PDA

View Full Version : 10 Ways to Avoid a Cop Giving You a Speeding Ticket

Silcc69
08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
http://autos.aol.com/article/how-to-avoid-a-speeding-ticket

People who get speeding tickets are often guilty of more than simply driving faster than the posted limit. Their chief offense? It's getting noticed in the first place. That's the first domino to fall in the ugly chain of events that leads to a piece of "payin' paper."

Here are some common sense ways to run under a cop's radar -- literally:

· Drive within 5-10 mph of surrounding traffic. Cops are usually looking for drivers who are going noticeably faster than the other cars on the road. If you're within a pack of cars all going 5 to 10 mph over the limit, you've automatically improved your odds of not being the one that gets pulled over for a speeding ticket, even though you're all technically speeding. The cop has to pick one car; if you go with the flow of traffic, it probably won't be you. And it definitely won't be you if you don't speed in the first place.

· Try to stay in the middle of the pack. If you're the lead car, logic says you'll be the first car to run past any cop's radar trap up ahead and get a speeding ticket. And if you're the last car, you'll be the one the police officer rolls up behind. That means the safest place is in the middle -- just like a gazelle fleeing a hungry lion by seeking safety in the middle of the herd.

· Find a "rabbit." If you can't find a pack of cars going the speed you'd like to maintain, the next best thing is to find yourself a rabbit -- a solitary driver traveling the speed you'd like to drive that you can follow discretely, about 50-100 yards back. If there's a cop using radar, hopefully the rabbit will trip the trap and get a speeding ticket, not you. And if he brakes suddenly, you have just received your early warning in time to take defensive action.

· Do not change lanes frequently, tailgate or otherwise drive aggressively. In addition to being rude and dangerous, you're just asking for a trucker or someone with a cell phone to call the cops and give them a description of your vehicle and license plate number. Always use your signals and be courteous to fellow drivers. It's safer, and it will help you fade into the background.

· Avoid the fast lane. Use the far left lane to pass when necessary, but try to stay in the middle lanes when possible. Reason? If a cop is lurking in a cutout along the median strip (or coming at you from the opposite direction on a divided highway) the speeder in the far left lane is the one most likely to become the target. Drivers who get nailed with speeding tickets are often the type who rack it up to 10 or 15 over the limit and remain in the far left lane.

· Watch for cutouts and modulate your speed accordingly. On many highways, there are cutouts in the median strip every couple of miles. Usually, you can see these in plenty of time to slow down a little bit in case there's a cop lurking behind the bushes ready to give you a speeding ticket.

· Don't speed when you are the only car on the road. If you ignore this warning it's the equivalent of plastering a "ticket me!" bumper sticker on your vehicle. Even if you're only doing five mph over the posted limit, if there's a cop using radar, he's got nothing to look at but you. Lonesome speeding is even more dangerous in small towns, where radar traps and aggressive enforcement by cops can be common. And never speed late at night. Drunk-driving patrols are heavy and cops are more inclined to pull you over for any offense in order to check you for signs of alcohol. Don't give them a reason.

· If it's OK legally, get a radar detector. Yes, they're expensive (good ones, anyhow). But a one-time hit of, say, $300 for a decent radar detector is cheaper than even a single big speeding ticket and the higher insurance costs that will come with it. Radar detectors are legal in most states and well worth the investment to avoid a speeding ticket.

And Finally:

· If possible, drive a nondescript vehicle. It may not be fair, but it's human nature to notice things that stand out from the crowd. Bright-colored cars, those with loud exhaust or other pimped-out enhancements are the cars more likely to draw a cop's initial attention than ordinary-looking, family-type cars. Since the cop has to single out one car, which car do you suppose is the likely candidate for a speeding ticket? The bright yellow Mustang GT with 20-inch chrome rims? Or the silver Taurus?

If you do get pulled over while driving a fancy, high-profile car, your odds of getting a speeding ticket versus a warning have probably gone up. If you're driving a fast-looking hot rod, the cop is going to assume you use it and deserve a ticket more than the guy in a family-looking ride whose plea that he "didn't realize he was speeding, officer" comes off as more believable.

> In Pictures: Cars Least Likely to Get You a Speeding Ticket

· Be aware that appearances count. That is, your appearance. If your appearance says, "Responsible member of the community," you're apt to get a more friendly response than if you look and act like trouble.

The worst possible thing you can do is combine all the no-no's listed above by driving a flashy car too fast, late at night when you're the only car on the road while looking like you just robbed a bank.

If you do that, expect a speeding ticket. And expect no mercy.

SarahG
08-19-2009, 08:44 PM
· Be aware that appearances count. That is, your appearance. If your appearance says, "Responsible member of the community," you're apt to get a more friendly response than if you look and act like trouble.

The worst possible thing you can do is combine all the no-no's listed above by driving a flashy car too fast, late at night when you're the only car on the road while looking like you just robbed a bank.

If you do that, expect a speeding ticket. And expect no mercy.

There are other ways appearances can matter, the author forgot to mention that sometimes "T&A" helps.

sunairco
08-19-2009, 09:02 PM
few things to add.

Depending on policy, the latter in the month, the higher chance you have of getting nailed. Yes many PD's have quotas and the officers have a tendency to rack up the numbers just b4 the end of the defined interval.

Cops have a lot of discretion and your behavior and presentation have a LOT to do with getting a ticket. Male under 25,tats, dishelved appearnce,piercings,poor choice of clothing,Messy cars full of trash, cluttered dashboards and back seats, poorly mainained exterior with scars of several previous mishaps already are working against you. Documents with different addresses such as your license,registration,and insurance add to the agitation level and suspicion. Radar detectors and scanners may be legal in your state, but immediately flag you as being predisposed to speeding and evading detection. First thing the officer is concerned about approaching your car is his safety. Stay in your vehicle and comply exactly as he commands. Don't argue or give them a hard time. Many ticket forms have a checkbox that flags you as giving them crap. If this goes to court, that biases the judge. Keep your communication brief and to the point as in "yes sir/officer". At this point, he's the man and expects respect. Suck it in and give him that respect even if it kills you. If you have anyone in the car and speak another language, zip it and speak english if you have to talk to them. That antagonizes gringos big time. Speaking of court. Always take that option. You stand a good chance of the cop not showing, not getting points if you have a previously clean record and/or reduced fine with no points. You may pay court costs, but it's worth the gamble.

Some other things. Keep your cellphone out of view or in a case. If you're wearing sunglasses, remove them in the presence of the officer. If you have to reach for your dashboard or console, ask permission/inform the officer that you need access to retrieve your documents. Do not leave the scene even if it's clear that you're done. Always ask if you're "free to go". Always keep in mind that you're probably being videotaped by a dashcam and recorded by a remote mic nowadays. If things get out of hand and you end up in court with a lawyer for other reasons, that tape may be your savior. Always assume it's on and you're playing to judge and jury.

This may seem silly, but what bumper stickers do you have on your car. Anything potentially offensive or politcal? Don't laugh, my daughter has used her discretion on this point. Do you support the local police union? Even if it's not the one the officer is represented by, it does work to your favor with a sticker prominently displayed. Is there a kiddy seat strapped to the seat, some toys or kid stuff in the rear seat? That works for you.

If you're a woman or reasonable facsimle thereof, you might stand a good chance of talking your way out of a ticket. Although I'm not sure how this would play if your license shows you as a biological male and you have a homophobic officer.

What's on your dash or console area? Anything that shouldn't be there or look suspicious like a roach clip or paraphanalia? Are you smoking a cigarette? Put it out b4 the cop approaches and don't make any suspicious movements as he's appoaching your car as if you're moving or hiding somehing.

My $.02 worth

Nicole Dupre
08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
.. or take out a few PBA cards. :)

Willie Escalade
08-19-2009, 11:14 PM
CHIPS nailed me when I was returning from San Francisco through Ther Grapevine on I-5. Of course I was in the fast lane. As soon as I reached the crest of the hill and was going down, there were SEVEN highway patrol men waiting there...pulling over almost everyone...including me.

After I got the ticket, I headed straight to Fry's and got a cheap radar detector. When I drove to San Francisco the next year, my cruise control was set for about 5 miles above the speed limit, and I slowed down whenever the detector started to beep. I didn't want to be caught slipping again...plus the cruise control helped my fuel economy!

BLKGSXR
08-20-2009, 04:15 AM
another way is to become a cop ^_^ lol

Nicole Dupre
08-20-2009, 04:38 AM
Show some cleavage and bite my lip. lol

HP1000
08-20-2009, 04:39 AM
If pulled over for speeding, never tell the Cop "I'm Sorry"
That's an admission of guilt in a court of law.
Don't leave anything on your seats or within view so a Cop has no legal right for probable cause to search your vehicle without a search warrant.
IF the cop wants to search your car without probable cause, you have the legal right to tell him no, but you can tell him he can run a dog on the outside of the car for drugs.

IF you are carrying drugs, you should consider going to a local sporting goods establishment and purchasing Fox Urine-Scent to spray on your tires. This will make the dog take off running in the woods! NO BS! :D

JeniferTS
08-20-2009, 04:43 AM
and that's why i have a chauffeur.

Quiet Reflections
08-20-2009, 04:59 AM
If you do get pulled over have your license and registration ready, radio off, hand in plain sight and always say yes sir or no sir/ma'am. Never give them another reason since they already have all your info. This may sound pussy but showing respect will get you real far trust me i have a lot of friends that are officers....a lot.

Quiet Reflections
08-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Don't leave anything on your seats or within view so a Cop has no legal right for probable cause to search your vehicle without a search warrant.
IF the cop wants to search your car without probable cause, you have the legal right to tell him no, but you can tell him he can run a dog on the outside of the car for drugs.

IF you are carrying drugs, you should consider going to a local sporting goods establishment and purchasing Fox Urine-Scent to spray on your tires. This will make the dog take off running in the woods! NO BS! :D
I don't know about your state but in Maryland you can say no to a car search but they only ask as a formality. They can search your immediate surroundings,front and backseat but not your trunk. I also have first hand knowledge of the MD state K9 training program and can tell you with 100% certainty that they train the dogs here against animal sight and sent distractions

SarahG
08-20-2009, 05:18 AM

I don't know about your state but in Maryland you can say no to a car search but they only ask as a formality. They can search your immediate surroundings,front and backseat but not your trunk. I also have first hand knowledge of the MD state K9 training program and can tell you with 100% certainty that they train the dogs here against animal sight and sent distractions

Anywhere in the US its a formality anymore; when was the last time you heard of a judge denying a search request for a car stopped for a trivial traffic infraction?

Quiet Reflections
08-20-2009, 05:21 AM

Anywhere in the US its a formality anymore; when was the last time you heard of a judge denying a search request for a car stopped for a trivial traffic infraction?your right i have never heard that

HP1000
08-20-2009, 05:46 AM

There is an retired Florida Highway Patrolman that has made a DVD about the tricks and trades of getting out of tickets and other subjects. He also claims the Fox Urine will throw a K-9

I don't suggest carrying drugs!

Just my opinion!

BLKGSXR
08-20-2009, 05:49 AM

There is an retired Florida Highway Patrolman that has made a DVD about the tricks and trades of getting out of tickets and other subjects. He also claims the Fox Urine will throw a K-9

I don't suggest carrying drugs!

Just my opinion!dude we understand where your coming from but if the dog doesnt like itand act oddly-that raises enough suspicion on its own

HP1000
08-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Another tip:

Don't use older radar detectors, since most highway patrol units have VG-2 technology and pulse radar that lock onto your radar detector miles away and wait for you speeding down the road. Any radar detector over a year old is old and obsolete.

You can buy a radar scrambler with a high frequency reverse FM pulse/modulation or one that admits false feedback once you have been locked in, but these are Illegal in about every state and cost over $1000

LittleGuy
08-20-2009, 06:48 AM
shoot the cop

no cop

no ticket

BLKGSXR
08-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Another tip:

Don't use older radar detectors, since most highway patrol units have VG-2 technology and pulse radar that lock onto your radar detector miles away and wait for you speeding down the road. Any radar detector over a year old is old and obsolete.

You can buy a radar scrambler with a high frequency reverse FM pulse/modulation or one that admits false feedback once you have been locked in, but these are Illegal in about every state and cost over $1000for CA police bands change so often those things become obsolete.

SarahG
08-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Another tip:

You can buy a radar scrambler with a high frequency reverse FM pulse/modulation or one that admits false feedback once you have been locked in, but these are Illegal in about every state and cost over $1000

Yea and do you know who is responsible for buying much of the radar detector detectors and pushing laws criminalizing radar detectors?

Fucking AAA!

AAA was the lobbyist group that basically singlehandedly outlawed radar detectors in Virginia iirc.

Silcc69
08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
When I get pulled over I make sure i'm blastin this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiX7GTelTPM&feature=related

Silcc69
08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
When I get pulled over I make sure i'm blastin this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiX7GTelTPM&feature=related

95racer
08-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Tell any people in the vehicle with you to keep quiet.

X2 for much of the suggestions above. Politeness goes along way. I have some friends/ family who are cops and if you're going to be a jerk you are going to get something.

Regarding quotas and those that claim they don't exist, I live by one of the top ten speed traps in the states (as identified by several sources on the subject). I'll drive through the zone which is about 1/3 mile long and can see 2-3 cops on each side of the road (there is a median) towards the end of the month.

Caff_Racer
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Mental note to self: don't ever do that fly/ride holiday in the US! :lol:

It's not that I'm "reet flat oot" all over the shop, it's just that my natural speed is what Advanced Motorcycle Training instructors/Plod on a bike call "making good progress". Here in Spain I keep my nose clean (I've already had a two-month ban and I'm therefore a "marked man"), but when I pop over the border into France I ride (sensibly) fast: in other words I ride within the effective speed limit of the portion of road that I'm on, instead of the marked speed limit (and the effective limit can be above the marked limit or below it, depending on factors such as road conditions, traffic, weather, etc.). I've also learned to ride like (and exhibit the on-bike "body language" of) your common-or-garden British motorcycle copper, which shouts out "I ride fast (ish) but I know what I'm doing". I also maintain a no-nonsense attitude when I get pulled: no excessive politeness, just the minimum amount will do; being totally relaxed and at ease, as if nothing out of the ordinary was occurring; providing any spoken information in a concise and factual manner, and if I am required to spell anything out to the copper I use the radio/military alphabet, etc. Result: the few times I've been pulled by the French Gendarmerie, I've never ridden away with a ticket; instead I'm allowed on my way with a polite and even friendly talking-to.

Jericho
08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Refrains from pointing out the best way of avoiding a ticket! :shrug