PDA

View Full Version : NO More erotic service section on CRAIGS LIST

rico87
05-13-2009, 08:31 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090513/us_nm/us_craigslist

I knew it right after that girl got murdered in Boston that was the last straw, oh well i personally thought it sucked and fake pics were used most of the times.

SarahG
05-13-2009, 08:37 PM

I knew it right after that girl got murdered in Boston that was the last straw, oh well i personally thought it sucked and fake pics were used most of the times.

You can tell how many people in the US were using that section of CL, based on the fact the story went right to the front page of yahoo's news headlines.

rico87
05-13-2009, 08:47 PM

You can tell how many people in the US were using that section of CL, based on the fact the story went right to the front page of yahoo's news headlines.

It is breaking news on Yahoo but somehow there is already a thread started 5 hours ago, my bad didn't catch it.

Shining Star
05-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, owners of Exotics.com and Eros.com must be jumping for joy. Al Goldstein would have been thrilled and Screw Magazine might have been around longer if LE cracked down on the Village Voice and other inexpensive alternative ad sites.

Do not really see how much of an impact this is really going to have. As mentioned Exotics and Eros are still around, so are any number of other Internet sites, some free and others lower cost than the majors.

While it is tragic the girl in Boston was killed, sex workers have been harmed and or murdered from meeting dates through various outlets. This has happened ever since there has been hoeing, and sadly is a risk one takes when meeting a strange person. Indeed several girls have gone missing and or murdered in NYC merely by going to a nightclub and meeting "Mr. Goodbar", no sex work involved.

Several problems with CL's plan come to mind at once.

How is CL going to determine whom is a "legitmate" adult entertainer? Once they begin asking for certian information, CL will become liable for protecting same. Also it could backfire if even after this latest attempt there still isn't a meaningful reduction in traffic. After all nothing has worked so far, and by routing all adult adverts through a CL employee, CL now will have the same responsibility as perhaps print media and certianly Eros/Exotics.

Really boggles the mind how much funds and effort goes into "fighting" what by and large is a market place of consenting adults.

SS

alex_c
05-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, owners of Exotics.com and Eros.com must be jumping for joy. Al Goldstein would have been thrilled and Screw Magazine might have been around longer if LE cracked down on the Village Voice and other inexpensive alternative ad sites.

Not really, if you look at craigslist you'll note under PERSONALS you see casual encounters this is where the prostitutes will all flood to now, as if they already haven't :roll:

MrF
05-14-2009, 12:51 AM
The ads might pop up elsewhere on CL (e.g. casual encounters) but the Attorney Generals vowed to monitor the site and prevent that. We'll have to see how it plays out.

CL erotic was sometimes annoying -- ~50% of the ads used fake pics, and you never knew if you'd find Fred Flintstone in a wig. On the other hand, there were girls who either couldn't afford Eros, or didn't want to go "big time" or were part-timers. Some real gems in that group. How else to find them if CL is killed ?