them through high school. Gave them up. Got back into them about 9 years later in college. Gave up superhero comics, but kept reading the more adult (not XXX-rated!) titles like Cerebus and DC's Vertigo lineup through the 90s. Recently started buying back into superhero comics for relaxation and the fact that the production quality is so high now, and the Vertigo line has been slipping.

You should give Whedon's X-Men a go, it's every bit as well written as the best of Claremont's and you don't need to read the 37 different X-titles published every month to keep up: just one comic, which has been out for about a year now.

TheGuard
11-12-2005, 07:07 AM
You should give Whedon's X-Men a go, it's every bit as well written as the best of Claremont's and you don't need to read the 37 different X-titles published every month to keep up: just one comic, which has been out for about a year now.

Whedon's good, but I'd suggest Grant Morrison's New X-Men first, since it's the best run the title has seen in a long time. Also, I'd hardly say Vertigo is slipping, Y, Fables, 100 Bullets. Promising new titles like Loveless and DMZ...

TheGuard
11-12-2005, 07:08 AM
You may not like Routh, but I promise you this will be one of the highest grossing movies of '06, and personally I couldn't be more excited about it, Singer is a wonderful filmmaker.
http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/

Legend
11-12-2005, 07:16 AM
You may not like Routh, but I promise you this will be one of the highest grossing movies of '06, and personally I couldn't be more excited about it, Singer is a wonderful filmmaker.
http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/

Ha i bet it wont be!

Big Booty Shemale Lover
11-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Probably Spider man 3,X-3 wont have gambit and f4 probably will be awful like the first one. Superman just doesn't look all that good!

I agree it will probably be Spidey 3, but I disagree about F4 being awful. I think that it could have been better, but awful is too strong of a word for that flick. When you think in terms of Marvel and DC crossovers, when it comes to movies, most hardcore comic fans can't be pleased. They always find something wrong or find negatives in the way the production is implemented.

I'm basically in favor of all hero movies which don't use an overwhelming amount of CGI for the main character, ala "Hulk".

la2bkk
11-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Bring those chumps on...

Legend
11-12-2005, 09:49 AM

I agree it will probably be Spidey 3, but I disagree about F4 being awful. I think that it could have been better, but awful is too strong of a word for that flick. When you think in terms of Marvel and DC crossovers, when it comes to movies, most hardcore comic fans can't be pleased. They always find something wrong or find negatives in the way the production is implemented.

I'm basically in favor of all hero movies which don't use an overwhelming amount of CGI for the main character, ala "Hulk".

Yeah hulk had too much cgi, they should have done like the classic hulk tv!

BeardedOne
11-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Isn't it all really just a game of Where's Stan Lee?

From hot dog vendor (X1) to mailman (F4) he really gets around. :D

A_Thug_Fessional
11-12-2005, 02:55 PM

I think in this day and age, a wrestler with green make up on won't cut it in terms of box office sucess. While I do think they could have tamed some of the CGI useage in the Hulk movie, the very nature and scope of the Hulk kind of warrants a serious degree of CGI useage. I mean, the guy has uncomparable strength, kind of hard to get that on a greenscreen with a guy in makeup.

A_Thug_Fessional
11-12-2005, 03:01 PM
If X-3 doesn't some how incorporate these characters, i'll be dissapointed.

Ecstatic
11-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Whedon's good, but I'd suggest Grant Morrison's New X-Men first, since it's the best run the title has seen in a long time. Also, I'd hardly say Vertigo is slipping, Y, Fables, 100 Bullets. Promising new titles like Loveless and DMZ...
Yah, Morrison's one of the best writers in comics, and certainly one of the most creative, right up there with Gaiman and Moore, one who incorporates elements of post modernism, magic realism, fantasy and science fiction into his comics. But he's less consistent and sloppier; when he takes care with a storyline and characters, he's brilliant, but sometimes he just spins off on strange tangents to no real purpose. Whedon's not as inventive as Morrison, but he's probably unmatched today for dialogue and character development with a minimum of exposition. So yeah, read both!

I love Fables, which is consistently one of the best titles published, and Willingham's best work ever (eclipsing his classic Elementals from the 80s). But I'm really not into Y, 100 Bullets, DMZ, etc. I prefer the Sandman/Shade/Lucifer/Hellblazer direction: fortunately two of those are still in production and going well (though my favorite Hellblazer is the Garth Ennis period). The current Books of Magic is intriguing, but the characters have moved too far from the original concept and the previous incarnation I thought was better. And don't talk to me about Swamp Thing...what a mess that title has turned into, given what Moore had done with it 20 years ago.

A_Thug: Colossus should be featured more centrally, but what does Silver Surfer have to do with the X-Men? He's not a mutant, not human, not an Earthling. And such a boring character! Nigh on all-powerful and always bemoaning his fate, feh.

A_Thug_Fessional
11-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Yah, Morrison's one of the best writers in comics, and certainly one of the most creative, right up there with Gaiman and Moore, one who incorporates elements of post modernism, magic realism, fantasy and science fiction into his comics. But he's less consistent and sloppier; when he takes care with a storyline and characters, he's brilliant, but sometimes he just spins off on strange tangents to no real purpose. Whedon's not as inventive as Morrison, but he's probably unmatched today for dialogue and character development with a minimum of exposition. So yeah, read both!

I love Fables, which is consistently one of the best titles published, and Willingham's best work ever (eclipsing his classic Elementals from the 80s). But I'm really not into Y, 100 Bullets, DMZ, etc. I prefer the Sandman/Shade/Lucifer/Hellblazer direction: fortunately two of those are still in production and going well (though my favorite Hellblazer is the Garth Ennis period). The current Books of Magic is intriguing, but the characters have moved too far from the original concept and the previous incarnation I thought was better. And don't talk to me about Swamp Thing...what a mess that title has turned into, given what Moore had done with it 20 years ago.

A_Thug: Colossus should be featured more centrally, but what does Silver Surfer have to do with the X-Men? He's not a mutant, not human, not an Earthling. And such a boring character! Nigh on all-powerful and always bemoaning his fate, feh.

Maybe he's doing a little bit of planet scouting for Galactus. This would unite the X-men and Magnetos guys against one common foe.

Scott098
11-12-2005, 07:24 PM
here's my nerd factor... Colussus is in the 2nd movie... small scene... he offers to help wolverine defend the mansion but logan tells him to protect the children instead!

zerrrr
11-12-2005, 08:04 PM
I am personally waiting for V for Vendetta.

http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

http://www.shadowgalaxy.net/Vendetta/

Hopefully they will stay close to the book in terms of the main storyline.

This reminds me to add something to my sig.

fishman33
11-13-2005, 02:29 AM
Colossus was in the second one and will be featured more prominently in the 3rd ( as will Kelsey Grammer as BEAST!)

Why would Green Lantern and the Silver Surfer be in X-3?

Shouldn't have Apocalypse in there either, unless they wanna do 2-3 movies just following the Age of Apocalyps arc- which would be totally awesome.

I've heard talk that Ryan Reynolds wants to do a Deadpool movie, that would be killer, IMO.

Overlord Abomination
11-13-2005, 04:50 AM
X3 Is gonna suck because X2 was terrible. A new superman may be good, Batman definently was. Fantastic 4 was horrible, I shit on that disc. Spiderman may be good.

So since Spiderman has a good track record I put my money on that movie.

BlackAdder
11-13-2005, 05:12 AM
How could you possibly fuck up Dr. Doom....Answer: Totally fuck with his storyline and character....

Thats the only part of the story I couldnt bear....Oh yes, and J.Alba as Sue Richards....Uh yeah...right.....shit, might as well have cast Pam Anderson.

Mustard_Plug
11-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Well Since most of the marvel films that have come out lately, draw mainly from the Ultimate Universe, I saw the way of the depiction of Dr.Doom being his ultimate version. So he really didnt bother me, what bothered me was the Thing, not the way he looked but the way the character was handled. I just thought it was a huge cope out for the movie to show the thing not caring about being cured, They finally figure out to reverse his condition and what does he say "Nah, Im good". thats what really made me not like the movie. Personally I hope superman returns does well, but im really mostly lookin forward to the sin city sequels.

TheGuard
11-13-2005, 10:33 AM

You sir know your shit, good to see, and of course you're right Whedon's dialogue is amazing. Astonishing has been solid, even if it relied a little too much on nostalgia...

...Certainly can't take away anything from Hellblazer, been reading it practically from the start, have to say my favorite stuff was Azzarello's run though, and it's what made me pick up 100 Bullets when it started, and damn glad I did. Never read any Books of Magic, and the Sandman stuff goes without saying, it's legendary, really looking foreward to Gainman's new Eternals project also.

Ecstatic
11-13-2005, 06:06 PM
You sir know your shit, good to see, and of course you're right Whedon's dialogue is amazing. Astonishing has been solid, even if it relied a little too much on nostalgia...

...Certainly can't take away anything from Hellblazer, been reading it practically from the start, have to say my favorite stuff was Azzarello's run though, and it's what made me pick up 100 Bullets when it started, and damn glad I did. Never read any Books of Magic, and the Sandman stuff goes without saying, it's legendary, really looking foreward to Gainman's new Eternals project also.
You know your comix too! I really should be reading 100 Bullets, but there's only so many hours in a day, and I don't think I could pick up the storyline now, this far in. Gaiman's Eternals project should be a blast. Every Hellblazer writer has brought something new to the table, and Azzarello was one of the best. What I like most about Ennis' run is how he handled the characters, especially Kit. One of my favorite comics over the past decade or so what the Kit special he wrote, which had no overt magic and certainly no superheroics involved, just a really solid short story. And the way he works with Steve Dillon! Which reminds me of another great Vertigo of the past, Preacher. I'm sure you must've followed that title.

On a different tack, but one of the best written and most original comix published today I think is Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise. Not entirely realistic, but again, no magic or superheroics, only great characters in sometimes extreme situations.

Ecstatic
11-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Well Since most of the marvel films that have come out lately, draw mainly from the Ultimate Universe, I saw the way of the depiction of Dr.Doom being his ultimate version. So he really didnt bother me, what bothered me was the Thing, not the way he looked but the way the character was handled. I just thought it was a huge cope out for the movie to show the thing not caring about being cured, They finally figure out to reverse his condition and what does he say "Nah, Im good". thats what really made me not like the movie. Personally I hope superman returns does well, but im really mostly lookin forward to the sin city sequels.
Good point about the "ultimate" characters. I had given up on Marvel back around 1988 or so (they were getting too convoluted and, in contrast to DC, where writing ruled, seemed to me to be more "art" driven--yet all derivative, second-rate artists), and have only recently (with the notable exception of Daredevil) been drawn back to some of their titles. Thus, I've been a bit lost about the whole "ultimate" universe gimmick. Take the FF: there's at least three different FF storylines published monthly (all are good in their own right, but way out of synch with one another). So I suspect you're right in your assessement.

I don't agree about Ben Grimm though. There have been several points over the past 40 years when the Thing could have been cured, and opted not to be (because he's a hero). I think the way it was handled in the movie was hokey, but the principle was sound and in keeping with his character.

Chris Evans was the best as the Torch. When he leapt off the building to lure the heatseeking missle away, cavalierly calling out "I never do" (in reference to thinking about his actions), then trying to figure what to do now that the missle was tracking him, I applauded: excellent characterization. Reed on the other hand was supposed to be such a nerd that he couldn't be romantic or offer Sue what she wanted, but he's never been flat, as he was portrayed by Gruffudd. That was a disappointment.

Stan Lee as Willie Lumpkins the mailman: priceless.

Mustard_Plug
11-14-2005, 01:38 AM
True the only time reed was reed in the film was when he admired the space suits more than the physique of susan storm. Though in comparison the ultimate universe was suppose to be a complete "start over" for all of marvels heros tryin to place them in a real world atmosphere. Though the only series where this has really worked is the Ultimates, the equivalent of avengers.

Right now if anyone is a morrison fan than you should try reading his seven soldiers series, its really good.

brickcitybrother
11-14-2005, 03:28 AM

See... everytime I try to get out ... they pull me back in!

I don't know guys - I'll think about it. I just hate the way Marvel loves to drudge up old great storylines - and then destroy them - calling it change. I don't think I can take. lol But thanks for the notes.[/i]

brickcitybrother
11-14-2005, 03:30 AM
If X-3 doesn't some how incorporate these characters, i'll be dissapointed.

Thuggish... do yuo need all three? If so... :(

Ecstatic
11-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Hey, brickcitybrother, have you caught any of the hoopla surrounding DC's current "crisis" (INFINITE CRISIS, mind you) which is supposed to reshape the DC universe "for the next generation"? I've been through so many of these restarts, beginning with the dawn of the Silver Age in 1957-59 with Flash, GL, Atom etc. "Flash of Two Worlds" remains one of the most classic comics ever. But the thing spins out of control over 20 years and they have to deconstruct their universe and start fresh because the continuity is far too complex.

And even in Vertigo this is starting to happen. Hellblazer is over 200 issues now, yet the guy has aged, what, five years? Meanwhile Tim from Books of Magic, who met Constantine when he was a kid--what, 7 or 8?--is now in his mid-20s, yet Constantine has only aged 5 years to Tim's 15 or more.

But it's only rock and roll...er, comics....

hwbs
11-14-2005, 09:15 AM
ill let the pic tell u what im looking forward to

Mustard_Plug
11-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Well if your looking forward to Venom then expect Topher Grace from "That 70's show" to be playing him as they already confirmed Thomas Churchill to be playing Sandman.

I actually think so far they are handling Infinite Crisis really well, since they've been plannin and hiniting at it for about two years now. That and it was oh so cool to all the villians united again as they did in the original crisis.

Dkg
11-14-2005, 04:48 PM
If Gambit is gonna be in X3 then I'm looking forward to X3 the most, Spider-Man 3 next b/c I heard Venom was gonna be in it. The others I don't really care about.

TheGuard
11-15-2005, 08:46 PM

You know your comix too! I really should be reading 100 Bullets, but there's only so many hours in a day, and I don't think I could pick up the storyline now, this far in. Gaiman's Eternals project should be a blast. Every Hellblazer writer has brought something new to the table, and Azzarello was one of the best. What I like most about Ennis' run is how he handled the characters, especially Kit. One of my favorite comics over the past decade or so what the Kit special he wrote, which had no overt magic and certainly no superheroics involved, just a really solid short story. And the way he works with Steve Dillon! Which reminds me of another great Vertigo of the past, Preacher. I'm sure you must've followed that title.

On a different tack, but one of the best written and most original comix published today I think is Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise. Not entirely realistic, but again, no magic or superheroics, only great characters in sometimes extreme situations.

Oh yeah, read Preacher, of course I loved it. Haven't checked out Strangers yet, though I've always wanted to. I'd say the most original thing I'm reading right now is either Rex Mundi or Desolation Jones, but liek you said, so many good titles out there, so little time in the day. :)

A_Thug_Fessional
11-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Did you guys hear that they are planning an Aquaman series for the WB?

tsluva
05-24-2006, 07:55 AM

XMEN 3 film did not include Gambit because
Halle Berry (Storm) got so greedy for more screen time
and money that they just couldn't fit the Gambit character
into the movie.

It was the intitial plan to place both Beast and Gambit into
this very last Xmen film but the LAST STAND just has too
much going on, in so little time to include Gambit.

Rumor is if Xmen 3 really hits big at the box office
( $90 to 100 million) and there's
still quite a tremendous demand to see more X, then
there will likely be a FOURTH xmen film despite the
" Last Stand " title .

i won't spoil the suprises for you in this Xmen film
but it's gonna be some really shocking ones !!

Spiderman 3 will likely have 2 villains in this one:
Sandman and VENOM.
of course Spidey still owns the all-time box office record
for best opening day weekend by any film with an astounding
$114 million.
And the two previous Spidey movies ranks among the all-time
ever in terms of total gross earned ,
both domestic and international.

rumors was the director Sam Raini didn't really want Venom
character in this upcoming film but the
heavy demand the Marvel fans put out made it
hard to say " No" .

just me: the big problem i see with Fantastic Four is
the director (Tim Story)
FF movie was all special effects and no
storyplot and character development.
and unfortunately, Story is slated to direct the 2nd one.

i'm a big fan of the HULK comics, animations
and TV series ( lou ferrigno) but director Ang Lee
( he of Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain)
totally screwed up the Hulk film !!

i was disappointed.

Totally "cartoonish " CGI effects and a much too slow
first half of the movie.
but apparently the producers are listening to the public critics.
the 2nd upcoming HULK film will involve a lot more Hulk action
and a more realistic Hulk figure ( though smaller than the 1st one)

Normally Superman wouldn't interest me because it's
burnt out and used up so often ( see Smallville and Lois & Clark)
but Bryan Singer
( who directed both Xmen films and Usual Suspects)
is the director for SUPERMAN RETURNS and he is quite
a brillant one who can make characters and story-lines
quite unique, so it could be interesting.

Spiderman 3, Fantastic Four 2 and Ghost Rider are all due
to be released in 2007.

`

tsluva
05-24-2006, 07:58 AM

... and a " BLADE " series as well.

but it likely won't be Wesley Snipes though. he will soon be
involved in a script for Marvel's " BLACK PANTHER. "

tsluva
05-24-2006, 08:11 AM

I think in this day and age, a wrestler with green make up on won't cut it in terms of box office sucess. While I do think they could have tamed some of the CGI useage in the Hulk movie, the very nature and scope of the Hulk kind of warrants a serious degree of CGI useage. I mean, the guy has uncomparable strength, kind of hard to get that on a greenscreen with a guy in makeup.

yeh, i think there's ways to make CGI effects work
for you if used properly.
Look at how ' Lords of the Rings' was done and especially the
character ' Golem '.

the CGI effects for Ang Lee's Hulk made him look more
like an angry "Shrek " .

tsluva
05-24-2006, 08:20 AM
If Gambit is gonna be in X3 then I'm looking forward to X3 the most, Spider-Man 3 next b/c I heard Venom was gonna be in it. The others I don't really care about.

unfortunately no Gambit in Xmen 3 (which is such a bummer.)

but there will be a spin-off Wolverine movie ... as well as
intitial plans for a Magneto film .

iluvshemales
05-24-2006, 06:06 PM

well that one got axed. pity (i found out from comingsoon.net)

as for ur first question, it's Supes for me. he's my fave after all :D

and here's the poster and they also have three trailers up for Superman Returns and loved them all. but then again i'm biased. so check it yourself 8)

here's the add http://www.comingsoon.net

dabaldone
05-24-2006, 09:17 PM
I agree with one post. The age of Apocolypse storyline would be awesome. Marvel has some great storylines in the Spiderman, Hulk and FF titles. But the screenwriters decide they aren't good enough. Hey, make mine Marvel!

tsluva
05-25-2006, 05:54 AM
I agree with one post. The age of Apocolypse storyline would be awesome. Marvel has some great storylines in the Spiderman, Hulk and FF titles. But the screenwriters decide they aren't good enough. Hey, make mine Marvel!

yeh, Marvel is quite simply da bomb!

their character universe is a great
deal more vast and wider than what DC comics has to offer.

outside from the usual overdone Batman and Superman films,
DC comics are relatively limited.
( although Wonder Woman is supposely in the making. )

Marvel's GHOST RIDER (nicolas cage) and IRON MAN are scheduled
to be on the way.

Ghost Rider was actually pushed back from this summer
to summer of 2007.
And rumor had it that producers were initially
interested in Tom Cruise to star in the Iron Man role.

Friedrich_Nietzsche
05-25-2006, 10:56 PM
People go to a movie theater and pay money to watch these things? :banghead