PDA

View Full Version : Musical tastes and relationships

wadeintheslade
06-23-2009, 04:46 AM
I was wondering how much of a deciding factor musical tastes is for everyone else when entering into a relationship? When I observe others I can kind of see that people who get together tend to share musical taste.
This is totally understandable, I doubt I would go out with a grown woman if she had a thing for the Jonas Brothers and played them non-stop.
I've seen it happen before I guess. It sometimes ends up being an issue, but I've never seen, say, a girl with a penchant for Lady GaGa going out with a guy who who blares black metal on his car stereo (or vice-versa for that matter).
Is this just a coincidence because both partners are attracted to each other due to similarities? Do you consciously consider your partners taste in music before entering in a relationship? Would you be able to date someone with terrible taste in music or taste opposite that of yourself?

Dirky
06-23-2009, 04:50 AM
I'd like for my lady to share my tastes in not only music but movies and politics too but that isn't the most important thing to sustain a relationship. You try to find some middle ground in which the both of you can peacefully co-exist.

SarahG
06-23-2009, 04:56 AM
It's more important than sex.

j/k. But it is more important then people give it credit for though, think of it this way if both people hate what the other one loves for music, then that's going to make all kinds of things annoying after a while especially for anyone who listens to music half as much as I do.

wadeintheslade
06-23-2009, 05:13 AM
j/k. But it is more important then people give it credit for though, think of it this way if both people hate what the other one loves for music, then that's going to make all kinds of things annoying after a while especially for anyone who listens to music half as much as I do.
Tell me about it, the last person I was with did not appreciate my love of Mr. Bungle

SarahG
06-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Tell me about it, the last person I was with did not appreciate my love of Mr. Bungle

I actually had to google them to know what "Mr. Bungle" is.

wadeintheslade
06-23-2009, 05:22 AM

I really don't go out of my way to like obscure bands, I'd hate to be a hipster.

SarahG
06-23-2009, 05:26 AM

I really don't go out of my way to like obscure bands, I'd hate to be a hipster.

The problem with obscure bands is always finding them, well- the good ones anyway (some bands are obscure for a reason lol).

Quiet Reflections
06-23-2009, 05:56 AM
is doesn't matter to me. my last ex listened to gospel and went to church on Sunday and wed night to do some shit, myself I'm a Atheist/Nihilist and we just didn't care when it came down to it. We had great chemistry and music didn't ever become a factor. I would love to be with a girl that had the same musical tastes as me but i would rather her have similar goals.

tsmandy
06-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Actually, to me, it is as important as sex.

Quiet Reflections
06-23-2009, 07:58 AM
I also like very feminine women and by that i mean a girl that likes flowers, wears dresses a lot , still thinks ladies shouldn't fart or use the bathroom in front of men. A girl that still cries in bad chick movies that she makes me watch, has dinner parties with only her friends i don't like and makes me be polite still,shops to relax, buys named brand clothes and gifts for me with my money. That is hard to find with girls in the Punk scene(and i don't mean pop punk,screamo/emo).opposites attract for sure in my case

tsslutboy
06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
I'd like for my lady to share my tastes in not only music but movies and politics too but that isn't the most important thing to sustain a relationship. You try to find some middle ground in which the both of you can peacefully co-exist.

it is better then when u share the same interest in things as your mate

lupinIII
06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Actually, to me, it is as important as sex.

I'm right there with Mandy on this situation. Music is way too important in my life and I end up getting rather zealous about it. Especially when Pink is the extent of edgy music for the girl I'm seeing.

MacShreach
06-23-2009, 10:22 AM
I also like very feminine women and by that i mean a girl that likes flowers, wears dresses a lot , still thinks ladies shouldn't fart or use the bathroom in front of men. A girl that still cries in bad chick movies that she makes me watch, has dinner parties with only her friends i don't like and makes me be polite still,shops to relax, buys named brand clothes and gifts for me with my money. That is hard to find with girls in the Punk scene(and i don't mean pop punk,screamo/emo).opposites attract for sure in my case

LOL God I love all that stuff.
Especially the bit about the dinner parties with her friends you don't like, cause you know the payback will be worth it.... :D :D

LibertyHarkness
06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
if i were to have a partner i feel that yes some similar tastes would be essential though i do like a little diversity...

So for me if they liked some of the music i listen to would be fine ....but mostly they would have to be the following:

-treat me like a woman all the time
-open doors for me
-let me spank their band debit card :)
-enjoy it when i moan at them and still love me
-take me to muesums and galleries
-love the sea and boats
-have a sick perverted lust for comic books like me
-be a good cook

Oh yeah forgot the sex bits to :) must like a good rough and tumble in the sack.

droog
06-23-2009, 01:37 PM
there is nothing like meeting a girl who shares your tastes in:

music
movies
tv
literature

if you both share the same interests, new finds in these categories are constantly being brought to the table, creating and sparking new conversations, discussions, and/or viewings/listenings. the relationship never gets boring because there is an infinite supply of media for the two of you to share and enjoy.

think about it like this:

you like the postal service, she likes nickelback
you like there will be blood, she likes pirates of the caribbean: at worlds end
you like arrested development, she likes america's funniest home videos
you like david foster wallace, she likes tori spelling

shit just ain't gonna work.

jjhill
06-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Music is very important to me, and play an important role in my life. So we at least have to have some common ground with each other regarding it.

sucka4chix
06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I guess this is why I'm alone--- nobody likes my kind of music!!!

Actually, you and your partner don't have to listen to the same stuff, but it would be nice. It would become an issue if you wanted to go to a show and she always said no. I know I'd end up with someone else.
My issue is with people who ONLY listen to one type of music all the fucking time--- that's annoying!
Also music has an interesting tie in to mental states. Some of it is soothing, but some of it makes you excited, some makes you angry, some depressed. So the music one listens to over and over WILL effect the relationship (like if your girl listens to country all the time and you can't understand why you all of a sudden want to beat her down and sleep with your cousin, try listening to some Luther for a while!)

tsmandy
06-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Its a huge reason why I initially hooked up with my sweetie. Funny story, before she even knew me she was friends with someone who bought a computer from me with my entire music collection on it. From that she knew she was interested in getting to know me, of course I had no idea until I met her and she had all these mixes from my old music library.

Music is just as important as sex to me, and the best is when I can combine them together.