PDA

View Full Version : RIP El Gato Negro

ed_jaxon
07-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Man I am bummed about El Gato closing up here in Chicago.

It was a hole in the wall but I like dive bars. Drinks were too expensive but at least they were cold.

I liked just hanging out there and sitting on the bar. The girls were for the most part cool and friendly and I liked the fact that it did not pretend to be something other than a neighborhood bar.

Being run out of business is a fuckin crime.

I always felt comfortable there and there are very few places on the northside of Chicago that I can say that about.

peoriashyguy
07-02-2009, 02:37 AM
Bummer. I will be coming to Chicago July 10th I was really hoping to hang out at El Gato for a few hours Friday evening. Are there any other places in Chicago with a similar atmosphere and a tranny crowd?

borhino
07-02-2009, 02:57 AM
I just drove by there last night and noticed it looked like it was gone... Any "specific" reason why other than the neighborhood wasn't happy it was there?

mimiplastique
07-02-2009, 03:19 AM
LOL YAY!!! THE SHIT HOLE IS CLOSED

TS HEIDI 773 824 9654 ~ YOU CAUGHT ?

ed_jaxon
07-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Personally I liked the joint Meems.

Your ol' uncle fit in well there.

You were always too classy for a place like El Gato, same cannot be said for me.

Here is the announcement.

I would think there would be more of a beef considering the circumstances but oh well.

http://www.elgatonegrobar.com/FAREWELLLETTER07events.html

Ts CinthyaNY
07-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Wow, I went there a few times when I tried to move to Chicago, kinda creepy looking place but you right, if you want to meet nice girls it was the place to be... The owner a very shady lady, tough bitch ... lol.

Well, girls gotta find a place to be ... The shows there were so funny and the Miss Gato Negro something to laugh about it for weeks.

Love...

Cinthya...

borhino
07-03-2009, 01:02 AM
The place was what it was...

More than once I took off because it got a little too pushy there. And it was always a good idea to count your change when you ordered a drink (never pay for anything under $10 with a twenty was what I learned to do)

Sure sometimes the place reeked of desperation worse than the bathroom smelled of urine. But you know what? Desperate people need a place to relax, too...

All that being said... There were other times when the band (which was real good) was playing and people were seemed to be having a really having a great time. Like it or not, it was a unique hang-out in a city of 2.5 million people...

If anyone hears about where the "regulars" scattered - please post the info.

eddymunster90
07-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Back in the day I remember hanging out at Lola's up the street. If lola's got boring I'd walk or drive over to El Gato to see what was crackin'.

Mr. Sinister
07-05-2009, 03:28 AM
There just aren't many places in Chicago to find T-Girl hangouts like there are in NYC, LA, and SF. I wish the tranny nightlife was better in Chicago.

TsVanessa69
07-05-2009, 05:25 AM
LOL YAY!!! THE SHIT HOLE IS CLOSED

TS HEIDI 773 824 9654 ~ YOU CAUGHT ?
Now that El Gato is ggone, how ill you finiance your SRS?

slapshot
01-16-2017, 05:59 AM
Yeah, I liked this place but you could tell it wasn't going to be around much longer, seemed dead almost every night the last year or so and the area around there was changing, getting more expensive. Great place to meet TS's and I liked the live band, the bartender Ozzie was a interesting guy I wonder what ever happened to him? I'm surprised another joint like this hasn't opened up since...there was another place on the south side that shut down a few years ago but I never made it there.

bossman
01-17-2017, 08:09 AM
Isn't La Cueva still around?