PDA

View Full Version : Scholarships for being a transsexual?

RubyTS
05-13-2009, 04:47 AM
I've heard that the goverment gives scholarships to left handed people and transsexuals, among other things. Does anyone know if this is true? I've been google searching and cant find anything!

praetor
05-13-2009, 05:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddaRTuYRW4

jjhill
05-13-2009, 05:07 AM
hey rubes try this link, you probably seen it already. if you did i apologize

http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/gay.phtml

I wasn't gonna post it cuz the url, but it has a ton of info on it.

RubyTS
05-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Deaf Queer Youth Scholarship
The Deaf Queer Resource Center sponsors a $500 scholarship for deaf lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex or queer students who are out about their sexual orientation/identity. Candidates must be currently enrolled in high school or college, be under the age of 25, and have a minimum 2.5 GPA. US Citizenship is required. Deaf Queer youth of color are especially encouraged to apply. Selection is based on a written or video essay. The deadline is July 15.

jjhill
05-13-2009, 05:36 AM
You know i always try to look out for my homegirl :wink:

SarahG
05-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Most scholarships aren't gov-run, a lot of the scholarships that are out there are from charities, lobbyist groups, private companies, etc.

Alyssa87
05-13-2009, 05:49 PM
http://www.tself.org/

they sent me a lil somethin.

good luck Missy. i have a lot of faith in your potential. you are a special being!
if you dont do something significant in this world to better it, i will one day be genuinely surprised.

Silcc69
05-13-2009, 07:42 PM
The Deaf Queer Resource Center sponsors a $500 scholarship for deaf lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex or queer students who are out about their sexual orientation/identity. Candidates must be currently enrolled in high school or college, be under the age of 25, and have a minimum 2.5 GPA. US Citizenship is required. Deaf Queer youth of color are especially encouraged to apply. Selection is based on a written or video essay. The deadline is July 15.

Is that real and not a joke?

LIYankees
05-14-2009, 06:47 AM
$500??? lol. that will ALMOST buy you half of a credit (1/6 of a class)

SarahG
05-14-2009, 07:17 AM

Or two textbooks... maybe.

Floyd R
05-14-2009, 07:47 AM
I agree, there is something special about TS Ruby. She is probably not aware of her power yet.

http://www.tself.org/

they sent me a lil somethin.

good luck Missy. i have a lot of faith in your potential. you are a special being!
if you dont do something significant in this world to better it, i will one day be genuinely surprised.

jjhill
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Or two textbooks... maybe.

Any money is good money when your a college student lol

kalina
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Here at Penn we have the Leslie Townsend fund which I think is up to $500 to any college student (I believe at Penn) who is transitioning. Courses here are $4,751 each so that basically pays for books, lab fees, and mones (it actually says you can use it to pay for mones!).

I read about the Lifetime learning credit and the Hope Learning credit for people filing their tax forms and earning less than $78k. If you're enrolled in an accredited college program and pay for your tuition out of your own pocket, you're entitled to 20% back from the IRS (max cap of $10k). This will really help me if I go for my MFA.

Alyssa87
05-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Here at Penn we have the Leslie Townsend fund which I think is up to $500 to any college student (I believe at Penn) who is transitioning. Courses here are $4,751 each so that basically pays for books, lab fees, and mones (it actually says you can use it to pay for mones!).

I read about the Lifetime learning credit and the Hope Learning credit for people filing their tax forms and earning less than $78k. If you're enrolled in an accredited college program and pay for your tuition out of your own pocket, you're entitled to 20% back from the IRS (max cap of $10k). This will really help me if I go for my MFA.

whoa! great tip. thanks.