PDA

View Full Version : Why I'll never be successful in business

tstv_lover
06-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I just switched on the TV, where I expected to hear more plaudits about Michael Jackson, who died less than 24 hours ago. What I head was a newschannel discussing with their financial reporter how to use this "opportunity" (ie death) to maximise immediate sales from the Michael Jackson brand. They went on to discuss money-making ventures through sale of brand name, movie rights, etc.

I was shocked that such discussions were taking place within 24 hours of his death, then I realised these discussions must be taking place elsewhere to achieve maximum capital from this "opportunity".

It made me feel sick. Clearly I'll never be a cut-throat businessman, but I'll be able to sleep nights.

What's your take? Is my reaction unjustified?

Jericho
06-27-2009, 12:36 AM
It made me feel sick. Clearly I'll never be a cut-throat businessman, but I'll be able to sleep nights.

Did you lose sleep the last time a Van Gogh was sold?
Same old.
Any artist's worth more dead. :shrug

tstv_lover
06-27-2009, 01:16 AM

Did you lose sleep the last time a Van Gogh was sold?
Same old.
Any artist's worth more dead. :shrug

Very true, but the haste with which discussion turned from tragedy to financial gain I found disgusting. He wasn't dead 24 hours before the vultures were pecking at the body. There are minds that see opportunity in disaster, which I understand, but a repectful period of grieving is surely warranted.

Jericho
06-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Define "repectful period of grieving".

(OT, but, for instance...
For most soldiers...those who fell for their country, it's one minute of silence.)

I'm guessing, but, take a look at ebay right now. I'll bet it's flooded with MJ memrobilia.
You talk of Vultures, but, who's the vulture, those selling, or, those buying?

rockabilly
06-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Whenever an artist dies demand for their work surges. Just like when Kurt Cobain died, guaranteed a new greatest hits album drops in a month and new unreleased material begins to hit the charts.

SarahG
06-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Jackson left behind what, 440 million in debt?

The executioners of his will are gonna have a fun time sorting through that mess!

Good chance his kids won't get much, if anything out of the deal.

rockabilly
06-27-2009, 03:32 AM
And thats the tragedy, his children left w/ nothing.

tstv_lover
06-27-2009, 04:25 AM
And thats the tragedy, his children left w/ nothing.

I thought the tragedy was that Michael Jackson had died at 50. What'd left behind for kids is surely unimportant.

rockabilly
06-27-2009, 04:31 AM
People have died younger. His children will have to grow up in his shadow and no longer have financial stability.

DaveinBoston
06-27-2009, 04:38 AM
I predict that someone will invest in the Neverland Ranch and pay to put back all the crazy stuff that Michael had there that was sold off. His "ranch" will become the new "Graceland" and surpass Elvis's estate.