PDA

View Full Version : McChrystal's Military Code Opinion

bladex76
06-23-2010, 03:10 AM
wow times have change whem i was in the service you could not say or speak what was in your mind... what do you guys think???

jimme747
06-23-2010, 04:21 AM
McChrystal has a reputation for saying and thinking what other military leaders are afraid to, one of the reasons cited for his current appointment, which he assumed on June 15, 2009.

As head of "the most secretive force in the U.S. military," McChrystal maintained a very low profile until June 2006, when his forces were responsible for the death of Al-Zarqawi. His teams teams launched a new series of highly-effective covert operations. They did this by killing or capturing many of the key al-Qa'ida leaders in Iraq.

Several senior U.S. officials stated that the "joint efforts of JSOC and CIA paramilitary units were the most significant contributor to the defeat of al-Qa'ida in Iraq."

He get "things" done in the nasty war(s), both in Iraq and Afghanistan.
DC let him down and was not willing to support him in the final Afghan stage of the war. He felt let down and shared his thoughts.

What else is new..................?

giovanni_hotel
06-23-2010, 04:52 AM
You still can't 'speak what's on your mind' in the military, especially when broaching topics that involve opinions that run counter to your superiors.

Free-spirt McChrystal has submitted his resignation to the POTUS post-haste and is in D.C. as we speak heading to the Oval Office to get the ol' deep stroke from BO.

IMO McChrystal is getting what he deserves. It's better that he leave now; the general wants to stay in Afghanistan indefinitely fighting a war against insurgents.

Afganistan and Iraq are a cluster fuck, best to get out now and not add to the body count.

Doesn't matter what dictator/islamic dictatorship is ruling those toilet bowls, it won't change life in this country one iota.

GOd Bless AmMErica

jimme747
06-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Hmmmm Guess you forgot about 9/11. Out.

Christastic
06-23-2010, 07:32 AM
That article read to me like he wanted to get fired. He'd have to be stupid to be that careless with the Rolling Stone for god's sake.

McChrystal formulated the Afghanistan strategy. It's his baby. He presented it to the President and to the Secretary of Defense after Obama was elected. That was the reason it took so long to get an Afghanistan strategy. They were meticulous. Obama and Bob Gates gave him the greenlight. They backed him to the hilt. And now that strategy is for shit. So he has two options: get written into the history books as the guy who got canned for badmouthing the boss, or get written into the history books as the guy who came up with a worthless strategy in what was supposed to be his field of expertise. Seems like he chose the former.

GullyFoyle
06-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Doesn't matter what dictator/islamic dictatorship is ruling those toilet bowls, it won't change life in this country one iota.

It's a toilet bowl with over a trillion dollars of mineral resources in it. You do the math.

jimme747
06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Although I respect all your remarks lads and lassies, please do some reading about McC.
Google or Wiki, then realise he is not your average GI Joe. He does know what he is talking about. Dunnit, been there and I am sure he has all the T-shirts.
The RS article was definitely not his way out. His career goes beyond Afghanistan an Iraq, trust me.

giovanni_hotel
06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
That article read to me like he wanted to get fired. He'd have to be stupid to be that careless with the Rolling Stone for god's sake.

McChrystal formulated the Afghanistan strategy. It's his baby. He presented it to the President and to the Secretary of Defense after Obama was elected. That was the reason it took so long to get an Afghanistan strategy. They were meticulous. Obama and Bob Gates gave him the greenlight. They backed him to the hilt. And now that strategy is for shit. So he has two options: get written into the history books as the guy who got canned for badmouthing the boss, or get written into the history books as the guy who came up with a worthless strategy in what was supposed to be his field of expertise. Seems like he chose the former.

My understanding is that the Afghanistan war strategy was formulated by Petraus(?), McChrystal was brought in to simply implement the war plan.

Nicole Dupre
06-23-2010, 05:35 PM
It's a toilet bowl with over a trillion dollars of mineral resources in it. You do the math.

Math? Who's counting after the first few hits.

Anyway, right now I just feel like relaxing and listening to Coltrane. lol

http://ncowie.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/0102082727000.jpg

MrF
06-24-2010, 03:37 AM
I've read the Rolling Stones article. There's not much harm in what McChrystal said, but he (and especially his staff) was disrespectful of the civilian team members like Richard Holbrooke, so I can understand why he got canned. The main question I have is, WHY say that stuff to the press ? Keep it private. Either he was being very dumb or he wanted to get canned. Not sure which.

trish
06-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Not the first time McChrystal was unable to control himself and displayed poor judgment. We cannot afford to have a general with his responsibilities in Afghanistan who has repeated demonstrated poor judgment and lack of self control. Time to retire and look after the grandkids.

Here is where I disagree with Obama. Personally, I think we should get the hell out of Afghanistan. And no I haven't forgot 9/11. But the collateral damage of our military escapades is creating Al Qaeda recruits faster than we can kill them. If we're going to stay, and it looks like we are, we need a new strategy. So all you gung ho guys start working on a new plan.

Meanwhile, I'm kickin' back with Nicole...a love supreme, a love supreme, a love supreme, a love supreme....

DCGuy343
06-24-2010, 06:03 AM
He will be back on the scene to run for President. Can you imagine him and Obama going at it in the debates? This will be more interesting in the months to come...The storyline is just beginning...

Tiffany Anne
06-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Either he was being very dumb or he wanted to get canned. Not sure which.

Or he wanted to set up the multi-million $$$ payout from Fox.

russtafa
06-24-2010, 12:33 PM
an atomic bomb would solve the middle east problem without lives being lost

Solitary Brother
06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
That fucker McChrystal really tried it THIS TIME.
You could tell by the press conference that Obama was really pissed off at this Son of a General.

tellapan
06-24-2010, 05:27 PM
For a democracy to survive, the military must answer to the body elected to rule the state, regardless of their opinions of them, they are there to serve the people and be controlled by the peoples elected representatives. If it became acceptable for the military to openly critisise the polititians without fear of dismissal, the military would rapidly become the supreme body of the state.... in other words a junta

TSCURIOUS
06-24-2010, 05:37 PM
He spoke his mind and had to resign for it. So much for the presidents "open door/open communications policy". Is there a czar for that? He didn't like it and forced him out. McChrystal spoke the truth - obama has no clue at all and quite frankly needs to resign himself. BTW - how come the main stream media doesn't report on all the deaths in Afghanistan? Where's that asshole Cindy Sheehan these days? One Big Ass Mistake America!

scroller
06-24-2010, 05:55 PM
wow times have change whem i was in the service you could not say or speak what was in your mind... what do you guys think???

Were you a 4-star general? Maybe the rules are a tad different.

TSCURIOUS
06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
an atomic bomb would solve the middle east problem without lives being lost

Plus one well placed in the White House when the current resident and his side kick are home!

trish
06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/opinion/24truscott.html

Ben
06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
"Everyone in Washington is a prostitute":

YouTube- "Everyone in Washington is a prostitute" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMr5oXepxqc)

giovanni_hotel
06-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Plus one well placed in the White House when the current resident and his side kick are home!

Spoken like a true tea bagger; assassinate the President because you didn't vote for him.

Too bad most of the higher ups at DOD and the Pentagon believe McCrystal left the POTUS no other option but to fire him.

IF a general feels the overwhelming need to attack the competence of President's wartime strategy, he should do what all past general's have done; you RETIRE first, then spout off to the nearest media outlet.

TSCURIOUS
06-26-2010, 02:52 PM
In press conference, the president (not mine) said he and McChrystal were in, and continue to be in, complete agreement on the war policy - so what happened?

And when that bomb hits the White House - hopefully pelosi, reid and dowd will be there too-

trish
06-26-2010, 04:13 PM
I'll tell you what happened. Remember the long period of deliberation that came before the President decided to go with McChrystal's strategy. That never settled well with little peacock general. McChrystal expected the White House to immediately accept his plan without study and without exploring other avenues. He expected the White House to fawn over him and accept every nuance of his strategy. That didn't happen. The White House deliberated for a month while McChrystal fumed, and in the end the President adopted McChrystal's strategy with some caveats, namely the placement of a few flexible deadlines. McChrystal fumed some more, but accepted the job. But that's not the only thing that went wrong. Long long before the deadlines became relevant, the plan began to fail. Things got worse and are getting worse in Afghanistan. The general is frustrated and lashing out. The President (your President...unless you're not a U.S. citizen or perhaps you're a traitor) is frustrated, and frankly I'm frustrated with the President for going with McChrystal's plan and for continuing with it now. Afghanistan is the reef of empires past and present. Bush should never have gone in and Obama should get out. But we won't. Leaving means the U.S. will lose face and the President will lose face. So we're just going to continue to pour trillions of dollars down that rat hole while conservatives will continue to blame our economic problems are due to lazy Americans collecting unemployment checks and illegal aliens working for slave wages with no benefits.

You know, don't you, that an hour before that bomb is scheduled to drop, Jack Bauer is going to bash in your door and fuck you in your treasonous ass with a Saguaro Cactus. The mods are sending your address to the CTU and the FBI right now.

TSCURIOUS
06-26-2010, 08:15 PM
So glad hussien obama picked a President Bush General to save his ass!!

trish
06-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry traitorCURIOUS, but General Petraeus is a United States Army General, and if he heard you say otherwise, you'd have yet another Saguaro shoved up your ass behind the first one. Chain of command is one thing, but being called this president's or that president's personal general is an insult, regardless of whether the president in question served, didn't serve or went AWOL.:lol::lol::lol:
But I'm glad your glad.