PDA

View Full Version : LAW & ORDER: SVU - Transition Episode tonight

LAGent4ts
11-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Did anyone see the SVU episode this evening which was about a M2F teenager accused of attempted murder of her father for not allowing her to take hormones?

While I obviously do not have first hand experience in what an individual goes through in Transition, friends have shared their stories with me and it seems as if the writers did thier best in dealing with the subject matter with dignity and respect. A refreshing approach IMO. On the USA network.

LAW & ORDER, SVU- SYNOPSIS Transitions:
A man is found badly beaten in a parking lot, with no memory of what happened, and detectives suspect his transgender teen may be responsible.

SarahG
11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
If its on USA its one of the reruns, NBC does the writing & production of SVU.

LAGent4ts
11-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Sara,

I do not watch much tv so will take your word that it is a NBC product and maybe that makes it even more impressive imo as there was no reference to gratuitous sex or social commentary about the validity of the teenagers desire to transition as is often present in programs dealing with transgender subject matter. The only person who did not accept that this individual was a female was her father. I just thought it was well done.

cadcad
11-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I like that they are portraying trans people more and just educating the masses more in general about the subject, but do they always have to be the murderer/assailant?

TsVanessa69
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I like that they are portraying trans people more and just educating the masses more in general about the subject, but do they always have to be the murderer/assailant?
Its a double edged sword

LAGent4ts
11-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Its a double edged sword

That it is. But on the upside the fact is that the subject matter is now being dealt with more and more. And in this episode they focused on a teenager in transition and another transitioned female working as a guidence counselor in high school who had some very terrible things happen to her. Nice that a main stream show did not go the easy route and have every girl working a corner hustling a cutomer (not that there is anything wrong with the oldest and honorable profession). The times they are changing, slow but never the less changing.

speedstick112
11-05-2009, 04:45 AM
I saw it on megaupload. Pretty good job of representing trans youth and also involving it intrinsically in the storyline. No idea why they always have the trans person in as a killer or something. They had another episode where the transwoman was convicted and died in lockup.

cadcad
11-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I saw it on megaupload. Pretty good job of representing trans youth and also involving it intrinsically in the storyline. No idea why they always have the trans person in as a killer or something. They had another episode where the transwoman was convicted and died in lockup.

Is that the one where it was a teenage girl who killed a guy in the bathroom who found out she had a penis?

If so she just got beat to hell and gangraped not killed. Not like that's a much better ending but certainly one of the most likely scenarios putting a passable young girl in an all male prison.

nohj68
11-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Anything with Mariska Hargitay is worth watching.