PDA

View Full Version : How the word faggot can get you 75 years in the pen

alex_c
08-29-2009, 03:54 AM
It's been thirteen months since Bobby Singleton savagely beat a gay man in Dallas, Texas, leaving his victim bloodied and barely conscious. Oak Lawn resident Jimmy Dean now suffers from a broken back, facial disfigurement, chronic pain, and no sense of smell. He was punched and stomped repeatedly at gunpoint, and his wallet was stolen. Singleton and his accomplice screamed anti-gay epithets during the attack.

Today the instigator of this hate crime has been sentenced to 75 years in prison.

From Dallas Morning News: That's 15 years more than prosecutors requested and more than twice the sentence of his accomplice... Dean wiped tears from his eyes after State District Judge Ernie White read the sentence. But Singleton, who inflicted most of the damage to Dean, showed no visible reaction... He also said the verdict gives him "faith in people" and said the days are gone when criminals received a lesser sentence because the victim is gay. "This sets a precedence for anything like this that happens," Dean said. "Maybe this will set a standard for anybody, no matter what your sexual orientation is, a violent crime is a violent crime."

Earlier Thursday, Singleton, who will eligible for parole in 30 years, testified in an attempt to persuade jurors to give him a lighter sentence. Singleton repeatedly called the attack "a fight," but there is no evidence that Dean ever threw a punch. Singleton said he and his friend Jonathan Gunter, who was sentenced to 30 years in prison, did not attack Dean because he was gay. But in his confession to police, Singleton had said: "We figured they would be easier targets because [there] are a lot of homosexuals around the area." ...He also defended his use of the word "faggot," saying that was a word you would say to anyone during a fight. (Homobigots might say that during a fight. But this wasn't a fight. It was a vicious assault.)

At one point during the trial, Singleton wept as his father testified that an unhappy home life might have led to his son's behavior. Prosecutor Amy Derrick observed that Singleton was only crying because he was going to prison. In closing arguments, she placed a photo of Dean's brutalized body in front of Singleton and said, "Look at your handiwork. See if you can squeeze out a tear for someone other than yourself."

Toward the end of the trial, Dallas County jurors heard a recorded phone call Singleton made to an unidentified woman in which he sneered, "I'll say I'm a faggot, too. Let 'em prove I ain't gay."

Have a stimulating time behind bars, Mr. Singleton.

http://www.progressivepuppy.com/the_progressive_puppy/2009/08/texas-gay-basher-gets-75-years.html

Silcc69
08-29-2009, 04:06 AM
DAmn that's harsh there murderers that don't get 30.

Dirky
08-29-2009, 04:17 AM

It's a great wake-up call that hate crimes will not be tolerated, though.

Paladin
08-29-2009, 04:34 AM
He certainly deseves his sentence.

That's why i use the word faggit! :wink:

sunairco
08-29-2009, 05:24 AM
I sure hope this POS gets some alternate lifestyle training during his tenure in prison.

Karma can be a real bitch.

hippifried
08-29-2009, 05:59 AM
The punk'll learn to like it.

loren
08-29-2009, 06:55 AM
I sure hope this POS gets some alternate lifestyle training during his tenure in prison.

Karma can be a real bitch.Ya, looks like "Bubba" has a new bitch. :lol:

SarahG
08-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Rape isn't any more justifiable in prison than it is in public.

If something is truly wrong, its wrong everywhere.

tsntx
08-29-2009, 07:37 AM

there are murderer's that get less then 5 .... i believe 5yrs is the avg for most ppls 1rst murder conviction

this is an absurb amount of time ... comparitivly... not unjust

to the op: u trying to tell me something cuz i keep calling you a fag over in that club kid thread?

tsntx
08-29-2009, 07:38 AM

woah there common sense who invited you to the party?

lol ;)

BLKGSXR
08-29-2009, 07:44 AM

there are murderer's that get less then 5 .... i believe 5yrs is the avg for most ppls 1rst murder conviction

this is an absurb amount of time ... comparitivly... not unjust

to the op: u trying to tell me something cuz i keep calling you a fag over in that club kid thread?CO-muthafucking-signed.

SarahG
08-29-2009, 07:46 AM

woah there common sense who invited you to the party?

lol ;)

lol, who said I was invited?

Sometimes...you just have to go crashing them.

alex_c
08-29-2009, 08:25 AM
to the op: u trying to tell me something cuz i keep calling you a fag over in that club kid thread?
Naw, see if I ever wanna send you a message, ill let these guys know :wink: capiche

tsntx
08-29-2009, 08:44 AM
that what? i use the word fag or faggot?

i use it on the show too, mary

CaptainGeech
08-29-2009, 08:53 AM
He's an asshole that deserves to go to jail. But that verdict is fucking retarded (no offense to the mentally challenged). Those jurors need to go watch that episode of South Park regarding hate crimes. They are bullshit. Almost all crimes are hate related in some way. Just because the victim is black or gay doesn't make it worse. For an assault like that he should have been given 7-10 years. He should also have to pay the victim the majority of his income for the rest of there lives. The court system is a fucking joke. :banghead

tsntx
08-29-2009, 09:24 AM
^agree^

2009AD
08-29-2009, 09:44 AM
He's an asshole that deserves to go to jail. But that verdict is fucking retarded (no offense to the mentally challenged). Those jurors need to go watch that episode of South Park regarding hate crimes. They are bullshit. Almost all crimes are hate related in some way. Just because the victim is black or gay doesn't make it worse. For an assault like that he should have been given 7-10 years. He should also have to pay the victim the majority of his income for the rest of there lives. The court system is a fucking joke. :banghead

1. This was a jury in Texas. Why can't you respect their decision as jurors?

2. 7 to 10 years? So you claim to know what each crime merits in terms of punishment?

3. Texas has no hate crime law that applies to gays. It was the stupid mother fucker's phone conversations that probably made jurors say, "oh so this guy thinks it's funny to see his victim's nose dangling? Let's give him something to laugh about."

Man convicted of attacking gay man in Oak Lawn

In the phone call recording, Singleton and the woman laughed about how Dean's "nose was dangling."

12:00 AM CDT on Thursday, August 27, 2009

By JENNIFER EMILY / The Dallas Morning News
jemily@dallasnews.com

A robber who uttered epithets as he beat a gay man in Oak Lawn laughed about the brutal assault in jail phone calls while awaiting trial and said he would pretend to be gay so authorities couldn't say he attacked his victim because of his sexual orientation.

Dallas County jurors convicted Bobby Singleton of aggravated robbery Wednesday and later heard the recordings of the phone call from jail during the punishment phase of his trial.

"[I'll] say I'm a faggot, too," Singleton said in the call to an unidentified woman. "Let 'em prove I ain't gay."

He then spoke about how he and his friend Jonathan Gunter beat Jimmy Dean in July 2008 as Dean walked home. Gunter has been convicted and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Dean said Singleton inflicted more damage than Gunter by kicking him in the face.

There is no criminal charge in Texas for a hate crime, but it can be used to enhance punishment.

Dallas County prosecutors did not do so in this case because Singleton already faces the maximum punishment – life in prison.

Jurors, though, have heard through witnesses and Singleton's own words that the attack was based on sexual orientation. Dallas police also classified the assault and robbery as a hate crime.

"We figured they would be easier targets because their [sic] are a lot of homosexuals around the area," Singleton wrote in his confession to Dallas police, which was admitted into evidence.

In the phone call recording, Singleton and the woman laughed about how Dean's "nose was dangling." Singleton says he called Dean "you punk [expletive]" and stomped him two or three times.

The woman told Dean that he went too far. "You did too much," she said. "You just went and didn't stop."

Also on Wednesday, Dean testified about the impact of the beating on his life. He suffered a broken back, jaw and chin in the attack. He doesn't have a sense of smell, and the look of his face is forever changed.

Dean said that if he has to walk down the street where he was beaten, he walks down the middle of the road.

Just before the attack, he was recording a demo and was hoping local clubs would play the songs. But he's no longer making music.

He's in pain all day, every day, he told jurors.

Dean said on the stand that he wants Singleton sent to prison.

He didn't say for how long, but he said in a previous interview that Singleton should get at least 60 years – double Gunter's sentence.

"I would like to see Mr. Singleton taken off the streets, taken out of society, so he can't hurt anyone else," Dean told the jury. "I do believe he is a danger to society."

Singleton's attorney, Ed "Bubba" King called one witness during the punishment phase. Singleton's father, Jeffrey Singleton, asked the jury to consider probation.

Jeffrey Singleton told jurors that although there has been no diagnosis, he believes his son has a bipolar disorder, which runs in their family.

Jeffrey Singleton also said that when his son was 6 months old, his mother abandoned him.

The elder Singleton said his son has seen his mother only five times since then. He said that the mother didn't pay child support and that the family struggled to make ends meet.

Jeffrey Singleton said his son had good grades in the seventh grade but dropped out in 10th grade. Jeffrey Singleton said he doesn't know why and said that his son may have been using drugs.

"I don't know why he's done what he's done with his life," he said.

Jeffrey Singleton also offered Dean an apology.

"I am sorry for what has happened to you," Jeffrey Singleton said from the witness stand. "My family is embarrassed, degraded."

Closing arguments for the punishment phase are expected today. Singleton, who does not have any felony convictions, faces probation to life in prison.

CaptainGeech
08-29-2009, 10:46 AM
1. Because they weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

2. Because I'm perfect and know everything. :P

3. Profit?

freak
08-29-2009, 11:32 AM

They admitted they singled him out because he was gay, he would be an easy target is what they said.
And no all crimes are not hate, learn what a hate crime is before you post.
If I rob a liquor store to get money that is not hate, if I go and beat up a black guy, Asian guy or gay guy because there different that is a hate crime.

7-10 years and he can go live a regular life, the guy he attacked will still be unable to because of the fun his attacker had that night. 75 years is a bit much but 25 would be fine.

2009AD
08-29-2009, 11:42 AM
They admitted they singled him out because he was gay, he would be an easy target is what they said.

Well said.

7-10 years and he can go live a regular life, the guy he attacked will still be unable to because of the fun his attacker had that night. 75 years is a bit much but 25 would be fine.

Prosecutors asked for 60 years. What is it with all this Monday morning quarterbacking on the jury's decision?

freak
08-29-2009, 11:59 AM

Well said.

Prosecutors asked for 60 years. What is it with all this Monday morning quarterbacking on the jury's decision?

So your 7-10 is Sunday game time? The Prosecutors just ask, they do not set the limit, the judge does. If the prosecutor asked for time served the judge should have to listen to it?

tsntx
08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
@ 2009ad

if a murder gets you 5yrs i dont feel something less than a murder should get you an obscene amount more

id like to see it straight across the board...

but i dont think you should get more time for not killing someone then u do for actually going the extra step

freak
08-29-2009, 12:58 PM
@ 2009ad

if a murder gets you 5yrs i dont feel something less than a murder should get you an obscene amount more

id like to see it straight across the board...

but i dont think you should get more time for not killing someone then u do for actually going the extra step

were does murder get 5 years? Maybe manslaughter, it you hit someone when you run a red light but not murder.

So as long as they don't die you shouldn't have to spend as much time in prison, so next time someone pisses me off I am going to make sure I just paralyze them, cut there spine so they will have to live on a machine for the rest of there life. At least there not dead, right? That is worse then death, maybe let them out of prison when the person walks again, then there both out of there prisons.

CaptainGeech
08-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Hate crimes are BS. That's just how I feel. Getting 10x the normal sentence because you say "nigger" or "fag" is just plain wrong. With that said I don't advocate those words, in fact I hate them. But having to serve more time than a pedophile murderer for an assault charge is fucked up.

"If I rob a liquor store to get money that is not hate Actually it is. You hate not having money and being poor. You hate the look your kids give you because they are hungry.

7-10 years and he can go live a regular life, the guy he attacked will still be unable to because of the fun his attacker had that night. That's why I added that he should have to give the victim the majority of his money for the rest of there lives. It doesn't make what he did OK but it does make the victims life a little more bearable.

freak
08-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Hate crimes are BS. That's just how I feel. Getting 10x the normal sentence because you say "nigger" or "fag" is just plain wrong. With that said I don't advocate those words, in fact I hate them. But having to serve more time than a pedophile murderer for an assault charge is fucked up.

"If I rob a liquor store to get money that is not hate Actually it is. You hate not having money and being poor. You hate the look your kids give you because they are hungry.

7-10 years and he can go live a regular life, the guy he attacked will still be unable to because of the fun his attacker had that night. That's why I added that he should have to give the victim the majority of his money for the rest of there lives. It doesn't make what he did OK but it does make the victims life a little more bearable.

So the KKK should only be charged with simple assault when the go out and beat a black man because he is black? Give them a slap on the wrist, pick up trash on a Saturday for there punishment and call it a day. If that is how you feel you are a idiot. So is it how you feel?

Your liquor store reply is just as stupid, no need to reply.

there is no way to make him give him any restitution, after 7 years it is no longer valid. Just like a few people I know had to pay restitution, they only had to pay legally for so many years, 7 if I remember right then it goes into a civil matter. Also they are only required to pay a %, they are still given enough to live on, so the guy that makes $10hr isn't going to give him much if any.

CaptainGeech
08-29-2009, 01:30 PM
So the KKK should only be charged with simple assault when the go out and beat a black man because he is black? Give them a slap on the wrist, pick up trash on a Saturday for there punishment and call it a day. If that is how you feel you are a idiot. So is it how you feel?

If all they did was a simple assault than yes that is the crime they should be charged with. If they used weapons... assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill should be the charge. As far as further punishment.... civil court should work. Ruin them financially. Or you can conveniently give there personal information (address, license plate number, job location, etc...) to some black militants and see what kind of actions they feel are appropriate.

So to answer your question... Yes, apparently I am indeed an idiot in your eyes.

2009AD
08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Freak and TSNTX:

Below are two items I found after a quickie google search. People convicted of rapes, aggravated assaults, kidnappings and other heinous crimes, other than murder, are sometimes sentenced to life or lengthy prison terms.

In the Texas case, the two assholes did not just punch the guy once and take his wallet. One of them claims that, by the time the beating ended, the victim's nose was dangling from his face. Trust me, I'm sure the jury saw the pictures of the bloodied victim, pictures we will never see.

Again, what I'm saying is each case, each jury, each defendant, each state is different. Severe sentence? Hell yea, but then again, what do you expect when you beat someone to the point were their nose almost gets ripped off their face?

Light Rail Kidnapper, Rapist Gets Life In Prison
Kiheem Taylor Sentenced To 2 Life Terms
POSTED: 4:54 pm EDT August 28, 2009

BALTIMORE -- One of two men who kidnapped a teenage couple from the Timonium Park and Ride parking lot last year will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

A Baltimore County judge sentenced Kiheem Taylor Friday to two life prison terms plus 100 years.

Police said Taylor and Brian Scott kidnapped the couple in October 2009, and after driving around trying get money using the teens' ATM cards, the suspects locked the boy in the truck and Taylor raped the girl.

Scott has pleaded guilty to his role in the attack and will be sentenced in October.

------------------------------------

Rapist Sentenced To 4 Life Terms
Victim Says She, Her Daughter Will 'Make It Through'

POSTED: Wednesday, August 26, 2009
UPDATED: 7:01 pm EDT August 26, 2009
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A convicted rapist faced his victim and a judge Wednesday to learn how long he will spend in prison.

Richard Edwards was convicted last month of breaking into a northwest Jacksonville home in July 2008, putting a gun to a woman's head and raping her. Police said the victim's 8-year-old daughter watched it happened.

Edwards, 23, faced up to life in prison for his conviction of two counts of kidnapping, sexual battery and home-invasion robbery.

At a sentencing hearing, the victim told Circuit Judge Mark Mahon that the assault changed her and her daughter’s lives.

freak
08-29-2009, 05:34 PM

If all they did was a simple assault than yes that is the crime they should be charged with. If they used weapons... assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill should be the charge. As far as further punishment.... civil court should work. Ruin them financially. Or you can conveniently give there personal information (address, license plate number, job location, etc...) to some black militants and see what kind of actions they feel are appropriate.

So to answer your question... Yes, apparently I am indeed an idiot in your eyes.

You didn't need to answer the question, it was a rictorical question, I already knew you were an idiot, now so do you.

2009AD, I already said I believed that he should be charged, I am happy with the 75 years but in my opinion it will get resentanced because it can be said it is excessive, I hope not but it may.

SarahG
08-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Almost all crimes are hate related in some way. Just because the victim is black or gay doesn't make it worse.

That's not really true; a hate crime is a crime where someone is targeted FOR their demographic membership. I.e. killing someone because they are black, or killing someone because they are gay, whatever.

The whole purpose of these types of crimes isn't just to kill someone, but to strike fear into everyone of the same demographic as the victim.

Its "I dragged this black guy by the back of my pickup truck, and dumped the body in front of a black cemetery so all the black people in the area will know their place."

Most murders are committed by someone the victim knows, and most of that time its a friend or relative (in the case of the later that pretty much garentees those crimes aren't hate crimes; if a white father kills his white daughter, that's not a hate crime- like wise if the word white is replaced with; jewish, black, japanese, whatever). Under these scenarios, by definition, you're not dealing with a hate crime because it played no role in the motive. And then there are all those random acts of violence (accidentally killing whoever you're robbing), accidentally killing someone in the crossfire during stuff like drive bys- hate crimes are on the whole rare, and on the whole people are rarely charged with hate crimes after the fact.

Was the jury out of line? No, not really... if anything the problem is the other juries who go too easy on murderers. No murderer should ever get 5 years... and many murderers get more... and may of them get the needle.

CaptainGeech
08-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Agree to disagree. Not going to get into one of those retarded 30 page debates/arguments.

alex_c
08-30-2009, 06:16 AM
2009AD, I already said I believed that he should be charged, I am happy with the 75 years but in my opinion it will get resentanced because it can be said it is excessive, I hope not but it may.

co-sign, and that's more than agreed, this is a huge problem with our justice system that needs to be fixed. 75 years is worth it, the last thing we need are more of these homobigot/transphobic guys running around.

kalina
08-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Okay, so he gets 75 years and we have to hope that he gets what he deserves in prison by being raped/beaten/etc, BUT... what happens if he becomes a leader in prison and gets his own posse? Then he really hasn't learned any lessons from all of this. He'd just be a thug that we're all paying to sit behind bars. He gets out when he's 100 and he's still a homophobe calling gays faggots. This is a silly system.

AmericanDream
08-30-2009, 08:38 AM
There must be some of the dumbest people on earth on HungAngels. Why the fuck do you care so much about some scumbag??? Whining about 75 years? Why the fuck do you care if this guys alive or dead, in jail or out???

I wish they'd give him a death sentence. He absolutely deserves 75 years, he destroyed someones life who wasn't some piece of shit like him and his friends. So he destroyed a good life, for the rest of that mans life. And this guy who almost murdered the man should get out in 5 years according to you guys? free to live the rest of his life however he wants after just 5 years served?

And where the fuck are you getting 5 years on a murder charge?? Man you people really are fucking stupid. The word faggot didn't get anyone 75 years, they practically murdered a man you dumb fuck.