PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand the hypocrisy

Jhellis978
11-05-2005, 02:41 AM
I recently share a conversation with a prospective female suitor-ess, about the qualities I look for in a girlfriend. There was a mutual physical attraction between the two of us, but I could not see myself dating her because of her lack of education.

I informed her that a college degree was very important to me and it would be very hard for me to date a girl without one. She was enraged. She said I was "arrogant" for saying that, but previsouly she had told me that she had to be physically attracted to a guy in order to date him.

My question is why is it ok to be superficial about looks, but if you want a girl to be educated and intelligent you are arrogant.

Felicia Katt
11-05-2005, 02:46 AM
You are wrongly conflating education with intelligence. Some very smart people never went to college. And Bush went to Yale and Harvard :)

FK

MacShreach
11-05-2005, 03:16 AM
You are wrongly conflating education with intelligence. Some very smart people never went to college. And Bush went to Yale and Harvard :)

FK

Well said, Felicia. Your man also has a pretty high opinion of himself, and of the measures which he uses to judge others, something he professes on one hand not to do, ever since he changed his name from Jesus, and yet, my word, here he is seeking justification for doing exactly that.

Hm. A gaggle of barely on-topic threads started on everything from movies to music and now this, all seeking to draw out the opinion of others. A firmly, perhaps even arrogantly held point of view, yet expressed in a way that invites response rather than put-down. A blog that is not a blog but a novella--or is it novelette? Your man clearly has the need to see his opinion in print, at length, but he hates editors. And he likes his words to be responded to.

Josh, are you by any chance lonely? You know I wouldn't be surprised.

Interesting. But not interesting enough to stay up any later thinking about.

Nighty night.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-05-2005, 03:19 AM
I recently share a conversation with a prospective female suitor-ess, about the qualities I look for in a girlfriend. There was a mutual physical attraction between the two of us, but I could not see myself dating her because of her lack of education.

I informed her that a college degree was very important to me and it would be very hard for me to date a girl without one. She was enraged. She said I was "arrogant" for saying that, but previsouly she had told me that she had to be physically attracted to a guy in order to date him.

My question is why is it ok to be superficial about looks, but if you want a girl to be educated and intelligent you are arrogant.

I wouldnt call that hypocricy as much as Its called preference. We all got preferences in almost everything.

And although physical attraction is the front runner and is KEY when it comes to people getting together..Its not everything.

Some people value education and strives hard to get theirs and aspire his/her partner is of the same. However, equating Intelligence with a degree doesnt say one is smart or intelligent. And for some, Its not all that important.

To me personally, although that is a good quality to look for in a partner..whats more important for me is that we can connect on different multiple levels aside from just having strong sexual attraction to one another.

~Kisses.

HTG

TomSelis
11-05-2005, 03:44 AM

I think you need to get off your high horse. While a college education is great, you have to realize many girls haven't finished high school. Since you don't know her story, you don't know if she is one of those girls. Her saying she had to be physically attracted was a snipe back at you. You offended her because, maybe she feels like she's not good enough for college.

It's like you meet a girl, you're bullshitting around about who looks hot. You start describing or naming famous women that don't look anything like her and she gets pissed off about it. It might be silly, but women think this way. You should realize you have to be diplomatic about what you say, no matter what you feel, especially early on. You put your foot in your mouth and didn't even know it.

Quinn
11-05-2005, 03:55 AM
While I would definitely agree that a person doesn’t need a formal education to be intelligent, I do think it’s a fair requirement to put in place when seeking a relationship. If someone can state a preference for a certain complexion, height, weight, or race, then why shouldn’t they be able to make education a preference? For my part, I have dated women with a wide range of education levels, but for me to have truly serious relationship with a woman, she needs to be well educated and self-made.

-Quinn

BeardedOne
11-05-2005, 04:40 AM
I know some pretty dumb-ass graduates with this-n-that college degree wallpaper in their homes/offices.

Tell me again how that's supposed to make them better dating material. :soapbox

joyboy123
11-05-2005, 04:45 AM

Whatever. Trust me, you meet the right person all that other bullshit goes out the window. :roll:

Ecstatic
11-05-2005, 06:19 AM
I value both intelligence and education: the first for the innate ability to reason, analyze, create, and imagine, and the second for knowledge of a range of subjects in sufficient depth to engender engaging discussion and share knowledge. Intelligence is the more essential of the two, as education without intelligence cannot go far but intelligence without education has endless potential.

BlackAdder
11-05-2005, 06:30 AM
So you base the viability of the relationship off of whether or not she has a degree.....Wow...how immature you are!! Im still young but even I know a degree has nothing to do with potential intelligence.....Hell, my IQ is higher then some of my doctorate friends....Your really shooting your happiness in the foot.

Jhellis978
11-05-2005, 07:26 AM
I value both intelligence and education: the first for the innate ability to reason, analyze, create, and imagine, and the second for knowledge of a range of subjects in sufficient depth to engender engaging discussion and share knowledge. Intelligence is the more essential of the two, as education without intelligence cannot go far but intelligence without education has endless potential.

I agree with you Ecstatis. Perhaps, I did not word my initial post properly.

Education, like beauty, can be bought; intelligence can not.

Trogdor
11-05-2005, 07:59 AM

Look at some of the so-called 'eu-educated people' in history.

Ghandi
Einstein ( he flunked math, people )
And to all you religious people, Jesus was a mere carpenter.

And these guys faired pretty well. :D

Jhellis978
11-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Personally, I have to be stimulated mentally before a girl can stimulate me physically.

MacShreach
11-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Personally, I have to be stimulated mentally before a girl can stimulate me physically.

Bull.