PDA

View Full Version : For the Brit girls.. Question reguarding sizes...

FREEFALLL666
09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
HOW do you measure yourself for skirts? Is there any decent guides for sizing yourself by your measurement??

SammiValentine
09-25-2009, 06:16 PM
It kinda varies wherever you google or ask in shops dependent on what range of skirt etc..

I usually work on a very rough basis of waist as :-

26 Inches (UK Size 8)
28 Inches (UK Size 10)
30 Inches (UK Size 12)
32 Inches (UK Size 14)

SarahG
09-25-2009, 08:37 PM
HOW do you measure yourself for skirts??

I'm not British but...

You're going to want to know the circumference of the girl's waist, and her hips. Of these the waist measurement is the most important.

The diagram pretty much shows how to do it, notice how they're measuring the waist where its smallest... and the hips where its widest (by measuring here you're also measuring the girl's butt). If you want the skirt to sit lower than the girl's natural waist you'll have to measure her waist at a lower spot.

As to sizing... you really want to take those two measurements (waist and hips) and compare them to the brand/shop's OWN size-chart. Pretty much everywhere anymore- companies are inconsistent in how they make their size-charts because so many stores try to make heavier girls feel good by saying an 10 is a 8 etc. And it gets all the more complicated from there if you're buying antique or vintage clothes because then you also have to worry about how sizing systems have changed over the years.

So what you can do is ignore sizes altogether and simply use a tailor tape to see what the skirt's waist measurement is. Simply measure across the skirt at the waist while its laying flat and then double the measurement (i.e. 13 inches across the waist = 26 inch waist).