PDA

View Full Version : Elton Sold Out Literally

sunairco
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
My jaw dropped when my dad told me that Elton John perfomed at Rush Limbaugh's wedding today. He's pretty old, so I figured he got him mixed up with someone else. Why would Elton perform for someone who has single handedly served up so much hate and discord? Someone who has demonized the LGBT community and a minister of disinformation for the conservatives? No way would Elton play into the hands of that manipulating buffon.

Guess not. He had a price that he sold out to. One million USD.

Sorry, I just lost all respect for Elton. I grew up with his music and own many of his albums. When many of the musicians are teaming up to decry Rethuglican party use of their music in their campaigns and demanding rights to refuse the use of their music, Elton John has done the exact opposite for the money. He played right into their hands and made a mockery of his fellow musicians standing up for what's right. What's he going to say? It wasn't about the money? It was building bridges with the Right?

I wonder how this is going over on the other side of the pond?

Dino Velvet
06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
When he agreed to perform at Rush's wedding he probably thought Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart were having a 3 way same sex marriage that has been recently made legal in Canada. When he got there and found out it was Rush Limbaugh's wedding he went through with it as not to seem heterophobic.

bulldog
06-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Why does there have to be a right or left? This is the exact kind of thinking that is causing the problem, why cant it be that he found Rush to be a friend (its possible, I reserve judgment for all people until I get to know them) and did it because of that? Why does it have to be political? I dont get it, everyone seems to think everywhere and everything is politics :S

timxxx
06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Elton John usually gives the money he earns from 'private' shows to the Elton John Aids Foundation,Limbaugh's money going to a Aids Foundation is 100% win.

Prospero
06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Hmmmm.... Rush is a hateful figure though. Elton must have known that. Great if the money does go to the Aids foundation but I am sure there are other folk he could have played instead.

hyperspace
06-08-2010, 08:47 PM
he did it for his football club. they are almost broke.

bte
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Why does there have to be a right or left? This is the exact kind of thinking that is causing the problem, why cant it be that he found Rush to be a friend (its possible, I reserve judgment for all people until I get to know them) and did it because of that? Why does it have to be political? I dont get it, everyone seems to think everywhere and everything is politics :S

Good point. Maybe Limbaugh and him are friends or maybe Limbaugh really likes Elton John's music. Not everything should be political related.

onmyknees
06-09-2010, 04:58 AM
My jaw dropped when my dad told me that Elton John perfomed at Rush Limbaugh's wedding today. He's pretty old, so I figured he got him mixed up with someone else. Why would Elton perform for someone who has single handedly served up so much hate and discord? Someone who has demonized the LGBT community and a minister of disinformation for the conservatives? No way would Elton play into the hands of that manipulating buffon.

Guess not. He had a price that he sold out to. One million USD.

Sorry, I just lost all respect for Elton. I grew up with his music and own many of his albums. When many of the musicians are teaming up to decry Rethuglican party use of their music in their campaigns and demanding rights to refuse the use of their music, Elton John has done the exact opposite for the money. He played right into their hands and made a mockery of his fellow musicians standing up for what's right. What's he going to say? It wasn't about the money? It was building bridges with the Right?

I wonder how this is going over on the other side of the pond?

Of course it's about the money more times than not...but I read Elton's thoughts on the matter, and he claims it was about peace and understanding, and not political or economic. I know this may be hard for some to understand, because you're consumed with hate and dislike, but not everybody is.... I know someone who met Rush and says he's warm and gracious when not doing his schtick. Peace love and understanding...good for Elton on all accounts. After all...didn't he also forgive Eminem??? So why not Rush?
NewsFlash...were you as outraged when Sting played for a murderous dictator for a cool 1m ????????

rameses2
06-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Limbaugh hasn't come out against Same sex marriage but he hasn't defended it either. If Elton donated the money to charity, is that some kinda passive/aggressive "Rush gave money to gay people" schtick? Oh, wait. Elton did it for the lulz...

UirCelLanAd
06-09-2010, 10:15 AM
I find it hilarious that in a forum that strives to purport understanding, the people here have not tried to figure out beliefs of Rush Limbaugh. Now for full disclosure I am a libertarian, and have found some of his views revolting. However, his views on gay marriage are the SAME of our current president. He believes that homosexuality is something that you are born into, not a choice, but he is against gay marriage (I disagree with him on this point). Now the fact is he is an abrasive conservative, which gets him labeled as racist and homophobic...he is neither. Open your minds people and actually fight for what you are saying you want...