PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever try absinthe?

cookiepuss
08-17-2009, 11:47 PM
I bought a spoon from a shop long ago. Now a buddy, overseas, says he'll bring back a few bottles.
Just curious, since it's now legal to import w/o woodworm, I think.

BLKGSXR
08-17-2009, 11:58 PM
banned in 1912 USA at least.

cookiepuss
08-18-2009, 12:01 AM
banned in 1912 USA at least.

so are all the other fun stuff! :D no probs there!!!

I think w/o woodworm it's fine, though who know's?

JerseyMike
08-18-2009, 12:07 AM
It's over rated, all the good stuff that used to make people cut off their ears and paint cows dieing while bombs rain from above isn't in it anymore. Just tastes like strong licorice liquor.

bte
08-18-2009, 12:14 AM
I had it a few times, twice without the wormwood and once with the wormwood. Definitely worth it with the wormwood. But it does kind of taste like licorice.

Dirky
08-18-2009, 12:17 AM
I've been wanting to try it for ages now.

Quiet Reflections
08-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Its better with the wormwood but legal or not i have never had a problem getting it.

Dirky
08-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Where do you get it?

JerseyMike
08-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Looks like i need to get it with the wormwood

fred41
08-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Nouvelle Orléans is a very good one from France...it's one of the few that I like the taste of right out of the bottle..although usually you want to add water and some sugar.

--

pontgmc
08-18-2009, 12:46 AM
it is only illegal in the US if there is over a certain percentage of wormwood in it. You can purchase absinthe in the us as long as it is made using the original French recipe, which has under the illegal amount. It's not a terrible drink and no it won't make you trip. It has a strong anise taste...not anus :)

Quiet Reflections
08-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Where do you get it?
You can get it online but i mostly get mine through friends from overseas. its been legal in the states(with wormwood) since 2007. Its just a good tasting drunk but nothing crazy like Eurotrip(you wont kiss your sister on this).

TJ347
08-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Can't recall the name of the one I bought online awhile back, but a co-worker from Spain called it crap. I've seen where you can get some of the stuff from overseas, but didn't like the absinthe I tried enough to pony up the dough. I wish I could recall the site, but doing a search on absinthe is bound to locate it pretty quick, since that's how I found it.

Quiet Reflections
08-18-2009, 01:45 AM
just make sure it has grande wormwood in it

http://www.absinth.com/index.html
http://www.greenfairy.org/home.php
http://www.originalabsinthe.com/

Nowhere
08-18-2009, 02:09 AM
It's over rated, all the good stuff that used to make people cut off their ears and paint cows dieing while bombs rain from above isn't in it anymore. Just tastes like strong licorice liquor.

Exact same experience, although I did think it was a little minty. The wormwood in it, even if they SAY it is, unless you get it in places like eastern Europe yourself, is gone.

TJ347
08-18-2009, 02:19 AM
There's a few bottles from the van Gogh days out there I'm sure, but no doubt they cost a mint. Now I want to try absinthe again! I remember the stuff I had before had yellow eyes on a black bottle... Have to look it up later.

praetor
08-18-2009, 02:24 AM
http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/images/absinthe.jpg

i had tried, is delicious and made me fly

ABSINTHE DRINK RECIPES
DESIRE
1/4 Absinthe Original
1/2 tablespoon sugar
3/4 lemon juice

Shake well and pour into cocktail glass.
MOULIN ROUGE
25 ml Archers
12.5 ml Absinthe Original
5 ml Grenadine

Top up with Merlins Energy Source. Garnish with mint tips and serve on ice.
TRAFFIC LIGHT
2 parts of cranberry juice
1 part of orange juice
1 part of Absinthe Original

Pour carefully into a cocktail glass half filled with ice.
CORRIDA
1 shot Absinthe Original
1 shot vodka
1 can Red Bull

Shake ingredients with ice and strain into ice filled collins glass.
MERLINS PICASSO
25 ml Absolut Citron
12.5 ml Drambuie
12.5 ml Absinthe Original
Top up with Merlins

Garnish with lime and serve on ice. GREEN TEAR
2 parts of cranberry juice
1 part of Indian tonic water
1 slice of lemon

Shake well and pour into a cocktail glass.
ABSINTHE FIZZ
1 & 1/2 shots Absinthe Original
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon sugar
1 egg white
seltzer

Shake with ice and strain into a highball glass and fill with seltzer. ABSINTHE CURACAO FRAPPE
1 shot Absinthe Original
1/2 shot curacao
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons orange juice
1 thin slice of orange

Stir ingredients and pour over crushed ice in a deep-saucer champagne glass. Add orange slice.
HALLOWEEN SLASH
1/2 shot of lemon liqueur
3 shots of cranberry juice
1/2 shot of peach vodka
1 shot of Absinthe Original
1/3 shot of orange juice

Pour carefully into a cocktail glass half filled with ice. ABSINTHE BOLLYSIDE
1/2 part of Jack Daniels
1/2 of gin
1/4 of Archers Peach Schnapps
1 part of Red Bull
Drop of cranberry juice.

Shake ingredients with ice and strain into ice filled collins glass.
WHARF RAT
1 part of white rum
1 part of Grenadine
1 part of Apricot brandy
3 parts of orange juice

Mix with crushed ice and top it up with absinthe. KNOCK OUT
1 teaspoonful white Creme de Menthe
1 shot Absinthe Original
1 shot dry gin
1 shot French vermouth

Shake well with ice and strain into martini glass.

http://www.originalabsinthe.com/absinthe_drinks.php

Coroner
08-18-2009, 03:04 AM
I used to buy absinthe regularly whenever I made a trip to the Czech republic. It wasn´t prohibited in Austria but since I have some friends in the Czech republic, I always bought it there and it was also cheaper. Absinthe was never illegal at all and only allowed with a specific dose of thujone (up to 35 mg/kg) which depends on the alcohol content. It´s been a while now since I consumed the last time. At least 4 years.

TJ347
08-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Thujone! Right! Thanks for that Coroner. Seems I remember it was the thujone content rather than wormwood that was the reason absinthe was banned in the US, but I don't recall what the reason was. I know there was some concern over the safety of thujone at certain levels, but as I understand it van Gogh's issues weren't representative of too many other absinthe drinkers, many of whom consumed it their entire lives without even feeling the need to slice off any body parts, like Picasso.

Coroner
08-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Praetor, you´re drinking it the wrong way. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRr0Njy4GAY

Notice the URL ending. :lol:

Coroner
08-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Thujone! Right! Thanks for that Coroner. Seems I remember it was the thujone content rather than wormwood that was the reason absinthe was banned in the US, but I don't recall what the reason was. I know there was some concern over the safety of thujone at certain levels, but as I understand it van Gogh's issues weren't representative of too many other absinthe drinkers, many of whom consumed it their entire lives without even feeling the need to slice off any body parts, like Picasso.

Well, I think the authorities thought that thujone leads to addicition which isn´t true imo.

TJ347
08-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Well, I think the authorities thought that thujone leads to addicition which isn´t true imo.

Wasn't it that they thought thujone could cause insanity? Seems absinthe has gotten a lot of mileage on the fable that it caused van Gogh to cut off his ear, so maybe they bought it as readily as many people do today.

HP1000
08-18-2009, 03:16 AM
Around the turn of the century, after observing a subset of alcoholism referred to as "absinthism", and noting that heavy absinthe users had a propensity toward madness and suicide, by the second decade of this century it became banned in the Western world, unfairly lumped in with opiates, cocaine, and marijuana when it is, in fact, just another alcoholic beverage (although one with unique properties). Although the effects of thujone can be toxic when consumed in very large quantities, this substance is found in properly made and distilled absinthe in only the smallest trace amounts. The most popular misconception about absinthe is that it is a drug.

http://gumbopages.com/food/beverages/absinthe.html

Dirky
08-18-2009, 03:26 AM
Let's all have an absinthe party and get totally fucked up!

Coroner
08-18-2009, 03:29 AM

Wasn't it that they thought thujone could cause insanity? Seems absinthe has gotten a lot of mileage on the fable that it caused van Gogh to cut off his ear, so maybe they bought it as readily as many people do today.

I doubt there´s any connection between absinthe and Van Gogh´s passion for cutting off ears. He was arguing with Gaugin, went mad and cut off a part of his ear. Van Gogh was in a state of depression and exhaustion at this time.
Thujone does cause huge health troubles if you consume it in higher doses. It can lead to confusion, hallucination, psychosis etc. Call it insanity if you wish. The consequences caused by thujone are called absinthism.

HP1000
08-18-2009, 03:33 AM

Sounds like fun, but where the hell can we buy real Absinthe? Not that cheap Russian mouthwash stuff?

trish
08-18-2009, 03:34 AM
The U.S. has lifted the ban on Absinthe about a year ago (or at least lifted the ban on Absinthe produced in specified ways). Some months ago I bought a bottle of LUCID which is a brand of absinthe distilled in the "French manner."

The first time I prepared it in the recommended 19th century way: pour 4-5 oz of iced water over a sugar cube resting in a perforated spoon while letting the sugar water flow down into a glass of 1.5 oz of absinthe. I must be doing this incorrectly because it tastes like weakly flavored water.

I've also tried it straight up in a shot glass. But then its like drinking molten candy.

Needless to say, I still have nearly a full bottle of the stuff and I'm looking for a decent recipies that use it.

So thanks praetor, I'll give some of those a try.

EyeCumInPiece
08-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Tasted like turpentine to me.

Dirky
08-18-2009, 03:36 AM

Sounds like fun, but where the hell can we buy real Absinthe? Not that cheap Russian mouthwash stuff?

Well then let's just drink cheap Russian mouthwash and pretend it's absinthe.

Apparently absinthe is very popular among the goths so be sure to wear black clothes and black eye-liner to the party.

Coroner
08-18-2009, 03:37 AM
The U.S. has lifted the ban on Absinthe about a year ago (or at least lifted the ban on Absinthe produced in specified ways). Some months ago I bought a bottle of LUCID which is a brand of absinthe distilled in the "French manner."

The first time I prepared it in the recommended 19th century way: pour 4-5 oz of iced water over a sugar cube resting in a perforated spoon while letting the sugar water flow down into a glass of 1.5 oz of absinthe. I must be doing this incorrectly because it tastes like weakly flavored water.

I've also tried it straight up in a shot glass. But then its like drinking molten candy.

Needless to say, I still have nearly a full bottle of the stuff and I'm looking for a decent recipies that use it.

So thanks praetor, I'll give some of those a try.

Check out the Youtube link on the previous page. Looks what you tried is the "Bohemian method".

Dirky
08-18-2009, 03:46 AM
I don't know guys, it's fucking expensive! I could buy decent illegal drugs at that price.

http://www.originalabsinthe.com/

Those are at UK prices. It will be doubled in US currency. I think I'll search the net for cheap Russian mouthwash instead.

Quiet Reflections
08-18-2009, 03:47 AM

Sounds like fun, but where the hell can we buy real Absinthe? Not that cheap Russian mouthwash stuff?Time to forget absinthe lets drink this.......

sukumvit boy
08-18-2009, 04:00 AM
As Trish correctly stated the US ban was lifted about a year ago. It's actually pretty vile stuff the higher the wormwood content the worse the taste. You may have come across wormwood in your , or a neighbors' garden without even realising it it's a common grey- green ornimental hedge.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.altcancer.com/phyto/images/wormwood.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.altcancer.com/phyto/wormwood.htm&usg=__pA7uUiXB8wrhw0uV92ZZOcDluXU=&h=308&w=311&sz=20&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=C044pujmwm8YYM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwormwood%2Bartemisia%2Babsinthium%26h l%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_enUS334US339%2 6sa%3DN%26um%3D1

BLKGSXR
08-18-2009, 04:02 AM
As Trish correctly stated the US ban was lifted about a year ago. It's actually pretty vile stuff the higher the wormwood content the worse the taste. You may have come across wormwood in your , or a neighbors' garden without even realising it it's a common grey- green ornimental hedge.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.altcancer.com/phyto/images/wormwood.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.altcancer.com/phyto/wormwood.htm&usg=__pA7uUiXB8wrhw0uV92ZZOcDluXU=&h=308&w=311&sz=20&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=C044pujmwm8YYM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwormwood%2Bartemisia%2Babsinthium%26h l%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_enUS334US339%2 6sa%3DN%26um%3D1 I did a google search and the ban was never lifted per say- Although 2 companies got a COLA-cert which allows them to import it

sukumvit boy
08-18-2009, 04:21 AM
To continue :
Wormwood ( Artemesia absentum) has been used in folk medicine for centuries as a moth repellant and anti-parasitic.
The really interesting news is that it has just recently been found to be the most effective anti-malarial drug since quinine and is now at the center
of the most revolutanary effective treatment of malaria , which, you may know kills more people annually than any other disease. Especially children. http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/03/12/22552.aspx

yodajazz
08-18-2009, 04:26 AM
I had some when I was in England last September. I tried poured over a sugar cube and set on fire to melt the cube. That wasn't very efficient. It was ok just on the rocks, but I like surpy type stuff anyway, like Jagermiester.

Helvis2012
08-18-2009, 04:32 AM
Forget about the taste. Think angeldust crossed with Penot. Of course I'm talking about the real deal. As your buddy knows, you can't get the real stuff here. I've ordered bottles from England and they came with no troubles at all. No customs BS or anything.

Anyway, it's the wormwood that gets you high but there's also a high alcohol content, so you get a buzz, that I'll loosely describe as drunken psychedelic (if you drink enough). You've probably never done PCP (angel dust) but it feels similar....in a way. Don't let that scare you off. Definitely try it. Look at how many artists, writers, drunks and madmen it inspired in nineteenth century Europe.

BTW--it's still against the law in US. Wormwood can be bought and sold but not for use in products meant for human consumption.

I hope you post a thread letting us all know how it went. :wink:

fred41
08-18-2009, 05:44 AM
It's probably a little different for everyone, but like Helvis says...it does have a very high alcohol content so you'll definitely feel something. What I tended to feel was..instead of getting very drunk and sloppy,as you normaly would with that type of proof..I would be drunk and extremely alert...more like a marijuana buzz without the sleepiness...it was cool.

P.S....I did a lot of angeldust in my teen years and I really can't compare the two experiences. They used to call "dusting out" getting "zombied" for a reason....you literally would be like a zombie: barely being able to move..but a whole nother world in your head...with a really strong ether odor.

shemale-411
08-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Here, Zane Lamprey goes on a pretty good absinthe binge on one of my fave shows, 3 Sheets

http://www.hulu.com/watch/12781/three-sheets-czech-republic#s-p6-so-i0

giovanni_hotel
08-18-2009, 06:07 AM
This board never ceases to amaze!!!

So many folks eager to imbibe the drink of choice for Mark Twain and Edgar Allen Poe.

Back in college I used to regularly be on the lookout for absinthe, but at the time the only place to get the authentic liqueor is overseas.

I have friends who reporting drinking it in Amsterdam. Absinthe comes highly recommended, if you can find the genuine article.

If you have the recipe and a supply of wormwood, I've heard it's not difficult to make on your own if you're the home brew type.

A shot of morphine as a chaser, anyone??

Quiet Reflections
08-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Absinthe is nothing like PCP.....in anyway. giovanni i would take you up on the morphine if it was 6 years ago

giovanni_hotel
08-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I get that, Quiet.:)

Lately I'm trying to be a more responsible adult and the less chemical additives in my system, the better I function.