PDA

View Full Version : Harvard professor arrested for being black

Solitary Brother
07-21-2009, 04:35 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/harvard.html

Jericho
07-21-2009, 04:56 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/harvard.html

Sounds to me like he was being arrested for being an arsehole, but i'm sure you can put a different spin on it!

rockabilly
07-21-2009, 05:08 AM
It was later revealed to have been a scene from Soul Man 2 the sequel nobody demanded. :lol:

Legend
07-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Yeah i was thinking he got arrested for being a loud and disruptive, i mean he was arrested after yelling at the oficer, it isn't like the officer arrived on the scene and arrested him.

Quiet Reflections
07-21-2009, 05:14 AM
from the police report it seems like he was being a bit of a dick but that town has a well earned reputation of racism and I'm sure the police officer had a few choice words that weren't in that report

Quiet Reflections
07-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Yeah i was thinking he got arrested for being a loud and disruptive, i mean he was arrested after yelling at the oficer, it isn't like the officer arrived on the scene and arrested him.
you are right. You cant just yell at a cop all willy-nilly

loren
07-21-2009, 05:22 AM
If he would've just shut his big mouth, he probably wouldn't have been arrested.

Quiet Reflections
07-21-2009, 05:25 AM
If he would've just shut his big mouth, he probably wouldn't have been arrested.
a person cant just mouth off at a cop but when a person feels that he is being discriminated against then its hard to stay quiet. I know i couldn't

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-21-2009, 05:40 AM
his stock just went up

he can now (if he chooses) leave Harvard and go to another University and probably have a best seller book on the NY Times list in the coming months if he so chooses.........

up until now no one really knew who he was

thx1138
07-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Another link to racism http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/17/police.racism.lawsuit/index.html A lot of cops ARE racist. And the reason I know is I have a family member who is one. (cop and racist). Funny thing is (kind of) he makes a big deal about going to church every Sunday.

freak
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
This was a catch 22 for the cop, if the house was really getting broken into and he didn't ask the Prof to come out the prof would have said the cop didn't want to investigate because he was black and didn't care if his home was under a home invasion.
This guy teaches at Harvard? arrogant asshole is what he is, plus he was the racist here not the cop.

alyssats
07-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Those Harvard students, nerd and geeky types are hot. Met a couple of guys from Harvard yum yum!

thx1138
07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
for the heinous crime of being "uppity" a term used mostly by descendants of former southern plantation owners.

deee757
07-21-2009, 03:45 PM
his stock just went up

he can now (if he chooses) leave Harvard and go to another University and probably have a best seller book on the NY Times list in the coming months if he so chooses.........

Nobody knew who Henry Louis Gates Jr was before now? are u serious?

Gates has been the recipient of nearly 50 honorary degrees and numerous academic and social action awards. He was named a MacArthur Fellow in 1981 and was listed in Time among its “25 Most Influential Americans” in 1997. On October 23, 2006, Gates was appointed the Alphonse Fletcher Jr. University Professor at Harvard University. In January 2008, he co-founded The Root, a website dedicated to African-American perspectives published by The Washington Post Company. Gates currently chairs the Fletcher Foundation, and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He is on the boards of many notable institutions including the New York Public Library, Jazz at Lincoln Center, the Aspen Institute, the Brookings Institution, the Studio Museum of Harlem, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, HEAF (the Harlem Educational Activities Fund), and the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, located in Stanford, California.[2]

In 2002 the National Endowment for the Humanities selected Gates for the Jefferson Lecture, the U.S. federal government's highest honor for achievement in the humanities.[9] Gates' lecture was entitled "Mister Jefferson and the Trials of Phillis Wheatley"[10] and was the basis for his book The Trials of Phillis Wheatley.[11]

In 2006, Gates was inducted into the Sons of the American Revolution after he traced his lineage back to John Redman, a Free Negro who fought in the Revolutionary War.[12]

The popular Harvard-area burger restaurant, Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage, sells a Professor Skip Gates burger topped with pineapple and teriyaki sauce.

All this and a man cant tell the police everything is ok, and they just leave?

Bobzz
07-21-2009, 04:08 PM
It was his frigging house and he identified himself by name and then showed them his Harvard ID but the cops didn't buy the explanation. So the professor justifiably got angry because it was fuckin racist. And then the cops arrested him. That's fucked up. We've heard of stops and arrests for being "Black while driving" and "Black while shopping". We got a new one, "Black while being at home". Nobody in this country ought to put up with this shit.

2009AD
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
It was his frigging house and he identified himself by name and then showed them his Harvard ID but the cops didn't buy the explanation. So the professor justifiably got angry because it was fuckin racist. And then the cops arrested him. That's fucked up. We've heard of stops and arrests for being "Black while driving" and "Black while shopping". We got a new one, "Black while being at home". Nobody in this country ought to put up with this shit.

LOL. Did you even read the article? :roll:

deee757
07-21-2009, 04:17 PM

lol, he had too cause thats the same thing the article said, lol

trish
07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
According to the linked article, "...Gates was arrested after he yelled at the investigating officer repeatedly inside the residence then followed the officer outside, where Gates continued to upbraid him." Also according the article, "He was booked for disorderly conduct..."

I may be wrong but generally disorderly conduct requires a public context; e.g. loitering, public intoxication, sun bathing nude in view of your neighbors etc. Had Gates not followed the officer outside to continue his tirade, there would've been nothing to hang on him.

Why Gates was upset with the officer to begin with is unclear to me. The officer may have said or done something inappropriate or something at least perceived by Gates as inappropriate. Good policemen are skilled at diffusing such situations. This one either wasn't, or didn't care to. Policemen are used to demanding and getting respect and Gates wasn't giving any. I can image some officers in this situation would be itching for a chance to arrest this uppity black professor. To create such an opportunity all the officer would have to do is continue the argument while luring Gates to step outside. That was Gates' mistake, he should [have] said good riddance at the door.

[edits in square brackets]

Bobzz
07-21-2009, 05:27 PM

DUH!

Megas
07-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Having seen Gates give a lecture at my alma mater, I can say that he's pretty freaking awesome. He's done a lot for academia and African-American studies throughout his career. Personally, he could have ass-raped the officer and poured sugar in the gas tank and I still think he should have not been arrested. He is just that awesome.

That being said, he hardly seems like the man who would have gotten into the predicament it seems he did. Although that doesn't make it an impossibility, I doubt the circumstances as reported by the police.

thx1138
07-21-2009, 06:48 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=akJAjYL66iMk

scroller
07-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Gates is like, enormously famous (possibly the most well-known academic today?). He can already teach anywhere he wants. He's written/edited 16 books and filmed/hosted 8 documentaries that play on PBS all the time. He was one of Time magazine's 25 Most Influential Americans. Didn't Harvard create the WEB Dubois chair just lure him from Duke?

Now, I'm not a big fan of Gates. Personally, I find him grating and I'm unable to watch his movies for long. He seems like just the kind of person to quickly and completely flip out at a cop and aggressively berate him.

That said, there's no way he deserves being arrested for this. There's a bunch of horror-movie scary stuff here: (1) Being required to show ID in your own home. (2) Being arrested for no crime whatsoever, just because a cop personally disliked something you said. (3) Being lured onto your front steps for a trumped-up "disorderly" charge.

I hope the cop loses his job, and I hope other cops learn from this. If it takes a Gates to demonstrate that cops serve the citizens, then it's the best thing he's done in his career.

Legend
07-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Isn't that a bit much, the guy doesn't deserve to lose his job he just arrested someone who was being loud and disruptive,you can't talk to cops any kind of way and expect nothing to happen just because this guy was a high class professor doesn't mean he deserved any kind of special treatment.Really if me or anyone on this forum would to get loud and disruptive with a cop we probably would get arrested,you have to be smart about these things.If you're stupid enough to get loud and belligerent with a cop you deserve to be arrestred no matter who you are.

scroller
07-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Isn't that a bit much, the guy doesn't deserve to lose his job he just arrested someone who was being loud and disruptive,you can't talk to cops any kind of way and expect nothing to happen just because this guy was a high class professor doesn't mean he deserved any kind of special treatment.Really if me or anyone on this forum would to get loud and disruptive with a cop we probably would get arrested...

Wrong for him, and wrong for the rest of us.

Charges have now been dropped according to AP: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090721/ap_on_re_us/us_harvard_scholar_disorderly

Bobzz
07-21-2009, 09:54 PM
If you're stupid enough to get loud and belligerent with a cop you deserve to be arrestred no matter who you are.

If a cop comes to your door, accuses you of B&E and then refuses to believe that you're who you claim to be, don't you think you'd get loud and belligerent? I'm thinking his response was within reason.

Legend
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
If you're stupid enough to get loud and belligerent with a cop you deserve to be arrestred no matter who you are.

If a cop comes to your door, accuses you of B&E and then refuses to believe that you're who you claim to be, don't you think you'd get loud and belligerent? I'm thinking his response was within reason.

He was arrested after showing his id and liscense, so i think they probably know he who he was, he was probably making a big deal about them coming to his home and wanting to see his i.d, the cops probably didn't have any kind of idea who he was before hand so they asked him to identify himself after all someone call them about a breaking and entering.

freak
07-22-2009, 12:19 AM

You read the article but you didn't understand it. He never accused him of B&E he said that someone reported a possible B&E, so the cop was following protocol, there was a possible home invasion going on.

So if anyone wants to do a home invasion in Boston this house is now open game, then cops will then be accused of not asking him out of his house because he is black, the truth would be because he is a ignorant asshole that likes to accuse people of being racist for trying to make sure he is safe.

Think about this, if it was a black cop that came to his door and asked him to do the exact same thing would he have reacted then same way? Who is the racist?

notdrunk
07-22-2009, 12:27 AM
He failed to listen to Chris Rock and he paid the price. Good chance that you will be arrested if you insult the officer's mother too.

Bobzz
07-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Maybe, just maybe, the cop was simply being an asshole and maybe, just maybe the good professor was itching for an opportunity to show that the system is biased against blacks (this is Boston, ya know). I'm pro cops but I'm also pro educators. I just think it's fucked up to have anyone get rousted out of their house and get arrested because he or she mouthed off to a cop.

Cops are not gods, they're people with guns, tough jobs and often, out of control egos. There's no shortage of egos with Harvard types either. This was one of those situations when an irresistible force meets an immovable object but an arrest? I don't think that's right.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-22-2009, 12:40 AM
his stock just went up

Gates has been the recipient of nearly 50 honorary degrees and numerous academic and social action awards. He was named a MacArthur Fellow in 1981 and was listed in Time among its “25 Most Influential Americans” in 1997. On October 23, 2006, Gates was appointed the Alphonse Fletcher Jr. University Professor at Harvard University. In January 2008, he co-founded The Root, a website dedicated to African-American perspectives published by The Washington Post Company. Gates currently chairs the Fletcher Foundation, and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He is on the boards of many notable institutions including the New York Public Library, Jazz at Lincoln Center, the Aspen Institute, the Brookings Institution, the Studio Museum of Harlem, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, HEAF (the Harlem Educational Activities Fund), and the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, located in Stanford, California.[2]

In 2002 the National Endowment for the Humanities selected Gates for the Jefferson Lecture, the U.S. federal government's highest honor for achievement in the humanities.[9] Gates' lecture was entitled "Mister Jefferson and the Trials of Phillis Wheatley"[10] and was the basis for his book The Trials of Phillis Wheatley.[11]

In 2006, Gates was inducted into the Sons of the American Revolution after he traced his lineage back to John Redman, a Free Negro who fought in the Revolutionary War.[12]

The popular Harvard-area burger restaurant, Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage, sells a Professor Skip Gates burger topped with pineapple and teriyaki sauce.

Deee, no disrespect but if you walked into any barbershop or stripclub or hair salon in the hood prior to his arrest the odds of anyone knowing who you were talking about had you said his name would have been rare if at all acknowledged.............cmon now.

deee757
07-22-2009, 01:19 AM
his stock just went up

Deee, no disrespect but if you walked into any barbershop or stripclub or hair salon in the hood prior to his arrest the odds of anyone knowing who you were talking about had you said his name would have been rare if at all acknowledged.............cmon now.

Not true, I dont know who has conversations in strip clubs, but in hair salons and barbershops gates and his work (along with Cornel West) are constant subjects. Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Man and The African American Century: How Black Americans Have Shaped Our Century Are some recent books discussed the last time I was in a barber shop. Not to mention any hip hop purest knows that he spoke on behalf of Two Live Crew's Luke Skywalker in his freedom of speech victory. Test your theroy and go into a black barbershop and see how many people are up on gates. Ask about cornell west too, he was not recently in the news.

ed_jaxon
07-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Educated bruhs are definitely up on both Gates and West. And the Barbershop is one of the last bastions of intellectual conversation.

peggygee
07-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Educated bruhs are definitely up on both Gates and West. And the Barbershop is one of the last bastions of intellectual conversation.

As well as tthe educated Sistahs. :wink:

You'd be surpised at the variety and depth pf the conversations that
we will have while undergoing our many hours of beautification.

Also, it is no secret the amount of racial profiling that happens on Harvard
Yard or at some of the other so-called ivy leauge schools in Boston.

Perhaps those of the caucasian persuasion believe that lady justuce is
color-blind, but we people of color, are painfully aware she is not.

ed_jaxon
07-22-2009, 02:13 AM
No doubt Peggy.

The beauty shop and barber shop both are places where things kind of equal out.

Everyone needs to get their hair done, both rich and poor. Also, by sitting in a confined space for hours on end it is natural to have wide ranging conversations.

SenorDouche
07-22-2009, 02:51 AM
Copy of the arrest report, here: http://bit.ly/oe9VA

Gates story: http://www.theroot.com/views/lawyers-statement-arrest-henry-louis-gates-jr

Bruh should've checked himself. Don't care how emo you get, cops have guns and have been taught to control situations. Gates losing control and calling the cop a "racist" ratcheted up the emotions of the situation. All Gates had to do was explain himself and let the officer make sure nothing was amiss.

Imagine your career going down the tubes as a black guy called you a racist for no apparent reason and you could see the conundrum the officer faced (he was responding to a call of a man breaking into a house). The cop allowed them both to save face by leaving, but Gates wouldn't let it go.

The cop had little choice but to arrest him, as needless as it was.

The charges will be dropped, but Harvard should reprimand him for being a total d-bag.

LittleGuy
07-22-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm scared of white cops.

tubgirl
07-22-2009, 03:42 AM
i'm scared of black professors...

BLKGSXR
07-22-2009, 03:44 AM
i'm scared of black professors...im scared of your avatar;

scroller
07-22-2009, 04:22 AM
his stock just went up

Nobody knew who Henry Louis Gates Jr was before now? are u serious?...

Ah, so your comment about angling for moving from Harvard to another University was in reference to hood-based/stripclub-directed institutions of higher learning. That makes more sense.

Helvis2012
07-22-2009, 04:51 AM
Reading comprehension is an under-rated skill.

Too bad.

freak
07-22-2009, 05:27 AM
And not for nothing but if a white man had the same accomplishments as Gates does, he wouldn't be called a public intellectual he would be called a racist, a card carrying member of the White supremacist.
Also if he is such a great professor why was he refused tenure at Yale, that is where he graduated from. Was he difficult or too arrogant for Yale? Or did Yale see him for what he was, a racist time bomb going to explode like he did.

2009AD
07-22-2009, 06:56 AM
And not for nothing but if a white man had the same accomplishments as Gates does, he wouldn't be called a public intellectual he would be called a racist, a card carrying member of the White supremacist.

uh? :?: :?: :?: :?:

flabbybody
07-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Most police officers are not out and out racists but they become confrontational with a black person more quickly than with a white person. That's just they way it is.
Reach your own conclusion about this incident but don't forget that.

Solitary Brother
07-24-2009, 01:36 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/23/obama-stands-by-criticism_n_243848.html

Obama agrees with me.

Kramer
07-24-2009, 01:56 AM
He was playing up the whole "black victim" bullshit! What a piece of garbage he is. From what I read he was forcing himself againt the door, thus looking like a break in. He should have a homeboy break into his house! You think he'd want an officer there as fast as possible? :roll:

trish
07-24-2009, 02:06 AM
So "playing up the black victim bullshit" is a criminal offence? The officer was out of line and unprofessional.

jjhill
07-24-2009, 02:08 AM
So "playing up the black victim bullshit" is a criminal offence?

hmmm trish u look familiar lol

Kramer
07-24-2009, 02:08 AM

Uh, never said that Trish. He got taken in because he was acting like a whiney bitch.

trish
07-24-2009, 02:15 AM
Then you must agree the arrest was unjustified.

Beagle
07-24-2009, 02:20 AM
The officer was a expert trained in diversity training and racial profiling.

If you take the time to actually read the arrest report you will find that Gates was being an asshole.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates2.html

And it sound to me like Gates was/is trying to make this a racial issue when it's not.

If I were Gates I would have been glad someone was looking after his property and trying to help.

Perhaps if Gates' house should ever be really burglarized in the future, I wonder if Police will be so willing to respond.

Kramer
07-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Then you must agree the arrest was unjustified.

Of course it was unjustified. Gates was busting their shoes, so he got it right back. He was disorderly, they can do that.

Gates is putting a racial angle on it, when none existed. He is a piece of garbage. Im sure everyday at Harvard he cries somekind of racism! Its his effing job!

SarahG
07-24-2009, 02:27 AM

Uh, never said that Trish. He got taken in because he was acting like a whiney bitch.

Exactly.

The problem is its totally within your rights to be a "whiney bitch."

There's no law that says you have to be polite when dealing with the police.

There's a problem, IMHO a big problem, when cops have the power to tase, beat, or arrest anyone who is simply rude to them. Suppose a cop pulled me over for something, found nothing was wrong, and I called him an idiot for it... should that then give the cop in question to tase me, beat me, or throw me in jail on some irrelevant charge? No.

There are polite people in this world, and there are asshats. For better or worse, being an asshat poses only social consequences, not legal ones.

trish
07-24-2009, 02:32 AM
So a black professor was unjustifiably arrested for spouting that whiny old bullshit about racism. Hmmmm, so why was it bullshit?

SarahG
07-24-2009, 02:56 AM
It's not racism to want to see ID when:

1- Someone reported a break in
2- There is reason to believe a break in occurred (breaking free a jammed door in this case).

The police would have wanted to see ID under identical circumstances if the resident were white.

The unethical act was arresting him when he got rude about the ID request.

But that doesn't make that same act a racist one... its pretty easy to show that there is a massive problem in this country with power hungry cops tasing, beating, and/or arresting ANYONE who either insults them, or isn't polite enough, or doesn't comply fast enough. What evidence is there, besides the fact that the resident is black, that race had anything to do with the arrest?

Beagle
07-24-2009, 03:02 AM
The more I think about it the more I suspect that Gates looks for these kind situations so as to further his own agenda.

I'm sure he was aware that the police approached him and his house because it appeared to someone that someone was trying to break and enter the property.

So, instead of thanking the officer for looking into a suspicious situation, I bet that Gates decided to act in a way to provoke a situation that he could claim was racially motivated.

You see, I think there was racism that night and it was Gates who acted racially. I believe that if it were a black cop who approached Gates, this would have been a non-issue - but seeing the officer was white, I think he acted in a racially biased manner and acted differently.

You wouldn't have even known about this if it were a whiny, screaming white asshole Professor.

But that just my opinion.

masterR
07-24-2009, 03:06 AM
I know two wrongs don t make a right, But what do two Assh#les make. This is not a race Issue its an EGO issue , In one corner Very Smart Professor in other corner Guy With a badge and a gun. usually my money is on the badge and gun. The thing is this I figure the Professor is agitated that previously His home was broken into with No Police, now he is trying to get into his home that was Robbed and the COPS are hassling HIM . I think the two were just frustrated. Both need to go to Maturity Classes, thats All ,Peace

Beagle
07-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Oh, and Gates was much more than rude. He was screaming and making public scene and following the officer.

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT... Gates' behaviour was planned and purposeful. There was not ONE thing about Crowley's approach or behaviour that could be considered racist.

Beagle
07-24-2009, 03:13 AM
I know two wrongs don t make a right, But what do two Assh#les make. This is not a race Issue its an EGO issue , In one corner Very Smart Professor in other corner Guy With a badge and a gun. usually my money is on the badge and gun. The thing is this I figure the Professor is agitated that previously His home was broken into with No Police, now he is trying to get into his home that was Robbed and the COPS are hassling HIM . I think the two were just frustrated. Both need to go to Maturity Classes, thats All ,Peace

Please explain, exactly how Gates was hassled?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates1.html

Crowley acted maturely and was composed. The Professor is the one who should attend a racial tolerance class - perhaps he can learn that not all white people are out to get him.

deee757
07-24-2009, 03:18 AM
If the cop leaves the scene without asking for ID and something was actually going on than he would be fired. The cop was doing his job, than gates followed him. Someone said on an earlier post that playing the race card and being an a-hole is not against the law and I agree with that. The cop should have got in the car and let gates run his mouth. He has got to use his judgment, even if gates was white the cop has to know that everyone in that community has connections that will make any simple charges go away.

tsbrenda
07-24-2009, 03:26 AM
you might not know who he is but he is world famous

his stock just went up

masterR
07-24-2009, 03:28 AM
Beagle HASSLED imagine your house or car was broken into Previously and then the police start asking you for ID or asking you any thing while your in your own Property don t you think thats being Hassled?

Beagle
07-24-2009, 03:30 AM
you might not know who he is but he is world famous

Yes he is. And it is a real shame that he's getting more well known for something that will reflect negatively on him, instead of something positive and uplifting.

tsbrenda
07-24-2009, 03:35 AM
ISSUE IT WAS THE POLICE INSISTENCE THAT GATES STEP OUTSIDE WHICH CAUSED THE ISSUES.

GATES REFUSED TO STEP OUTSIDE AFTER THE OFFICER SEEN THE iD and verified that it was his home. the officer claim that he wanted to make sure no suspects were in the house

Beagle
07-24-2009, 03:35 AM
Beagle HASSLED imagine your house or car was broken into Previously and then the police start asking you for ID or asking you any thing while your in your own Property don t you think thats being Hassled?

Absolutely not.

If I were locked out of my house and the Police came by - I would be upset if they didn't ask me for ID. And I would be really upset if they just took my word that I was the homeowner.

And after I showed the cop the ID and all was settled, I would be tempted to send a thank you card to the cop.

So, no - I don't get your point at all.

masterR
07-24-2009, 03:41 AM
We just have different Opinions, See no harm no foul . Peace my brother

Beagle
07-24-2009, 03:41 AM
ISSUE IT WAS THE POLICE INSISTENCE THAT GATES STEP OUTSIDE WHICH CAUSED THE ISSUES.

GATES REFUSED TO STEP OUTSIDE AFTER THE OFFICER SEEN THE iD and verified that it was his home. the officer claim that he wanted to make sure no suspects were in the house

Brenda,

That is not what is in the Police Report. Gates was acting up at the very first contact. But even if what you say is correct...

What if there was an intruder already in the house prior to Gates getting home and what if Gates was in danger?

That's a very possible scenario and one that a trained, dedicated cop would be aware of.

I haven't read anything so far to make me believe the cop wasnt anything but professional and polite.

AND...

I have always disagreed with 90 percent of President Obama's policies and politics. But until he weighed in on the Gates issue, I always thought he was above petty nonsense. His comment that the police acted "Stupidly" was way way overboard. He admitted he didn't know the whole story and yet he made a comment that was hurtful and damaging to this cop. Shameful. Obama owes this cop an apology.

This is all a friggin shame. I grew up believing Dr King - not to judge someone by their color but by their character. But now it seems that in the future, if there is ever a disturbance at Gates' property, only a black cop will do.

This ain't the country I envisioned.

tsbrenda
07-24-2009, 03:54 AM
by INSIDE EDITION and GATES AND POLICE OFFICER CROWLEY

this is bullshit the police allways tell these perfect stories if you belive them. thats to stop all the lawsuits

masterR
07-24-2009, 03:55 AM
you go Brenda

Beagle
07-24-2009, 03:59 AM

this is bullshit the police allways tell these perfect stories if you belive them. thats to stop all the lawsuits

Oh, I get it, from now on we just automatically disbelieve anything the cops have to say, is that it?

Does that apply to all cops? Or just cops of a certain color?

Is there ANY evidence whatsoever that Crowley acted inappropriately? Anything???

Maybe Gates should bring charges against the police force and the cop. That way we could hear his side of the story.

How about that?

masterR
07-24-2009, 04:04 AM
on a different note , whats better Tsseduction or transexdomination

tsbrenda
07-24-2009, 04:05 AM
refusing to allow crowly to search his house and refusal of the officers to show id and badge # when requested

Beagle
07-24-2009, 04:26 AM
Where can I find this information?

tsbrenda
07-24-2009, 04:33 AM
INSIDE EDITION

I seen the news show and it was explained
but I notice that different media outlets tell a different story

http://insideedition.com/news.aspx?storyId=3182

http://insideedition.com/news.aspx?storyId=3187

Where can I find this information?

SarahG
07-24-2009, 04:39 AM
refusing to allow crowly to search his house and refusal of the officers to show id and badge # when requested

Which in and of itself happens quite frequently. How many tasing videos (Or videos of cops breaking traffic/vehicular law) have we seen online where, on tape, the victim was asking police for names and/or badge #'s only to be tased instead?

The whole "I am the one with the badge & gun, therefore I get to do whatever I want and beat up anyone who dares question me" practice has to go out the window. It's not a race thing, but a civil liberty thing- that kind of behavior is only accepted practice in police states...

2009AD
07-24-2009, 04:42 AM
On Thursday July 16, 2009, Henry Gates, Jr. - -, of Ware Street, Cambridge, MA) was placed under arrest at Ware Street, after being observed exhibiting loud and tumultuous behavior, in a public place, directed at a uniformed police officer who was present investigating a report of a crime in progress. These actions on the behalf of Gates served no legitimate purpose and caused citizens passing by this location to stop and take notice while appearing surprised and alarmed.

...When I arrived at Ware Street I radioed ECC and asked that they have the caller meet me at the front door to this residence. I was told that the caller was already outside. As I was getting this information, I climbed the porch stairs toward the front door. As [reached the door, a female voice called out to me. I looked in the direction of the voice and observed a white female, later identified {} who was standing on the sidewalk in front of the residence, held a wireless telephone in her hand arid told me that it was she who called. She went on to tell me that she observed what appeared to be two black males with backpacks on the porch of• Ware Street. She told me that her suspicions were aroused when she observed one of the men wedging his shoulder into the door as if he was trying to force entry. Since I was the only police officer on location and had my back to the front door as I spoke with her, I asked that she wait for other responding officers while I investigated further.

As I turned and faced the door, I could see an older black male standing in the foyer of {} Ware Street. I made this observation through the glass paned front door. As I stood in plain view of this man, later identified as Gates, I asked if he would step out onto the porch and speak with me. He replied “no I will not”. He then demanded to know who I was. I told him that I was “Sgt. Crowley from the Cambridge Police” and that I was “investigating a report of a break in progress” at the residence. While I was making this statement, Gates opened the front door and exclaimed “why, because I’m a black man in America?”. I then asked Gates if there was anyone else in the residence. While yelling, he told me that it was none of my business and accused me of being a racist police officer. I assured Gates that I was responding to a citizen’s call to the Cambridge Police and that the caller was outside as we spoke. Gates seemed to ignore me and picked up a cordless telephone and dialed an unknown telephone number. As he did so, I radioed on channel I that I was off in the residence with someone who appeared to be a resident but very uncooperative. I then overheard Gates asking the person on the other end of his telephone call to “get the chief’ and “whats the chiefs name?’. Gates was telling the person on the other end of the call that he was dealing with a racist police officer in his home. Gates then turned to me and told me that I had no idea who I was “messing” with and that I had not heard the last of it. While I was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence, I was quite surprised and confused with the behavior he exhibited toward me. I asked Gates to provide me with photo identification so that I could verify that he resided at Ware Street and so that I could radio my findings to ECC. Gates initially refused, demanding that I show him identification but then did supply me with a Harvard University identification card. Upon learning that Gates was affiliated with Harvard, I radioed and requested the presence of the Harvard University Police.

With the Harvard University identification in hand, I radioed my findings to ECC on channel two and prepared to leave. Gates again asked for my name which I began to provide. Gates began to yell over my spoken words by accusing me of being a racist police officer and leveling threats that he wasn’t someone to mess with. At some point during this exchange, I became aware that Off. Carlos Figueroa was standing behind me. When Gates asked a third time for my name, I explained to him that I had provided it at his request two separate times. Gates continued to yell at me. I told Gates that I was leaving his residence and that if he had any other questions regarding the matter, I would speak with him outside of the residence.

As I began walking through the foyer toward the front door, I could hear Gates agai,n demanding my name. I again told Gates that I would speak with him outside. My reason for wanting to leave the residence was that Gates was yelling very loud and the acoustics of the kitchen and foyer were making it difficult for me to transmit pertinent information to ECC or other responding units. His reply was “ya, I’ll speak with your mama outside”. When I left the residence, I noted that there were several Cambridge and Harvard University police officers assembled on the sidewalk in front of the residence. Additionally, the caller, md at least seven unidentified passers-by were looking in the direction of Gates, who had followed me outside of the residence.

As I descended the stairs to the sidewalk, Gates continued to yell at me, accusing me of racial bias and continued to tell me that I had not heard the last of him. Due to the tumultuous manner Gates had exhibited in his residence as well as his continued tumultuous behavior outside the residence, in view of the public, I warned Gates that he was becoming disorderly. Gates ignored my warning and continued to yell, which drew the attention of both the police officers and citizens, who appeared surprised and alarmed by Gates’s outburst. For a second time I warned Gates to calm down while I withdrew my department issued handcuffs from their carrying case. Gates again ignored my warning and continued to yell at me. It was at this time that I informed Gates that he was under arrest. I then stepped up the stairs, onto the porch and attempted to place handcuffs on Gates. Gates initially resisted my attempt to handcuff him, yelling that he was “disabled” and would fall without his cane. After the handcuffs were property applied, Gates complained that they were too tight. I ordered Off. Ivey, who was among the responding officers, to handcuff Gates with his arms in front of him for his comfort while I secured a cane for Gates from within the residence. I then asked Gates if he would like an officer to take possession of his house key and secure his front door, which he left wide open. Gates told me that the door was un securable due to a previous break attempt at the residence. Shortly thereafter, a Harvard University maintenance person arrived on scene and appeared familiar with Gates. I asked Gates if he was comfortable with this Harvard University maintenance person securing his residence. He told me that he was.

Legend
07-24-2009, 04:45 AM
"This is what happens to a black man in america"

"you don't know who your messing with"

on the phone "get the chief,whats the chief's name"

When the officer asks gates to step outside gates to speak with him, he replied with "i'll speak with your momma outside"

LOL, this guy is a arrogant jerk.If any of you think that you can say that stuff to any cop and not get arrested you have no idea how the real world works.

SarahG
07-24-2009, 04:50 AM
LOL, this guy is a arrogant jerk.If any of you think that you can say that stuff to any cop and not get arrested you have no idea how the real world works.

Clearly the cop just got tired of it and had two options, simply leave, or arrest him on some irrelevant charge. Probably because of how TO'd the cop was, he went with the later.

I'd agree with you that "that's how the real world works," yelling at cops never gets you anywhere and usually does the opposite... BUT, that doesn't mean the police have a right to beat, tase, or arrest people simply for pissing them off.

If someone walked up to me, insulted me, and I reacted by impulsively tasing them or beating them with a stick, that would be called battery. Simply having a shield doesn't entitle you to man handle people who offend you.

The "disorderly" behavior of the professor was because of law enforcement's presence. Their job was done as soon as they saw it was a false alarm, if they had simply left- the neighborhood would have gone back to normal (after all, without law enforcement there would be no one there for him to yell at!).

2009AD
07-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Ah, SarahG, your comments are always a breath of fresh air.

The policeman could have walked away, but Gates had pushed him too far. The arrest charge was weak. Gates was not arrested for being black, he was arrested for being an asshole.

Clearly the cop just got tired of it and had two options, simply leave, or arrest him on some irrelevant charge. Probably because of how TO'd the cop was, he went with the later.

I'd agree with you that "that's how the real world works," yelling at cops never gets you anywhere and usually does the opposite... BUT, that doesn't mean the police have a right to beat, tase, or arrest people simply for pissing them off.

If someone walked up to me, insulted me, and I reacted by impulsively tasing them or beating them with a stick, that would be called battery. Simply having a shield doesn't entitle you to man handle people who offend you.

The "disorderly" behavior of the professor was because of law enforcement's presence. Their job was done as soon as they saw it was a false alarm, if they had simply left- the neighborhood would have gone back to normal (after all, without law enforcement there would be no one there for him to yell at!).

Legend
07-24-2009, 05:18 AM

I agree with you they don't have a right to do any of that and a person shouldn't be arrested for acting like a arrogant jerk but i know how things work and i take it you do to sarah.Gates should have complied with them and just stfu.

SarahG
07-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Ah, SarahG, your comments are always a breath of fresh air.

Always? Oh come on now, let's be realistic LOL.

I have a (bad) habit of getting carried away in social-political arguments.

Getting back ot, this story, just sucks.

I really have a hard time seeing why all the fuss over a cop wanting to see ID when there had been a break in reported. What was the officer REALLY supposed to do here, just say "I don't have any reason to believe you,but I'll just take your word at you saying you live here and leave now. Sorry for the inconvenience." :roll:

That said;
The officer didn't get him to go outside because of the acoustics of the room, he was just baiting the professor into going outside so the officer would have a reason to arrest him (this is part of their training as a tactic to use in domestic disturbances btw).

LittleGuy
07-24-2009, 05:28 AM

Oh, I get it, from now on we just automatically disbelieve anything the cops have to say, is that it?

Does that apply to all cops? Or just cops of a certain color?

Is there ANY evidence whatsoever that Crowley acted inappropriately? Anything???

Maybe Gates should bring charges against the police force and the cop. That way we could hear his side of the story.

How about that?

Hi Cop

LittleGuy
07-24-2009, 05:30 AM
Legend you still part of the klan? White Power......Not

Kramer
07-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Its so obvious that race had nothing to do with this. Gates cried racism because thats what he does all day at Harvard, its his life.

What is really disgusting is how the liberal media is making him look like a victim. The cops were simply there to protect his home that appeared to be broken in to. The first person that reported this told the cops that 2 black men were on the porch. This cant be profiling either beacuse the race of the suspects were announced. Were the cops supposed to look for Chinese or White people on the porch? Gates is obviously full of shit, as is his whole being! :twisted:

trish
07-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Kramer. You already admitted that Gates was unjustifiably arrested for complaining to the officer about racist treatment. Arresting him for that particular reason IS racism. How blind are you?? If he followed the officer outside while loudly recommending an excellent nearby fishing-hole, do you think he would’ve been arrested for disorderly conduct???

El Nino
07-24-2009, 07:25 AM
I posted my thoughts in another similar thread, but thought worthy to post here, as well..

If I may chime in here for a second... Ok, well it is clear that corporate mainstream media is swallowing this story up and turning it into a race based issue (again). At least that is a primary angle of the story that they are spewing out. Here's the deal wit THAT. They are skirting around the MAIN ISSUE and not talking about it at all. That is, the fact that we live in a friggin police state and if anybody is aware and knowledgable of their Civil Rights (apparently this guy was, as he stood up for himself) they will get bullied around and charged with something (anything that they can throw at you, actually). The Constitutional Rights this guy was presenting the police with, got shit and pissed on and flushed down the toilet about 9 years ago, thanks to 9/11. Most people aren't even aware of their Rights, and this is the sad part. Once again, this story is not a race based issue people; it's totalitarianism. You won't here the media talk about this either. Dr. King Jr. spoke of this very concept though and look where it got him!?!

2009AD
07-24-2009, 07:43 AM
we live in a friggin police state

Sure we do. :screwy :screwy :screwy :screwy :screwy :screwy :screwy

tsbrenda
07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
totalitarianism,police state

yes! so true

totalitarianism: the political concept that the citizen should be totally subject to an absolute state authority

:x :x :x :x :x

2009AD
07-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Dude, you're an idiot.

yes! so true

totalitarianism: the political concept that the citizen should be totally subject to an absolute state authority

El Nino
07-24-2009, 07:52 AM

OK, fair enough pal... but next time you get pulled over and a cop wants to search your car, and you tell him "no" under the guise of your 4th Amendment privacy rights; take note what happens, please.

El Nino
07-24-2009, 07:54 AM

yes! so true

Well, popular trends in fairly recent legislation definitely don't indicate trends in the opposite direction now, do they?

El Nino
07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Dude, you're an idiot.

yes! so true

Hey AD, don't call me an idiot untill you get yourself educated about novel laws and executive orders, which nullify Constitutional Rights; and then get at me. Boy oh boy, I can smell the cognitive dissonance from here

phobun
07-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I posted my thoughts in another similar thread, but thought worthy to post here, as well..

If I may chime in here for a second... Ok, well it is clear that corporate mainstream media is swallowing this story up and turning it into a race based issue (again). At least that is a primary angle of the story that they are spewing out. Here's the deal wit THAT. They are skirting around the MAIN ISSUE and not talking about it at all. That is, the fact that we live in a friggin police state and if anybody is aware and knowledgable of their Civil Rights (apparently this guy was, as he stood up for himself) they will get bullied around and charged with something (anything that they can throw at you, actually). The Constitutional Rights this guy was presenting the police with, got shit and pissed on and flushed down the toilet about 9 years ago, thanks to 9/11. Most people aren't even aware of their Rights, and this is the sad part. Once again, this story is not a race based issue people; it's totalitarianism. You won't here the media talk about this either. Dr. King Jr. spoke of this very concept though and look where it got him!?!

I'm with you El Nino... James Earl Ray never killed MLK, it was a conspiracy by those pursuing totalitarianism... the zionist Illuminati, no doubt. Similarly, the cop was only there the other night to plant thermite, so as to achieve a controlled demolition and silence a person who opposes oppression.

SarahG
07-24-2009, 07:58 AM

OK, fair enough pal... but next time you get pulled over and a cop wants to search your car, and you tell him "no" under the guise of your 4th Amendment privacy rights; take note what happens, please.

Bad example because the delusion that driving is a privilege and not a right.

Otherwise I am inclined to agree with you, the only reason why anyone cares about this story is because the professor is a famous professor from a famous university. Had this happened to any "average" middle class or working class American, of either sex, either race, or either political ideology, this would have never made the news.

I would consider a defining element of a police state to be allowing cops to beat up and/or punish anyone who offends them. Not only is this standard operating procedure in the United States, but its often defended by Americans themselves.

Example: all the people who thought it was a big fucking joke when the "don't taze me bro" tazing went down. A joke? The guy was being tazed simply because he was being an asshat punk. Not only was there nothing criminal going on, but the politician whose lecture was disrupted wanted the police to leave him alone so that his questions could be answered. Inflicting pain on someone simply because they were rude, when they broke no law, and then joking about it, is not a characteristic I would find common to a country that is NOT a police state.

2009AD
07-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Is your name "TSBrenda?" Learn to read.

Dude, you're an idiot.

yes! so true

Hey AD, don't call me an idiot untill you get yourself educated about novel laws and executive orders, which nullify Constitutional Rights; and then get at me. Boy oh boy, I can smell the cognitive dissonance from here

Beagle
07-24-2009, 08:09 AM
This thread is getting more fun every minute. Police State? Totalitarianism? Cognitive Dissonance? Buahahahaaa!!!

The only absolute state authority I'm worried about is the kind put down by Obama and the other "statists".

BTW:

Strangest HA statement: 1)
tsbrenda wrote:
BRAZILIAN IS A MIX OF AFRICAN ANCESTRY AND PUERTO RICAN

Well, tsbrenda should know...after all she is an M.D. Heh.

El Nino
07-24-2009, 08:40 AM

I'm with you El Nino... James Earl Ray never killed MLK, it was a conspiracy by those pursuing totalitarianism... the zionist Illuminati, no doubt. Similarly, the cop was only there the other night to plant thermite, so as to achieve a controlled demolition and silence a person who opposes oppression.

FTW Nano-thermite was found in the rubble, brah.... documented.

El Nino
07-24-2009, 08:43 AM

Bad example because the delusion that driving is a privilege and not a right.

Otherwise I am inclined to agree with you, the only reason why anyone cares about this story is because the professor is a famous professor from a famous university. Had this happened to any "average" middle class or working class American, of either sex, either race, or either political ideology, this would have never made the news.

I would consider a defining element of a police state to be allowing cops to beat up and/or punish anyone who offends them. Not only is this standard operating procedure in the United States, but its often defended by Americans themselves.

Example: all the people who thought it was a big fucking joke when the "don't taze me bro" tazing went down. A joke? The guy was being tazed simply because he was being an asshat punk. Not only was there nothing criminal going on, but the politician whose lecture was disrupted wanted the police to leave him alone so that his questions could be answered. Inflicting pain on someone simply because they were rude, when they broke no law, and then joking about it, is not a characteristic I would find common to a country that is NOT a police state.

Cool points. Another point to lead one to see that we are heading in the direction of a police state would be to look at the % of our population in federal and state prisons. Shit's off the charts, bitches...

El Nino
07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
The title of this thread "Harvard Prof. Arrested for Being Black" needs to be corrected and retitled, "Harvard Professor, Aware Of His Civil Rights, Attempts To Use Them And Pisses Off A Cop Resulting In A Bogus Criminal Offense"!!!

barefootjoe69
07-24-2009, 09:23 AM
The title of this thread "Harvard Prof. Arrested for Being Black" needs to be corrected and retitled, "Harvard Professor, Aware Of His Civil Rights, Attempts To Use Them And Pisses Off A Cop Resulting In A Bogus Criminal Offense"!!!

How about" Self Righteous Arrogant Harvard Professor gives Police a hard time while they are trying to protect His property"

SarahG
07-24-2009, 09:28 AM

How about" Self Righteous Arrogant Harvard Professor gives Police a hard time while they are trying to protect His property"

Why stop there?

How about:

"Self righteous arrogant Harvard Professor gives police a hard time when trying to investigate report of a break in, police are offended, police retaliate by convincing him to walk outside so they can arrest him on trumped up charges when no law has actually been broken."

Deimos
07-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Another link to racism http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/17/police.racism.lawsuit/index.html A lot of cops ARE racist. And the reason I know is I have a family member who is one. (cop and racist). Funny thing is (kind of) he makes a big deal about going to church every Sunday.

LOL that made me chuckle. As if going to church will your make the relative's bad karma go away lol.

scroller
07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
The police report is interesting, because it rather transparently reeks so very much. (1) It admits the cop was doubly convinced that Gates was the homeowner even prior to asking for ID. (2) The fact the he "told Gates he'd given him his badge twice", when nowhere in the report does he say actually gave him his badge, so the cop was lying. (3) The fact that he walked outside because of acoustics is completely unbelievable. (4) The fact the he was threatening Gates with cuffs before arresting him.

Yeah, on balance now I assume that all cops are lying. I'm surprised that the official report makes it so incredibly self-evident.

My attitude (as I've expressed to friends today) is that I'm astonished that Gates went so far out of his way to be accomodating to the cop. Everyone agrees he provided multiple forms of ID. If I had a cop in my house, would I do that? NO WAY.

Everything I hear from lawyers is say nothing, nothing, nothing to a cop. Give (1) name, (2) address, (3) reason for being where you are (depending on state) and zero, zilch, nothing else. In Gates' situation I would have sat on the couch and said nothing, nothing, no ID or anything. I think Gates was TOO ACCOMODATING, if anything.

In counter to the police report, here's Gates' statement today. It makes a whole lot more sense than the self-contradictory police report. The guy walks with a cane. He has bronchitis from his trip so he can't physically yell:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/charges_to_be_d.html

“The police report is full of this man’s broad imagination,” Gates said in response to a question on whether he had said any of the quotes in the report. “I said, ‘Are you not giving me your name and badge number because I’m a black man in America?’ . . . He treated my request with scorn. . . I was suffering from a bronchial infection. I couldn’t have yelled. . . I don’t walk around calling white people racist.”

Gates continued, “I’m outraged. I shouldn’t have been treated this way but it makes me so keenly aware of how many people every day experience abuses in the criminal justice system ... No citizen should tolerate that kind of poor behavior by an officer of the law. . . This is really about justice for the least amongst us.”

Yeah, in cases like this it's pretty easy to assume that it's the cops who are lying. Seeing the police report in this case just double-reinforces it.

beandip
07-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Scroller wrote:

My attitude (as I've expressed to friends today) is that I'm astonished that Gates went so far out of his way to be accomodating to the cop. Everyone agrees he provided multiple forms of ID. If I had a cop in my house, would I do that? NO WAY.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Then you would be arrested just like this whining cunt Gates.

You are obligated by law to surrender your ID when asked, refusal to do so will get you arrested.

beandip
07-24-2009, 01:53 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/07/23/officer_at_eye_of_storm_says_he_wont_apologize/?page=1

Yea, cop is clearly a racist....

"When Sergeant James M. Crowley climbed the front steps of Henry Louis Gates Jr.’s house last week and unexpectedly placed himself in international headlines, it was not the first time he had a memorable encounter in the line of duty with a prominent black man. Nearly 16 years ago, as a Brandeis University police officer, Crowley desperately tried to save the life of Reggie Lewis after the Boston Celtics star collapsed while practicing in the school gym."

"Crowley was a certified emergency medical technician when he performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Lewis, to no avail, after the player’s heart stopped on July 27, 1993. In a Globe interview later that day, Crowley said he rushed to the university’s Shapiro Gymnasium, confirmed that Lewis had no pulse, and frantically tried to revive him.

“I just kept on going,’’ he said. “I just kept thinking, ‘Don’t let him die - just don’t die.’ ’’

"But people who know Crowley were skeptical or outright dismissive of allegations of racism. A prominent defense lawyer, a neighbor of Crowley’s, his union, and fellow officers described him yesterday as a respected, and respectful, officer who performs his job well and has led his colleagues in diversity training."

yup, definitely a racist....the nerve of him teaching diversity training......

Kramer
07-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Kramer. You already admitted that Gates was unjustifiably arrested for complaining to the officer about racist treatment. Arresting him for that particular reason IS racism. How blind are you?? If he followed the officer outside while loudly recommending an excellent nearby fishing-hole, do you think he would’ve been arrested for disorderly conduct???

OMG!! He wasnt arrested because he's black! He was arrested because he was disorderly! Thats not racism. He was the one spewing hate! My God, open your eyes!

Kramer
07-24-2009, 04:06 PM

That about sums it up! What a jerk this Gates guy is. I hope his house gets robbed.............see who he calls then!

trish
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
OMG, Kramer, you're making the classic mistake of conflating the charge with the reason for the charge :) Open your sleepy little eyes.

chefmike
07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Watching the news conference now...boy howdy...this shit ain't going away for a while...

chefmike
07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
It occurs to me that the reason why most white folks can't relate to this is that even trailer park crackers, who BTW are fair game for anyone to ridicule political correctness apparently does not apply to poor whites, the point being that even the average redneck trailer park resident would probably have been treated better by the cops than this Harvard professor...

scroller
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Then you would be arrested just like this whining cunt Gates... You are obligated by law to surrender your ID when asked, refusal to do so will get you arrested.

No, that is incorrect.

Police may question a person detained in a Terry stop, but in general, the detainee is not required to answer.[9] However, many states have “stop-and-identify” laws... In Hiibel, the Court held, in a 5-4 decision, that a Nevada “stop-and-identify” law did not violate the United States Constitution. The Court’s opinion implied that a detainee was not required to produce written identification, but could satisfy the requirement merely by stating his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

Notes: It's different in a traffic stop, you do have to surrender written ID there. There are some few states that have laws requiring presentation of written ID (untested in court thus far), like Colorado. And my strong opinion is that even the "stop-and-identify" laws should be struck down as unconstitutional under the 5th Amendment, but that's the state of the law as of today.

Tanuki
07-25-2009, 12:34 AM
. i was in a similar situation once. cops stormed my house.. i accidently triggered my alarm and didnt know what was goin on...15 cops came in like swat.. they dont know what they are getting themselves into.. they are just as scared as i was.. i was shaking and couldnt find my wallet.. it was tense for a minute or two.. HAD I ACTED like an asshole.. it would have made it worse.. i dont know what happend with gates. im just saying. in that circumstance IT WAS WISE to be cooperative and nice to the cops.. they had guns.. and were ready for anything.......

Solitary Brother
07-25-2009, 12:52 AM
People are not going to agree on this or on ANY racial matter in my opinion.
When you have NUMEROUS cases of police brutality CAUGHT on tape and people STILL disagree....well theres nothing else to discuss.
I think its CRAZY to arrest a man in his own home for being DISORDERLY??

WTF!!???!!!
Its his fucking house.
His house.
He could chop that muthufucka up into matchsticks if he wanted to its his.
How can you break into your own house?
I just dont understand but this is how it is in america.
Thank god he wasnt beaten or anything.

BrendaQG
07-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Such a big deal being made out of a non issue. As soon as some real news breaks this will go away.

Correction: After gates sues the police for false/unlawful arrest or some such then this will really go away.

deee757
07-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Such a big deal being made out of a non issue. As soon as some real news breaks this will go away.

Correction: After gates sues the police for false/unlawful arrest or some such then this will really go away.

Yea is a non issue cause presidents of Ivy League University departments get arrested everyday.

Tanuki
07-25-2009, 03:43 AM
i agree its a non issue.. so he went downtown for the afternoon.. big deal...

thx1138
07-25-2009, 05:17 AM
http://crooksandliars.com/dday/actual-facts-about-henry-louis-gates-case

El Nino
07-25-2009, 06:23 AM
What a great article dude, seriously. Like I said earlier in this thread, this is not about racism; it's about something that is potentially more dangerous.

HP1000
07-25-2009, 06:58 AM
That idiot owes the arresting officer an apology, the officer was only doing his job. Maybe one day when an intruder is breaking in his house and raping his wife he will change his mind about AUTHORITY!

notdrunk
07-25-2009, 07:05 AM
What a great article dude, seriously. Like I said earlier in this thread, this is not about racism; it's about something that is potentially more dangerous.

People not using their brains and they are not realizing that they are setting themselves up? In this case, Gates was not using his brain. He allowed his emotions to take over. Crowley did not lose all semblance of professionalism. He lost control of the situation (was there any control to begin with?) and he attempted to remedy the situation. The problem is that certain people do not agree with his remedy.

tsbrenda
07-25-2009, 07:27 AM
The Henry Louis Gates situation is mainly a distraction, where the media has decided to document a sideshow instead of the hundreds of millions of people struggling every day with substandard health care coverage.

But there's also a serious policy component. Policemen should not be allowed to arrest someone for being an asshole in their own home. If that was the case, right-wing bloggers would all be doing 10-20. It appears clear, and I guess there may be audio tape to this effect, that the cop came to Gates' house, figured out that he was not a burglar, words were exchanged, and then the cop arrested him for disorderly conduct. That's really over the line of what cops should be allowed to do, regardless of the motivations, racial or otherwise.

The crime of disorderly conduct, beloved by cops who get into arguments with citizens, requires that the public be involved. Here's the relevant law from the Massachusetts Appeals Court, with citations and quotations omitted:

The statute authorizing prosecutions for disorderly conduct, G.L. c. 272, § 53, has been saved from constitutional infirmity by incorporating the definition of "disorderly" contained in § 250.2(1)(a) and (c) of the Model Penal Code. The resulting definition of "disorderly" includes only those individuals who, "with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof ... (a) engage in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior; or ... (c) create a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.' "Public" is defined as affecting or likely to affect persons in a place to which the public or a substantial group has access.

The lesson most cops understand (apart from the importance of using the word "tumultuous," which features prominently in Crowley's report) is that a person cannot violate 272/53 by yelling in his own home.

Read Crowley's report and stop on page two when he admits seeing Gates's Harvard photo ID. I don't care what Gates had said to him up until then, Crowley was obligated to leave. He had identified Gates. Any further investigation of Gates' right to be present in the house could have been done elsewhere. His decision to call HUPD seems disproportionate, but we could give him points for thoroughness if he had made that call from his car while keeping an eye on the house. Had a citizen refused to leave Gates' home after being told to, the cops could have made an arrest for trespass.

But for the sake of education, let's watch while Crowley makes it worse. Read on. He's staying put in Gates' home, having been asked to leave, and Gates is demanding his identification. What does Crowley do? He suggests that if Gates wants his name and badge number, he'll have to come outside to get it. What? Crowley may be forgiven for the initial approach and questioning, but surely he should understand that a citizen will be miffed at being questioned about his right to be in his own home. Perhaps Crowley could commit the following sentences to memory: "I'm sorry for disturbing you," and "I'm glad you're all right."

Spoiling for a fight, Crowley refuses to repeat his name and badge number. Most of us would hand over a business card or write the information on a scrap of paper. No, Crowley is upset and he's mad at Gates. He's been accused of racism. Nobody likes that, but if a cop can't take an insult without retaliating, he's in the wrong job. When a person is given a gun and a badge, we better make sure he's got a firm grasp on his temper. If Crowley had called Gates a name, I'd be disappointed in him, but Crowley did something much worse. He set Gates up for a criminal charge to punish Gates for his own embarrassment.

By telling Gates to come outside, Crowley establishes that he has lost all semblance of professionalism. It has now become personal and he wants to create a violation of 272/53. He gets Gates out onto the porch because a crowd has gathered providing onlookers who could experience alarm. Note his careful recitation (tumultuous behavior outside the residence in view of the public). And please do not overlook Crowley's final act of provocation. He tells an angry citizen to calm down while producing handcuffs. The only plausible question for the chief to ask about that little detail is: "Are you stupid, or do you think I'm stupid?" Crowley produced those handcuffs to provoke Gates and then arrested him. The decision to arrest is telling. If Crowley believed the charge was valid, he could have issued a summons. An arrest under these circumstances shows his true intent: to humiliate Gates.

The cop baited the guy into leaving the house so he could arrest him for making a cop feel bad.

I appreciate the work of law enforcement. But regardless of race, too many cops have the belief that if they get insulted, they have the right to turn that into an arresting offense. That's not the law whatsoever, nor should it be. It creates a chilling effect among the public not to call out bad behavior in law enforcement or raise your voice in any way. I know we're all supposed to believe that cops are saintly, but I live in LA. Police misconduct happens all the time, and we should be vigilant when it does.

Instead, the media takes the soccer ball and chases it into the corner, without any semblance of factual records or perspective. It becomes an emotional argument instead of a factual record of misconduct. We pay cops with tax money. We should not risk arrest when arguing with them.

Tags: Henry Louis Gates, law enforcement, police misconduct, Prosecutions, race, traditional media

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Sz83qFFwJP4/RardYHFl0XI/AAAAAAAAAE4/YTHWXmIAcPs/s400/ScaliaAndCheneyShootingDucks.gif

AmericanDream
07-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Good. Now he knows what it's like to be white.

In my shoes, just to see what it's like to be me.

tsbrenda
07-25-2009, 07:40 AM
The Henry Louis Gates situation is mainly a distraction, where the media has decided to document a sideshow instead of the hundreds of millions of people struggling every day with substandard health care coverage.

But there's also a serious policy component. Policemen should not be allowed to arrest someone for being an asshole in their own home. If that was the case, right-wing bloggers would all be doing 10-20. It appears clear, and I guess there may be audio tape to this effect, that the cop came to Gates' house, figured out that he was not a burglar, words were exchanged, and then the cop arrested him for disorderly conduct. That's really over the line of what cops should be allowed to do, regardless of the motivations, racial or otherwise.

The crime of disorderly conduct, beloved by cops who get into arguments with citizens, requires that the public be involved. Here's the relevant law from the Massachusetts Appeals Court, with citations and quotations omitted:

The statute authorizing prosecutions for disorderly conduct, G.L. c. 272, § 53, has been saved from constitutional infirmity by incorporating the definition of "disorderly" contained in § 250.2(1)(a) and (c) of the Model Penal Code. The resulting definition of "disorderly" includes only those individuals who, "with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof ... (a) engage in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior; or ... (c) create a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.' "Public" is defined as affecting or likely to affect persons in a place to which the public or a substantial group has access.

The lesson most cops understand (apart from the importance of using the word "tumultuous," which features prominently in Crowley's report) is that a person cannot violate 272/53 by yelling in his own home.

Read Crowley's report and stop on page two when he admits seeing Gates's Harvard photo ID. I don't care what Gates had said to him up until then, Crowley was obligated to leave. He had identified Gates. Any further investigation of Gates' right to be present in the house could have been done elsewhere. His decision to call HUPD seems disproportionate, but we could give him points for thoroughness if he had made that call from his car while keeping an eye on the house. Had a citizen refused to leave Gates' home after being told to, the cops could have made an arrest for trespass.

But for the sake of education, let's watch while Crowley makes it worse. Read on. He's staying put in Gates' home, having been asked to leave, and Gates is demanding his identification. What does Crowley do? He suggests that if Gates wants his name and badge number, he'll have to come outside to get it. What? Crowley may be forgiven for the initial approach and questioning, but surely he should understand that a citizen will be miffed at being questioned about his right to be in his own home. Perhaps Crowley could commit the following sentences to memory: "I'm sorry for disturbing you," and "I'm glad you're all right."

Spoiling for a fight, Crowley refuses to repeat his name and badge number. Most of us would hand over a business card or write the information on a scrap of paper. No, Crowley is upset and he's mad at Gates. He's been accused of racism. Nobody likes that, but if a cop can't take an insult without retaliating, he's in the wrong job. When a person is given a gun and a badge, we better make sure he's got a firm grasp on his temper. If Crowley had called Gates a name, I'd be disappointed in him, but Crowley did something much worse. He set Gates up for a criminal charge to punish Gates for his own embarrassment.

By telling Gates to come outside, Crowley establishes that he has lost all semblance of professionalism. It has now become personal and he wants to create a violation of 272/53. He gets Gates out onto the porch because a crowd has gathered providing onlookers who could experience alarm. Note his careful recitation (tumultuous behavior outside the residence in view of the public). And please do not overlook Crowley's final act of provocation. He tells an angry citizen to calm down while producing handcuffs. The only plausible question for the chief to ask about that little detail is: "Are you stupid, or do you think I'm stupid?" Crowley produced those handcuffs to provoke Gates and then arrested him. The decision to arrest is telling. If Crowley believed the charge was valid, he could have issued a summons. An arrest under these circumstances shows his true intent: to humiliate Gates.

The cop baited the guy into leaving the house so he could arrest him for making a cop feel bad.

I appreciate the work of law enforcement. But regardless of race, too many cops have the belief that if they get insulted, they have the right to turn that into an arresting offense. That's not the law whatsoever, nor should it be. It creates a chilling effect among the public not to call out bad behavior in law enforcement or raise your voice in any way. I know we're all supposed to believe that cops are saintly, but I live in LA. Police misconduct happens all the time, and we should be vigilant when it does.

Instead, the media takes the soccer ball and chases it into the corner, without any semblance of factual records or perspective. It becomes an emotional argument instead of a factual record of misconduct. We pay cops with tax money. We should not risk arrest when arguing with them.

Tags: Henry Louis Gates, law enforcement, police misconduct, Prosecutions, race, traditional media

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Sz83qFFwJP4/RardYHFl0XI/AAAAAAAAAE4/YTHWXmIAcPs/s400/ScaliaAndCheneyShootingDucks.gif

SarahG
07-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Then you would be arrested just like this whining cunt Gates... You are obligated by law to surrender your ID when asked, refusal to do so will get you arrested.

No, that is incorrect.

Police may question a person detained in a Terry stop, but in general, the detainee is not required to answer.[9] However, many states have “stop-and-identify” laws... In Hiibel, the Court held, in a 5-4 decision, that a Nevada “stop-and-identify” law did not violate the United States Constitution. The Court’s opinion implied that a detainee was not required to produce written identification, but could satisfy the requirement merely by stating his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

Notes: It's different in a traffic stop, you do have to surrender written ID there. There are some few states that have laws requiring presentation of written ID (untested in court thus far), like Colorado. And my strong opinion is that even the "stop-and-identify" laws should be struck down as unconstitutional under the 5th Amendment, but that's the state of the law as of today.

But we're still back to:

Break in has been reported, cop shows up and sees someone inside the house that matches the (vague) description given.

Should the cop just believe the guy saying "oh I am __, and I live at _this_addresss_" and leave?

The cop wanting to see ID is a no brainer under these circumstances, and one that shouldn't have set the guy off.

scroller
07-25-2009, 08:56 AM
The cop wanting to see ID is a no brainer under these circumstances, and one that shouldn't have set the guy off.

(1) You don't have to show ID, that's the law.
(2) You don't have to let a cop into your home in the first place.
(3) This case pointedly demonstrates that showing ID will not help you.
(4) The police report admits that the cop was already doubly convinced that Gates was the homeowner before that point.

Mr. James Duane, a professor at Regent Law School and a former defense attorney, tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

BrendaQG
07-25-2009, 03:32 PM

Yea is a non issue cause presidents of Ivy League University departments get arrested everyday.

It's a simple mistake by the cops. There are mechanisms in place for investigating police misconduct. Dr. Gates is not a uneducated person and this arrest and release will be investigated without all this media scrutiny, or Barrack's comments. In fact all Barrack has done is make this take longer by inviting Dr. Gates and the cop to the whitehouse.

This is an issue is not for the executive branch, it is for the judiciary and that will happen at the state level not the federal level. He may have an opinion, but officially it's none of his business.

dabaldone
07-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Being an asshole is not illegal. The cop was wrong....period. Gates behavior may have been extreme, but there were no laws broken. Someone earlier said he was arrested for being "uppity". Hmmm...they say the same thing about our president. All those on this board who aren't black have NO concept of what black men have gone thru in this country. The abuse and outright murder of black men by law enforcement is well documented.

Kramer
07-25-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/news/ap/us_news/2009/Jul/24/black_officer_at_scholar_s_home_supports_arrest.ht ml

Black officer at the scene says Crowley did nothing wrong.

Hmmmm.................

See folks race dont always matter!

El Nino
07-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Being an asshole is not illegal. The cop was wrong....period. Gates behavior may have been extreme, but there were no laws broken. Someone earlier said he was arrested for being "uppity". Hmmm...they say the same thing about our president. All those on this board who aren't black have NO concept of what black men have gone thru in this country. The abuse and outright murder of black men by law enforcement is well documented.

News Flash: Police brutality is color blind...

SarahG
07-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Sounds to me like the opposite. If Gates had simply ignored his rights, shown ID, and not raised a stink over it- I doubt anything further would have happened.

It's when Gates refused to show ID that the whole scenario started to get ugly.

trish
07-25-2009, 07:50 PM

Hmmmm.................

But the police department announced they regretted the arrest, and the prosecutor dropped the charge. Hmmmm...seems both officers were wrong. How was it possible for Professor Gates' accusations to get under Crowley's skin to the point where Crowley broke with his training and trumped up a charge of disorderly conduct? Why was Crowley's ego so sensitive in this particular situation, with this particular 5'4" intellectual black man? Nobody but Crowley knows the answers to those questions, and he'll probably have to dig for them. But the fact remains, the arrest was wrong, the police department said so and the charge was dropped.

AmericanDream
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Actually, failure to comply with a police officer is a crime and can be a felony, you need to read up on your laws.
Nah people who aren't black have no idea right? I'm white and I bet I've seen more shit done firsthand then you. In your experiences, what have you seen that makes you think you experienced this victimized life?

You don't know what the fuck I been through, white people been through, spanish people been through, or your next door neighbor been through. So stop acting like you know, because it's obvious you don't know much.

SarahG
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM

Hmmmm.................

But the police department announced they regretted the arrest, and the prosecutor dropped the charge. Hmmmm...seems both officers were wrong. How was it possible for Professor Gates' accusations to get under Crowley's skin to the point where Crowley broke with his training and trumped up a charge of disorderly conduct? Why was Crowley's ego so sensitive in this particular situation, with this particular 5'4" intellectual black man? Nobody but Crowley knows the answers to those questions, and he'll probably have to dig for them. But the fact remains, the arrest was wrong, the police department said so and the charge was dropped.

But he didn't break his training.

What people aren't realizing is that cops are trained to egg people into coming out of their homes so they can be arrested on irrelevant charges, as a tactic to employ in various domestic disputes.

Suppose a couple are fighting (verbally) and the neighbors call it in, often if the guy seems irrational, even if there is no signs of a law actually being broken (no sign of violence), they'll talk him into going outside. Then he either calms down, or he goes to jail.

In this case, Gates making a scene in the house, and not calming down about it- fell directly into their contingency plans so to speak.

AmericanDream
07-25-2009, 07:58 PM

(1) You don't have to show ID, that's the law.
(2) You don't have to let a cop into your home in the first place.
(4) The police report admits that the cop was already doubly convinced that Gates was the homeowner before that point.

Mr. James Duane, a professor at Regent Law School and a former defense attorney, tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
That was to you too. Failure to comply with an officer is a crime and can be a felony, make sure you know what your talking about before talking on it.

SarahG
07-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Actually, failure to comply with a police officer is a crime and can be a felony, you need to read up on your laws.
Nah people who aren't black have no idea right? I'm white and I bet I've seen more shit done firsthand then you. In your experiences, what have you seen that makes you think you experienced this victimized life?

You don't know what the fuck I been through, white people been through, spanish people been through, or your next door neighbor been through. So stop acting like you know, because it's obvious you don't know much.

It's only a crime if the request is a lawful one.

A cop can request a citizen to do anything, anything at all- you only are legally bound to comply if the request is legal.

For instance if a cop walked up to your door w/out a warrant or court order and demanded to search your house, its not a crime to say no.

Alyssa87
07-25-2009, 08:01 PM

Hmmmm.................

What people aren't realizing is that cops are trained to egg people into coming out of their homes so they can be arrested on irrelevant charges, as a tactic to employ in various domestic disputes.

Suppose a couple are fighting (verbally) and the neighbors call it in, often if the guy seems irrational, even if there is no signs of a law actually being broken (no sign of violence), they'll talk him into going outside. Then he either calms down, or he goes to jail.

In this case, Gates making a scene in the house, and not calming down about it- fell directly into their contingency plans so to speak.

How clever!

i can imagine how frustrated the officer was though.

a little uppidy negro talking down to you... where does he get off? LOL
I'm sure this had more to do with the cops ego than anything else.

AmericanDream
07-25-2009, 08:02 PM
And in this case the request was a lawful one, but thanks for clearing that up to anyone who was unsure. In any case you should always comply, not to searches, but to little things it's in your best interest.

Alyssa- Where does he get off? Would he talk that way to some negro gang member? No, but he talks that way to a police officer? So where does he get off? The police are there to protect you, so stop thinking your the victim of everything. For such a smart man he sounds really dumb, it must've been his parents telling him about the "white devil" all the time.

El Nino
07-25-2009, 08:07 PM
double post

SarahG
07-25-2009, 08:07 PM

Hmmmm.................

How clever!

i can imagine how frustrated the officer was though.

a little uppidy negro talking down to you... where does he get off? LOL
I'm sure this had more to do with the cops ego than anything else.

Ego yes, the race part is what I'm not yet convinced of.

Refusing to comply with a (given the circumstances reasonable) request, then insulting him (accusing the cop of being a racist), and getting passionately confrontational about it- is sure to get any cop to want to react harshly (either in the form of tasings, beatings, tickets/citations, or arrests).

Try pulling that the next time you get pulled over and see what happens. The most tolerant cop in the world is only going to take so much of that before they go "you know, let me go get my traffic code book so I can see how many tickets I can write you for"

El Nino
07-25-2009, 08:08 PM

Hmmmm.................

Yeah Trish, but they only dropped the charges due to the prominant figure involved and subsequent media hysteria. When an ordinary man much less educated or well known as Gates, sticks up for themselvs and an "officer of the law" gets offended; the bogus disorderly charges etc. are sustained. The media is undeniably beating around the bush.

SarahG
07-25-2009, 08:11 PM
And in this case the request was a lawful one, but thanks for clearing that up to anyone who was unsure. In any case you should always comply, not to searches, but to little things it's in your best interest.

Alyssa- Where does he get off? Would he talk that way to some negro gang member? No, but he talks that way to a police officer? So where does he get off? The police are there to protect you, so stop thinking your the victim of everything. For such a smart man he sounds really dumb, it must've been his parents telling him about the "white devil" all the time.

I disagree, it was an unlawful request (Gates wasn't legally required to comply with it)... but it was a reasonable request.

If it were me, I would have shown ID or something to show I live there, not because of the law, but because it would be the reasonable, logical way to react to a break in report.

I know I would be pissed if my apartment was broken into, and the perp got away with it by simply saying "Oh, I am __ and I live here" only to have the cop take his word at it.

trish
07-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I think, if I understand you correctly, that you and I agree, El Nino. 1. The charges were trumped up. 2. Because of Professor Gates' prominence, the police department had to admit what they knew, that the professor was unjustly charged. 3. Had Gates not been so prominent, the charges would not have been dropped.

AmericanDream
07-25-2009, 08:16 PM
This is 2009, it has nothing to do with his color. White people and white teens are arrested everyday, they don't just look around for negros to arrest.

SarahG
07-25-2009, 08:19 PM
This is 2009, it has nothing to do with his color. White people and white teens are arrested everyday, they don't just look around for negros to arrest.

Regardless who they DO look for to arrest.

They WILL manhandle anyone who throws a shitfit over a request, insults them, or questions their authority.

Little old, white ladies have been tased under the above scenarios, "privileged" only gets you so far when cops have a virtually unchallenged ability to let their egos & power trips get in the way of ethics & laws.

sucka4chix
07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
The more I stay on the Internet, the more I realize the world is populate by dumbasses with stupid ideas and selfish agendas.
I didn't read all if the responses, but the most intelligent one was whoever said this was an ego issue. NOBODY knows exactly what happened except the people involved, so you people quoting police reports and such are supreme idiots. Unless you were there, you're formulating strong OPINIONS on hearsay!!
I have an opinion on how it went down, but it's irrelevant. If it happened as reported, EVERYTHING was as it should've been until he was arrested. The cop did what was expected and the profs response should've been expected too! Ideally if the prof was rude, the cop should have understood where that was coming from, and he should have realized the Stupidity (yes, I said it) in arresting someone in his own home when he had already established that THE CRIME HE WENT TO INVESTIGATE WAS NOT BEING PERPETRATED!! He was not there because someone was disorderly. That came after he ascertained there was no reason for him to be there! Stupid ego driven bullshit.
Now, the educated black man should have known exploding at the officer was not going to end well. Give the man what he wants. Shut up and both of you get on with your life. There are plenty of times when cops act shady. But if you just let that shit go, it usually amounts to nothing. It's your fucking ego that escalates little shit into big things. Learn to pick your battles. This should've been such a non-event. Although the cop could EASILY be racist, this event is more about the respect that a cops ego demands. Many guys become cops because they lacked respect, so they become cops to command it. Give them due respect, and get on with your fucking life. It's a game. Learn how to play it.
Oh and Allanah Starr is world famous. Doesn't mean the average person knows who she is! Just because you achieve fame in certain circles, doesn't mean everyone travels on those circles. Get a clue people!

trish
07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
This is 2009, not 3009 and racism still most definitely exists today. Latinos and blacks are arrested and brutalized by the police way disproportionately to whites. Look at the racial proportions of jailhouse populations. I do agree with Sarah, however: inappropriate use of force is a problem for everyone and no race or age group is immune to maltreatment.

trish
07-25-2009, 08:54 PM
It's a game. Learn how to play it.

Yes. It is a game. We can play it, or we can get rid of it. Liberty means not having to play a game to stay out of jail.

sucka4chix
07-25-2009, 10:26 PM
It's a game. Learn how to play it.

Yes. It is a game. We can play it, or we can get rid of it. Liberty means not having to play a game to stay out of jail.
Like I said, pick your battles! When someone steps on your shoes at the club you can start a fight that gets you arrested or let the shit go. If you think it's worth it, by all means cause conflicts instead of squashing them.

trish
07-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Getting your foot trampled at the club isn't a threat to everyone's liberty. Allowing police officers to behave capriciously threatens everyone's liberty. Your analogy doesn't hold.

dabaldone
07-25-2009, 10:59 PM

THE TRUTH HURTS. I'll add that latinos share the same BS from law enforcement. Re-read the facts. He did comply with the officer and showed ID...wich he did not have to do in his own home. There is no way a white man can relate..no matter how angry you get.

AmericanDream
07-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Angry? I'm not angry at all, it seems like you are. I just want you to realize this has nothing to do with his race.
The way you get rid of this, is aknowledge it as the police having and abusing too much power over the citizens of the United States of America. If you think of it as a race issue you aren't getting rid of anything, your only saying it isn't right because it happens to your race more than others. So stop playing victim, as if it happened to you, and stop thinking of it as a race issue.

So I guess blacks and hispanics aren't racist against white people? So now your complaint goes to that you want latino/hispanic or black officers, because then this wouldnt happen, right?

I rhink I've said enough...

SarahG
07-25-2009, 11:47 PM
...I just want you to realize this has nothing to do with his race.
The way you get rid of this, is aknowledge it as the police having and abusing too much power over the citizens of the United States of America. ...

If only more people could come to that conclusion!

Instead, we get people who joke about police abuses ("don't taze me, bro") or people who take the cop's side no matter how blatantly wrong they were (anyone recall how many people defended the cops involved with the B.A.R.T. EXECUTION?), and anyone who is smart enough to go "you know, this shit is wrong" is treated like a schizophrenic NWO conspiracy theorist.

sucka4chix
07-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Getting your foot trampled at the club isn't a threat to everyone's liberty. Allowing police officers to behave capriciously threatens everyone's liberty. Your analogy doesn't hold.
Of course it holds. Two people did something wrong but they were both insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It's all about perception. You perceive that the cop is treating you a certain way because of your skin color, so you get defensive. What if he's actually NOT? Getting arrested for disorderly conduct did not help anything anymore than fighting at the club would have. Just makes the enemy angrier. It's like a little gnat. Little insignificant events are just annoying!
This is not a stage to be rallying the civil rights troops on. It's trivial.
If the prof had been arrested for b & e, that would be a fight worth taking up. But a clash of TWO egos? Fighting that is poor judgment and is not a fight for anyones liberty, but your own personal pride.

El Nino
07-26-2009, 02:15 AM
I think, if I understand you correctly, that you and I agree, El Nino. 1. The charges were trumped up. 2. Because of Professor Gates' prominence, the police department had to admit what they knew, that the professor was unjustly charged. 3. Had Gates not been so prominent, the charges would not have been dropped.

Yes!

str84hotts
07-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Good thing Obama (whom I voted for) won the election. Otherwise that solitary complainer guy would immediately start a thread entitled "Obama loses election because he is black"

sucka4chix
07-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Isn't that a bit much, the guy doesn't deserve to lose his job he just arrested someone who was being loud and disruptive,you can't talk to cops any kind of way and expect nothing to happen just because this guy was a high class professor doesn't mean he deserved any kind of special treatment.Really if me or anyone on this forum would to get loud and disruptive with a cop we probably would get arrested,you have to be smart about these things.If you're stupid enough to get loud and belligerent with a cop you deserve to be arrestred no matter who you are.

Racism is still going strong. Like for example the other day your mom told me to pull out my big black cock. Why did she have to say "black"? Why couldnt she just say cock? I never felt so disgusted in my life. I still let her suck my cock but I sure wasnt happy.
ha ha. Too funny.
Racism is flourishing, but it isn't racism everytime something unfortunate happens to a black person. Credibility is lost everytime we cry racism at the drop of a hat. As our president said (paraphrasing): "Far too many times blacks and Latinos still get detained for no reason, and this casts a shadow on the times when there IS just cause". The fact is we all need to work on our people skills.

JelenaCD
07-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Police with too much power ? They were called to protect this man's home . This is not a random search . Yes the officer on the scene fucked up yet it's the professor that really showed himself as a total racist . I hope Harvard is proud of their esteemed professor .

HP1000
07-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Police with too much power ? They were called to protect this man's home . This is not a random search . Yes the officer on the scene fucked up yet it's the professor that really showed himself as a total racist . I hope Harvard is proud of their esteemed professor .

Kramer
07-26-2009, 05:48 AM

That about sums up the truth. Thank God someone else sees it!

Though I dont think the cops fucked up anything.

addicted
07-26-2009, 06:02 AM
dude was arrested because he was another brian gumbel sellout type brutha.

tsbrenda
07-26-2009, 06:37 AM
that professor is half white and married to a white women

so what you talking about him being a racist?

trish
07-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Kramer writes,
Though I dont think the cops fucked up anything.

Yet on page 6 of this thread ( http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=709939&highlight=#709939 ) in answer to the question, "Then you agree the arrest was unjustified?", Kramer admits,

Of course it was unjustified.

So it's not wrong to arrest someone without justification?

In any case the cops themselves, as embodied by the Boston Police Department, think it was a fuck up. That's why they announced their regret and that's why the prosecutor dropped the charges.

It's not about the police having too much power, its about the police using their power capriciously.

sucka4chix
07-26-2009, 07:26 AM
There was nothing capricious about the cops actions, since they were quite predictable after the professor's reaction to his treatment. Like I said before, he should've known something bad would come from yelling at an officer. Stevie Wonder could've seen that coming.

arnie666
07-26-2009, 07:40 AM
The Police should refuse to respond to Black peoples 911 calls unless there are Black officers available.Obviously they prefer to deal with their own kind. That way no white officer gets accused of 'racism' when a Black person with a mouth gets arrested. Obama also has this mentality being as how he called the Police 'stupid'Just shows himself up for the eltist idiot he is. Had to backtrack didn't he? But he has revealed his innate racism. Wright must have had more influence than he believed.

When I was 17 I was coming home from a part with a mate. A girl had just made a fool of me so I wasn't in the best of moods. I was also drunk. Police car slowed down and asked us some questions. Now for some reason in the last month I kept being spoken to by the Police a few times.Asked for name ,what I was doing , where I lived.Even searched once. Because of the mood I was in I started shouting at them. Well guess what they arrested me .Happens to white people to.Boo Hoo.

Jessica Davis
07-26-2009, 08:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYKYbB5Z5Aw&feature=related

Best response I have heard yet to this issue.......

Legend
07-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Someone mentioned racism is still going on strong ,yup i agree and it can come from both sides and is wrong from whoever is spewing it.

Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

http://www.ohio.com/news/50172282.html

The media didn't pick up on this story at all, i wonder why.

yosi
07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
big egos come in all shapes and colors , every race has them.

when 2 big egos colide , sometimes you hear about it in the news.
you need 2 to tango 8)

Racism is a big problem in the U.S. even today , this case is not included 8)

trish
07-26-2009, 12:17 PM
One should be able to prdict that the police will behave properly and appropriately. In this instance the police department and the prosecutor agree the arrest was inappropriate. When the police behave in ways not predictable by the application of law their behavior is capricous. When you can predict their actions will be ruled by their egos, emotions and perhaps their prejudices, then their actions are capricous.

2009AD
07-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Ware did ewe git you're edumacation?

deee757
07-26-2009, 12:46 PM

Ware did ewe git you're edumacation?

Lol, Now that is funny. I dont think I have ever laughed so hard because of a post. lol Ts Brenda always makes comments like that, lol

yosi
07-26-2009, 12:48 PM
One should be able to prdict that the police will behave properly and appropriately. In this instance the police department and the prosecutor agree the arrest was inappropriate. When the police behave in ways not predictable by the application of law their behavior is capricous. When you can predict their actions will be ruled by their egos, emotions and perhaps their prejudices, then their actions are capricous.

you are right trish , that was a capricous action on the police side, but it had nothing to do with racism.

there are many other black proffessors who will put their egos elsewhere in such cases, the result will never reach the news, no need for that.......

there is no need to shout "wolf" when there is no wolf.

thx1138
07-26-2009, 01:05 PM
TS Brenda is a diamond in the rough. :D

DaveinBoston
07-26-2009, 03:41 PM
For those who say that the police admitted that the arrest was "inappropriate", please show me that newscast or article and I will gladly eat my words. All of the coverage that I read said "unfortunate". Those are two completely different words.

For those of you who didnt get a chance to educate yourselves before bashing him, Officer Crowley has taught a racial profiling course in this state for the last 5+ years. He teaches racial sensitivity and teaches other officers how NOT TO PROFILE.

15 years ago he was a univeristy police officer and was one of the first on scene performing mouth to mouth and cpr, trying to save Reggie Lewis (of Boston Celtics) who suffered a cardiac arrest on their campus playing basketball. Reggie Lewis was black.

Officer Crowley was called to a house on a reported breaking and entering. It doesnt matter... black.. white.. green or purple, you are required by law to show proper identification when lawfully asked. Failure to do so, or giving an officer flase information is arrestable in itself. FYI... the house was broken into earlier which was why Gates was having trouble gaining entry.

When you start screaming and threatening, yes, you are violating a broad reaching law... DISTURBING THE PEACE. Sorry, go directly to jail, do not collect $200.

The charges were dropped to save Gates and everyone else a media show of crazy proportion. He's not a career criminal or a violent person (that I know of). Murders plead their cases down. Why not just throw this out. The worst he would get would be a stern talking to if found guilty. Why waste everyones time and a boatload of money???

His police chief and his union have stood behind him. His fellow officers have stood behind him. And before you conspiracy theorists jump on me, many of this officers were BLACK. I see a lot of people on here that just want to bash cops to bash cops. If anyone was profiling, it was Gates. Yes, cops all wear the same uniform, but they are not all made from the same cloth.

deee757
07-26-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/1677638,w-henry-louis-gates-arrest-072109.article

Well along with unfortunate, this article says regrettable. You don't regret something done in an appropriate manner. Let me know how those words taste. Down here in Richmond the brothers use hot sauce on everything, I suggest Texas Pete

sucka4chix
07-26-2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYKYbB5Z5Aw&feature=related

Best response I have heard yet to this issue.......
Pretty much on point, except the President never called the cop stupid, but said he acted stupidly, which he did (both parties did). As he (Obama) said when he allegedly "backtracked", he could've metered his words better, but I watched Obama's speech and even a racist redneck could tell he basically meant the officer could've handled it better, not that the officer was stupid. I guess there's really no stage to grandstand on if you direct your anger to the person responsible for this whole mess, so you chose the police department. Nice.

trish
07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
you are right trish , that was a capricous action on the police side, but it had nothing to do with racism.

Hi yosi. Thanks for responding. I believe I already said a few time in the prior pages that no one knows what was going on in Crowley’s head when he arrested Gates, and it may take Crowley himself sometime to sort it all out. In his career, I’m sure Crowley had to put up with lots of upset, outraged people and was able to handle them without overstepping the appropriate bounds of the law. We will never know what it was about Gates in particular that got under Crowley’s craw. It may be racism. It may be hyper-sensitivity to being called a racist. It may be ego. It may have been a bad night. It may be a whole complex of emotions. I’m not ruling out racism, but I’m not saying it’s definitely racism and nothing but. We do agree that whatever the reason, the arrest was regrettable.

Someone said a few pages back that we have to choose our battles and this is not one we should be fighting. I admit, that advice gave me pause. I agree that Gates should let it go now. Suing will reap no social benefits. Gates already fought his small battle, in his living room and on his porch. It was a minor scuffle and he won. This is probably what we should all do. Pick our battles, yes. But let’s not be cowards and watch our rights erode to nothing.

Someone also complained a few pages back that racism isn’t dead, and that whites are victims of it as well. That’s true. Black policemen have been known to brutalize Latinos, Latinos have been known to brutalize blacks. People of color do hold the high ground here.

I have to agree with deee, you don't regret behaving appropriately. Moreover, prosecutors don't drop charges simply because they're unfortunate.

sucka4chix
07-26-2009, 04:11 PM

there are many other black proffessors who will put their egos elsewhere in such cases, the result will never reach the news, no need for that.......

there is no need to shout "wolf" when there is no wolf.
If anything, he should've acted capriciously. What he did was arrest someone who was arrestable, when he should have acted on his IMPULSE to let the shit go. What he did was follow protocol, like so many non-empathetic Americans do in their jobs everyday, which is the exact opposite of capriciousness (and will aid in the demise of this once great country).

trish
07-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh, so it's police protocol to arrest someone when you're getting hot under the collar. Good to know. You're a laugh riot, sucka4chix.

deee757
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Ok nobody else use the word "capricious" or any of its variations.

sucka4chix
07-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh, so it's police protocol to arrest someone when you're getting hot under the collar. Good to know. You're a laugh riot, sucka4chix.
Yea, you learned something! Maybe it'll keep you from being arrested one day!

jimbobw2
07-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Of the things this incident has exposed, we now without doubt can see who the true racists are, not the least of which include the current occupier of the Office of the Presidency

trish
07-26-2009, 04:35 PM
If it truly is police protocol to arrest anyone for any old trumped up charge if they're getting you hot under your collar, then we've a systemic, but easily corrected problem. Remove it from the protocol, train policemen to control their emotions and their egos and train them to diffuse rather than exacerbate tense situations.

DaveinBoston
07-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry chief...."unfortnate" doesnt show fault....inappropriate" does and like I said...inappropriate was not used. Nice try though.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/1677638,w-henry-louis-gates-arrest-072109.article

Well along with unfortunate, this article says regrettable. You don't regret something done in an appropriate manner. Let me know how those words taste. Down here in Richmond the brothers use hot sauce on everything, I suggest Texas Pete

DaveinBoston
07-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Actually Trish, you are laugh riot.

Disorderly Conduct/Disturbing the Peace:

A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
(1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;

Police may use a disorderly conduct charge to keep the peace when people are behaving in a disruptive manner to themselves or others, but present no serious public danger. Disorderly conduct is typically classified as a misdemeanor

So yes, they do arrest you when you are "hot under the collar" if you break the law. It doesnt matter if they "had a bad night" as you so put it. If I am having a bad night and you spill a drink on me by accident and I punch you in the face, I am pretty sure that Ill be in court on assault charges...or do I get a get out of jail free card? I was having a bad night right?

Race aside, the cop was there lawfully... asked a lawful directive (properly Idetify yourself) and when the man flipped out.... see definition above, he was arrested.

deee757
07-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Sorry chief...."unfortnate" doesnt show fault....inappropriate" does and like I said...inappropriate was not used. Nice try though.

Main Entry:
1re·gret Listen to the pronunciation of 1regret
Pronunciation:
\ri-ˈgret\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
re·gret·ted; re·gret·ting
Etymology:
Middle English regretten, from Anglo-French regreter, from re- + -greter (perhaps of Germanic origin; akin to Old Norse grāta to weep) — more at greet
Date:
14th century

transitive verb1 a: to mourn the loss or death of b: to miss very much2: to be very sorry for <regrets his mistakes>intransitive verb: to experience regret
— re·gret·ter noun

DaveinBoston
07-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Being sorry/regretful about the situation doesnt admit guilt.

Example: We regret to inform you that Michael Jackson has died.

Is that my fault? Am I guilty of Michael Jacksons death? No... just sorry about the situation.

The article that was quoted in the Sun Times goes on to say:

"This incident should not be viewed as one that demeans the character and reputation of professor Gates or the character of the Cambridge Police Department.

In addition: Go back and read my initial response. I was arguing the word used by someone saying "inappropriate". That was NEVER used.

Main Entry:
1re·gret Listen to the pronunciation of 1regret
Pronunciation:
\ri-ˈgret\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
re·gret·ted; re·gret·ting
Etymology:
Middle English regretten, from Anglo-French regreter, from re- + -greter (perhaps of Germanic origin; akin to Old Norse grāta to weep) — more at greet
Date:
14th century

transitive verb1 a: to mourn the loss or death of b: to miss very much2: to be very sorry for <regrets his mistakes>intransitive verb: to experience regret
— re·gret·ter noun

sucka4chix
07-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Of the things this incident has exposed, we now without doubt can see who the true racists are, not the least of which include the current occupier of the Office of the Presidency

No what this incident has exposed is that the future of America is cloudy because it is populated by ignorant people who remain segregated in their little groups. Every group has an agenda and acts in a chauvinistic manner that precludes it from ever reaching a civil compromise on anything. It also shows that we lack the ability to distinguish important events from trivial ones. It's sad really. Some melting pot.

trish
07-26-2009, 05:15 PM
1) Gates was not engaged in fighting or tumultuous conduct. I know the Crowley sites tumultuous conduct as motivation for the arrest, but apparently Crowley is mistaking speech he doesn't want to hear as tumultuous conduct.

2) Gates was on his porch making reasonable protestations to the officer. Of course "reasonable" is in the ear of the hearer, and in this case Crowley simply didn't want to hear the accusations.

3) Gates did not disrupt an assembly of people. People assemble after the police arrived and Gates did not "disrupt" them.

Police may use a disorderly conduct charge to keep the peace when people are behaving in a disruptive manner to themselves…
Now I know you’re joking. You had me going for a while though. Good one.

trish
07-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Just so we aren’t always taking antipodal positions let me say, sucka4chix, I happen to agree the melting pot idea that seems sadly to be dead. It’s been replaced by multiculturalism. I’m not a fan of isolation and preservation of tradition simply for the sake of tradition. I think we should question our traditions, share them and change them through social interaction. People need to step out of their mindsets, ghettos, gated communities and home owner’s associations. They need to tune out the particular 24 hours news station that’s designed to appeal to just them. They need to listen (something Crowley didn’t do) and stop automatically accusing people and putting thoughts in their heads (something Gates didn’t do). Both men were acting stupidly. Obama’s line about the Crowley acting stupidly was a stupid remark.

DaveinBoston
07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Wow.. this just shows your lack of knowledge when it comes to law and your liberal bias. May be you should move to Cambridge.

1) Gates was not engaged in fighting or tumultuous conduct. I know the Crowley sites tumultuous conduct as motivation for the arrest, but apparently Crowley is mistaking speech he doesn't want to hear as tumultuous conduct.

2) Gates was on his porch making reasonable protestations to the officer. Of course "reasonable" is in the ear of the hearer, and in this case Crowley simply didn't want to hear the accusations.

3) Gates did not disrupt an assembly of people. People assemble after the police arrived and Gates did not "disrupt" them.

Police may use a disorderly conduct charge to keep the peace when people are behaving in a disruptive manner to themselves…
Now I know you’re joking. You had me going for a while though. Good one.

trish
07-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Dave, you're disrupting yourself again.

tsbrenda
07-26-2009, 07:37 PM
GATES MADE THIS STATEMENT IN AN INTERVIEW THAT HE IS HALF WHITE AND HAS A WHITE WIFE AND DOES NOT GO AROUND CALLING WHITE PEOPLE RACIST

natina
07-26-2009, 08:06 PM
How To Tell People They Sound Racist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ti-gkJiXc&NR=1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__038h9Rc9WA/SRrwNmiZXvI/AAAAAAAAA6c/cEGo1EgYLSU/s400/racism_cuts_both_ways11.jpg

littlenookie
07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
The initial call came from a neighbor saying there were TWO suspects trying to break into the home. When the cop showed up to the house he saw Gates and thought this is one of the suspects. When Gates produced his Harvard ID (by the way he did NOT produce his license at first, that would have proved immediately he was the homeowner. The Harvard ID didn't prove anything) So now the cop thinks "ok now there may be 2 suspects still in the home cause this guy is probably not one of them." But that part of the story of course got buried.

This is a simple case of misunderstanding and as far as I'm concerned Gates is the racist, not the officer. But it's also a case of a bad neighbor, because if the neighbor bothered to look they may have realized it was Gates and it was his house.

thx1138
07-26-2009, 09:49 PM
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/gatesgate-by-digby-i-have-been.html

tsmandy
07-26-2009, 09:56 PM
In my experience police get really angry when people start asking for their badge numbers and names. I've been at many political protests, public gatherings where police were acting like total thugs, and as soon as someone tried to get identification on an officer they would be beaten and cuffed. (Specifically I witnessed this in Cambridge several times in 2001-2003)

It seems to me like Gates real crime was trying to figure out who the officer was, because the officer was acting boorish.

Of course Gates was pissed, because he knew that if it was any of his colleagues, say Alan Dershowitz, the interaction would have played out very differently. The police would not have assumed that an elderly man with a cane was trying to break into a home. We are not talking about Roxbury after all, we are talking about a wealthy neighborhood in Cambridge. If two white kids had been on the porch, the cops never would have been called in the first place.

Anyone who thinks the law is color blind in this country is ignoring an overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary.

jacklook
07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Thank You Ms. mandy for being so clear. Thats all that needs to be said about this situation. You are a great person and performer!

natina
07-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Gatesgate

by digby

I have been reluctant to really delve into the Gates story because well ... it just seems so obvious. And it's clear that it's just taking the wingnut bait. But since I write often about police abuse of power, particularly with tasers, some readers seem to be interested in a larger discussion of this incident so here goes.

First, I think that there is obviously a racial component here, but I don't see it as classic "profiling" at least in the traditional sense that someone is targeted for a police stop solely because of their race. The circumstance as I understand them are that the police responded to a call of a possible burglary with two black suspects. The idea that they wouldn't have responded to that call if the description had been two white suspects is not believable. It's what happened after that fits the racial narrative.
One racial component is the reflexive angry defensiveness that white people often feel at being called racist when they don't believe (rightly or wrongly) that they are. This cop, a man who we are told teaches other cops how to avoid racial profiling, may have felt he was being unfairly targeted as a racist and he got angry. The "angry black man" syndrome, whereby blacks' sensibilities in such situations are discounted as being a "chip on the shoulder" or somehow a function of an inherently angry temperament adds to the mix. Black people are assumed to be "dangerous" in situations where whites get the benefit of the doubt. I really don't think that's debatable.

Having said that, to me, this situation actually has far broader implications about all citizens' relationship to the police and the way we are expected to respond to authority, regardless of race. I've watched too many taser videos over the past few years featuring people of all races and both genders being put to the ground screaming in pain, not because they were dangerous or threatening and not because they were so out of control there was no other way to deal with them, but because they were arguing with police and the officer perceived a lack of respect for the badge.

I have discovered that my hackles automatically going up at such authoritarian behavior is not necessarily the common reaction among my fellow Americans, not even my fellow liberals. The arguments are usually something along the lines of "that guy was an idiot to argue with the cops, he should know better," which is very similar to what many are saying about Gates. He has even been criticized for being a "bad role model," thus putting young black kids at risk if they do the same things.

Now, on a practical, day to day level, it's hard to argue that being argumentative with a cop is a dangerous thing. They have guns. They can arrest you and can cost you your freedom if they want to do it badly enough. They can often get away with doing violence on you and suffer no consequences. You are taking a risk if you provoke someone with that kind of power, no doubt about it.

Indeed, it is very little different than exercising your right of free speech to tell a gang of armed thugs to go fuck themselves. It's legal, but it's not very smart. But that's the problem isn't it? We shouldn't have to make the same calculations about how to behave with police as we would with armed criminals. The police are supposed to be the good guys who follow the rules and the law and don't expect innocent citizens to bow to their brute power the same way that a street gang would do. The police are not supposed wield what is essentially brute force on the entire population.

And yet, that's what we are told we are supposed to accept. Not only can they arrest us merely for being argumentative as they did with Gates, they are now allowed to shoot us full of electricity to make us comply with their demands to submit.

There is a philosophical underpinning to all this that I am only beginning to fully understand. It was discussed in this very interesting guest post over at Crooked Timber by a police officer and philosopher who went through the various elements of the case and offered his perspective. Much of what he wrote was very thought provoking and made me think a bit about my reflexive recoil against police behaviors in so many of these situations. But some of what he wrote reinforced my belief that something has gone wrong:

The judgments of policing are obviously difficult and subjective, and are often marred when they are made in the face of people issuing inflammatory comments even as the police are rendering routine services with an obvious cause. It is in the collective interest of citizens and police to promote an environment where the police can conduct an investigation calmly and with mutual respect. It cannot become commonplace for people to be allowed to scream at the police in public, threatening them with political phone calls, deriding their abilities, etc. Routine acts like rendering aid to lost children, taking accident reports and issuing traffic violations could be derailed at any time by any person who has a perceived grievance with the police. The police service environment is not the best venue for the airing of such grievances.

This is a form of blackmail similar to the CIA threatening to let terrorists kill us if they are held accountable for lawbreaking. It says that the police will not be willing to rescue lost children if they have to put up with yelling citizens. That is an abdication of their duties and the idea that they should then be given carte blanche to shut up all citizens by means of arrest, because it creates a social environment where someone might cause a distraction in the future, is Orwellian double talk.

And it makes a mockery of the first amendment. If police are to be shielded from public criticism when they are acting in their official capacity then we have an authoritarian state. If yelling at the authorities is a crime then we do not have free speech.

He goes on:

The police should not be cowed by threats of phone calls to people such as mayors, police chiefs and presidents of the United States, along with allegations that “you don’t know who you’re messing with.” It is traditionally whites who have had this type of crooked access and influence. These appeals to higher authorities are often meant to exempt the ruling castes from following the rules and laws that the rest of the community will be expected to follow. It happens, it is unfortunate, and it is not in the interests of justice for it to continue. Nobody trying to do their job fairly deserves to hear the equivalent of “My daddy donated fifty million to this university, and you’ll be getting calls from everywhere in the administration about raising my grade enough for this class to count as a distributive requirement.”

It is very rude of citizens to do that, to be sure. But it is not a crime. The idea that people should not get angry, should not pull rank, should be rude to others is an issue for sociologists and Miss Manners, not the cops. Humans often behave badly, but that doesn't make it illegal. For people with such tremendous power as police officers to be coddled into thinking that these are behaviors that allow them to arrest people (or worse) seems to be to far more dangerous than allowing a foolish person or two to set a bad example in the public square.

He continues:

It is possible for a person to commit disorderly conduct by unabated screaming and verbal abuse in a public setting. Without drawing conclusions about the Gates case, there comes some point where a person is genuinely causing public alarm, and where he is acting with a rage that exceeds what we can expect from a reasonable person in a heated moment. The mere presence of the police conducting a legitimate investigation should not provoke continuous rage and epithets from such a person. One response is that the police should just leave if the investigation has been conducted successfully, and that this will calm the person down. In practice, this is indeed often the best thing to do. On the other hand, it should be noted that it is just as much the responsibility of the citizen to see that his actions are an inappropriate way to relate to police officers who have not, in the specific case at hand, acted unreasonably. This point may be hotly contested, but I believe it is true: there is no obligation for the police to hurry in their activities or to leave as soon as possible because they have incited the rage of a person who is acting unreasonably. There is a distinction between hanging around to show them who’s boss and working at a steady, professional pace, to be sure. But in the end the mere presence of the police cannot be seen as an acceptable reason for disorderly conduct, and should therefore not spur the police to leave a scene simply to de-escalate it. A police strategy of “winning by appearing to lose” emboldens citizens to attempt to get the police to lose in more and more serious matters, including walking away from situations where a person is genuinely guilty of a crime.

At this point we are seeing a tipping in the other direction. Police are emboldened when they repeatedly get away with using bullying, abusive tactics against average citizens who have not been convicted of any crimes. This is the kind of thing that results:

Police say they struggled to get inside the home to speak with the man. When police managed to get inside the home, the suspect was placed in handcuffs. The complainant alleged that he was Tased three times by police - once to his wrist, the second to the small of his back and the third to his buttocks.

The ombudsman's report states that the suspect was tased only two times after an investigation. One of those tases, however, was in the buttocks.

The use of force "was after he was handcuffed," said Ombudsman Pierce Murphy. "And it was in the most senstive, private areas, and accompanied by threats."

The suspect can be heard pleading to the police several times that he couldn't breathe when officers were on top of him.

"I can't breathe - just let me up, I want to breathe," he says.

The officer quickly replied, "If you're talking - you're breathing."

The report also states that the officers used excessive language.

"If you move again, I'm going to stick this Taser up your (expletive) and pull the trigger," the complaint said. "Now, do you feel this in your (expletive)? - I'm going to tase your (expletive) if you move again."

It was determined that the cop had the taser literally pushed up against the man's anus.

In an earlier portion of his essay on Crooked Timber, the officer talked about how we need to allow police to have discretion and explained that it works as often as not in the favor of the suspect as a matter of common sense. (Police often let people go with a warning, for instance, rather than adhere strictly to the letter of the law.) And that's reasonable.

But when it comes to race we've got a terrible history of discretion not being extended in favor of blacks --- and the increased use of tasers is turning this concept of discretion into a license to torture. A policeman using his discretion to arrest a man in his own home because he was not deferential enough is just one more incident along a long road of creeping authoritarianism.

I said the other night that I thought Gates was lucky he didn't get tased and I really think he was. People all over this country are "subdued" by means of electricity every day, probably more blacks than whites, but it doesn't seem to be particularly limited to race. We are accepting this kind of thing as if it's just an inevitability because of the attitudes this police officer very thoughtfully lays out in his essay: we are told that we must defer to authority or risk all hell breaking loose.

And I would suggest that it is just that attitude that led to people in this country recently endorsing unilateral illegal invasions, torture of prisoners and the rest. You remember the line --- "the constitution isn't a suicide pact." To which many of us replied with the old Benjamin Franklin quote: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

The principles here are the same. Sure, we should treat the cops with respect and society shouldn't encourage people to be reflexively hostile to police. They have a tough job, and we should all be properly respectful of people who are doing a dangerous and necessary job for the community. But when a citizen doesn't behave well, if not illegally, as will happen in a free society, it is incumbent upon the police, the ones with the tasers and the handcuffs and the guns, to exercise discretion wisely and professionally. And when they don't, we shouldn't make excuses for them. It's far more corrosive to society to allow authority figures to abuse their power than the other way around.

Henry Louis Gates may have acted like a jackass in his house that day. But Sergeant Crowley arresting him for being "tumultuous" was an abuse of his discretion, a fact which is backed up by the fact that the District Attorney used his discretion to decline to prosecute. Racially motivated or not he behaved "stupidly" and the president was right to say so.

* And by the way, if anyone wants to see some real incoherence on this subject, consult the right wingers who are defending the policeman today, but who also believe that anyone has the right to shoot first and ask questions later if they "feel" threatened in their own home. By their lights, Gates should have been arrested for behaving "tumultuously" but would have been within his rights to shoot Sgt Crowley. This is why conservatives have no standing to discuss anything more complicated than Sarah Palin's wardrobe.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/gatesgate-by-digby-i-have-been.html

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/187/1525/400/network-howard-beal.jpg

beatmaker
07-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Let me voice my opinion quickly. I like to let these types of threads marinate for second and read the prior posts thoroughly.

First, I don't think the officer is a bigot or that he was racially profiling Skip Gates. However, I think police officers seem to allow their ego to get in the way, when it comes to someone questioning their authority. I also think working class police officers, have a problem with assertive, articulate Black men questioning them and will give an upper middle class White male more rope, before slapping the cuffs on them. I will admit that even some of the class warfare animous from the Cambridge Police Dept has spread to White faculty, but like they say, when Whites catch a cold, Blacks catch the flu. I think the officer's response, is rooted in a deeply pathological reaction based on the subliminal societal conditioning of White superiority and Black inferiority. This is not about overt, outright bigotry and hatred of Black men. It's about the innate uncomfortability of having a Black man demean you in public (even though that is not illegal) and how it affects your core belief system. Oprah Winfrey had a show on racial perceptions and how seemingly liberal, well meaning people had deeply harbored beliefs about other races, that they were not aware of. It was some kind of computer test where brain waves and subconscious responses were monitored. I remember I had a Blond White woman with dreadlocks call store security on me, accusing me of "following her". I was looking at some bathrobes and I see this woman yell "That's him" pointing dead at me. I guess since I was buying a gift for my girl, my Black azz looked out of place in the Women's department. I guess her seeing me twice, meant I was some menacing Black male who was going to possibly rape her. This from White woman with dreadlocks and some bogus Jamaican patch on her jacket. I've had Whites (only them) walk up to me in stores and assume I work there. I had on a winter coat on two of those occasions and my headphones and iPhone in another situation, so this is some deeply pathological stuff and overt racism is a Trojan horse, that muddies the real issue.

Listen, I've dealt with police harrassment on several occassions. I remember seeing a NYPD officer slap a young Black teenager's baseball hat of his head and laugh, after someone in his crew got into an silly
argument with the security guard in McDonald's at Times Sq. I saw the whole thing and the young brotha actually tried to squash the whole beef and pull his friend away. He didn't yell at the officer when questioned, this was just a method of demoralizing and emasculating a young Black man. I got into an argument with a NYPD officer, when I was 19 y.o., because he kinda shoved my friend and told us we can't loiter on the corner. This was in The Village, over by the West 4th St. basketball court. Why did I get upset? Because they were two White couples together, standing literally 2 feet from us and they were actually standing there, when we walked up. Yet, this bastard saw fit to chastise us and say nothing to the White couples loitering on the corner longer than we were and I pointed it out. I guess if I got arrested, the officer would have been justified according to some of you guy's uninformed rhetoric. I had an State Trooper in Delaware pull me and my friend's car over, when we were driving back to college from winter break on I-95. This redneck pulls us over, makes us put our hands on the hood, but doesn't search the car, just has us standing there trying to humiliate us for 15 minutes. Then when I ask the cop when are they going to search the car, so we can go, because we need to get back and register for our Spring semester classes. He yells for me to be quiet, then his partner proceeds to ask me "Why am I going to college anyway". So, for all you law enforcement Kool-Aid drinkers, spare me your bullshyt, because your life experiences really give you no insight into this topic or what Dr. Gates was feeling viscerally. I have more stories, but not the time to list them all. I had a cop put a gun in my face and threaten to shoot me, Why? Because we were visiting a girl in a poor neighborhood in the Southern city where I attended college and since we had N.Y license plates, we were automatically drug trafficking. So, all these police cars roll up on us, guns drawn asking us to put our hands out (not against) the window, mind you I'm in the backseat of a two door car. Once again, these lazy bastards don't even search the car, just toss our pockets. One of them ask me, where I did get all this money from, when it was less than $200. Like I'm supposed to be destitute and shyt. Then they take the I.D's out of our wallets without permission and write down all the info, then tell us "we are not allowed in this area again and if they see us again, they're arresting us". Mind you we doing nothing wrong or had any illegal substances in our possession. We actually came from doing laundry at my friend's complex, because the washing machines and dryers were free for residents. I have another four stories similar to this, but I have to keep this reasonable in length. Too many police officers harbor blatant disregard for your human rights or manhood, yet they always wanna hit you with the "I not a bad guy, I'm just trying to get home to my wife and kids" line. Listen, cops want criminals to snitch on their associates, yet they are unwilling to do the same. If you really want to mend relationships with the poor and minority communites, the good cops should have zero tolerance for bad apples in their departments and dime them out to I.A.D with the quickness. Yet, Ray Kelly & Mayor Bloomberg wanna ostracize Busta Rhymes (or any dude entangled in some street B.S) for not snitching and there own "Blue Wall of Silence" is perpetuating the same bullshyt.

P.S: People kill me with this "The Police Report" said shyt. Like if the cop did something improper, they are going to admit to it, in their report of the incident. How fuckin naive do you have to be! I'm not saying he's lying in his police report, but I don't take his report as gospel either. I'm sure in those incidents I've experienced, the officers involved, had the situation escalated and they decided to arrest me for mouthing off, they would have put a whole lot of "resisting arrest" and "he lunged at me" bullshyt in the report.

P.S: Did anyone read the two separate articles in the Village Voice a few years back, about the young Black man who was a student at Harvard getting harrassed and arrested by the NYPD, on two separate occasions. One NYPD officer actually asked him, when he saw his Harvard student I.D. "So you're on the basketball team at Harvard or something?". So with clowns running around the NYPD with that mentality, with a gun and badge and license to kill, no wonder Black and Latino men are gunned down on the regular.

Jericho
07-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Edit - i was wrong that time.

beatmaker
07-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Oh Yeah, for all you jokers running around this thread talking about how this guy was some officer in charge of diversity and racial profiling training, please take note.

In one of the most agregious cases on policy brutality in the history of the NYPD, Haitian immigrant Abner Louima was sodomized with a toilet plunger in his holding cell inside of an actual NYPD precinct. His screams of agony where ignored by the officers in the vicinity. The officer who acosted him, Justin Volpe was indicted by a grand jury and later convicted. It's one of the rare cases of NYPD abuse, in which justice was served. Only because there is no logical justification for sticking a plunger up a man's rectum, especially while he's already in custody. Even Rudy Guiliani couldn't explain that bullshyt away. Anyway, Justin Volpe, a White male of Italian origin, was engaged at the time of incident, to his longtime girlfriend who was a civilian employee of the NYPD. Guess what race she was? Black and dark-skinned at that. So this notion that he was somehow impervious to a burst of racism, due to his departmental title is naive. However, I don't think this was a case of overt police racism, just an officer with a bruised ego on some payback bullshyt.

El Nino
07-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Police usually don't get in trouble for anything bro... When law enforcement investigates law enforcement, what do u think the outcome will be? Right?

Beagle
07-27-2009, 08:16 AM
yeah, so wtf does this incident have to do with the cop in boston? we all know there are asshole cops out there. but until there's evidence that this cop acted inappropriately or was racially motivated then the only trash-talkin "joker" was Gates.

Oh Yeah, for all you jokers running around this thread talking about how this guy was some officer in charge of diversity and racial profiling training, please take note.

In one of the most agregious cases on policy brutality in the history of the NYPD, Haitian immigrant Abner Louima was sodomized with a toilet plunger in his holding cell inside of an actual NYPD precinct. His screams of agony where ignored by the officers in the vicinity. The officer who acosted him, Justin Volpe was indicted by a grand jury and later convicted. It's one of the rare cases of NYPD abuse, in which justice was served. Only because there is no logical justification for sticking a plunger up a man's rectum, especially while he's already in custody. Even Rudy Guiliani couldn't explain that bullshyt away. Anyway, Justin Volpe, a White male of Italian origin, was engaged at the time of incident, to his longtime girlfriend who was a civilian employee of the NYPD. Guess what race she was? Black and dark-skinned at that. So this notion that he was somehow impervious to a burst of racism, due to his departmental title is naive. However, I don't think this was a case of overt police racism, just an officer with a bruised ego on some payback bullshyt.

yosi
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
I think police officers seem to allow their ego to get in the way, when it comes to someone questioning their authority.

and when big ego police officer meets another big ego professor , who lets his ego get in the way when his professor status is in question , this is what we get .

Legend
07-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Someone mentioned racism is still going on strong ,yup i agree and it can come from both sides and is wrong from whoever is spewing it.

Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

http://www.ohio.com/news/50172282.html

The media didn't pick up on this story at all, i wonder why.

Indeed, there really is a double standards to this kind of stuff.One guy gets arrested for basically pissing off a cop and yells racism and its all over the news media but when a family is terrorized by real racist its ignored by the media and people in general do not really care.Racism can come from anyone and is equally just as bad.

deee757
07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
its just not fun to talk about unless its white male being racist towards anyone that's black. Any other forms of racism is not worth the discussion. I know I know, just kidding

thx1138
07-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Gates and Crowley are related: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=8195564&page=1

jcinva
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Gates and Crowley are related: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=8195564&page=1

Guy may be a Harvard professor, but he doesn't seem all that bright to me.

When the genealogist tells him he does indeed have Irish links, Gates says, "I find this oddly moving. It is astonishing," he says, "that I have a kinship with someone (Niall of the Nine Hostages) dating back to the fourth century A.D."

It seems pretty obvious to me that we all have a kinship with someone dating back to the fourth century. Otherwise, yanno, we pretty much wouldn't be here, would we? Not so "astonishing."

thx1138
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090729/ap_on_re_us/us_harvard_scholar_caller

SarahG
07-29-2009, 07:44 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090729/ap_on_re_us/us_harvard_scholar_caller

I was just about to post that.

I guess I need to recant portions of my earlier posts about the cop going there looking for two black male suspects, judging by that article the cops responding were not being told (at least by the 911 caller) to look for a black male(s).

brickcitybrother
07-30-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm afraid that the truth is that he was arrested for being an asshole (which happens more than anyone wants to admit).

thx1138
07-31-2009, 07:44 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/29/disorderly-conduct-conver_n_246794.html

tsbrenda
07-31-2009, 08:04 AM
I often play the song FUCK THE POLICE & 187 ON A UNDERCOVER COP

187 ON A UNDERCOVER COP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1deWMfRy7U

[size=18]rage against the machine- fuck the police

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWxAnjNVBt8

http://flywithbats.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/fuck-police.jpg

http://jpro86.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/fuck-the-police.jpg

tsbrenda
07-31-2009, 08:09 AM
OK OK HERE ARE THE FACTS GATES PROVIDED THE ID WITHOUT ANY

the story was just clarified on the news about what happen

I'm afraid that the truth is that he was arrested for being an asshole (which happens more than anyone wants to admit).

Nicole Dupre
07-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Brenda, you're a thug crossdresser? Wow. That's hot. lol

lupinIII
07-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Heh...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/understocked.png

MrF
07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
It's true that African Americans have a disproportionately high amount of bad experiences with the criminal justice system. The statistics are staggering. Prejudice and unfair profiling play a role, but so do poverty and the related social problems.

But the story of this Professor has nothing to do with prejudice, as far as I can tell. As brickcitybrother said, the Prof was being an asshole and pissed off the police officers. Wasn't one of the officers black, anyway ?

tsbrenda
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
NO NO NO THE PROFESSOR DID NOT want his house searched

or cleared but the police insisted

thx1138
08-01-2009, 03:43 AM
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/study-misconduct-rampant-ices-immigr