PDA

View Full Version : Google going after Craigslist?

NYCe
10-26-2005, 05:36 AM
http://base.google.com/ <----Down at the moment

Google Base is Google's database into which you can add all types of content. We'll host your content and make it searchable online for free.

Examples of items you can find in Google Base:

• Description of your party planning service
• Articles on current events from your website
• Listing of your used car for sale
• Database of protein structures

You can describe any item you post with attributes, which will help people find it when they search Google Base. In fact, based on the relevance of your items, they may also be included in the main Google search index and other Google products like Froogle and Google Local.

Just what does Google have in mind? The last sentence there really speaks to what they're after: eBay, Craigslist, and classified ads. Users will be able upload all kinds of items for sale, and you'll be able to geo-locate them, compare them, and search them via Google. Think about it. When using eBay or Craigslist, how often do you think "I wish I could search this with Google"? Recall, too, that Google has a payments service in the works.

Somebody better warn all the girls in the ERS section

:shock:

Ecstatic
10-26-2005, 05:39 AM
No surprise there. Google is also going after the publishing industry, indexing huge libraries (like Harvard U) without much regard copyright.

Bill Gates must be losing sleep....

Overlord Abomination
10-26-2005, 06:29 AM
God I wish i found google. I'd be rich as shit and typing to everyone from my own private island, I'd buy a European country and Be a tyrant.

lol @ Ecstatic, Bill gates never loses sleep, He's so fuckin rich! A cheap bastard also. He's only giving his kids like 1% (Might be less) of his fortune, But theyre still gonna have a shitload of cash.

Ecstatic
10-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Overlord, I see you picked up on the sarcasm in my post. Google does have quite a business model, mmm? As in index copyrighted literature so that you can post ads around the search results. Money for nothing, chicks for free....

jt money
10-26-2005, 05:42 PM
lol @ Ecstatic, Bill gates never loses sleep, He's so fuckin rich! A cheap bastard also. He's only giving his kids like 1% (Might be less) of his fortune, But theyre still gonna have a shitload of cash.

Yeah, no shit. Last I heard it was 5% but that is still $2 Billion. Not a bad trust fund!

Kramer
10-26-2005, 05:44 PM
I knew Google was going public with its stock. I believe it opened at $35 a share. I told my wife to contact our financial analyst. I wanted to invest $150,000 into Google, but the analyst dont like to buy individual stocks! He claims too much risk and volatility. I was pissed. Now I think Google is at $190 a share. What a missed opportunity, huh? :shock: :evil:

NYCe
10-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Google
Price: 353.77
(as of Wed Oct 26 2005 11:46 EDT)

Not adding salt to the wound but that $150,000 would be quite a mint right now :(

Kramer
10-26-2005, 05:53 PM
No, is it really that high? I stopped following it after we didnt buy it. I had no idea its that high! Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackAdder
10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Screw your analyst....is takes 5 mins to go online and buy shares of stock, 20 mins by phone....

Financial managers = waste of life

My grandparents lost half a mil because there "ANALyst" didnt want to pull out before the tech market crashed.....

Kramer
10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
hey I'd like to dump the guy, but my wife dont want to. He does manage our accounts well though. He just fucked up on this one. We do have steady growth. What pisses me off is that no one listened to me. :(

Overlord Abomination
10-26-2005, 08:23 PM

Yeah, no shit. Last I heard it was 5% but that is still $2 Billion. Not a bad trust fund!

Rich Bastards

Overlord Abomination
10-27-2005, 05:38 AM
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT.........WHATS THE BOTTOM LINE OF THIS POST....

Bill gates has money and he doesnt care about anything but his own cash...Or at least thats What im aiming towords

Kramer
10-27-2005, 05:44 AM
Bill Gates donates half his earnings every year.

Ecstatic
10-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Sorry to hear your misfortune on that one, Kramer. Almost as sorry as my not having any money to invest in such options when they were viable. Your avatar looks particularly apt to the question at hand!

Best Internet deal I know of: a guy I know registered a slew of brand names as domain names way back in 1992...within two years, he had companies like Coca-Cola paying him a quarter million dollars for the rights to the domain names! Made a nice little nest egg investing in something almost unknown at the time.

Even closer to home, I started out as a web developer back when seanchai launched SMY. Unfortunately, I lack his foresight and worked for a software company, making a decent salary while seanchai built the net's premiere TS sites. Kudos to those who have the vision to get into the game at the right time!

beatmaker
10-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Damn, the broker royally fucked up. That Google stock was a no-brainer. Shyt, if I didn't have most of my saving tied up in a business I'm starting, I would of jumped on that with the swiftness. Dude, I think you need a E-Trade account on the side, just for a rainy day trade.

Kramer
10-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Dude, I think you need a E-Trade account on the side, just for a rainy day trade.

Too late for that. That opportunity wont be around again for awhile. :(