PDA

View Full Version : I trashed Windows

ds5929
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
on my pc to the point where it was not recoverable,so for now I"m using Ubuntu with Firefox and Opera as web browsers,and I'm having a problem with the HA site. Whenever I mouse over a forum topic, the pop-up summary appears. So far OK. But then, if I click on the topic,when I return to the forum index, the popup remains on the screen,making it impossible to read whatever is underneath it. Any tech-savvy members out there who can supply a fix for this?

hwbs
05-18-2009, 07:22 PM
there has been problems from time to time that are being worked on...in the meantime hit the refresh button and it should clear those boxes :)

partlycloudy
05-18-2009, 08:00 PM
disable javascript.

NYBURBS
05-19-2009, 12:15 AM
on my pc to the point where it was not recoverable,so for now I"m using Ubuntu with Firefox and Opera as web browsers,and I'm having a problem with the HA site. Whenever I mouse over a forum topic, the pop-up summary appears. So far OK. But then, if I click on the topic,when I return to the forum index, the popup remains on the screen,making it impossible to read whatever is underneath it. Any tech-savvy members out there who can supply a fix for this?

lol yea I've been having the same issue with the pop up boxes recently.

flabbybody
05-19-2009, 01:24 AM
sometimes IE's pop-up blocker prevents me from opening threads within certain websites and its not limited to HA. I've given up trying to understand anything Windows based. you jus have to accept the constant BS unless you're willing to shell out the dough for a Mac.
And from the recent exellent and informative HA thread on OSX, Apple is not a perfect world either

Ecstatic
05-19-2009, 01:30 AM
sometimes IE's pop-up blocker prevents me from opening threads within certain websites and its not limited to HA. I've given up trying to understand anything Windows based. you jus have to accept the constant BS unless you're willing to shell out the dough for a Mac.
And from the recent exellent and informative HA thread on OSX, Apple is not a perfect world either
So true (even though I get a kick out of the Mac/PC TV ads). PCs (meaning Windows--any small computer is by definition a personal computer, including Macs) have a much larger installed user base, and a much higher incidence of computer naivety than Macs do, both factors making PCs more desirable targets for virus creators and hackers. But since Mac started using Intel chips, the incidence of viruses written to exploit Macs has risen. Likewise, while superior to Windows in memory management, Macs are still subject at times to crashes.

icarus2112
05-19-2009, 01:47 AM
as far as the thread pop ups, I have always had a majority of those pop ups stay popped up and blocking screen whenever I linger on thread title long enough to start to read the pop up. one work around is just clicking on a page number which avoids the thread preview pop up. other times I just have to refresh screen usually by clicking the forum (general discussion) major title, I use Firefox for browser and have had this issue on XP and Vista computers.

kukm4
05-19-2009, 01:58 AM
could No Scirpt for FF help?

Willie Escalade
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
could No Scirpt for FF help?
Not really; it happens to me as well...but only when I use the back button. I just refresh the page like Coco mentioned. :shock: :shock: