View Full Version : Question.......What does the term getting "CLOCKED"

ARMANIXXX
10-11-2005, 03:15 AM
Ran across it in an older post.

NickTheQuick
10-11-2005, 03:31 AM

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
10-11-2005, 03:32 AM
clocked ebonics definition: getting punched somewhere in the face to the point where others around you will laugh hysterically

example below

NickTheQuick
10-11-2005, 03:34 AM

GroobySteven
10-11-2005, 04:37 AM
I don't think it's ebonics although they've taken it.

"I'm going to clock you one." Has been around in UK since Shakespeare and appears in literature;

Henry V:
"For thoust shalt not sneed me, Frenchman of thy country ofst the weeping virgins, or I shalt clock thee soundly."

Oliver Twist:
"Please sir, no more. My backside smarts with your erstwhilst whippings and my nose is crooked from where Bill clocked me earlier."

Of course, clocked whether it means spotted or hit, both refers to the fact that a clock has a face (therefore being clocked either means being hit in the face or recognised by the face).

However, in "Wuthering Heights" when Catherine says to Heathcliff:
"Minest love, mean me when the clock strikes but thricely."
She was referring to the timepiece.

seanchai

TgirlloverinPA
10-11-2005, 05:13 AM
Interesting, the english language being recycled into, dum, dum, dum... the english language????

Ecstatic
10-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Back in the early 90s I worked for a company which employed dozens of Hispanics in the factory. One day there was a company picnic, and I was asked to print and post annoucements. I used an English-Spanish translation software product (this was long before Bablefish at Google) and included a line saying "don't punch out on the clock" (i.e., you will be paid for this party time). Well, the translation software did a literal translation, which I fortunately had proofed by one bilingual person in the factory. She doubled over laughing. "What's so funny?" I asked her.

"You just asked them not to beat off by the clock!"

Oops.

GroobySteven
10-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Well "spooked" is also old English - it's use can be demonstated in the same context from Chaucer's Canterbury tales ("for hence, tis, wit her name is unknownst but thoust spooked her presence") to more contempary texts like;

Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stephenson - "...but yes sir, I concur that it was a native face dressed like a sailor but when we spooked him, he became quite the savage..."

The Case of the Missing Green Jade Lantern Box" - Arthur Conan Doyle - "Watson, we have spooked Professor Moriarty from his most excellent disguise as a Jamaican charlady".

The use of it in "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe was it's more proper usage:
"I'm spooked by that big, black bird flying overhead in this morbid graveyarh asunder".

seanchai

MacShreach
10-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Well "spooked" is also old English - it's use can be demonstated in the same context from Chaucer's Canterbury tales ("for hence, tis, wit her name is unknownst but thoust spooked her presence") to more contempary texts like;

The use of it in "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe was it's more proper usage:
"I'm spooked by that big, black bird flying overhead in this morbid graveyarh asunder".

Erudite person. Yes, to "spook" means to reveal. From that, in the inverse, "spook" the noun, can mean something that is not revealed, ie a ghost. From that we get the idea that something might cause a fright when it _is_ revealed, hence another verb, to "spook", frighten. That's paraphrased from my ancient Chamber's Etymological. I think it gives us the modern word "spook" meaning a spy, ie someone not revealed, as well. R

ANIYAH
10-11-2005, 02:07 PM
In tgirlBonics (amongst my friends because differnt words chnge with different groups of friends)

Spooked : Is for ur gendered to be noticed in and overt manner for example ...
Tgirl on train female says to tgirl omg u are so pretty u better do it (Really meaning u look good .but i know...lol)
Clocked :Meaning to be noticed and harm is inflicted..For example..Tgirl walking down the blocked pass a group of men ...she gets pass them and all of a sudden shes .THATS A FUCKIN MANNNNNN and bottles come crashing at her ..Lol she runs in fear ...Lol

I hope this helps

brickcitybrother
10-12-2005, 05:19 AM
seanchai - thanks for the cites. Aniyah - I think your definitions are the winners

tsbrenda
10-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Ran across it in an older post.

clocked like "do you know what time it is"

Hara_Juku Tgirl
10-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Clocking happens and is a term used when people could tell one (TS) isnt really a gurl..or so it seems. LOL. Can be "Clocked" by her voice or how she physically present herself out in public. :wink:

Clocking is high and also rampant in big cities such as NYC, Chicago, Florida (Miami area), Cali (L.A and SF)..Cities with higher percentage of transexuals roaming around day or night.

Hope that helps.

~Kisses.

HTG

ARMANIXXX
10-18-2005, 02:30 AM
so clocked is to be "spotted" and possibly outed as a TS.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
10-18-2005, 03:29 AM
so clocked is to be "spotted" and possibly outed as a TS.

Exactamundo baby! Thats what it is. LOL.