PDA

View Full Version : Why Steve Spurrier is DA MAN!

Silcc69
09-27-2009, 03:03 AM
When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, "is Ray Goff still the head coach there?"

Insulted Florida State University as Free Shoes University (after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes).

Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee "You can't spell Citrus without UT" and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP"

in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC. Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying; "But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!"

Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as Ray Goof;

Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying; "How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?"

When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said; "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama"; But then he immediately added the punch: "Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours." (in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s)

Responded to a question of;Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?; at a South Carolina alumni meeting with ; "The same way Vanderbilt did."

Chuck
09-27-2009, 03:11 AM
His most classic quotes came during his two years with the Redskins. Here in D.C. we still miss the ole ball coach.

Thatiger23
09-27-2009, 03:13 AM
His most classic quotes came during his two years with the Redskins. Here in D.C. we still miss the ole ball coach.

he was good but GIBBS WAS A GREATER COACH!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck
09-27-2009, 03:22 AM

Oh...no argument here. Just pointing out that the ole ball coach made up in entertainment value what he lacked in wins and losses in the NFL. He was never boring and we loved that.

Thus far Jim Zorn has a 500 record as a coach. Not bad compared to the ole ball coach. But here in D.C. we hate him and want him gone. He's killing us with boredom.

Thatiger23
09-27-2009, 03:54 AM

Oh...no argument here. Just pointing out that the ole ball coach made up in entertainment value what he lacked in wins and losses in the NFL. He was never boring and we loved that.

Thus far Jim Zorn has a 500 record as a coach. Not bad compared to the ole ball coach. But here in D.C. we hate him and want him gone. He's killing us with boredom.

I live right near DC and ME and alot of other skins fans are ok with ZORN. he hasnt been in the NFL long so give him some time

Chuck
09-27-2009, 04:05 AM

I live right near DC and ME and alot of other skins fans are ok with ZORN. he hasnt been in the NFL long so give him some time

He's a career 500 coach at best. But being Redskins coach has got to be one of the hardest jobs in sports, which is why the ole ball coach bailed when he did. Sadly, they will lose tomorrow to the Lions.

lumberjack
09-27-2009, 06:48 AM

He's a career 500 coach at best. But being Redskins coach has got to be one of the hardest jobs in sports, which is why the ole ball coach bailed when he did. Sadly, they will lose tomorrow to the Lions.

Any Redskin fan can tell you, it's not Zorn/Gibbs/Spurrier's fault. It's the ineptitude of 'The Danny'. He and his flunkie Vinny Cerrato have driven the franchise into the ground.

SugaSweet
09-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Silcc,it still gripes me to the core that he would have went to Tennessee instead of Florida if UT did not run that g*d damned single wing bullshit in the mid 60's.He was from Johnson City,Tn about two hours from Knoxville.I do not think he will ever win an SEC or national championship at South Carolina,but he will win 8 or 9 games there every year,which is an accomplishment.