PDA

View Full Version : Disney Buying Marvel for $4 Billion!

Silcc69
08-31-2009, 05:50 PM
http://money.aol.com/article/disney-buying-marvel-for-4-billion/647124

AP
posted: 1 HOUR 38 MINUTES AGOPrintShareText SizeAAALOS ANGELES (Aug. 31) - The Walt Disney Co. said Monday it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.
Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including favorites such as the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.
Disney said Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash, plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own. That values each Marvel share at $50 based on Friday's closing stock prices.
Marvel shares jumped $10.09, or 26 percent, to $48.74 in trading before the market opened. Disney shares fell 70 cents, or 2.6 percent, to $26.14.
Disney said the boards of both companies have approved the transaction, but it will require an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.
Disney CEO Robert Iger said the acquisition combines Marvel's "strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters" with Disney's "unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties" and ability to maximize value across multiple platforms and territories.

shemale-411
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Fuck. There went my morning.

bte
08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Was Marvel having financial troubles or something? That sucks!

rockabilly
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh well , there goes the neighborhood.

kalina
08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
When I was a little kid, there were four big cartoon entities (Disney, Looney Tunes, Marvel, and DC) and one of them was always evil to me.... Disney. That pompous little mouse who seemed to mellow out to be some Christian do-gooder after his Steamboat Willie days always got on my nerves. Bugs Bunny had such powerful humour. Mickey Mouse was just boring, like watching my grandmother play mah jongg.

I never could see Disney sucking up Marvel. What's next? DC? Looney Tunes?

Iori
08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I swear if I see a Wolverine Micky mouse team-up. I'm
gonna fucking rage. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

bte
08-31-2009, 07:39 PM
When I was a little kid, there were four big cartoon entities (Disney, Looney Tunes, Marvel, and DC) and one of them was always evil to me.... Disney. That pompous little mouse who seemed to mellow out to be some Christian do-gooder after his Steamboat Willie days always got on my nerves. Bugs Bunny had such powerful humour. Mickey Mouse was just boring, like watching my grandmother play mah jongg.

Mah Jong is actually pretty sweet. LoL...but I don't like Disney. I always got the feeling that Disney was a little bit racist.

kalina
08-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Mah Jong is actually pretty sweet. LoL...but I don't like Disney. I always got the feeling that Disney was a little bit racist.

Looney Tunes was, too, but they've "cleaned up their act" by no longer releasing the racist cartoons and editing familiar episodes of Bugs Bunny.

bte
08-31-2009, 07:49 PM

Looney Tunes was, too, but they've "cleaned up their act" by no longer releasing the racist cartoons and editing familiar episodes of Bugs Bunny.

Yeah I forgot about Looney Tunes, but it was nothing on the scale of Disney. Let's just hope that DC doesn't get taken over by Disney. I bet that in the near future we will see a CGI movie of some Marvel character, since Disney is known for doing CGI movies.

rockabilly
08-31-2009, 07:56 PM
And i was hoping for a Marvel Zombies animated feature ... but now that Marvel is in the House of Mouse , i dont think it will happen.

kalina
08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah I forgot about Looney Tunes, but it was nothing on the scale of Disney. Let's just hope that DC doesn't get taken over by Disney. I bet that in the near future we will see a CGI movie of some Marvel character, since Disney is known for doing CGI movies.

The big questions I have is what is going to happen to Stan Lee? Is he still to still appear in every Marvel movie? What the hell is going to happen to Spiderman 4 as a result? Are we going to see obnoxious Mickey Mouse ads hidden in the film? Did Stan Lee and the current board just decide that everyone should retire on the $4 bil? Did Disney buy Marvel just so it can squash it? A $76 bil company sees a $4 bil company as a blip on its radar.

bte
08-31-2009, 08:02 PM

The big questions I have is what is going to happen to Stan Lee? Is he still to still appear in every Marvel movie? What the hell is going to happen to Spiderman 4 as a result? Are we going to see obnoxious Mickey Mouse ads hidden in the film? Did Stan Lee and the current board just decide that everyone should retire on the $4 bil? Did Disney buy Marvel just so it can squash it? A $76 bil company sees a $4 bil company as a blip on its radar.

That is what I am wondering, why all of a sudden Disney buys out Marvel? Perhaps Disney wanted to expand its position in the superhero movie market place? Perhaps Stan Lee is getting up there in age and wanted to make sure that the people associated with his company will be well off. I wonder if Disney will try to change some things to make it Disney friendly.

rockabilly
08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Marvel almost went under years ago , what saved them was their box office success w/ X-Men and Spider-Man. You can count on seeing Mickey Mouse and other Disney properties in all future Marvel films. Can't you just see Captain America handing a war orphan a Mickey Mouse doll.

hippifried
08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Didn't they already snag Warner animation with Roger Rabbit? Warner had already swallowed up Loony Toons. Disney's truying to grab control of fun. They've been at it for a while. Can anybody think of Davy Crockett without visualizing Fess Parker? Who did the Hulk movies? Where's the dark side of Peter Parker? Spiderman didn't start off as a hero you know.

Marvel's been trying to disnify themselves for years now. It was just a matter of time before they sold out. They lost their humanity & therefore their edge. What made marvel different was that the heros weren't heros. They were victims of happenstance trying to muddle through. They deliberately turned them into superheros with a higher moral position. Now they're just Mickey Mouse.

tsntx
08-31-2009, 10:31 PM
wow.. thats odd.... there go most of the comic characters i ever liked

shemale-411
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
This and finding out Speilberg and Will Smith are redoing "Old Boy" has ruined August!

bte
09-01-2009, 12:35 AM
This and finding out Speilberg and Will Smith are redoing "Old Boy" has ruined August!

Why redo a classic film like Oldboy? Hollywood is fucking up!

shemale-411
09-01-2009, 12:37 AM
$peilberg and $mith

Willie Escalade
09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Even though those old Looney Tunes cartoons could get racist, they were still the best. I know all of you would recognize at least ONE character below...and the episode they appeared in!

I too hope they don't "Disney-fy" the Marvel comics. :(

kalina
09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Even though those old Looney Tunes cartoons could get racist, they were still the best. I know all of you would recognize at least ONE character below...and the episode they appeared in!

I've seen all these characters except the green martian.

rameses2
09-01-2009, 01:57 AM

I've seen all these characters except the green martian.His name is Yob. Accidentally sent to an Earth family by the "Space Stork"(?). He was an inventor and freaked out his human parents, until they got their own son back.

Ecstatic
09-01-2009, 02:40 AM
Well Warner Bros acquired DC waaay back in 1969, yet the early 70s saw the release of Jack Kirby's Fourth World series which, while often imitated, have never been equalled.

I doubt that Disney cares much about the comics per se; they are already appealing to about as large a market as they can (everyone who's into comics is into comics already). It's the movies that Disney wants, given the huge success of Spider-Man, Iron Man, and others.

CaptainGeech
09-01-2009, 02:54 AM
Wow. Well you guys better buy that memorabilia and other products now. Once its in Disney's control they will hold on to it tighter than a dolphins asshole. It will be put away in there vault until they are ready to sell it. At a premium price of course. Convenient how that works out for them... cause it could have gone either way :shrug :roll:

Silcc69
09-01-2009, 04:09 AM
For the record this is how shitty Disney is. Now Buena Vista (owned by Disney) actually owns the rights to the X-Men and Spiderman cartoons from the 90's. They just released bare bones episode of X-Men from the 90's. No retransfer or anything just a lazy ass job to one of the best cartoons of the 90's.

rockabilly
09-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Somewhere the cryogenically frozen head of Walt Disney is cracking a smile.

Baron Of Hell
09-01-2009, 05:21 AM
For the record this is how shitty Disney is. Now Buena Vista (owned by Disney) actually owns the rights to the X-Men and Spiderman cartoons from the 90's. They just released bare bones episode of X-Men from the 90's. No retransfer or anything just a lazy ass job to one of the best cartoons of the 90's.

The Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and the Xmen from recent years were pretty good. I don't think the second seasons of spectacular spider-man aired in the US though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX5zwNNuEZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bER4Pj-VxYs

TomSelis
09-01-2009, 06:49 AM
*shudders*

Quiet Reflections
09-01-2009, 07:10 AM
They wont fuck with Marvel after they buy it. I'm sure it will be run as a separate entity. Its worth to much to go and start changing things since I'm sure they know how much fan boys spend and that they are very picky with how they like their comics and movies. Its not like this is the first thing Disney has purchased, Miramax and Espn run with little interference as do a lot of the other companies they own. I do think this sounds like a terrible movie plot.

runamok
09-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Very smart move by Disney. They have now addressed an area that Disney has been always weak in--young boys. Disney has a shelf life that usually expires in young boys around Power Ranger age 8+. Now they got instant sex appeal in that particular demographic.

I've always admired Disney's animation division. Even if I didn't care for the subject matter, their toons have always been beautiful with top shelf voice acting. Now imagine Pixar jumping on Spidey, the FF, Avengers or gawd help us Howard the Duck. Imagine a regular Ghost Rider series with Disney budget--It's gonna be noice!

I think Disney will be hands off the comics, because they really went after was the Marvel universe IP's to expand into that sweet sweet Iron/Spidey movie franchise.

Also, DC is owned by Warner Bros and Disney will never acquire them. Though I hear Superman "might" be iffy for them. Wouldn't it be a dick move for Disney to buy Superman. Total dick move.

Quiet Reflections
09-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Wow. Well you guys better buy that memorabilia and other products now. Once its in Disney's control they will hold on to it tighter than a dolphins asshole. It will be put away in there vault until they are ready to sell it. At a premium price of course. Convenient how that works out for them... cause it could have gone either way :shrug :roll:
That wont happen because they would lose to much money and pretty much shut down all the comic cons alienating their target audience. Plus only films made by Walt Disney Animation Studio go in the "Vault"

runamok
09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
That wont happen because they would lose to much money and pretty much shut down all the comic cons alienating their target audience. Plus only films made by Walt Disney Animation Studio go in the "Vault"

Hmmm now that you mention the comi-Cons, I expect Disney/Marvel to have a HUGE presence at all future comi-Cons from here on out. I think we're about to enter the ridiculous stage at future comi-Cons.