PDA

View Full Version : Sharing

kalina
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Okay, so some of you might know I write a little soapbox blog on everything in my life. Today's topic is on sharing. Let me know your thoughts.

I tried teaching the concept of sharing food to my sister-in-law and nine-year-old nephew. They didn't get it. When you share food, especially Chinese food, you place the dishes you order in the center of the table so everyone has a chance to take a little bit of each dish. Some of you might call that "family style." That way, you order just enough rather than too much food because leftovers never taste as good as fresh food. I brought out plates and silverware for everyone. When we got our delivery, my sister-in-law proceeded to chow down on what she ordered. My wife gently elbowed her and tried to explain the sharing concept to her and then she repeatedly asked my wife and I if we wanted any of her dish after she ate from it! I thought that was disgusting. What a dope! My sister-in-law has been to banquet-style restaurants before. She's part Italian, lived in the city, and is a few years older than us, so she should know these things! There's a lot to be said about families who know how to share food. It teaches a lot of concepts, including togetherness, patience, fairness, and downplays a greedy, competitive, territorial attitude. I don't know about you, but when I grew up, whenever my family or friends came to visit my house, I went out of my way to make sure they got to play with my toys and were entertained. I go to my nephew's house and I see him playing his Wii and never once does he ask me if I'd like to join in the videogame fun. I blame the parents for letting their kids grow up to be such selfish assholes. • Besides family-style-sharing, there are two more important sharing concepts most people fail to grasp and if you master all of these sharing concepts, you will be loved and appreciated by your mate to no end. If the person you're with is set in her ways, she won't understand, so explain it like this. Going to a restaurant doesn't have to be an expensive affair unless you're going out on a date and trying to impress her. If you're going with your family, a kid is not going to eat as much as an adult, so one entree can be split among two kids. Your wife shouldn't eat as much as you and if you want to lose weight, one entree can be split among the two of you also. Some of you might find this frugal, but I would rather be frugal and not waste food than dump the uneaten portion of an entree and, trust me, leftovers eaten the next day really don't taste better than food that is fresh. There is no shame in having the waiter bring extra plates to divvy the entrees. I've seen a family of four share one bowl of beef noodle soup meant for one. They just ordered a couple of appetizers to eat with it. The couples that stay together the longest and the families that fight the least are the ones that know how to share. The second sharing concept is the-great-divide as in "Everyone orders a plate and let's each divide our entrees by the number of people in the restaurant party, so three people ordering three plates would get one-third of every entree. This works out well for dinners where you want to try a little bit of everything instead of limiting yourself to one boring entree. This also works out well if you feel like stuffing yourself. The-great-divide works in restaurants where the portions are anything but small. The third sharing concept is breakfast-breaking as in "I'm not that hungry. It's breakfast and I just need a small bite to eat" where two girls share one entree for economical reasons and because they're watching their weight. Very few genetic girls clean their plates like it's their last meal on earth and there's absolutely no logical reason why any woman should be able to eat an entire breakfast by herself. I'm sorry, but women just don't. If you understand breakfast-breaking, you will look more like two girls eating in a restaurant rather than two guys dressed as women stuffing themselves. Breakfast-breaking works in every restaurant that's not a fine dining establishment. In an ideal world, everyone would be sharing, very little food would be wasted, and more money would be saved.

yodajazz
09-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Thank for sharing, your good advice.

TheGuard
09-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I think it's actually the inverse of what you're espousing above to go family style. Someone can't be decisive about their order, they have a greed within them to sample all dishes, never satisfied. Suppose the only Chinese dish someone likes is lo-mien, and everyone else orders food said person doesn't have a taste for? Sharing is one thing, but a feeling of entitlement to another persons order? That assumption is the opposite of a sharing attitude.

Alyssa87
09-01-2009, 02:33 AM
i was with you until you got to the part about not clearing your plate.

ALYSSA EATS!

I dont know if thats the y chromosome kicking in, or just the fat bitch in me.

BLKGSXR
09-01-2009, 02:38 AM

ALYSSA EATS!

I dont know if thats the y chromosome kicking in, or just the fat bitch in me.dangles pastries.... come and get em fatty Lmfao kidding. :lol:

Alyssa87
09-01-2009, 02:40 AM
post pics of the pastries.

and Kalina, post pics of what you had that night.

uuh- please.

BLKGSXR
09-01-2009, 02:41 AM

uuh- please.nuh uh I sent it via...txt

icarus2112
09-01-2009, 02:45 AM
I agree with you Kalina, especially at Chinese restaurants, its part of the whole experience, a family favorite has the huge lazy susan in the middle of the table and once the entrees are placed in the center you just spin it around and get a taste of everything.

lol Alyssa "fat bitch in me"

BLKGSXR
09-01-2009, 02:57 AM

uuh- please.since you said please...Ya fat little girl :lol:
I love how I can get free donutz lmfao-but wont eat em.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/XZIBIT07/PIC_0013.jpg

Alyssa87
09-01-2009, 03:05 AM
http://forums.dieselstation.com/style_emoticons/default/drool3.gif

kalina
09-01-2009, 03:24 AM
I think it's actually the inverse of what you're espousing above to go family style. Someone can't be decisive about their order, they have a greed within them to sample all dishes, never satisfied. Suppose the only Chinese dish someone likes is lo-mien, and everyone else orders food said person doesn't have a taste for? Sharing is one thing, but a feeling of entitlement to another persons order? That assumption is the opposite of a sharing attitude.

You're right, but I'm assuming that everyone agrees with what everyone else is ordering. If everyone else is ordering pigs's feet, cow's stomach, and strange stuff like that, then the lo mein will surely look good.

kalina
09-01-2009, 03:27 AM

ALYSSA EATS!

I dont know if thats the y chromosome kicking in, or just the fat bitch in me.

It's the Y, because if you're fat, then most everyone else is a whale :)

peggygee
09-01-2009, 03:45 AM
I agree, sharing is caring.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xUJEAJSBL.jpg

And does teach important life lessons.

kalina
09-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Kalina, post pics of what you had that night.

uuh- please.

Most of it was devoured, but here's what we had with my sister-in-law and nephew on Saturday:

* chicken with mixed vegetables with garlic sauce
* chicken and cashews with mixed vegetables
* pork in Peking sauce

Here's what I had with my family (mom, dad, brothers) at Ocean City restaurant in Philly on Sunday:

* chicken with mixed vegetables
* pork, salty fish, and tofu
* filet mignon in Peking sauce
* sweet and sour fried grouper (frickin' awesome!)
* chicken and greens with fried noodles

Normally, we'd get a dish with two lobsters, another with shrimp and walnuts in cream sauce (you're part Chinese, so you must know this awesome dish!), and a whole Peking duck, but... my mother has this weird belief that after major surgery (such as eye surgery), you shouldn't eat shellfish or game meats for about a month because of the toxins in them. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but it makes some sense to me.

I normally have my camera with me and take pics of me, my family, and everything I eat, but this weekend was a bit kooky since we have a newborn. Don't worry, next time, next time!

Are you into haute cuisine? One of my fave restaurants is Morimoto. Here are some pics:

Alyssa87
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
that sounds great. mmm
thank you for doing that. i'm so weird about knowing what ppl eat.

and the pics of morimoto are beautiful.
ALMOST too beautiful to eat.

im not into haute cuisine. its just not part of my dumpy lifestyle. maybe in a few years.

kalina
09-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Today for lunch I had Vietnamese Pork Chop from a takeout place. The red stuff is kind of spicy, but good.

Alyssa87
09-02-2009, 03:41 AM
looks scary

but i want it

BLKGSXR
09-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Today for lunch I had Vietnamese Pork Chop from a takeout place. The red stuff is kind of spicy, but good.pho is better :P
then come beef panang if you've ever had it-thai but mm mm good :D

dderek123
09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Hey Kalina,
I really enjoyed your post! I have been living in Asia for a while now and I very much prefer the "sharing" style of eating. It's much more social and for the most part people tend to watch what they eat more carefully because their friends are eating from the same plate. The best meal I would say for sharing is Korean BBQ but sometimes it turns into a game of dueling chopsticks to get the best piece of pork! But usually that is settled after a few bottles of soju!
Could you post a link to your blog? I would like to read more.

kalina
09-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey Kalina,
I really enjoyed your post! I have been living in Asia for a while now and I very much prefer the "sharing" style of eating. It's much more social and for the most part people tend to watch what they eat more carefully because their friends are eating from the same plate. The best meal I would say for sharing is Korean BBQ but sometimes it turns into a game of dueling chopsticks to get the best piece of pork! But usually that is settled after a few bottles of soju!
Could you post a link to your blog? I would like to read more.

Thanks!
Here's my blog. Some people might find it boring because I talk about food and photography so much, but these are my passions. :) Like the sharing blog, there are (or were) other tidbits of wisdom in it. I have to keep trimming the page to keep it a manageable size. Entries earlier than what you see are on www.kalinaisato.com (my subscription site).

http://www.transvamp.com/kalina/blog/

kalina
09-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Today's culinary delight.... Jamaican-style oxtail with rice and peas and cabbage and carrots.

Alyssa87
09-02-2009, 05:27 PM
one of my faaavorites.

mm. im jealous.

dderek123
09-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Today's culinary delight.... Jamaican-style oxtail with rice and peas and cabbage and carrots.

I am sorry but that looks revolting!
I'd rather have deep fried crickets anyday! (j/k)

How did it taste?

BLKGSXR
09-06-2009, 08:53 AM

How did it taste?dude firstly may I say Loving the avatar- Then Id have to totally co-sign with you that does not look appealing at all.

dderek123
09-06-2009, 09:18 AM

How did it taste?dude firstly may I say Loving the avatar- Then Id have to totally co-sign with you that does not look appealing at all.

Cheers, thanks. I found it at this link right here

http://acidcow.com/fun/3226-acid_picdump_103_pics.html

I'm curious as to what it actually tastes like. I have tried some pretty gnarly things at the dinner table though. I've actually eaten live octopus and it tastes delicious!

kalina
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM

How did it taste?

It actually tastes a lot like stew beef. The brown gravy makes it. There's not that much meat on each piece, unfortunately.

If you like Vietnamese pho (beef noodle soup), one of the ingredients is supposed to be oxtail, but not all pho places use it.