PDA

View Full Version : Favourite British Synth pop band

JamesHunt
07-21-2009, 05:42 AM
was listening to my local radio station, and they were having a feature on 80's synth pop. They voted Depeche Mode as the most influential. But I caught this tune by OMD whicj I think is pretty cool, kind of reminds me of George Orwells 1984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YkEBtFbOGg

rockabilly
07-21-2009, 05:48 AM
Depeche Mode was very influential , and there sound got darker the deeper Dave Gahans addictions did. I like OMD and Eurythmics , and alot of 80s music.

tg4me
07-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Since were going with synth, I'll go with OMD too.
But East Side story by Squeeze has 8 or 9 songs that or very well written.

raybbaby
07-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Hmm, there was quite a few. Many were pretty decent but only had a "one hit wonder" type career. case in point, Soft Cell. Tainted Love is one of the coolest things you'll ever hear. They were a decent band that put out a couple cool records, but never replicated that tunes success. Tons of people have sampled it or tried to rework it, and they all fall short of the magic in that original version.

Dirky
07-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Another nod to Soft Cell. I also enjoyed Fad Gadget who were a little more weirder than some of the others.

hyperspace
07-21-2009, 05:50 PM
New Order were probably the most influential electro band along with Kraftwerk. Depeche Mode were just a pop band that for some reason were taken far more seriously outside the UK.
Just like Coldplay(Puke)

Clind
07-21-2009, 07:42 PM
New Order

Nicole Dupre
07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Brian Eno influenced them all, so why bother voting? lol

"Baby's on FIRE!" ;)

Anyway, Gary Numan was more influential than D Mode. D Mode are ok and all, but they were one of many, and not really pioneers of anything imo.

Dirky
07-21-2009, 10:21 PM

"Baby's on FIRE!" ;)

Anyway, Gary Numan was more influential than D Mode. D Mode are ok and all, but they were one of many, and not really pioneers of anything imo.

Eno is fantastic. His first four solo albums are classics. I even dig his ambient stuff.

Nicole Dupre
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM

"Baby's on FIRE!" ;)

Eno is fantastic. His first four solo albums are classics. I even dig his ambient stuff.Me too. I actually think the Ambient albums are more durable.

Nicole Dupre
07-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Btw, the Stranglers never got the credit they deserved imo. But, then again, neither did the Doctors of Madness.

Dirky
07-21-2009, 11:08 PM
But, then again, neither did the Doctors of Madness.

Now there's a band who slipped through the cracks. Richard Strange!

Dirky
07-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Another band that tends to get overlooked is Ultravox. Early Ultravox that is with John Foxx.

Nicole Dupre
07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
KRAFTWERK

Yeah, they're German, but they still rule. :)

Dirky
07-21-2009, 11:18 PM
KRAFTWERK

I love me some krautrock and Kraftwerk were the kings.

Nicole Dupre
07-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Another band that tends to get overlooked is Ultravox. Early Ultravox that is with John Foxx.
Well, I think the class of '76 punk thing allowed lots of great music to surface. Sandinista is still, like, the best album ever. lol

Dirky
07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Well, I think the class of '76 punk thing allowed lots of great music to surface. Sandinista is still, like, the best album ever. lol

Funny thing is with Sandinista is, I hated it originally. Nowadays it the first album I'll go to when I'm in the mood to hear some Clash. It took me a long time to warm up to it though.

craigdouglas65
07-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Soft Cell didn't do the original of tainted love. Gloria Jones (Marc Bolan's gf) did it first, was an old northern soul tune. Don't forget the Human League 'dare' is awesome.
And on to the Clash- London Calling does it every time for me....Sandinista has some great tunes but would have made a better double lp not triple.
All down to taste tho innit, no one is right.

Dirky
07-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Does anyone like Suicide? The band, not the act. If it was actual suicide then you wouldn't be responding to this thread.

They're from NYC and not the UK but were a major influence on just about everyone mentioned here so far. I still get goosebumps whenever I listened to Frankie Teardrop.

Iggy
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Forget all other that shit, this is the real shit!
Play it loud!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0z6adZaRXo

PS Suicide were good too. All the rest are gay ha ha.

GinX
07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Two groups I gotta mention here: Erasure and Yaz (or Yazoo, as they are known in the UK). I think Vince Clarke is a genius. Alison Moyet and Andrew Bell are two amazing vocalists that, in my opinion, don't get anywhere near the credit they deserve.

Nicole Dupre
07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Does anyone like Suicide? The band, not the act. If it was actual suicide then you wouldn't be responding to this thread.

They're from NYC and not the UK but were a major influence on just about everyone mentioned here so far. I still get goosebumps whenever I listened to Frankie Teardrop.Yeah, they were pretty minimal but great. Alan Vega's solo stuff is also awesome.

farang
07-23-2009, 08:53 AM

Not only are you gorgeous Nicole you have excelent taste in music.The Clash are my favourite band and I was able to go and see them play twice in London.
Sandanista has been in my car multi changer for 6 months now.It has a few crap tracks but on the whole is a really good diverse album.
The Stranglers I have seen many times and their early stuff was superb.

Nicole Dupre
07-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Forget all other that shit, this is the real shit!
Play it loud!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0z6adZaRXo

PS Suicide were good too. All the rest are gay ha ha.That album blows away the one right after it imo.

Nicole Dupre
07-23-2009, 09:08 AM

Not only are you gorgeous Nicole you have excelent taste in music.The Clash are my favourite band and I was able to go and see them play twice in London.
Sandanista has been in my car multi changer for 6 months now.It has a few crap tracks but on the whole is a really good diverse album.
The Stranglers I have seen many times and their early stuff was superb.

Thanks. My tastes are pretty varied. Like, lately I've been trying to make sense of Kool Keith's last ten side projects. lol

hiwatt1000
07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
...let's see, Visage, [john foxx era] Ultravox, Magazine and Japan...vintage, I know-but that pap that followed in the early 80's was just pap-deluxe...Nicole-cool picks...

a994
07-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Legendary Pink Dots, baby!

transmaven
07-26-2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLmTJLEwss&fmty=18

I'm waiting for you

But you're very late

I know you'll come anyway

And I can hardly wait

Realgirls4me
07-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow, so many here are on my wavelength with regards to Ultravox, Vincent Clark, Depeche Mode, KRAFTWERK, The Stranglers, etc.

I don't think one would consider the following band a "synthesizer band", though just about every band, regardless of genre, seemingly utilized synthesizers during that era, but this band is one of my favorites, and -- AND -- they have reunited after 20 years and will go on tour soon. I hope they hit at least one west coast city during their tour here in the states. ... Regardless of where they play, I.AM.THERE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC1MqfF5fTs

:)

Nicole Dupre
07-26-2009, 03:21 PM
And let's just be honest. Devo rule! lol

Nicole Dupre
07-26-2009, 03:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLmTJLEwss&fmty=18

I'm waiting for you

But you're very late

I know you'll come anyway

And I can hardly wait

Wang Chung were not really very progressive, but i like them. Sort of in a 10CC way. lol

Deimos
07-27-2009, 02:45 AM
I love Depeche Mode

russtafa
07-27-2009, 05:34 AM
i agree yazoo are the best in vocals and toatal sound. i dont think they got any where in the states