PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, transplant question.

FREEFALLL666
06-08-2009, 05:45 AM
I have seen that the possibility of Womb Transplants may come up for women in the future it has already been proved a viable operation with success.. Now for the killer, Ladies would you receive a womb and give birth (obviously by C-Section) if you could?

tsntx
06-08-2009, 05:47 AM
what a wasteful surgery... why would you do something so unneccassary? why put yourself at such a high risk? dumb.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
06-08-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm sure others would go such great length as to get that type of surgery. But for me personally? I think IF I did srs one day that would be the last major surgery my body could/would take. If i really wanted a biological kid, I'd just pester my younger sister to donate an egg and/or be a surrogate. The kid would still be my flesh and blood. Same thing! ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

AmyDaly
06-08-2009, 10:09 AM
what a wasteful surgery... why would you do something so unneccassary? why put yourself at such a high risk? dumb.

I don't think it is wasteful or Dumb at all. A lot of transwomen would much rather not have been born trans and would go through any length to live a life as close to a cisgendered woman as much as possible. I know ALOT of girls that would love to be able to have children.

A very long time ago, it used to be very risky just to have children and women died all the time giving birth. It might be unneccasary to you, but to some people, it may be what they have always dreamed of being able to do.

MacShreach
06-08-2009, 11:39 AM

I don't think it is wasteful or Dumb at all. A lot of transwomen would much rather not have been born trans and would go through any length to live a life as close to a cisgendered woman as much as possible. I know ALOT of girls that would love to be able to have children.

A very long time ago, it used to be very risky just to have children and women died all the time giving birth. It might be unneccasary to you, but to some people, it may be what they have always dreamed of being able to do.

Hi Amy

There is a lot of interest in this, which has been successfully carried out by surgeons using lab animals in Spain.

As to the risks, well, there are risks with any surgery and anyone who thinks there aren't is deluding themselves--remember Fabio Scorpion, who died during a simple cosmetic procedure to have calf implants? And GRS in its early days was a fairly risky and somewhat unsubtle procedure, and the aftercare was at best ill-understood--April Ashley, for example, suffered multiple long-bone fractures while she was still very young, because her doctors had withdrawn her HRT (believing it to be unnecessary.) However, a great deal of the techniques that would be required are already well understood--hysterectomy, CS, tissue transplants, HRT, IV fertilisation, anti-rejection therapy--it would appear to be more a matter of putting things together rather than breaking completely new ground.

Having said that, and assuming the technique were viable in humans (there is little doubt that it will be) then it becomes a question of weighing the imperative to have a child of your own against the risks, of course the cost, and not least, the availability of a compatible womb.

For natal women, the suggestion has been made that where possible, ova would be taken from the woman herself, fertilised in vitro and then implanted; where this is not possible and in the case of transwomen, a donor egg would be required, presenting other issues.

I have very little doubt that this procedure will become available; just how widespread it becomes is another question altogether. However, if we take the numbers of GRS as a guide, we can see that over the last four decades, this has multiplied from a handful of procedures a year to many, many thousands, and the fact is that surgeons are like everyone else; the more often they do something the better they get at it.

tsntx
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM

becoming the surrogate for your own child wont make the child anymore yours nor will it make you any more female

would be an unnecessary surgery ... people that feel this would be a smart or needed surgery shouldnt be having children in the first place