PDA

View Full Version : Stock Market SUCKS

flabbybody
05-07-2010, 07:02 AM
If you own any significant amounts of stocks, bonds or mutual funds in a savings or 401(K) type retirement account I would strongly recommend not going to the website that gives you it's real time closing portfolio value. these last few days have been brutal and you'll get very angry

Collect all the cash you have and stop in at a tranny party and do some dirty deeds with the girl of your choice. be generous. This saving for your retirement plan is a load of horse crap. Wall Street are all theives. They use big words and steal your money

<end of drunk rant>, but to be continued

4star4
05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
flabby, I've never jumped in. ... Do you think now may be the time to take the plunge?

Floyd R
05-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Don't worry, there will be better days ahead. I guarantee it.

GroobySteven
05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Ever tried using Prosper.com?
I do a good average of over 8% return there.

Otherwise, put your money in apartments and rent them. An investment of $100,000 on an apartment you can rent for $500 a month gives a better return then most of the banks as well as a potential capital gain :-)

Richctdude
05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
the stock market is one big con game

buckjohnson
05-07-2010, 02:17 PM
i agree with richctdude, not only because I lost my life saving in 2008-2009.

ALYSINCLAIRxxx
05-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Real-Estate is just starting to come back now too. It's a good time to start that process. Good point Seanchai.

GroobySteven
05-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Your apartment looks tiny Aly?

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/customavatars/avatar43156_3.gif

ALYSINCLAIRxxx
05-07-2010, 06:40 PM
hahaha! cute! :rolleyes:

i am putting it on the market if you want to discuss a figure? :)

scroller
05-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Well certainly if you get highly bothered by a 1% or 2% decline (like today) then you shouldn't be in the stock market. The market does in fact work to prey on people like that. That's when the sheep get sheared.

BLKGSXR
05-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Real-Estate is just starting to come back now too. It's a good time to start that process. Good point Seanchai.
you're spot on right now is truly the time to buy because by December it may be too late to get the "right" price.

evilernie
05-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Well certainly if you get highly bothered by a 1% or 2% decline (like today) then you shouldn't be in the stock market. The market does in fact work to prey on people like that. That's when the sheep get sheared.

The "bear raid" that happened yesterday is a known trick when trading on low volume stocks. Yesterday, everyone saw the effect. Good thing I was too lazy in putting those stop limits (I usually have them at 10%). Otherwise, I would have been robbed too.

Ride the elephants. We (individual investor) cannot move the market. Most trading stores have volume graphs, I usually look at those. When a stocks is downgraded, wait until the volume thin down. If you think the company is not going under, then you can get in. Hold on for the ride, don't be so anxious to sell.

In converse, an upgrade is a time when you get ready to sell. It means that its almost at its peak and the analyst wants to milk it a little more.

If you "must" put you money somewhere before your next stock purchase, put in a TIP or US$ ETF. Despite all the armageddon talks about the downfall of the $, there isn't a safer place anywhere.

As for real estate, remember that should be a looong term investment. You should consider the interest, taxes and fees involved in buying real estate.

flabbybody
05-08-2010, 01:06 AM
I agree that owning houses beats owning stocks but real estate is not something the average person can afford to invest in.
And being a landlord is no bargain when you have to pay property taxes and utility bills. Not to mention the endless legal costs of evicting a dead beat tenant who can stick around for up to a year without paying rent

donre
05-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino is leading presidential polls in the Philippines with about 40% of the vote so far, early results indicate.

BeardedOne
05-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I saw this shit coming, via Greece, Portugal, et al and bailed just in time. I have actually been cheering the dive and will move back in when it hits bottom (If a bottom can be found).

My timing was off, but not disastrous, the last time the markets tanked. I'm hoping that I'll make better and faster moves on this round. So far, so good.

Markets are still down (European and Asian, which play on Satiddy), so I am actually in an upbeat mood for a change. :)

Schimmel
05-09-2010, 12:43 AM
the stock market is one big con game
And how do u play with a con? By being a con and understanding the machinery of the monster.

seanchai is on point with his advice on apartments.

Schimmel
05-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Becoming a landlord is asking for a 24/7/365 headache. And the money you do get after the 3 or 4x taxing usually goes into building maintenance. Real estate is a better investment if you are a developer rather than a landlord, or are buying for yourself.
Developing over owning and prop. management?? No thanks. Here's some news for u if you're throwing ur money back into maintenance.. Evict and start being choosy about who you rent to.

donre
05-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Gordon Brown says he is to step down as leader of the Labour Party as the battle mounts to form the next UK government.

Schimmel
05-09-2010, 01:53 AM
You're right. In fact it's VERY simplistic. Which works for me.

1) Maybe, maybe not. I learn new things every day. As it stands now, I would not want to undertake developing.
2) Always a possibility in regards to realty.
3) See my original statement about being choosy when choosing who to rent to. Know the booklets or suffer. To my judgement, the myriad of suits between tenants and landlords would be better judged by a fuckin bullet into the mix. I'm easy to talk to and easily understanding to human situations. But fuck around and take advantage of my kindness, then I will hit back hard. I have patience until my patience has been tested. Sob stories eventually get tiresome. Be an adult and you won't see Schimmel and his buddy pulling up in a truck and trailer ready to help you move out.

But whatever the reason, as it stands I can't disagree with you more. Neither development nor owning and renting means sitting back, putting your feet up, and receiving a check in regular intervals (I'm sure we'd agree on that). But compared to being a landlord, development is the superior investment if you can afford to get into it in the first place.
Unless you are talking about development on a very large scale, then I couldn't be happier with being a bottom-end landlord. Your original comment about it being a constant headache, I know where u are coming from, but if done right it can be the opposite.

donre
05-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Social network Twitter fixes a major bug that allowed people to force other users to "follow" them on the site.

scroller
05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
So... hope no one actually sold off into the slide last week... and thus miss out on upsurge today: +3% U.S., +9% European markets. And so it goes...