PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Jazz Album

buckjohnson
08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Kind of Blue?

Just listen again... Maybe Coltrane's Love Supreme..

Let's post about it.

AngelinaTorres
09-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Kind of Blue?

Jazz has never recovered from this album to be completed more closed channels that are open: 59 was the twilight years of jazz, one that buries Pres and Lady Day, which saw its last creative renewal

Dirky
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Can't argue much about calling those two the best but Mingus's Ah Um should be right up there too.

altarica
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Headhunters. Herbie's classic album that changed music forever.

Coroner
09-08-2009, 11:21 PM
There is no such thing as "the best Jazz album". Jazz has no boundaries for experiments and innovations which is why you got Bebop, Hard Bop, Free Jazz, Fusion, Jazz-funk etc.
Yes, Miles was very famous and is due to this fact an artist to get into Jazz but if you explore this music, you´ll find so many artists and albums that were above their time. And they´re timeless. Jazz is not a competition but about originality and ingenuity. It´s a state of mind and freedom.
Here are some of my top records and they´re not everyone´s cup of tea and I´m glad it isn´t:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KHVnedve0x8/R1MWJcYl1eI/AAAAAAAAAh4/M_sHvnUzxqk/s400/1422279.jpg

http://991.com/newGallery/Ornette-Coleman-Free-Jazz-459655.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r9BHjNdFgbI/Sl0L9x3O22I/AAAAAAAAB2k/wlw-gwIfO7A/s400/Ornette+Coleman+1994+sound+museum+hidden+man+%5B48 5%5D.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_inUF33ckU9Y/SBpwKimOABI/AAAAAAAAAKg/KSwDHgUUMXo/s320/John.jpg

Other fav artists are Monk, Mingus, Charlie Parker, Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner, Dizzy during his Afrocuban phase, Fusion stuff like Weather Report, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, Al Di Meola etc. The list is endless. Btw, I think Miles´ best record was Bitches Brew. This record was the birth of Jazz-Fusion.

trish
09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow! I love Ornette Coleman...been a long time since I cued it up. Going to do that tonight. Let me contribute a fav of mine: Thelonius Monk's Straight, No Chaser.

Coroner
09-08-2009, 11:32 PM
And not to forget Ornette´s Harmolodic & Free funk sickness with his Prime Time band :) :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/Dancing_in_Your_Head.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ipv2bMJzJRM/SP88ihK27WI/AAAAAAAAADU/MDwKLd-aNEk/s400/Ornette+Coleman+%281978%29+Body+Meta.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/OrnetteColemanInAllLanguagesCover.jpg

jaycanuck
09-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train

http://syllannibal.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/the-oscar-peterson-trio-night-train.jpg

I'll agree with Kind of Blue. Amazing

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-09-2009, 12:49 AM
gonna go out on a limb and mention Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet

Dirky
09-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Wow! I love Ornette Coleman...been a long time since I cued it up. Going to do that tonight. Let me contribute a fav of mine: Thelonius Monk's Straight, No Chaser.

I've been playing a lot of Monk this year after ignoring him for so long. He's astonishing.

trish
09-09-2009, 02:05 AM
I used to listen to Monk for hours. The melodies and rhythms are so angular, and yet he swings so easy. Another M composer I adore is Mingus...already mentioned above. But nobody mentioned the Haitian Fight Song (on the Clown) or The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Can't click submit without mentioning Triple Scoop by Brown, Alexander and Ellis.

Dirky
09-09-2009, 02:20 AM
It took me awhile to get into The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady but now I'm hooked. It's not as accessible as some of his earlier stuff.

rax123
09-09-2009, 02:41 AM
Bitches Brew.

hippifried
09-09-2009, 03:14 AM
Wow! All these dead guys... Jazz is still around. It just drowned out by the money noise from the sales of rock n roll. We tend to think of jazz as a specific structured genre with a starting date in the '20s, but Beethoven was renowned in his time for his improvisations that never got written down. I can't help but think that musicians have been gathering together & creating all kinds of great jams for as long as there's been instruments. That won't stop, & jazz is just improvisation without regard to structure.

Anyway... I refuse to say best, but here's a couple of favorites in no particular order or style:

Charles Mingus - Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool

Miles Davis - Bitch's Brew

Gary Bartz - Red & Orange Poems

Pharoah Sanders - Karma

Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance

Les McCann - Swiss Movement

Thelonious Monk quartet with John Coltrane - at Carnegie Hall

Dirky
09-09-2009, 03:19 AM
Wow! All these dead guys... Jazz is still around. It just drowned out by the money noise from the sales of rock n roll.

Rock and roll ain't too healthy either these days. Still more popular than jazz but both genres have peaked a long time ago.

peggygee
09-09-2009, 03:37 AM
There is no such thing as "the best Jazz album". Jazz has no boundaries for experiments and innovations which is why you got Bebop, Hard Bop, Free Jazz, Fusion, Jazz-funk etc.
Other fav artists are Monk, Mingus, Charlie Parker, Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner, Dizzy during his Afrocuban phase, Fusion stuff like Weather Report, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, Al Di Meola etc. The list is endless. Btw, I think Miles´ best record was Bitches Brew. This record was the birth of Jazz-Fusion.

I'm inclined to agree with your sentiments that it's nearly impossible to
pin down a favorite jazz album, though you have mentioned a few of my
faves.

Others are Ramsey Lewis, Wes Montgomery, Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith,
Herbie Hancock, Trane, Bird, Miles, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, Cal Tjader,

I particularly love jazz vocalists: Sinatra, Nancy Wilson, Cassandra Wilson,
Dianne Schurr, Sarah Vaughn, Tony Bennett, Dinah Wahington, Peggy
Lee, no relation :P

Latin jazz, smooth jazz, fusion jazz, mainstream, etc.

I can get into Dorsey, Artie Shaw,, Gene Krupa.

The list is endless.....

howdydoody
09-09-2009, 04:47 AM
I don't know about the GREATEST ever but...

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

...are my favorite

hippifried
09-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Wow! All these dead guys... Jazz is still around. It just drowned out by the money noise from the sales of rock n roll.

Rock and roll ain't too healthy either these days. Still more popular than jazz but both genres have peaked a long time ago.
Nah. It's just jam mediums. I even have a problem thinking about it as separate genres. When you think about it, the only difference is the consistency of the backbeat & progressions. There's a lot of great musicians out there. You never hear about them. They're doing session work, & jamming in the little hole in the wall clubs. Some are playing rock or country or whatever for a living, & jamming with the cats who can keep up in their off time. They'll be playing whether they get paid or not, but there's always a music scene. Everybody who can play wants to jam with somebody else.

"...& Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene.
He's got a daytime job. He's doing all right..."

El Nino
09-09-2009, 06:46 AM
dp

El Nino
09-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Hippifried, have you heard Herbie Hanckock's album entitled "Sextant"? It came out in 1973, and is truly off the charts. You have to listen to it a few times before "it" hits you. Please people, listen to Sextant! Oh, I also like Ahmad Jamal's playing...

a994
09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Here are some of my favorites:

John Coltrane--Africa Brass Vols. 1 & 2, A Love Supreme, Live In Seattle, Transition, Meditations, First Meditations, Live In Japan, Expression

Miles Davis--Kind Of Blue, Live In Berlin, Miles Smiles, Miles In the Sky, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, On The Corner

Larry Young--Unity, Lawrence of Newark

Chick Corea--Tones For Joan's Bones, Now He Sings Now He Sobs, The Complete Is Sessions

Max Roach--Percussion Bitter Suite, Drums Unlimited (with Hassan)

Ornette Coleman--The Shape Of Jazz To Come, Free Jazz, The Complete Science Fiction Sessions

The Music Of Eric Von Essen, Vols. 1-3

Bobby Hutcherson--Medina, Now!, San Francisco

Jan Garbarek--Afric Pepperbird

George Russell--Electronic Sonata For Those Loved By Nature

Stan Kenton--Conducts the Los Angeles Neophonic Orchestra

McCoy Tyner--The Real McCoy, Expansions, Extensions, Sahara

Charles Lloyd--Forest Flower, Voice In the Night, Lift Every Voice, Which Way Is East? (with Billy Higgins)

Dwight Trible--Living Water

Horace Tapscott--The Giant Awakens, The Dark Tree

Robin Kenyata--The Girl From Martinique

Roy Ayers--He's Coming, Ubiquity

Herbie Hancock--Maiden Voyage, Speak Like A Child, The Prisoner, Fat Albert Rotunda, Mwandishi, Crossings, Sextant, Headhunters, Thrust

Woody Shaw--Song Of Songs

Eddie Harris--Free Speech

The Awakening--Hear Sense and Feel, Mirage

Chester Thompson--Powerhouse

Calvin Keys--Proceed With Caution

Freddie Hubbard--The Black Angel, Red Clay

Mahavishnu Orchestra--The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds Of Fire, The Lost Trident Sessions

Tony Williams' Lifetime--Emergency, Turn It Over, Ego

Larry Coryell--Spaces

Gary Bartz--Urban Bush Music: Uhuru and Taifa

Love Cry Want--Love Cry Want

Sonny Sharrock--Black Woman

Willie Escalade
09-09-2009, 10:08 AM
As stated before, jazz itself can be broken down into different sub-genres. Some of my favorites...in no particular order.

Miles Davis: Milestones, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, E.S.P., The Sorcerer, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, A Tribute To Jack Johnson, On The Corner, Agharta, Pangaea, Decoy, Doo-Bop

Herbie Hancock: Taking Off, Empyrean Isles, Maiden Voyage, Speak Like A Child, Fat Albert Rotunda, Mwandishi, Crossings, Sextant, Head Hunters, Thrust, The Piano, Mr. Hands

Grover Washington, Jr: Inner City Blues, All The King's Horses, Soul Box, Mister Magic, Feels So Good, Winelight

Donald Byrd: Blackjack, Slow Drag, Fancy Free, Black Byrd, Places and Spaces

Bobbi Humphrey: Blacks & Blues, Satin Doll, Fancy Dancer

Wayne Shorter: Speak No Evil

George Benson: Beyond The Blue Horizon, Body Talk, Bad Benson, Breezin'

Gary Bartz: Music is My Sanctuary

Jaco Pastorius' debut album

Stanley Clarke: Children of Forever, Stanley Clarke, Journey To Love, School Days, Hideaway

Patrice Rushen: Prelusion, Before The Dawn

I could go on and on...

GroobySteven
09-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow ... I've just started scrolling down my Ipod after you guys whetted my appetite. Some great albums ever.

Can't say if they're the best ever but ...
Love Supreme (got introduced to Coltrane from an early Spike Lee film I think).

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain.

I didn't see many Satch on these lists? How could the greatest be missed?

... and a weird one ... "Baker's Holiday" - Chet Baker doing Billy Holiday songs ... and the 1 other album (other than Sketches of Spain) that my wife and I played for 14 hrs, during her labor a birth of my son :-)

buckjohnson
09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
CORONER
I like your posting except "Jazz is not a competition"

I don't think Miles, Dizzy, Parker, etc... would agree. Jazz is always about competation, about taking chances, "cuttin", and doing thangs no other cat has done before. And AT, right on about 59 being so fine.... As always, your beauty is challenged by your soul and intellect

buckjohnson
09-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Cats that called out Dolphy, Hawkins, and Coleman have listen to the innovators and the free minding type of jazz.

I like jazz/songs the goes beyond normal articulation, sets standards, and is hard to duplicate, that other jazz cats want to play and want to mimic the style of the artists and their vision. Stanley Clarke's School Days, George Benson's On Broadway (live), Dizzy and Parker's Night in Tunesia, Grover's live version of Mr. Magic, Coltrane's solo on Miles Favorite Things. These are visionary statements that any musician wants to copy and as a sign of respect, sample.

AngelinaTorres
09-09-2009, 09:07 PM
And AT, right on about 59 being so fine.... As always, your beauty is challenged by your soul and intellect

Hum... This is what i like on you too BJ... :shrug (and certainly much more...) ;)

Coroner
09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Love Supreme (got introduced to Coltrane from an early Spike Lee film I think).

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/47099.1020.A.jpg

Coroner
09-09-2009, 10:47 PM
CORONER
I like your posting except "Jazz is not a competition"

I don't think Miles, Dizzy, Parker, etc... would agree. Jazz is always about competation, about taking chances, "cuttin", and doing thangs no other cat has done before. And AT, right on about 59 being so fine.... As always, your beauty is challenged by your soul and intellect

I agree which is what I also said myself. What I mean with competition is that Jazz isn´t about "who´s faster" but exactly about "doing thangs no other cat has done before". If you´re familiar with modern guitar virtuosos (Neoclassical Metal for example), you might know that they try to appear as the fastest shredders.

trish
09-10-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm pleased to see so many people here love and listen to jazz. It worried me when they started teaching it in the high schools and universities. I thought that was a sure sign it was dying.

Here's a couple of unrelated (to each other) questions.

1) How many jazz performers on the scene these days are also university professors?

2) One of my fav tunes is Harlem Nocturne. What are the best recorded performances, who does them and on what albums?

mullatto
09-10-2009, 01:11 AM
charlie parker with strings

trish
09-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Thanks. I'm not familiar with that album ... but I will be. 8)

buckjohnson
09-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Trish...

That is a tight album

trish
09-10-2009, 01:30 AM
lookin' forward to hearing it...thanks

buckjohnson
09-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Trish.

I respect your taste.. except the "yellow pee stuff"....

Listen to Charlie Parker with strings and you will be in love...with somebody

Willie Escalade
09-10-2009, 08:56 AM
How many jazz performers on the scene these days are also university professors?
Not sure, but I do recall Donald Byrd (actually Dr. Donald Byrd) teaching at Howard, while Patrice Rushen taught a course at USC.

avrix
09-10-2009, 09:05 AM
any album of GRANT GREEN

eggbert
09-10-2009, 10:48 PM
It's all good. Some of my favorites not listed above: Piano- Bill Evans, David Kikoski, Brad Mehldau & George Colligan.
Guitar- John Pizzarelli, Pat Martino, Pat Metheny, Nguyen Le & Wes Montgomery
Fusion- Yellowjackets, Return to Forever, Dave Weckl
Horns- many but I'll just mention the Brecker Bros.

peggygee
09-11-2009, 02:32 AM
How many jazz performers on the scene these days are also university professors?
Not sure, but I do recall Donald Byrd (actually Dr. Donald Byrd) teaching at Howard, while Patrice Rushen taught a course at USC.

I recall Dr. Byrd teaching at Howard, as I am a huge fan of his. Had
forgotten Patrice teaching at USC.

My contribution is Max Roach at the University of Massachusetts at
Amherst.

buckjohnson
09-11-2009, 02:40 AM
I just listen to grant green last night ... Ain't it Funky Now.. Tight

yodajazz
09-11-2009, 07:41 AM
I had to do some soul searching on this one, as I once had 600-800 LP's. All the music mentioned here is great, but if I have to say one, I'll say "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, which has already been mentioned. Here's my argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FaMtXw2mRE
You have Bobby McFerrin, Al Jareau, Jon Hendricks, and George Benson, putting words to every note solo on the original recording. Classics making a classic into a greater classic.

On a personal note; long ago as a freshman I had a roommate; a Jewish kid who was a composition major in the Conservatory. He not was into jazz, but one time I was playing the Kind of Blue album, and he had a break through hearing the music. He credits it with changing his muscial life.

Some of the greats like Miles and Charlie Parker did'nt want their music resticted to the word 'jazz'. But what ever you call it, it's about being there in the flow of the moment; rhythm, harmony, and ourselves. That's all it is.

buckjohnson
09-11-2009, 08:00 AM
"On a personal note; long ago as a freshman I had a roommate; a Jewish kid who was a composition major in the Conservatory. He not was into jazz, but one time I was playing the Kind of Blue album, and he had a break through hearing the music. He credits it with changing his muscial life"

Likewise, Coltranee "The Love Supreme" has had the effect on many cats. Ask any black man in his fifties and they will cosign.

Also I have given cats David Sanborn's "The Dream" and it has had the same life changing effect.

arizonadl
09-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Kenny Burrell's "Soul Lament" from his Midnight Blue album is one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard.

jimme747
09-11-2009, 08:22 AM
No question, it is the Best, try and see the movie about "Kind of Blue", frigging awesome. It reigns to this day as the genre's greatest hit and the most coherent album ever made.

Why does Kind of Blue posses such a mystique? Perhaps because this music never flaunts its genius... It's the pinnacle of modal jazz — tonality and solos build from the overall key, not chord changes, giving the music a subtly shifting quality.

Read Ashley Kahn's book about it, also a masterpiece. Long-time fans, who know the music and the myths inside out, will marvel anew at the dedication Miles showed not only to his music, but in what can only be called his sentimentality in working with the other artists on the dates. His relationship with pianist Bill Evans is especially poignant.

buckjohnson
09-11-2009, 08:31 AM
jimme747

ashley kahn's book about Kind of Blue was great your description of it, as well as Miles dedication to the music and the set date...is right on

jimme747
09-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks, don't get me wrong there is other great stuff, but Blue is, I would almost say "the Jazz Bible" . Over the years I listened to many different artist playing it. "Ivory and steel" , Kevin Eubanks and Michel Petrucciani to name a few. Enjoy, I promise you it's gonna cost you sleep. ;-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYZy0P2IGac

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJngXnWtVnI

retrozen
09-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Abbey Lincoln featuring Stan Getz!!!

Tanuki
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
yep.. You all may have a favorite jazz album and it may waver from day to day.. but in an unpartisan analysis.. its without a doubt.. KIND OF BLUE>>
crunch the numbers yo

buckjohnson
09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
anyone who can hollar Abby Lincoln.. Much respect.

jimjamcan
09-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Miles Davis .......... Bitches Brew............ fantastic.......

buckjohnson
09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Bitches Brew... listen with a fat joint

DL_NL
09-11-2009, 10:41 PM
My Dad is really into jazz and I grew up listening to most of these albums. My favourites: anything by Weather Report, This album (http://mp3shake.com/en/album/Di_Meola_McLaughlin_de_Lucia/Saturday_Night_In_San_Francisco-2395/) and I can listen to this all day long. (http://www.amazon.com/K%C3%B6ln-Concert-Keith-Jarrett/dp/B0000262WI)

Most of these albums get at least one playing every week.

DL_NL
09-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Double post

buckjohnson
09-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Weather Report.. Cool like dat.

Coroner
09-12-2009, 12:43 AM
You should check out the Zawinul Syndicate. It´s like the best World Fusion music you can get. He had the best bass players and drummers like Richard Bona and Paco Sery. I mention Joe Zawinul because some of you seem to be into Weather Report. Btw, I spent my childhood in the neighbourhood (Erdberg in Vienna) where he was from. Erdberg is also the place where Richard Lionheart was arrested in 1102. :lol:

yodajazz
09-12-2009, 08:06 AM
And speaking of great jazz this is a great vid of Charlie Parker playing a jam head off 'Rhythm' changes (the chord changes of George Gerswin's "I Got Rhythm") Buddy Rich is on the drums, Hank Jones on the piano, (brother of Coltrane drummer Elvin Jones). On the bass is Ray Brown, you can catch a glimpse of his face at the end ot the drum solo. On an interesting side note, he was Ella Fiztgerald's only husband. They were only married for about a year, and she never married again.

Anyway all this music was in less than two minutes, including Bird firing up a cigarette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjElQ6Ekr9o&feature=related

DL_NL
09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
You should check out the Zawinul Syndicate. It´s like the best World Fusion music you can get. He had the best bass players and drummers like Richard Bona and Paco Sery. I mention Joe Zawinul because some of you seem to be into Weather Report. Btw, I spent my childhood in the neighbourhood (Erdberg in Vienna) where he was from. Erdberg is also the place where Richard Lionheart was arrested in 1102. :lol:
Thanks, excellent stuff indeed. I love all the WR 'spinoffs', Pastorius/Zawinul/Shorter projects.

Ecstatic
09-13-2009, 03:53 AM
My favorite period of jazz is, loosely, the 1950s, and more comprehensively, from the early bop of Bird to Coltrane's mid-60s cosmic jazz. I think jazz is more about performers and performances than albums, especially given the improvisational character of jazz such that it's ever changing, and an album is simply a moment in time of any jazz composition, unlike classic rock albums which are, to a much greater degree, definitive, like Sgt. Pepper's or Tommy.

Several of my all-time favorites have been mentioned, and it seems that the general concensus here is the same time period (late 40s/50s/mid-60s), though a lot have professed a love of jazz fusion, which for the most part doesn't do a lot for me. So Bitches Brew doesn't make my top Miles albums, the top three of which are Kind of Blue (best selling and possibly the most influential jazz album of all time), Birth of the Cool, and Sketches of Spain.

For Coltrane, I'd also mention Giant Steps. I'm right there with Monk's Straight No Chaser, also Brilliant Corners and Monk's Blues. Mingus, add Pithecanthropus Erectus.

Some which I didn't see mentioned, but should be:

Erroll Garner, Concert by the Sea
Duke Ellington, The Great London Concerts, Toga Brava Suite, and Sacred Concerts
Benny Goodman, Live at Carnegie Hall 1938 (peak performance of the big band era)
Rahsaan Roland Kirk, The Inflated Tear, Prepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle, and The Case of the 3 Sided Dream in Audio Color
Alice Coltrane (John's widow) produced a stunning series in the 70s, especially Journey in Satchidananda and, just before she died, the wonderful Translinear Light (which I'm listening to right now)

Many, many others, of course. Among more recent performers, my favorite hands down is Patricia Barber, who has released a brilliant series of albums including A Distortion of Love, Modern Cool, and Mythologies, for which she was given a Guggenheim Fellowship. Another brilliant young contemporary--very young, in fact the youngest facultry member ever at Berklee--is bassist and singer Esperansa Spaulding.

blakpadi
09-13-2009, 04:50 AM
all impossible to find and if you do find $$$$$$$$$$$$ for originals

blakpadi
09-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Not for everyone...but greatest to me,at least for today!

blakpadi
09-13-2009, 05:34 AM
Still Going...

blakpadi
09-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Greatest Jazz records to put on when your guest is wearing a Miles Davis T shirt...absolutely nothing against Miles...but you can't stand your GUEST
Brotzmann's "Machine Gun" will have him headed out the door!

yodajazz
09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Not for everyone...but greatest to me,at least for today!

That's some deep stuff you have there. The only thing was that some of the freer ones coming up, didn't realize they still had to learn all music to continually expand their vocabulary, like many greats did.

Miles Davis .......... Bitches Brew............ fantastic.......
I heard that! I liked all of Miles changes in direction, as I tend to also get bored with the same styles.

I have great love and respect for Joe Zawinul.

nevada64
09-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Anyone out there like Anita O'Day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agp2on83hrA

blakpadi
09-13-2009, 02:00 PM
True, but many of them can play straight ahead...they just choose not to.Derek Bailey played Guitar w/ Esther Phillips and Della Reese before turning everything upside down...Bill Dixon,perhaps one of the earliest pioneers played with all the NY boppers & transcribed all of Parkers Savoy recordings...because he was the only one that could do it.Never turned back after "The NY Jazz Composers Workshop" To this day has never gone back to Blues/Ballads or Bop...Walked into a club(cafe) a couple of years back and Jameel Moondoc is sitting in the back blowing note for note along w/ Getz/Gilberto on the house stereo system.2 hours later w/ his band you would not believe it was the same person...an all out frontal assault! Evan Parker,Peter Brotzmann,Alexander Von Schlippenbach,Han Bennick,Enrico Rava,Manfred Schoof...of the European school are mostly all classically trained and all amazing sight readers,but prefer improvisation as a form of expression,all play free,but all have been recorded playing straight ahead as well...back in the states in the late fifties,sixties...not many wanted to get into a cutting contest w/ the great "John Gilmore" check out "Blowing in From Chicago" w/ Clifford Jordan-On Blue Note...this guy spent all of his time with Sonny Blount the arranger for the "Fletcher Henderson Orch." later to be known as "Sun Ra"...yeah there were alot that had no foundation...BUT there were alot that did...

buckjohnson
09-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Miles Bitches Brew is music not for the sane, conservative, or the not chemically challenged. It is also one of the jazz classsic best heard on vinyl and not CD. And like I said, good to have a marijuana 'high' with its distortion of the sense of time and deficits of short-term memory

Willie Escalade
09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Miles Bitches Brew is music not for the sane, conservative, or the not chemically challenged. It is also one of the jazz classsic best heard on vinyl and not CD. And like I said, good to have a marijuana 'high' with its distortion of the sense of time and deficits of short-term memory
I've heard this. Unfortunately the record player in my house is MIA; I need to get a new one because my father has a LOT of the albums listed in this thread on vinyl!

Another album of Miles that might be like this is On The Corner.

Get the box sets of both! :o

mullatto
09-15-2009, 12:18 AM
it is said that bird kept pretty much clean when he was with the strings.when they were taken away he slippped deeper into the drug use

mullatto
09-15-2009, 12:25 AM
also miles ahead:miles PLUS 19

Willie Escalade
09-15-2009, 12:27 AM
also miles ahead:miles PLUS 19
Ditto. Basically I prefer his Columbia output from 1955-1975. Listening to him playing coronet with a big band is pretty damn nice.

buckjohnson
09-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Bitches Brew def on vinyl. I sold my version for a riducolous amount of money, but still wish I had it . But last week I bought it for 2.50 at a used record store and amazing in pretty mint condition,, like the owner knew...he or she knew, a cat like me was going to come around and appreciate it.

brent
09-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Bill Evans: "Portrait in Jazz."

buckjohnson
09-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I think a lot of Grover Washington's jams are under appreciated.

Willie Escalade
09-19-2009, 12:52 AM
I think a lot of Grover Washington's jams are under appreciated.
Especially his work with Kudu/Motown. Listen to Soul Box and A Secret Place to see what I mean.

Coroner
09-19-2009, 01:09 AM
You guys are talking about "Smooth Jazz" which is Pop. :wink:

I think Kudu worked with Kenny Gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-mjt1ypiF8 :lol:

Willie Escalade
09-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I think Kudu worked with Kenny Gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-mjt1ypiF8 :lol:
No, no...I meant Creed Taylor's record label. 8)

Malik Howard
09-20-2009, 08:56 AM
SOUNDS MUCH,MUCH, BETTER ON THE ORIGINAL 12" VINYL.
THE COMPACT DISC IS NOT WORTH BUYING. THE SOUND QUALITY IS NOT "HIGH" AT ALL. VERY "LOW"

blakpadi
09-21-2009, 01:00 AM
My 2 Fave Kudu Releases :cry:

AngelinaTorres
09-21-2009, 01:08 AM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51atgWhL0PL._SL150_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q43N8QB7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

blakpadi
09-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Creed did let it go funky(There's a great article in a back issue of waxpoetics on CTI and KUDU and the side musicians...can't remember what issue it was).It was the times,Black Jazz always let it go greasy,greens and grits, as well as some killer spiritual jazz...3 of my faves off the top.

blakpadi
09-21-2009, 01:29 AM
But my real favorite 3 today are...I was in a straight ahead mode.

Dirky
09-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Kudos for mentioning the Wax Poetics magazine, blakpadi. I try not to miss a single issue.

Willie Escalade
09-21-2009, 08:09 AM
My 2 Fave Kudu Releases :cry:
Damn...I've gotta find those! :shock:

blakpadi
09-21-2009, 12:01 PM
out of the crates from diggin for breaks...more Jazz/Funk

blakpadi
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Gotta add some Latin/Afro-Latin

blakpadi
09-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Still on the Afro-Latin n' Latin Tip...

blakpadi
09-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Sorry I guess I hijacked...it's just that jazz is as much of a passion as...whats this board called again?

buckjohnson
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
RTF..just listen to some of my brothers old albums. corea was out of sight, clarke b4 his time.

trish
04-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Anthony Braxtons 19 Solo Compositions are a big fav of mine.
They're 19 short, engaging, idiosyncratic pieces for tenor sax.
Listening to 'Round Midnight at the moment...ooohh man, that's beautiful.

peggygee
04-10-2010, 02:56 AM
Wow, y'all took me back with some of those Kudu albums, I'm going
to have to go digging through my crates.