PDA

View Full Version : iPHONE HD is coming soon

Solitary Brother
06-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Yes they just announced the new iPhone 3GS which adds a new O.S and a faster processor and killer features.
The editing of video on the iPhone and the ease that you can do it with is ace
but the real killer is the fact that it can instantly be shared via Youtube or Email or Apple's Mobile Me web hosting app.
I have news for you folks.....the design on this phone 3GS was finished back in early 2007 BEFORE the original iPHONE was ever released.
The next iPhone will absolutely blow you away and you will have to have it.
Its the iPhone HD and will be coming before Sept/Oct because thats when AT&T solves its MMS problem.
This product will be apple's quasi-netbook device since apple doesnt really believe in netbooks.
I dont believe it has gone into production yet but it will and Steve Jobs will personally introduce this device.
Save your pennies because you will want this......BADLY.

jaycanuck
06-12-2009, 04:41 AM
It's not the iPhone HD. You are right in that they're coming out with something...but the recent shift in Macbook branding to pro means they're making room for a new model to replace the forgotten macbook. The reason it wasn't released at WWDC was that it's a brand new operating system that is between the iPhone and OS X. The benefit Apple has is that all of their devices have OS X at their core....they just need to adjust to the device. That being said it's no small task to create a new OS ineterface.

My guess...tablet with touch screen keyboard.

Solitary Brother
06-12-2009, 06:48 AM
It's not the iPhone HD. You are right in that they're coming out with something...but the recent shift in Macbook branding to pro means they're making room for a new model to replace the forgotten macbook. The reason it wasn't released at WWDC was that it's a brand new operating system that is between the iPhone and OS X. The benefit Apple has is that all of their devices have OS X at their core....they just need to adjust to the device. That being said it's no small task to create a new OS ineterface.

My guess...tablet with touch screen keyboard.

Your dead wrong.
They STILL sell the Macbook.....go look on the website.

"The reason it wasn't released at WWDC was that it's a brand new operating system that is between the iPhone and OS X."

This statement was nonsensical and Im not trying to be mean.
The iPhone uses OS/X as its operating system and the developer tools to program it are the same as desktop OS/X.

You just dont know what your talking about on many fronts here.....

Why would they come out with a Tablet now?
In the middle of a recession?
I hear there working on one but it wont be out this year.
And........
They just dropped the prices on ALL their notebooks......why do that and then come out with a "netbook" or similar device ala tablet that will undercut that market?

Apple is WAY to smart for that.

You need to study a little bit more.

DC
06-12-2009, 10:52 AM
If you jailbreak the iphone you can do all those things which are listed as new features on the Iphone 3GS. Im yet to do it myself, first Im going to wait for the OS3.0 update.

jaycanuck
06-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Your dead wrong.

"The reason it wasn't released at WWDC was that it's a brand new operating system that is between the iPhone and OS X."

The iPhone uses OS/X as its operating system and the developer tools to program it are the same as desktop OS/X.

And........
They just dropped the prices on ALL their notebooks......why do that and then come out with a "netbook" or similar device ala tablet that will undercut that market?

SB...you really don't want to go toe to toe with me on Mac stuff. I follow mac news daily and have read many history books on the company...been doing so for about 15 years. Hell..even worked in a Mac store fixing computers before Apple even opened their retail stores. I'll answer each point for you so you can be enlightened.

1. They do still sell the macbook, you're right. But Macbook is their best selling computer. Why would they be relegating it 1 lowly model...just white while they hype up the pro line? They're shooting themselves in the feet. The reality is they are slowly phasing this model out. What could they replace it with? The Pro line has the new uniform metal body...hard to put another plastic laptop form against that. No...what they're doing is releasing a new product and soon. There's a reason Jobs didn't do the keynote presentation. One...he was still recovering from his illness...but the real reason is that he wants to hold an event to announce this. School season is approaching...Apple's biggest selling season next to iPods at Christmas. Will we see it then? Maybe...it all depends on my next point.

2. Reeeeally? Wow I didn't know that! Do you take me for an idiot? I've used X-Code. Have you? The deal is this... the OS X kernel is Darwin...Darwin is opensource..but that doesn't have to do with this point. Darwin is small....so it's why it could be put on the iPhone. It was also put onto the Apple TV.

Now...the stuff on top of Darwin is what makes it the OS we see. X works in layers. The interface we see on the iPhone is such a small part of the whole OS. it's like the tip of the iceberg. The way the Objective C (the language of the OS) works is that it works with Classes...basically overall controlling code that any "mortal" programmer can take and extend their software. So for apple...they can add, throw away...whatever to create a new OS. You won't find every single thing in the iPhone that the Mac OS has...my god it would have taken half a 16GB iPhone.

So after that very brief explanation of a complex topic...you can't take the iPhone OS and throw it on a bigger screen. Why would I buy a bigger iPhone? iPhone is for portable checking of stuff...nothing more. Can you do Word or Excel on iPhone? No. And why would you want to? Additionally you can't have a bloated desktop OS on a tablet...and the UI stuff you do on the destop OS isn't conducive to a touch screen environment. Apple aren't idiots. They are working on a new OS for this MACBOOK to allow for desktop type use...but the simplicity of touchscreen. Additionally, this is also a new revenue stream for new Apps.

3. regarding the recession. Apple has remained one of only 2 profitable computer makers during this nasty time (the other is Dell). Apple has also been through a slump in the early 2000s. If you knew your Apple history, Steve said the way they were profitable back then is that they innovated. They kept innovating. Apple isn't GM or Chrysler....they still aren't selling OS 9. Did I say it was for sure going to come out now? No...but signs are the economy will improve towards the end of the year and into next. Don't let a recession be your excuse for being stagnant.

So there you have it SB. Your schooling for the day. And don't try to school me on Apple stuff. Trust me, you'll lose.

DC
06-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Jay you seem very knowledgeable on apple technology, what do you think about jailbreaking iphones, is there a real benefit to the user to do this, obviously you get access to third party apps but any other real reason to do it.

jaycanuck
06-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Jay you seem very knowledgeable on apple technology, what do you think about jailbreaking iphones, is there a real benefit to the user to do this, obviously you get access to third party apps but any other real reason to do it.

We didn't have the iPhone up here when it was first generation. There was all of this talk about buying a phone from the States and unlocking / jailbreaking it. Some of my friends did buy...one was charged 3 times for updates from this local guy. Back then the unlocking process was touch and go...if you bricked your phone you were screwed (well...there were ways to revive it..but i digress.). Even though I could have done it (even offered to help that friend, but he didn't wait) I decided to hold on.

I used to hack, download, steal, tech support, so on and so forth and I just wanted to experience the actual support from Fido. Something messes up you bring it in..all legit.

Now..that was a long way in basically saying I've thought about doing it lately. Usually start thinking about it when I find something Apple hasn't implemented ( 3G modem tethering, copy and paste ). Usually ends up if I wait it out it'll come. And it has with this new update. So the desire to jailbreak has passed.

From what I've heard jailbreaking is harmless. It's the unlocking of the sim card that gets touchy. The software to jailbreak has also become a cake walk. It all depends on what you want out of your phone. Is there something you really want that Apple hasn't put in? Also...with 3.0 out now, there's a bigger push for outside development of apps. If it were me I'd wait a bit and see. But that's me.

Solitary Brother
06-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Your dead wrong.

And........

SB...you really don't want to go toe to toe with me on Mac stuff. I follow mac news daily and have read many history books on the company...been doing so for about 15 years. Hell..even worked in a Mac store fixing computers before Apple even opened their retail stores. I'll answer each point for you so you can be enlightened.

1. They do still sell the macbook, you're right. But Macbook is their best selling computer. Why would they be relegating it 1 lowly model...just white while they hype up the pro line? They're shooting themselves in the feet. The reality is they are slowly phasing this model out. What could they replace it with? The Pro line has the new uniform metal body...hard to put another plastic laptop form against that. No...what they're doing is releasing a new product and soon. There's a reason Jobs didn't do the keynote presentation. One...he was still recovering from his illness...but the real reason is that he wants to hold an event to announce this. School season is approaching...Apple's biggest selling season next to iPods at Christmas. Will we see it then? Maybe...it all depends on my next point.

2. Reeeeally? Wow I didn't know that! Do you take me for an idiot? I've used X-Code. Have you? The deal is this... the OS X kernel is Darwin...Darwin is opensource..but that doesn't have to do with this point. Darwin is small....so it's why it could be put on the iPhone. It was also put onto the Apple TV.

Now...the stuff on top of Darwin is what makes it the OS we see. X works in layers. The interface we see on the iPhone is such a small part of the whole OS. it's like the tip of the iceberg. The way the Objective C (the language of the OS) works is that it works with Classes...basically overall controlling code that any "mortal" programmer can take and extend their software. So for apple...they can add, throw away...whatever to create a new OS. You won't find every single thing in the iPhone that the Mac OS has...my god it would have taken half a 16GB iPhone.

So after that very brief explanation of a complex topic...you can't take the iPhone OS and throw it on a bigger screen. Why would I buy a bigger iPhone? iPhone is for portable checking of stuff...nothing more. Can you do Word or Excel on iPhone? No. And why would you want to? Additionally you can't have a bloated desktop OS on a tablet...and the UI stuff you do on the destop OS isn't conducive to a touch screen environment. Apple aren't idiots. They are working on a new OS for this MACBOOK to allow for desktop type use...but the simplicity of touchscreen. Additionally, this is also a new revenue stream for new Apps.

3. regarding the recession. Apple has remained one of only 2 profitable computer makers during this nasty time (the other is Dell). Apple has also been through a slump in the early 2000s. If you knew your Apple history, Steve said the way they were profitable back then is that they innovated. They kept innovating. Apple isn't GM or Chrysler....they still aren't selling OS 9. Did I say it was for sure going to come out now? No...but signs are the economy will improve towards the end of the year and into next. Don't let a recession be your excuse for being stagnant.

So there you have it SB. Your schooling for the day. And don't try to school me on Apple stuff. Trust me, you'll lose.

Im not picking a fight with you over computers since you are a VERY nice guy and I appreciate that......

BUT THERES ONE MORE THING..........

"The way the Objective C (the language of the OS) works is that it works with Classes...basically overall controlling code that any "mortal" programmer can take and extend their software"

I am trying to learn Objective C although I do know C++ and I have fooled around with X-code...I have a couple of books on Objective C.

Anyways I think what you were trying to say is the FRAMEWORKS make programming easier in Mac OS/X not classes.

The iPHONE O.S IS based on Mac OS/X and X-code is used to program it.
The current iPHONE 3GS IS HD capable.....although the screen cannot display that resolution(I know this sounds weird and wrong but look it up).

As far as the Macbook goes that have a one and the MacBook pro line has been extended downward to entail a 13 inch model for CHEAP.
Apple is a company about MARGINS not releasing a whole bunch of products.
They are not making room for cheaper notebooks.....why would they do that?...they want people to buy the MacBook Pro for $1199.
There are a ZILLION notebooks out there and a lot of hot netbooks too or smartbooks or whatever the nomenclature is.
Apple is not getting in that market....I dont see it and they dont see it either because none other than Steve Jobs has stated he doesnt see netbooks.
Apple is about changing the world not introducing "me too" products.

"and the UI stuff you do on the destop OS isn't conducive to a touch screen environment. Apple aren't idiots. They are working on a new OS for this MACBOOK to allow for desktop type use...but the simplicity of touchscreen."

The O.S that is currently used in the iPHONE is Mac O.S X its just slightly modified.
Its a cut down version.
The reason why the iPhone is a success isnt because of its hardware because physically the iPHONE isnt that great.
Its the software.
And what specifically about the software?
It make using this phone almost and extension of your desktop.....the browser is JUST LIKE the desktop version.....EXACTLY like it in fact.
That extends to the other applications built in to the iPHONE.
Sure the touch screen is new technology(for Apple that is) but the MacBook Pro's trackpad has MULTITOUCH technology built in.

Also
The iPhone has memory not associated with the designator by which it is sold by.
For instance the new iPhone goes up to 32 gb of memory right?
That is a secondary storage....like a hard disk drive or solid state drive thats not SYSTEM memory.
The new iPHONE has internal firmware(ROM) and ram......256mb.
That is where the O.S resides.

jaycanuck
06-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Anyways I think what you were trying to say is the FRAMEWORKS make programming easier in Mac OS/X not classes.
Sighh...CLASS FRAMEWORKS...you win in a symantics point. Well done.

There are a ZILLION notebooks out there and a lot of hot netbooks too or smartbooks or whatever the nomenclature is. Apple is not getting in that market....I dont see it and they dont see it either because none other than Steve Jobs has stated he doesnt see netbooks.
"He also said "we're working on some things". He said no to netbooks. Read the shareholder notes.

The O.S that is currently used in the iPHONE is Mac O.S X its just slightly modified.
So the 2.0 OS was about a 1.5 GB install. The OS X desktop version is about 5 GB. That's not exactly a small modification. If ALL of X was on the iPhone it'd be pretty fricken sluggish. For instance it's Open GL ES instead of Open GL on the desktop. And the UI is considerable altered. You can't just throw the OS X interface on an iPhone. C'mon SB.

In any event, I see this discussion going around in circles. Talk to me in a few months and we'll see what happens. I have some stuff to do.

Jericho
06-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Sorry, but............... :lol:

DC
06-13-2009, 02:41 AM
So all the apps in the itunes app store are available through installous

Beagle
06-13-2009, 04:12 AM
I can't see Apple introducing a device that runs the iPhone interface (yes I know it's Mac OS X under the hood) and give it the name of "MacBook".

jaycanuck
06-13-2009, 04:14 AM
I can't see Apple introducing a device that runs the iPhone interface (yes I know it's Mac OS X under the hood) and give it the name of "MacBook".

I agree. The rumor channels are saying it's a new interface.