PDA

View Full Version : Boston for the summer

SplizZ
06-19-2009, 05:21 AM
whats there to do? wheres some good places to go? help me out!

SplizZ
06-22-2009, 02:31 AM
no one can help me out?

BeardedOne
06-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Don't ask Ruby, she'll tell you to move to NYC. :lol:

It's been ages since I lived there, but some things never change.

If you are there in time for the Fourth of July, try to catch the annual Pops Concert at the Esplanade. It's crowded as hell but an event not to be missed. The last one I attended was the 1976 Bicentennial celebration and I enjoyed it from the roof of one of my limousines on Memorial Drive, across the river in Cambridge, near MIT. How many musical numbers do you know of that require/use sixteen Howitzers fired by the 26th Yankee Division and the bells of a local church steeple? :D

You can have a nice walking/shopping tour on Newbury and/or Boylston Street (Parallel by one block of the T Green line (Auditorium/Hynes, Copley, Arlington) on sunny days. Harvard Square (T Red Line) is foot-friendly also. I was at the latter last month and it was as bizzy as ever. Harvard has a lot of nice restaurants/pubs as well, to cater to those presidential hopefuls.

If you like nature and jogging/walking, the trails along the Charles, both Boston and Cambridge, are very nice. The Arnold Arboretum is especially nice if you have a date. :)

Boston Museum of Science/Hayden Planetarium, Boston Museum of Fine Arts, Freedom Trail. All cool. The overall cityscape has changed drastically since I lived there (Hundreds of acres of the West End, around and near the Fleet Center, have no resemblance whatsoever to my memories) so I can't speak for local haunts that may be no more than neighborhood ghosts at this point.

As for the social scene (Clubs, dating venues, etc.), I'm not qualified to recommend. I hear that Jaques, near Park Square (Walking distance from the T Green Line stations of Arlington and Boylston, and Orange Line Stations of Chinatown and Tufts) is a nice spot for T gurls.

As long as you have the main toroughfares of the Back Bay down (Back Street, Beacon Street, Marlborough Street, Commonwealth Avenue, and Boylston Street) the rest is alphabetic: Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, Falmouth, Gloucester, Hereford, Ipswich, Jersey, and Kilmarnock.

If you're a sports fan, they have the Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics (Pronounced 'Sell-ticks') and the best of Harvard, BC, BU and others.

Your first thing to do is to get a T "Charlie Card" (Named after the man that was trapped forever on the subway for lack of a nickel) and go exploring. Start at the city center and work your way out. If you like to look at trophy-wife wannabes, check out the club at the Hotel Indigo at the end of the T Riverside line. :)

Also, I'm not much of a foodie, but if you're into the basics like burgers 'n beer you can check out Charlie's Kitchen on Brattle, near Harvard Square and Back Bay House of Pizza on Boylston between Mass Ave and Ipswich. There's also a great place on Washington in J.P. but since they tore down the 'el' I can't for the life of me give directions to it (And the name escapes me).

Good luck. Report back. That is all.