PDA

View Full Version : Experiencing Philadelphia (in a bad way)

dc_guy_75
05-13-2009, 01:34 AM
I went to Philly last weekend (for the first time) to hang out with a friend who's a tgirl. We were walking down 12th st near Locust st to meet some her friends and we were pretty much accosted several times by various sketchy guys.

One guy yelled at me "Come over here!" three times, each time louder than the first. Another strung out guy came up and said "I got something to tell you man". Others whistled.

Maybe I'm too used to DC, and I've been to plenty of gay sections of many cities, but it was the most cruisey, sketchy streets I've ever seen. And it was only 3 or 4 blocks from city hall (but at 11:30 on a saturday night).

I realize Philly has been in decline for 50 years, but wtf? It reminded me of Escape from New York" movie. Its like the Oakland of the East Coast or something.

There are definitely some beautiful parts of the city, but this was an eye opening experience.

Anyways, just needed to rant.

flabbybody
05-13-2009, 01:57 AM
I walk in Tribeca here in NYC where Robert DeNiro and Tom Brady lives and I get spit on by deranged homeless people. and the rats are the size of small dogs.
and forget about buying lunch for less than $7

Philly is tame compared to New York.

addicted
05-13-2009, 04:10 AM
dc, I wouldent put to much in to that because there are always cats trying to hustle you for something everywhere. Its only a few minute walk from the bad section where you were at philly you will always get thugs and huslters making their way to the nice parts of the city hall area. Just ignore them and if they ask to sell you something look them in the eyes and say no.

RubyTS
05-13-2009, 04:45 AM
lmao i stay @ the hilton in center city on 10 and arch and everytime i come out the hotel there are bums harassing me for change or a cigarette, and the guys out there r very persistant with flirting

thx1138
05-13-2009, 06:54 AM
"Hey, buddy. Can you spare a dime?"

Willie Escalade
05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
At least that city gave us Gamble & Huff, Thom Bell, Patti LaBelle, and countless other musicians. Fuck the Phillies!

T-girl hound
05-13-2009, 09:33 AM
lmao i stay @ the hilton in center city on 10 and arch and everytime i come out the hotel there are bums harassing me for change or a cigarette, and the guys out there r very persistant with flirting

who the hell wouldnt flirt with you

RubyTS
05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
he he he

MacShreach
05-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Exactly what I was thinking...

kensterling
05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
It's difficult to walk in that section later at night with at least someone panhandling or another guy trying to pick you up. While working in Philly, I stay at the Marriot on Market St, which is just up the block. Gay guys are very aggresive down there, near Woody's and of course down locust near Sister's.
Hey, it's a city, just keep moving, stay in lighted areas and don't go where you should not. I have had some fun there, so there are things to like there, just pick the right spots.
Philly is in pretty bad shape there. It was not great before, but def on the decline.

RubyTS
05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
i actually feel very at home in philadelphia for some odd reason. its one of the cities i kinda enjoy visiting. i just get sick of all the guys with those horrible beards wassup with that?

LTR_Seeker
05-13-2009, 01:19 PM
i actually feel very at home in philadelphia for some odd reason. its one of the cities i kinda enjoy visiting. i just get sick of all the guys with those horrible beards wassup with that?....... So dont like men with beards huh ..lol

chelseafc
05-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Haha The Beards are more from the Black muslims but just guys in General have picked that up. It a nice place to be, girls get hit on most of the time, disrespectful behavior but it's still the same thing that would happen in NY.

The only thing that bothers me is seeing kids with some 13 & 14 yr olds wearing T-shirts with stupid slogans like "KILLADELPHIA, PISTOLVANNIA"

jjhill
05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
At least that city gave us Gamble & Huff, Thom Bell, Patti LaBelle, and countless other musicians. Fuck the Phillies!

I love the Philadelphia sound!

Bobzz
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
As a New Yorker living in exile in Philadelphia for career reasons for the past 25 years, I can't so much say that I like the place as much as it's just tolerable. Philadelphia has a well deserved reputation for mediocrity one numerous levels but most Philadelphian's think the city is something else despite the fact that it's an awful rough and largely unsophisticated town (go figure). About the best thing you can say about the place (other than, the Philadelphia Sound, pretzels and cheesesteak sandwiches) is that you can get to NYC and to other places pretty easily. As for the local t-gal talent, it is absymal. It's mostly wig wearin crack hoes and angry cobra headed finger snappers. Sheesh! Ruby, I don't have a beard but I'd be willing to shave my body (ok, it's a metaphor) for the chance to see you.

scubaman
05-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Ditto

flabbybody
05-13-2009, 04:55 PM
if your going to live in a sketchy neighborhood Philly beats New York...
much more affordable

Big Kev
05-14-2009, 04:16 AM
I've lived around Philly for a few years, but did not have any luck finding any tgirls.

RubyTS
05-14-2009, 04:18 AM
im considerring visiting soon, actually might just be my next trip. its been a while

kalina
05-14-2009, 06:18 AM
You all are describing a Philly I've never seen. There are problem areas like 12th street between locust and spruce, but it's only after a certain time.

Not all of us like cheesesteaks, pretzels, and the so-called Philly food. Some of us like Morimoto (which I've been taken to 19 times), Vetri, Lacroix, and Le Bec Fin.

dc_guy_75
05-14-2009, 07:38 AM
You all are describing a Philly I've never seen. There are problem areas like 12th street between locust and spruce, but it's only after a certain time.

Absolutely. I was staying at the Marriott on 12th and Market, and its wrong to sum up a city by the most sketchiest of streets, especially on a warm saturday night.

Its easy (by seeing your videos) that there are some down to earth, good people who live there... the friends of the girl I was with were very cool too.

Cheers!

RubyTS
05-14-2009, 07:59 AM
I just checked out your youtube.. i ALWAYS eat @ the midtown diner when i get my cravings at 3am and cant sleep lol

BeardedOne
05-14-2009, 08:05 AM
i actually feel very at home in philadelphia for some odd reason. its one of the cities i kinda enjoy visiting. i just get sick of all the guys with those horrible beards wassup with that?....... So dont like men with beards huh ..lol

:shock:

What'd =I= do? :o

And hey, don't forget, Philly also brought us Larry Fine. :lol:

RubyTS
05-14-2009, 08:12 AM
the rates right now are a lil higher than im used to paying :(

kalina
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I just checked out your youtube.. i ALWAYS eat @ the midtown diner when i get my cravings at 3am and cant sleep lol

I have an obsession with scrapple when I'm at a diner late at night; I don't know why. Sausage and bacon just doesn't do anything for me :) Maybe I'll see you around sometime at a midtown. If I'm not there for breakfast, I'm usually in Chinatown where they have four places open until 3 to 4am. Peking duck with the little pancakes or bean curd stuffed with shrimp in black bean sauce is usually what I go for.

JeniferTS
05-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Kalina..That's a cute avatar.

wukinpunub68
05-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Philly is by far the dirtiest city i have ever visited, and i live in NYC

kalina
05-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Thank you! :)

flabbybody
05-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I've always wanted to check out Kalina's Monday party
Philly's a very cool town. you jus need to know where to go

Yelstone
05-27-2009, 09:24 PM

Kalina,

Your photography is very good and you are talented . I have seen some of you posts on the L-forum.
Eugene

kalina
05-27-2009, 09:36 PM

Kalina,

Your photography is very good and you are talented . I have seen some of you posts on the L-forum.
Eugene

Thanks! :)

Chuck
05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Back to the thread's original rant. Philadelphia is an unsophisticated city full of people who are the same. The problem for anyone who is from the D.C. area is that they tend to be just a little spoiled by all the amentities of living in the capital city. D.C. is a whole lot cleaner, much higher level of education and standard of living(even in the hoods). I got stuck in Philly once, for about two years. I was shocked to see what people from there consider good living. Back in D.C. people in the hood don't even live that bad.

Philly is not and should never be mistaken for a world class city. It's the Cleveland and Detroit of the atlantic coast. Barely a step above Trenton. It's only -- AND I MEAN ONLY -- saving grace is that it's a short drive from NYC. Every part of Philly looks the same. If I blind folded you and drove you to various parts of the city, then unblindfolded you and asked "where are we?" your answer would be "beats the fuck out of me. It all looks the same." Even Baltimore has more going for itself than Philly. Also, Philly does not have nearly as many "girls" as it used to. Can't blame them for fleeing a broke ass city like that.

kalina
05-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Back to the thread's original rant. Philadelphia is an unsophisticated city full of people who are the same. The problem for anyone who is from the D.C. area is that they tend to be just a little spoiled by all the amentities of living in the capital city. D.C. is a whole lot cleaner, much higher level of education and standard of living(even in the hoods). I got stuck in Philly once, for about two years. I was shocked to see what people from there consider good living. Back in D.C. people in the hood don't even live that bad.

Philly is not and should never be mistaken for a world class city. It's the Cleveland and Detroit of the atlantic coast. Barely a step above Trenton. It's only -- AND I MEAN ONLY -- saving grace is that it's a short drive from NYC. Every part of Philly looks the same. If I blind folded you and drove you to various parts of the city, then unblindfolded you and asked "where are we?" your answer would be "beats the fuck out of me. It all looks the same." Even Baltimore has more going for itself than Philly. Also, Philly does not have nearly as many "girls" as it used to. Can't blame them for fleeing a broke ass city like that.

Please don't generalize the people or the city. There is a lot of history in the city that at one time even I with my two master's degrees - one from an Ivy League university - failed to realize. I am not sure why you hate Philly so much and I actually don't care. You can bet that if I thought this town was as bad as you portray it to be, I would've left a long time ago, but I think it's great. A smaller version of New York without the pretentiousness. A place where making a six-figure salary actually means something because your purchasing power is a lot greater here than in New York or DC.

I beg you to find one school in DC that is even on par with Penn, not Penn State, my alma mater.

Alyssa87
05-27-2009, 10:39 PM
every time ive gone, it was a blast.
mostly concerts (floetry& jill scott)

but also that heavenly (for me) interactive museum- the Franklin Institute.

Chuck
05-27-2009, 10:47 PM

Please don't generalize the people or the city. There is a lot of history in the city that at one time even I with my two master's degrees - one from an Ivy League university - failed to realize. I am not sure why you hate Philly so much and I actually don't care. You can bet that if I thought this town was as bad as you portray it to be, I would've left a long time ago, but I think it's great. A smaller version of New York without the pretentiousness. A place where making a six-figure salary actually means something because your purchasing power is a lot greater here than in New York or DC.

I beg you to find one school in DC that is even on par with Penn, not Penn State, my alma mater.

Yes Philadelphia has a lot of history. Much of it needs to be torn down and re-built. Of course a 6 figure salary in Philadelphia means a lot. It's like being a millionaire everywhere else because everyone in Philly is so damn broke.

Not a smaller version of New York. Just a larger version of Camden.

Philadelphia does have some fine schools, and students from other parts of the east coast are glad for the opportunity to enroll in their fourth, fifth, and sixth choice of school. Yes, Penn is an excellent university. I have many friends who were rejected by Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornel, Brown, and Dartmouth who are proud Quaker alums.

kalina
05-27-2009, 10:53 PM

Yes Philadelphia has a lot of history. Much of it needs to be torn down and re-built. Of course a 6 figure salary in Philadelphia means a lot. It's like being a millionaire everywhere else because everyone in Philly is so damn broke.

Philadelphia does have some fine schools, and students from other parts of the east coast are glad for the opportunity to enroll in their fourth, fifth, and sixth choice of school. Yes, Penn is an excellent university. I have many friends who were rejected by Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornel, Brown, and Dartmouth who are proud Quaker alums.

Oy, silly boy. DC has nothing akin to Penn. What, Georgetown? Ha. American University? Feh. Having friends who go to all those nice schools is not the same as you going there. Not in the least.

If Philly is so damn broke, that doesn't explain why my 3 bedroom 1,800 square foot condo goes for half a million. And that, my friend, is cheap here.

Chuck
05-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Oy, silly boy. DC has nothing akin to Penn. What, Georgetown? Ha. American University? Feh. Having friends who go to all those nice schools is not the same as you going there. Not in the least.

If Philly is so damn broke, that doesn't explain why my 3 bedroom 1,800 square foot condo goes for half a million. And that, my friend, is cheap here.

If I offered you $250,000 for it I bet you'd take it and move to a higher class of city -- like East St. Louis.

I'm just playing. Philly cool with me as long as I don't have to rest my head there. Why don't I visit you next time I'm up around your way? We can do some high brow Philly stuff like go the The Kimmel Center.

Quiet Reflections
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM

try telling people in Berry Farm or the rest of South East they have a higher quality of life. The rest of DC is nothing like Georgetown or capital hill either and Baltimore is flat out horrible. Philly has way more going for it than Baltimore. Baltimore is well know for providing one the worst educations possible in the US( lowest graduation percentage) and is located in Maryland Which was ranked #1 For for best schools in the country.

kalina
05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
If I offered you $250,000 for it I bet you'd take it and move to a higher class of city -- like East St. Louis.

I'm just playing. Philly cool with me as long as I don't have to rest my head there. Why don't I visit you next time I'm up around your way? We can do some high brow Philly stuff like go the The Kimmel Center.

Absolutely. I'd like that. We'll be butting heads all night long, I'm sure :) Do it over Chopin Vodka and I'm game :)

Quiet Reflections
05-27-2009, 11:25 PM

you are right DC is very expensive but comparing school is silly there are failures and successes from all schools and your education is what you make of it. Many criminals have come from Ivy league schools and many lawyers from American U, Doctors from George Washington U. When it comes down to it its more the person doing the learning than the school

Quiet Reflections
05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
AND The Eagles are way better than the Skins

kalina
05-27-2009, 11:50 PM
you are right DC is very expensive but comparing school is silly there are failures and successes from all schools and your education is what you make of it. Many criminals have come from Ivy league schools and many lawyers from American U, Doctors from George Washington U. When it comes down to it its more the person doing the learning than the school

You're right, but Chuck was mentioning the education level of the people here, so I had to mention colleges in both cities. Obviously, secondary school education might be a whole different story. Philly does have a bad school system and that's why many resort to private schools, but there are great public schools around. You just have to live near them and have kids that are smart enough to get into them. Masterman and Central are two of our magnet schools here.

Although I defend Philly a lot, I'm actually a native New Yorker, born and raised in Brooklyn. I was just in my old neighborhood (Bensonhurst) this weekend and it is like going to an alien planet now. Before it was all Jewish and Italian. Now it's all Chinese and Russian. Many good restaurants within a six block walk. But I'd never want to live there again.

kalina
05-27-2009, 11:51 PM

#4 in the power rankings, but that's only on paper for now.

Chuck
05-28-2009, 02:36 AM

#4 in the power rankings, but that's only on paper for now.

The Skins suck! We accept that and still love them, but they can no longer break our hearts.

The Eagles are monumental CHOKERS. They break your fucking hearts every year and will do it again next season.

RubyTS
05-28-2009, 03:53 AM
well i can say i've been to both philly and dc, and philly may appear to be more hood, BUT i have always made bank staying in center city east. I've met some interesting people and haven't had anyone try to negotiate my rates, as oppose to DC where every single caller did. I was there 5 days and i didn't see one client.

On another note, shopping for clothes in philly is awful! I walked around for HOURS and only found 1 top i liked. But i did find some very unique wigs (not that i ever wear them, but the shopping bug bit me and i couldn't go back without buying SOMETHING)

BLKGSXR
05-28-2009, 03:56 AM

#4 in the power rankings, but that's only on paper for now.(Blkgsxr wearing my eagles Neck-keychain) :) I like the eagles so if people dont,dont be a prick all I have to say...not directed to the quotee;s

Chuck
05-28-2009, 04:08 AM
well i can say i've been to both philly and dc, and philly may appear to be more hood, BUT i have always made bank staying in center city east. I've met some interesting people and haven't had anyone try to negotiate my rates, as oppose to DC where every single caller did. I was there 5 days and i didn't see one client.

On another note, shopping for clothes in philly is awful! I walked around for HOURS and only found 1 top i liked. But i did find some very unique wigs (not that i ever wear them, but the shopping bug bit me and i couldn't go back without buying SOMETHING)

Forget median household income, employment rates, education, crime and all those other categories. The best way to judge a city is according to how much escorts make when they visit. Thanks for the enlightenment Ruby.

RubyTS
05-28-2009, 04:15 AM
Way to jump the gun.....

I was sharing my experience, take it however u like

tsmandy
05-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Philly is a tough town, especially if you end up in neighborhoods you don't belong in. It really is like the Oakland of the east coast, I thought that was an apt description.

I ended up in Philly originally because it was the punk mecca of the late 90's and is still going strong. It was a rough place to be for a while. My worst experiences were with cops though....fucking thugs.

Hey Quiet Reflections, I love that song by propagandhi used to listen to it everytime I was pissed off as a kid.

kalina
05-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Truth be told, I hang out only in Center City and make an occasional mall rat run to King of Prussia, so if y'all were talking about Philly from a North/South Philly perspective, then I *might* see how it could be less than desirable a place to be. In Philly, we've had three and four-star Mobil Guide restaurants here, there's a Ritz Carlton here, there are plenty of great museums and theaters around, and lots of things for yuppies to do.

Now, if you're talking about movie theaters, they got rid of two big ones since I moved here in 1989. Effectively, they want the urban youths to stay outside yuppie-ville. Proof of that is the remaining theaters all play foreign films with the exception of the Roxy which plays first-run stuff (like Dark Knight when it came out and now Terminator Salvation) but the theater is so tiny that urban youths don't want to see these movies in a dinky little theater where the sound comes out of the equivalent of PC speakers. There are plenty of cheap pizza places around but in general if you look at Center City/yuppie-ville, you probably won't see very many urban youths except for the area surrounding The Gallery mall. The area has lots of stores that always have sales (records, clothes, jewelry) but I'm not into places where there are no prices and you have to haggle with the owner.

So, what can I say, I'm a yuppie. I see Philly as basically Center City with all the advantages and little disadvantages. The area is great. It's loaded with security cams all over the place. An out of town friend stayed at a hotel and some thug entered his room and stole his wallet. The police were able to track him down within the NEXT DAY based on security cams in the hotel and on the streets. You probably don't see this kind of thing in North/South Philly.

If you take the commuter trains or Amtrak to Philly, you'll get to see all the poverty-stricken areas of Philly, places that some of you might refer to as "armpits." It is true. We have armpits, but so does NYC, Chicago, Boston, and any big city around. When I speak of my love for a city, I am not referring to any of these armpit areas. I'm referring to the major downtown area itself.

Chuck
05-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Philly is a tough town, especially if you end up in neighborhoods you don't belong in. It really is like the Oakland of the east coast, I thought that was an apt description.

I ended up in Philly originally because it was the punk mecca of the late 90's and is still going strong. It was a rough place to be for a while. My worst experiences were with cops though....fucking thugs.

Hey Quiet Reflections, I love that song by propagandhi used to listen to it everytime I was pissed off as a kid.

What you know bout Oaktown? Yeah, I lived in the East Bay for 6 years while in college. Oaktown is way worse than Philly, but a somewhat apt description nonetheless. Oakland has absolutely no culture. At least Philly has proud Italian American, Jewish, and African American communities. Also Philly has Center City. Oakland does not even have a section that it can proudly hang its hat on. But people from Oakland do remind me of people from Philly in terms of their mindset. They're all a bunch of brokes ass bamas who have no idea that there is a whole world beyond their borders.

Quiet Reflections
05-29-2009, 12:14 AM

1993 was a good year for music. I was in High School when that came out and got to go to Canada and see one of their shows there. A great group for sure

IndyCloset
05-30-2009, 03:32 AM

Dirty Town????
Larger version of Camden???!

Hah! Just because your sorry ass didn't have the means to make it past the ghetto areas doesn't make an intirely bad city.

Try Mount Airy, Far NE Philly, Overbrook, Chestnut hill, Roxborough, Manayunk etc...

I'm sure your the typical trick so you should know that you get what you pay for.

So if your so high and mighty then why didn't Mr. "Sophisticated" live in Montgomery County? Springfield? Hell why not Sharon Hill if you could take the Philly heat?

There's over 500k women in this city and just because you couldn't hook up with one (ts or otherwise) doesn't make it a 3rd world country.

I'll say this though, it's definately not a city that's bilt for sensitive lames, so trust that you wont be missed....

RubyTS
05-30-2009, 03:48 AM
wow i can cut through the tension in this thread like warm pee through fresh snow

flabbybody
05-30-2009, 04:29 AM
north Philly's safer than a lot of "expensive" areas on Long Island's south shore.
it just depends on your skin color

imus123
05-30-2009, 04:31 AM
wow i can cut through the tension in this thread like warm pee through fresh snow

I wish you would come back to Philly for awhile

RubyTS
05-30-2009, 04:53 AM
if u whish even harder maybe you could wind up @ the hilton booking my room *wink*

flabbybody
05-30-2009, 05:04 AM
only the best for Ruby
thats where the Mets stay

celticgrafix
06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
hah, damn u a bitch kid, that section is boring, in decline my ass

celticgrafix
06-05-2009, 07:28 AM
north Philly's safer than a lot of "expensive" areas on Long Island's south shore.
it just depends on your skin color

haha wow, stick to manhatten, like u been in north north

celticgrafix
06-05-2009, 07:35 AM

Not all of us like cheesesteaks, pretzels, and the so-called Philly food. Some of us like Morimoto (which I've been taken to 19 times), Vetri, Lacroix, and Le Bec Fin.

thats what i like to hear, been to fogo de chao?

Chuck
06-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Dirty Town????
Larger version of Camden???!

Hah! Just because your sorry ass didn't have the means to make it past the ghetto areas doesn't make an intirely bad city.

Try Mount Airy, Far NE Philly, Overbrook, Chestnut hill, Roxborough, Manayunk etc...

I'm sure your the typical trick so you should know that you get what you pay for.

So if your so high and mighty then why didn't Mr. "Sophisticated" live in Montgomery County? Springfield? Hell why not Sharon Hill if you could take the Philly heat?

There's over 500k women in this city and just because you couldn't hook up with one (ts or otherwise) doesn't make it a 3rd world country.

I'll say this though, it's definately not a city that's bilt for sensitive lames, so trust that you wont be missed....[/quote]

Five Hundred Thousand Broke ass women looking for a handout. Yeah, I've seen those neighborhoods you mentioned. Uhhh, last time I checked Montgomery County is NOT part of Philadelphia. It's a separate county, and yes the standard of living is way better there. As for the others, I'm kind of embarassed for a city that throws those out there as the best they have to offer. Philly is good for only two things. A place to pick up a cheesesteak while on the way to New York and a pit stop to fill up on some cheap gas. Oh yeah, and people in the medical profession are thriving in Philly with all the gunshot wounds they have to treat. But that's nothing compared to way the Mortuary / Funeral Home business is thriving. If you have a funeral home in Philly you might find yourself on the Fortune 500 list this year. Killing is the cities #1 industry. I'm glad that people live there voluntarily as if its the best city in the world. It keeps the rest of us from having to build walls around it to keep you fools in, like in Escape from New York.

flabbybody
06-05-2009, 09:52 PM
we don't have any WaWa's in nyc :(

http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/hoagies.aspx

and supposedly Newports are $5.75 in Philly

kalina
06-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Yes, I have :) but I recommend not eating breakfast and lunch to prepare for that. There's just so much meat there!

celticgrafix
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM

Yes, I have :) but I recommend not eating breakfast and lunch to prepare for that. There's just so much meat there!

haha right, u gotta prepare for that, my favorite though, been there 2 dozen times, u tried the place across from the new ritz, cant think of the name right now, it used to be a bank?

kalina
06-06-2009, 01:05 AM
haha right, u gotta prepare for that, my favorite though, been there 2 dozen times, u tried the place across from the new ritz, cant think of the name right now, it used to be a bank?

You mean Del Frisco's? Yep, on the first week that it opened. There's an awesome crab asparagus soup there I had that was a special. I had a ribeye there which was good, but not as good as Morton's or Capital Grille.

celticgrafix
06-06-2009, 04:44 AM

You mean Del Frisco's? Yep, on the first week that it opened. There's an awesome crab asparagus soup there I had that was a special. I had a ribeye there which was good, but not as good as Morton's or Capital Grille.

damn yeh your good, yes it is, mortons is good

kalina
06-06-2009, 06:40 AM

damn yeh your good, yes it is, mortons is good

:)

I actually like lamb a lot more than beef. Lamb just tickles that special spot in me :)

kalina
06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Here's an excerpt from my December 2007 journal where I talk about how Philly has changed over the years:

I like Philadelphia because of its diversity and wealth of opportunity. When I first moved here back in 1989, this city literally looked like a big dump. There was filth everywhere and nobody seemed to be emptying the public trash cans. The city is a lot more developed now. There are more stores than ever before and people from nearby cities actually want to move in and live here because it’s a much more cosmopolitan city now than it was ten to fifteen years ago. Back in the old days, the early 90s, there wasn’t much of a transgender scene. It was basically a bunch of drag queens, including Mortimer who became a prolific drag entertainer in Atlantic City, as well as my clubkid friends Jayna and Ciana and me.

Our small group defined and developed the transgender scene as it were well into the early 2000s. One by one the old queens moved out of Philly or stopped doing drag. New queens moved into the scene, girls who thought they were so beautiful, some of whom actually were. These new girls didn’t acknowledge the girls who started it all and paved the way for others to walk the streets comfortably during the day and night. If it weren’t for girls like me, many of you would be sitting at home right now with nowhere to go.

Besides Mortimer, there is one fierce drag entertainer whom I will mention as an influence of mine and someone whom every Philly trans girl should idolize. Her name is Miss Phoenixx and she is often sought for club and radio work for her dramatic appearance and unique voice. If there ever was a “mother of drag” in Philadelphia, Miss Phoenixx would be a worthy holder of that title.

Many girls acknowledge my influence over the transgender scene in Philadelphia and I am grateful for their acknowledgements, but I give full credit to the people who attend the events I create. It’s these people who make my events a success and I am thankful that there are many who share my vision of making my city a better place for us all. Happy holidays, everyone!

flabbybody
06-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Philly's become the drag capital of America thx in part to you Kalina

chelseafc
06-10-2009, 03:06 AM
Damn Y'all beating up on Philly Like That...SHITTTT

In my neighborhood in the NE, things are fine, but there is the ocassional trouble here and there but that generally happens in every major city.

Just beware of your surroundings, keeping in mind that it "Killadelphia, Pistolvannia"

Bobzz
06-10-2009, 03:16 AM

That's maybe what I dislike so immensely about the Philadelphia T-gal scene. I don't consider (and I know this may be heresy) men who do drag to be transgendered, they simply have an erotic fetish. They are no more women than I am a ob/gyn if I were to put on scrubs and start poking around my wife's vagina. Yeah, I know that it sounds harsh and that I'll probably be wildly unpopular until the next time someone says something controversial but I think of all the other women who have truly made the committment 24/7 by way of surgical and hormonal intervention. These gals deserve the title transgendered (as if I'm entitled to give out titles). Not only does it seem to be an insult to equate drag queens with people who are transgendered, it's simply comparing apples and doorknobs.

kalina
06-10-2009, 04:05 AM

Yup. :)

kalina
06-10-2009, 04:09 AM

That's maybe what I dislike so immensely about the Philadelphia T-gal scene. I don't consider (and I know this may be heresy) men who do drag to be transgendered, they simply have an erotic fetish. They are no more women than I am a ob/gyn if I were to put on scrubs and start poking around my wife's vagina. Yeah, I know that it sounds harsh and that I'll probably be wildly unpopular until the next time someone says something controversial but I think of all the other women who have truly made the committment 24/7 by way of surgical and hormonal intervention. These gals deserve the title transgendered (as if I'm entitled to give out titles). Not only does it seem to be an insult to equate drag queens with people who are transgendered, it's simply comparing apples and doorknobs.

Many of us started out as drag queens and then realized that there was more to it than drag.

Me, I never performed as a drag queen. Ever. But I respect the drag queens and the female impressionists. I knew many who became full-time women. So just because you started life as a drag queen doesn't mean you're always a drag queen.

flabbybody
06-10-2009, 04:42 AM

drag is artful self-expression. It's a form of entertainment that takes practice, dedication,and preparation. It does not compete with people who live full time as transgendered women
so what exactly do you find insulting?

Bobzz
06-10-2009, 10:52 AM

drag is artful self-expression. It's a form of entertainment that takes practice, dedication,and preparation. It does not compete with people who live full time as transgendered women
so what exactly do you find insulting?

Perhaps on the drag stuff I stand corrected, if it's a means to an end of full time transitioning (I guess it could be considered entertainment but I find it simply silly and just because it may be entertainment still doesn't make it transgendered. e.g. Flip Wilson) I'm thinking more of the men who are the drag queens, cross-dressers or transvestites and who insist that they're getting in touch with their "femme" side by dressing. What are they doing "channeling the ghost of Bea Arthur?" Typically, after sex or their performance they go back to wearing men's clothes. That's simply fetishistic behavior and while I like fetishes as much as the next person (sometimes even more!) I think it is foolish to think that that type of behavior, whether it's dressing for sex or to simply get up on a stage and lip sync to Diana Ross or someone else, equates to or even approximates being "transgendered". While hardly definitive, a representative measure of this behavior is found on CL, men who identify as being transgendered simply because they slap on a pair of panties or stockings and a garter belt (almost all are non-passable). That's not transgendered in my book, that's fetish.

kalina
06-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Perhaps on the drag stuff I stand corrected, if it's a means to an end of full time transitioning (I guess it could be considered entertainment but I find it simply silly and just because it may be entertainment still doesn't make it transgendered. e.g. Flip Wilson) I'm thinking more of the men who are the drag queens, cross-dressers or transvestites and who insist that they're getting in touch with their "femme" side by dressing. What are they doing "channeling the ghost of Bea Arthur?" Typically, after sex or their performance they go back to wearing men's clothes. That's simply fetishistic behavior and while I like fetishes as much as the next person (sometimes even more!) I think it is foolish to think that that type of behavior, whether it's dressing for sex or to simply get up on a stage and lip sync to Diana Ross or someone else, equates to or even approximates being "transgendered". While hardly definitive, a representative measure of this behavior is found on CL, men who identify as being transgendered simply because they slap on a pair of panties or stockings and a garter belt (almost all are non-passable). That's not transgendered in my book, that's fetish.

There are crossdressers who use their images to get sex as a primary objective, but there are also crossdressers who use their images to get sex but truly wish they were women all the time. They enjoy the company of men because men make them feel complete, like they're women, like how they should've been born. They go through life questioning why God made them this way and sometimes they do many things to their bodies to look and be more like women because they truly wish they were women. They get ragged on by insensitive people who don't understand them and they might get called disparaging things or things to make them feel bad about themselves.

Are they women? In their minds, they are and perhaps that is what makes them women. Suddenly, you can't call them crossdressers anymore. You can call them transsexuals or inbetweeners or whatever, but a drag queen isn't the right term for many of these women. There are part-time crossdressers who are drag queens (which, to me, implies campiness and flamboyance) and there are full-time transsexuals who perform lipsynching just because they enjoy it and some might consider them drag queens, but they're not. They're entertainers. Female impressionists. (The term female impersonator has been used for a long time now, but that has negative connotations to those who are full-time.) The term drag queen should be limited to those who do clown variety drag.

As a tribute to your Gomez avatar, here's me 'n' Gomez...

Bobzz
06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Eloquently stated.

As for the John Astin photograph, I'm envious.

Chuck
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Kalina, what is there to do in Philly on a Thursday night?

kalina
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Hi Chuck,

Not much anymore. There's Lisa's Bob and Barbaras Lounge, which is basically a female impressionist show although many straight people will simply label as a drag queen show (an old review on City Paper (from 2004) even referred to all the transssexual women as "he" or "him"). 12th Air used to have drag shows. The good thing about the drag shows and female impressionist shows is they really do bring in every transgender variant person in them. You will find mostly crossdressers out of the transgender variant people, but who knows? The next crossdresser might eventually go full-time.

There are many straight and self-proclaimed straight people going to Bob and Barbara's, but it's more like a local dive bar that attracts college kids and grumpy old men from the local neighborhood. Both types seem to enjoy the shows there on Thursdays because, truth be told, Lisa can really turn it when she's in front of a good crowd.

Uncles has really turned into a kind of escort hangout recently, so if that's your thing, then that might be a good place.

I think most of the passable transsexuals (the small, petite ones) will just go anywhere because they won't be clocked so it is always possible to go to a predominantly straight bar or lounge (which look a helluva lot better than most gay bars, I'll tell you) and meet a transsexual there. I used to love the Striped Bass when it was around and then it was the Swann Lounge in the Four Seasons and more recently Sofitel.

Chuck
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM

Hi Chuck,

Not much anymore. There's Lisa's Bob and Barbaras Lounge, which is basically a female impressionist show although many straight people will simply label as a drag queen show (an old review on City Paper (from 2004) even referred to all the transssexual women as "he" or "him"). 12th Air used to have drag shows. The good thing about the drag shows and female impressionist shows is they really do bring in every transgender variant person in them. You will find mostly crossdressers out of the transgender variant people, but who knows? The next crossdresser might eventually go full-time.

There are many straight and self-proclaimed straight people going to Bob and Barbara's, but it's more like a local dive bar that attracts college kids and grumpy old men from the local neighborhood. Both types seem to enjoy the shows there on Thursdays because, truth be told, Lisa can really turn it when she's in front of a good crowd.

Uncles has really turned into a kind of escort hangout recently, so if that's your thing, then that might be a good place.

I think most of the passable transsexuals (the small, petite ones) will just go anywhere because they won't be clocked so it is always possible to go to a predominantly straight bar or lounge (which look a helluva lot better than most gay bars, I'll tell you) and meet a transsexual there. I used to love the Striped Bass when it was around and then it was the Swann Lounge in the Four Seasons and more recently Sofitel.

Thanks Kalina! Bob & Barbera's is still opened? I used to know Lisa about 13 years ago. That's a very unique place. Everyone in there is straight (wink wink). I used to get so shit faced in there drinking "the special" -- a shot of Jim Beam and a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon for $2. Haven't been there in a about six years. It might be worth checking out. Meet me there? LOL

kalina
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Kalina! Bob & Barbera's is still opened? I used to know Lisa about 13 years ago. That's a very unique place. Everyone in there is straight (wink wink). I used to get so shit faced in there drinking "the special" -- a shot of Jim Beam and a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon for $2. Haven't been there in a about six years. It might be worth checking out. Meet me there? LOL

Yep, it's still going strong. I can honestly say that Lisa has been an inspiration to me because she just seems to love life but also takes shit from noone. They still have that special, only it's $3 now :)

They also have "small" or "large" sized mixed drinks. The large is basically two and a half drinks at any other bar for a measly 50% price over the small. The price difference used to be $4 and $6.

I'd love to, but I have Impressionism class on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Tonight's my midterm. :(

Chuck
06-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Yep, it's still going strong. I can honestly say that Lisa has been an inspiration to me because she just seems to love life but also takes shit from noone. They still have that special, only it's $3 now :)

They also have "small" or "large" sized mixed drinks. The large is basically two and a half drinks at any other bar for a measly 50% price over the small. The price difference used to be $4 and $6.

I'd love to, but I have Impressionism class on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Tonight's my midterm. :(

Good luck! Thanks for the info.

flabbybody
06-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Tierra Colombiana has a drag show every Thursday with special guest headliners on the last Thursday of the month

it's also an upscale Spanish restaurant with great food and prices

http://www.myspace.com/rainbow_at_jstreet

kalina
06-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Tierra Colombiana has a drag show every Thursday with special guest headliners on the first Thursday of the month

Oh, yes! I didn't even think of that because they were so far up north from me.

Mixto (on the card) is downtown and is the sister restaurant to the other listed on the card. Mixto is a really fabulous place to eat if you're ever in the city. They have great Mojitos there, too.

Chuck
06-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Tierra Colombiana has a drag show every Thursday with special guest headliners on the last Thursday of the month

Is that a safe neighborhood? What's it near?

Chuck
06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
So which one is happening tonight?

flabbybody
06-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Is that a safe neighborhood? What's it near?

chuck, you're in North Philly so I wouldn't go wandering around by myself at 2AM. That goes for any big city neighborhood late at night.
But you're inside of a club so enjoy yourself. there's plenty of parking across the street

kalina
06-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I'd personally stay in the city. :)
But that's me. If I wanted to go up there, I'd rent myself a car so my Bimmer wouldn't get stripped.

Helvis2012
06-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I walk in Tribeca here in NYC where Robert DeNiro and Tom Brady lives and I get spit on by deranged homeless people. and the rats are the size of small dogs.
and forget about buying lunch for less than $7

Philly is tame compared to New York.

C'mon flabbybody, are you kidding? New York is the safest place in the world. It's a fucking police state.

Yeah, there's rats but there rats in every city. Sure it's expensive, but that's also why it's turned into a police state. The powers that be don't want all the millionaires to worry, so there are cops everywhere you turn.
I don't what to say about guys spitting on you but you know that's odd. Definitely out of the norm, so I don't think it's valid to characterize the city with that story. Shit can happen anywhere but these days, New York is way beyond it's grittier self. The old, rough, tough, NYC is long gone. Shit, there's fucking GAPS and Starbucks on Avenue C!

kalina
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
C'mon flabbybody, are you kidding? New York is the safest place in the world. It's a fucking police state.

Yeah, there's rats but there rats in every city. Sure it's expensive, but that's also why it's turned into a police state. The powers that be don't want all the millionaires to worry, so there are cops everywhere you turn.
I don't what to say about guys spitting on you but you know that's odd. Definitely out of the norm, so I don't think it's valid to characterize the city with that story. Shit can happen anywhere but these days, New York is way beyond it's grittier self. The old, rough, tough, NYC is long gone. Shit, there's fucking GAPS and Starbucks on Avenue C!

All major cities are safer these days due to video surveillance systems. A friend of mine got robbed one day and he called the Philly police and they tracked the guy down using video surveillance tapes from different areas of the city. A thief can't hide any more, which is cool. What is uncool is if I have an itch and need to scratch... who the heck might be watching me scratch? :)

True story, though, as a child in my Bensonhurst neighborhood, I was basically one of only a handful of Asians there. I rode my bike around the block and what I could only describe as a blonde white kid spit in my face. I was probably no more than 12. I vowed to get out of that racist neighborhood by studying hard and not being average. So I moved out and when I go back on occasion to visit my family, my old neighborhood has really transformed into a place filled with Asians. Much more diversity in the neighborhood these days even though I miss the old Lenny's pizzeria (now under Russian ownership, I'm afraid).

Helvis2012
06-11-2009, 07:24 PM

All major cities are safer these days due to video surveillance systems. A friend of mine got robbed one day and he called the Philly police and they tracked the guy down using video surveillance tapes from different areas of the city. A thief can't hide any more, which is cool. What is uncool is if I have an itch and need to scratch... who the heck might be watching me scratch? :)

True story, though, as a child in my Bensonhurst neighborhood, I was basically one of only a handful of Asians there. I rode my bike around the block and what I could only describe as a blonde white kid spit in my face. I was probably no more than 12. I vowed to get out of that racist neighborhood by studying hard and not being average. So I moved out and when I go back on occasion to visit my family, my old neighborhood has really transformed into a place filled with Asians. Much more diversity in the neighborhood these days even though I miss the old Lenny's pizzeria (now under Russian ownership, I'm afraid).

That's unfortunate. Shit like that is simply not tolerated anymore. Remember those little assholes from Howard Beach who beat a black kid to death when entered their neighborhood? I think that officially ended the neighborhood racists acting out. The city doesn't let that slide anymore.
Anyway, sorry you had to experience that. Ignorance can be very dangerous and cruel.
I think Rodney King said it best, "Why can't we all just get along?" Indeed.

flabbybody
06-12-2009, 01:25 AM
are you talking about the boy who was killed because he was running for his life from bat wielding white kids and got hit by a car on the Cross Island?

thats exactly the point. Howard Beach is the safest part of the city... if you're white. No one would ever call Howard Beach the hood but for that black kid North Philly would have been a lot safer that night

kalina
06-12-2009, 01:37 AM
are you talking about the boy who was killed because he was running for his life from bat wielding white kids and got hit by a car on the Cross Island?

thats exactly the point. Howard Beach is the safest part of the city... if you're white. No one would ever call Howard Beach the hood but for that black kid North Philly would have been a lot safer that night

The same could be said about Bensonhurst when I grew up there from 1968 to 1985. My elementary school class photos will show that I'm one of two Asian kids in the class. There was also one black kid. The rest were white. My father told me about some group that went around the neighborhood asking for money so they could prevent black families from moving into the neighborhood. This is SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP. Thankfully, I went to a diverse high school (Brooklyn Tech). About 80% of my friends were black. My parents had problems with that, but I didn't care. Interestingly, I wore mascara and eyeshadow to school. At any other high school, a twerpy Asian boy wearing makeup would be beaten to death so I'm glad I went to a geeky high school.

Helvis2012
06-12-2009, 03:32 AM

Like i said, it's the safest city in the country.....sorry it no longer matches, the hard NYC reputation of days old but it's the truth......anyone who lives here will agree. And you say you live in Tibeca? Sure, there's a lot white-collar crime there, but nothing threatening on the street.

kalina
06-12-2009, 03:45 AM
I do agree that NYC is pretty safe now. I myself would stick to well-lit streets and take cabs everywhere. A coworker friend of mine got jumped by a gang of thugs in Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights), but he takes the subway everywhere. Honestly, it's a Disney World amusement park in Times Square at night. The lights are so strong you can see everyone better than during the day. I'll bet they have heavy video surveillance there. I guess I can't scratch myself :)

Chuck
06-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Kalina, I was in your city last night. Did some club hopping and must admit that I had a decent time. I went to the spanish club on North 5th that someone on here recommended. It was not what I expected. It's actually a nice place. I thought it would be the typical philly dive but it's a very nice club. Is it a gay club or is it a straight club with a gay Thursday night?

From there I went to Bob & Barbera's and caught a little bit of Lisa's show, and of course got me one "special." I can't believe how I used to throw down with "Specials" back in my heavy partying days. Then I went to 13th Street and checked out Uncles where I hung out till 2. But I wasn't done yet. Went to Pure after that, hung out for an hour. Hit Geno's Steaks at about 3:30 and then headed home. So I guess I must admit that Philly is not all that bad.

kalina
06-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Kalina, I was in your city last night. Did some club hopping and must admit that I had a decent time. I went to the spanish club on North 5th that someone on here recommended. It was not what I expected. It's actually a nice place. I thought it would be the typical philly dive but it's a very nice club. Is it a gay club or is it a straight club with a gay Thursday night?

From there I went to Bob & Barbera's and caught a little bit of Lisa's show, and of course got me one "special." I can't believe how I used to throw down with "Specials" back in my heavy partying days. Then I went to 13th Street and checked out Uncles where I hung out till 2. But I wasn't done yet. Went to Pure after that, hung out for an hour. Hit Geno's Steaks at about 3:30 and then headed home. So I guess I must admit that Philly is not all that bad.

Awesome! I'm glad you had a good time. Let me know if you're coming back and maybe we'll meet. My class is over on July 6.

flabbybody
06-12-2009, 10:37 PM

hey that was me plugging Tierra Colombiana on North 5th.
glad u liked it. hope u got a parking spot
Thursday is gay night when they have the special drag performances
I'll be out there one of these days

Chuck
06-13-2009, 10:52 PM

hey that was me plugging Tierra Colombiana on North 5th.
glad u liked it. hope u got a parking spot
Thursday is gay night when they have the special drag performances
I'll be out there one of these days

Thanks for the rec. It's a nice club. Parking was no problem. It wasn't crowded last Thursday. That's why I was asking if it is a regular gay club or a straight club with a gay night.

Also, what is there to do in Philly on a Saturday or Sunday?