PDA

View Full Version : Tight budget PC Gamer Thread

JamesHunt
12-19-2009, 11:35 AM
OK. What spec machine do you say is the best for gaming for laptop & desktop? I dont want to spend too much on this shit, medium settings will do for me.

Any suggestions for a laptop or m/board/processor/vcard combination

Peacetalks
12-19-2009, 11:51 AM
PMing you some options.

BLKGSXR
12-19-2009, 01:50 PM
dont do it yourself if youve never built one....500-1000 USD is a good start.
Laptops generally cost more cooling wise and product wise.

evilernie
12-19-2009, 10:32 PM
dont do it yourself if youve never built one....
There is no reason that you cannot build one. If you are not familiar, you can just read more before putting it together.
Have you even been to http://newegg.com? They have accompanying forums for newbies too and plenty of people that are willing to help you out.
I say go for a self-build, your money will stretch further.

However, you have to share your budget amount $$$ if you want suggestions on what component to use.

BLKGSXR
12-19-2009, 11:28 PM
dont do it yourself if youve never built one....
There is no reason that you cannot build one. If you are not familiar, you can just read more before putting it together.
Have you even been to http://newegg.com? They have accompanying forums for newbies too and plenty of people that are willing to help you out.
I say go for a self-build, your money will stretch further.

However, you have to share your budget amount $$$ if you want suggestions on what component to use.w.e you say...I suggest people who have never built a comp in their life or seen it first hand to have someone else do it... but thats me you on the other hand got newegg in mind its a Los Angeles based company which is very good ive picked up numerous items from them in the past, but FRYS is just as good and sometimes cheaper...
For newbs get an anti-static bracelet/glove or say bye bye to the comp you are attempting to build.

mbf
12-19-2009, 11:46 PM
OK. What spec machine do you say is the best for gaming for laptop & desktop? I dont want to spend too much on this shit, medium settings will do for me.

No need for building a machine by himself. Today's mid range machines regarding price are powerful enough for most gameing. No matter if notebook or desktop. They typically come with a 512 Mb graphics memory card and 3, to 4 gigs of memory, and a double core processor (many have quadcore processors also already). enough horsepower for most games, graphics card can easily be upgraded to 1024 or even more memory cards.

For gameing, you need a fast harddisk, good grahics card (with it's own memory, not shared!). Memory isnt an issue anymore, and so is the processor. Most of those "destined" gameing machines like alienware or Dell xps models are too powerful, but gamers often are lame asses who go after the flashiest, most expensive, fastest processor, most memory graphics card :lol:

You should just avoid Atom-based machines and machines with mainboard graphics. Good enough for office and websurfing, but not for gameing.

BLKGSXR
12-20-2009, 09:23 PM

No need for building a machine by himself. Today's mid range machines regarding price are powerful enough for most gameing. No matter if notebook or desktop. They typically come with a 512 Mb graphics memory card and 3, to 4 gigs of memory, and a double core processor (many have quadcore processors also already). enough horsepower for most games, graphics card can easily be upgraded to 1024 or even more memory cards.

For gameing, you need a fast harddisk, good grahics card (with it's own memory, not shared!). Memory isnt an issue anymore, and so is the processor. Most of those "destined" gameing machines like alienware or Dell xps models are too powerful, but gamers often are lame asses who go after the flashiest, most expensive, fastest processor, most memory graphics card :lol:

You should just avoid Atom-based machines and machines with mainboard graphics. Good enough for office and websurfing, but not for gameing.your completely right, I personally will never buy one from a 3rd party company such as compaq,hp,acer,etc....99.9 percent of the time I get shit from them it ends up not being compatible at least when I build my shit I know every little thing that goes into the computer....30 fps on my old hp....99.9-100 fps on my builtbeast....max is 100 on fps on the games I play.

JamesHunt
12-21-2009, 01:56 AM
cheers 4 reply people, I'm gonna go down the laptop route, cos I need to be portable.

what you reckon to this spec?

Full specification
Benefit
Operating system Genuine Windows (R) 7 Home Premium
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo processor P7450
Processor speed (2.13Ghz, 1066Mhz, 3MB Cache) The higher the number of Megahertz (MHZ) the faster the processor should be
Memory Size 4GB MB
Memory Type DDR3
Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB The bigger the capacity the more you can store
Optical Drives DVD RW
CD-ROM Speed 24 x Enabling access to CD ROM data. The higher the number the faster the speed
CD-RW Speed. 4 x Enabling you to access and store data on CD-RW disks. The higher the number the faster the speed
DVD-ROM Speed 8 x Enabling you access to data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speed
Floppy Disk Drive NO Floppy disks are 3.5" square and store a small amount of data. CDs,DVDs and memory sticks are now usually used instead
Screen Size/Type 16"
Graphics Card Type Nvidia GeForce GT 230M To enable images to be displayed on your monitor
Graphics Memory 1GB dedicated MB The higher the memory the better quality images you are display
TV-out NO Allowing you to plug your laptop into a TV to watch DVDs
Sound Type Harman Kardon Speakers To enable you to have sound from your computer which is great for games, movies and music
Wireless Enabled YES Allows you to connect to an existing wireless network such as in a office or a wireless hot spot
No. of USB Connections 3 The more connections the computer has the more equipment you can connect to your computer e.g. a modem, printer, scanner, digital camera, PDA
Infrared Port Included NO Allowing you to connect to other devices with infrared such as an infrared enabled mobile phone
Other Interfaces HDMI
Battery Type Lithium-ion
Weight 2.76 kg This is the weight of the appliance in KG
Height 41 mm
Width 384 mm
Depth 259 mm
Colour Glossy Black

BLKGSXR
12-21-2009, 02:10 AM
cheers 4 reply people, I'm gonna go down the laptop route, cos I need to be portable.

what you reckon to this spec?

Full specification
Benefit
Operating system Genuine Windows (R) 7 Home Premium
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo processor P7450
Processor speed (2.13Ghz, 1066Mhz, 3MB Cache) The higher the number of Megahertz (MHZ) the faster the processor should be
Memory Size 4GB MB
Memory Type DDR3
Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB The bigger the capacity the more you can store
Optical Drives DVD RW
CD-ROM Speed 24 x Enabling access to CD ROM data. The higher the number the faster the speed
CD-RW Speed. 4 x Enabling you to access and store data on CD-RW disks. The higher the number the faster the speed
DVD-ROM Speed 8 x Enabling you access to data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speed
Floppy Disk Drive NO Floppy disks are 3.5" square and store a small amount of data. CDs,DVDs and memory sticks are now usually used instead
Screen Size/Type 16"
Graphics Card Type Nvidia GeForce GT 230M To enable images to be displayed on your monitor
Graphics Memory 1GB dedicated MB The higher the memory the better quality images you are display
TV-out NO Allowing you to plug your laptop into a TV to watch DVDs
Sound Type Harman Kardon Speakers To enable you to have sound from your computer which is great for games, movies and music
Wireless Enabled YES Allows you to connect to an existing wireless network such as in a office or a wireless hot spot
No. of USB Connections 3 The more connections the computer has the more equipment you can connect to your computer e.g. a modem, printer, scanner, digital camera, PDA
Infrared Port Included NO Allowing you to connect to other devices with infrared such as an infrared enabled mobile phone
Other Interfaces HDMI
Battery Type Lithium-ion
Weight 2.76 kg This is the weight of the appliance in KG
Height 41 mm
Width 384 mm
Depth 259 mm
Colour Glossy Blackdo a windows 7 professional

Intel processor is great I personally like 3.0ghz which isnt a big price difference
your Nvidia graphics card is badass 1gb will never be needed for anygames imo...Get a Nvidia 210 or 9800gt 512 mb...saves some money still has hdmi ports in back
Im guessing its a laptop... make sure your cooling system is good or your regret it...Nvidia cards run super hot.

JamesHunt
12-21-2009, 02:23 AM
yep, its a Toshiba A500-17X 16" Widescreen Laptop

£700 GB pounds

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 6000+ at the moment, with no graphics card, how does that processor compare to this, know I can google this, but theres too much info, numbers & variants out there

evilernie
12-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Not bad, but go with a 7200 rpm hard drive. Since that big a laptop won't have long battery life anyway. and I agree 1gb video memory is overkill.