PDA

View Full Version : there is no antidote for Diprivan (propofol),Michael Jackso

natina
07-22-2009, 10:30 PM
someone is going to jail

Michael Jackson: Cherilyn Lee, Diprivan® (propofol), and Myers' Cocktail

Judging from the press inquiries I've had since 5 am EDT today, expect today's focus in the Michael Jackson case to be on the anesthetic drug, propofol (Diprivan®).

Last evening, California nutritionist and registered nurse Ms Cherilyn Lee gave an interview to Campbell Brown on CNN (and this AP exclusive report) describing Michael Jackson's repeated requests of her for the intravenous sedative drug for his insomnia. She wisely rejected his requests, instead providing him with a vitamin and mineral "energy" injection called Myers' cocktail.

However, four days before Jackson's death she reported a frantic phone call from a Jackson staffer to her that led her to believe he had somehow procured the drug or something like it:

While in Florida on June 21, Lee was contacted by a member of Jackson's staff.
"He called and was very frantic and said, `Michael needs to see you right away.' I said, 'What's wrong?' And I could hear Michael in the background ..., 'One side of my body is hot, it's hot, and one side of my body is cold. It's very cold,'" Lee said.
"I said, `Tell him he needs to go the hospital. I don't know what's going on, but he needs to go to the hospital ... right away."

"At that point, I knew that somebody had given him something that hit the central nervous system," she said, adding, "He was in trouble Sunday and he was crying out."

[. . .]

"I don't know what happened there. The only thing I can say is he was adamant about this drug [Diprivan]," Lee said.

In the photo of Ms Lee that accompanies the AP report and the video interview now at ABC News, she looks terrifically distraught and was obviously very concerned about Mr Jackson. My thoughts go out to her as I suspect she is second-guessing what she might have done differently to help him.

What is Diprivan (propofol) and how is it normally used safely?

Diprivan is the trade name for propofol (PROPE-uh-fawl), a product of AstraZeneca whose healthcare professionals website on the drug is currently closed. Estimated US annual sales of Diprivan are $375-400 million USD.

Propofol has a deceptively simple chemical structure and is known chemically as 2,6-diisopropylphenol. Its formulation in the Diprivan injectable product is as an emulsion with egg phospholipids. This imparts a white appearance that is responsible for its colloquial term amongst health professionals, "milk of amnesia."

It is a widely-used intravenous anesthetic used primarily for outpatient surgical procedures owing to its very rapid onset of action, sometimes as fast as 30 sec, and rapid recovery. It is also used for inpatient procedures such as intubations, in conjunction with longer-acting anesthetics, and in painful procedures such as changing burn dressings.

Propofol has a remarkably good safety record given its widespread use. The average human intravenous dose is 2 to 2.5 mg per kg body weight while the intravenous LD50 (dose that is lethal to 50% of a population) in mice is 50 mg/kg. When used alone, or in combinations with the opioid analgesic fentanyl, it produces a "dissociative analgesia" that is very rarely fatal. Hence, its safety is one of the reasons it is used for outpatient surgery, together with its rapid onset and quick recovery. However, the prescribing information for Diprivan notes specifically that the dose should be reduced when the drug is used together with opioids (such as meperidine or fentanyl) or other sedatives such as benzodiazepines.

http://scienceblogs.com/terrasig/2009/07/michael_jackson_cherilyn_lee_d.php

Propofol seen as ‘smoking gun’ in Jackson case
Toxicology report will show what drugs were present, and at what levels

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31951092/ns/entertainment-music/

http://webdematerial.iespana.es/anestesia/propofol.jpg

chefmike
07-22-2009, 10:34 PM
someone is going to jail

Someone should have...Michael Jackson.

natina
07-22-2009, 11:52 PM
and its flying everywhere